Car help, please- not for a Ford - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Car help, please- not for a Ford

Ok, I have an 88 Nissan Stanza that is clean as the day it was built. Belonged to my wife's mom, and she barely drove it anywhere. It has been running great since we got it recently, until now...

Ok, I parked it in the garage thurs. night, and then it snowed. I then parked it up by the house so she could go to work on Fri.- no problems.

Go out to start it for her today, and nothing. All it will do is turn over, but not fire. After cursing it for being a rice burner, she tells me that it was kinda hard to start Friday night when she was leaving work

Now, I have pushed it into the garage to see what the deal is. The weak spot on this car is the dist. and rotor, as I have heard, so I pull the cap off and check. The rotor looks ok, but the cap had some corrosion on the contacts, so I cleaned them off. Re-assemble, turn the key. Same issue. I checked for spark w/ my inline spark tool, and it shows I have spark while turning the key. I smell gas from the engine, so I know it's getting gas, as I had flooded it previously, lol... Is this a "no air", thing, or something else? I'm beginning to think that possibly the gas has frozen in a line somewhere, but it's a pretty long shot, as it has sat through numerous winters in the past, and never had this happen. Anyone w/ some constructive ideas are more than welcome. I really don't want to get up at 8am on Sun. and drive my wife back to work. It's my sleep in day, lol...

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 08:57 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to goodguy
I'm no mechanic by any means but I would be thinking along the line of a sensor going bad. The cold may be effecting it. Maybe you can check the codes (if it has any) and see what they say. Just a thought.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Yea, I may have to try that, if I can scan for any codes. I don't have a scanner for this car, and since it won't start, kinda hard to have Autozone do it. I'm beginning to think MAF, or maybe the cam sensor. I'm checking the EEC connections right now for loose/corroded connections, seeing as how it's mounted under the pass. side front seat. Nothing looks bad, but checking anyway. I have a feeling it's going to be something under the hood. Thanks for the tip. I may be able to use my voltmeter as a scanner.

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in