just bought the wife a '98 EB Explorer - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

just bought the wife a '98 EB Explorer

'98 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD 4.0 SOHC V6. Runs great. Very strong motor for a 6. I'm surprised by how tall it is. I'm looking eye to eye to Fullsize 4WD trucks. Feels great to have her back in a Ford again. That old S-10 Blazer was killing me on repairs. I feel like it owned my Saturdays.

Any tips from Explorer owners?

B

97 T-Bird Sport: Dynomax catback, Removed silencer w/ K&N panel, DReinhart chip, Lightning AGSF12-FM1 plugs/180 stat, Tokico 1.25" dropped stance, bye bye fender gap

'79 F100 SB : 300 ci six, Hurst Mastershift 3spd floor shifter, Offenhauser intake, Holley 4 brrl, EFI manifolds, Chebbie Rockers, Summit Racing 3.50 gearset, DISO 2.5" diesel muffler and 2.5" exhaust, Its'a six?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 09:36 AM
Boom.

4-spd or 5-spd auto?

The SOHC 4.0 has some timing chain issues that can be expensive to repair, other than that I don't know of any more problems.

TCCoABAMFC - Founding Member
Official Member of the TCCoA Evil Underground Moderator Conspiracy
TCCoA Gun Club

2003 Mach 1 - 4.6L DOHC V8/4R70W

1995 Cougar XR7 - PI 4.6L SOHC V8
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

A smooth 5spd auto. I saw some info on the timing chain issues. I need to research it more. There is a "volantary" recall on it, whatever that means. The only other concern I have is the composite intake cracking, though I haven't found that to be a problem in searches.
I think this thing has a variable length runner intake, I swear I feel it kicking in. It has a pretty good top end and strong torque.

B

97 T-Bird Sport: Dynomax catback, Removed silencer w/ K&N panel, DReinhart chip, Lightning AGSF12-FM1 plugs/180 stat, Tokico 1.25" dropped stance, bye bye fender gap

'79 F100 SB : 300 ci six, Hurst Mastershift 3spd floor shifter, Offenhauser intake, Holley 4 brrl, EFI manifolds, Chebbie Rockers, Summit Racing 3.50 gearset, DISO 2.5" diesel muffler and 2.5" exhaust, Its'a six?!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 10:15 AM
Only you can prevent modular fires

Send a message via AIM to Nicktcfcsb Send a message via Yahoo to Nicktcfcsb
I would have gotten the 5.0L one but thats just cuase I pull a trailer with mine

Dry rot is the sh*t.

"Thunder-cougar-falcon-cobra-stang-mark8-SC-bird" IS SOLD!

Dodge VIPER GTS blown and winged.

1987 Saleen #79 Turbocharged # 40 On the Top 100 Rarest Mustangs!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

I like the 5.0 too, but all the 5.0 are either AWD or 2WD. I wanted a low range for some of my favorite kayaking/fishing holes. The v6 has good power. The 5.0 would be easier to mod. But it is the wifes truck and if I mod anything it'll be the Bird. Can't be too picky when buying used. This one was really clean so we took it. I really wanted a Durango with the 5.9, but they didn't seem to reliable and all felt really loose.

B

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 11:17 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to PoisonPancakes
We have a 92 Explorer 4.0L that my wife drives and shes been wanting a newer one. If you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for the 98?

rick

96 Thunderbird LX 4.6L V8
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

$7600. KBB and the bank both had it at over $9000 retail. It was clean and the right price so took it. I was able to talk to the former owner who boughtit new. His name came up when i had the Ford Dealer run the VIN. They went ahead and ran Oasis and all the recalls had already been done.

B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in