Desktop 3 18.75%
No opinion 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to lightevergreenfrost
desk or laptop computer.

I have gone to dell.com and built two computers, one desk and one lap top. They are as similar as I could make them. The laptop has 20gigs less hard drive memory but is very convienent (sp?). It also cost about $40 more (thats not a big deal). 4 of my 5 classes require assigments on the computer done at least once a week. One of my classes has group assignments. I am getting MS office free from a friend. Which should I get?

ps. I am a 3rd year ag. econ. major.

T-Bird Registry Number 27526
My Car Domain Site
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2282851
My Space:
http://www.myspace.com/jordonjones
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 11:52 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to mastarecoil
I prefer desktops. Thats just becuase my p4 2.8ghz 512mb 40gb 1year warrenty system from dell was under $300 shipped. If you really want a laptop though, make battery life your top condiseration in models.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 11:53 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Crystal Send a message via MSN to Crystal Send a message via Yahoo to Crystal
Depends on if you plan on doing other stuff with it outside of school. If you plan on playing games and stuff like that, a laptop won't be your best choice.

If you just plan on using it to surf the web, some word processing and little stuff like that, I'd probably get the laptop, especially if space is an issue.

I have both and use them all the time. If I have to do heavy graphics work, I use the desktop, if I'm screwing around on the net, I pull out the laptop and the desktop goes in to either tv, movie, or radio mode (how it spends most of its time)
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 12:03 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to goodguy
Go for the laptop. I own both and use the laptop the most. Plus look at it this way. It is portable for those little task like say, if you wanted to tune the chip in your car, or school projects that you need to do somewhere else. They also hold there value better.
You can do everything with a laptop that you can with the desk top. Plus take it with you.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 12:09 PM
Reverse Gear Poster

I did the same thing a couple of months ago. My desktop computer was 3 years old and needed upgrades, so I went shopping on Dell and compared several desktop and laptop configurations.

I went with the Inspiron 9200 because it offered desktop replacement capability and also gave me the mobility that I need. It's nice to be able to do my work where ever I am, watch a DVD in bed, work from my GF place, and so on. The 17" widescreen is bigger than the 17" on my previous desktop.

I need it for work, so I can take all of my materials with me for presentation.

I even connect to wireless networks in residential areas without reconfiguration, as well as my home wireless network. I use a firewall, so I'm assuming that protects my data from intrusion, but I'm not a network admin.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 12:30 PM
Johnny Five is Alive
TCCoAAC Member

Send a message via AIM to WkStill Send a message via Yahoo to WkStill
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightevergreenfrost
MS office free from a friend. Which should I get?

By a LEGAL copy of Office. :=)

You can get a cheap laptop for around $600 that will be fine for your college needs. Never buy a Super Duper Laptop..

I have two 2.4Ghz Sony Vaio's w/1gig of Ram I don't even use. I have a tuning laptop that i do most of my electronic projects which is only a Celeron 900, w/512mb Ram, and 30gig HDD..

my work machine is a P4 3.4ghz, 1gig rm, 320gig SATA HDD, 21" LCD desktop. (Ibm # 6220-54U, w/Upgraded ram & hdd)

1984 Merc Cougar
5.0L, GT40X HEADS, E303 CAM,X303 Valvetrain
1998 4R70W Controlled by Baumannator TCS., 3.73 Track Lock Rear., Bauman Lev 3 Shift Kit.
190LPH, 67mm EGR, 65mm TB, 73mm C&L MAF, 24lb/h Inj, TwEECer RT, A3M EEC-IV
TCCoA-AHole Crew 2004
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own. They are not meant to start a flame war or discourage people. Just my honest opinion and nothing more
Just great, 4 mores years of GOP crap, Im republican, and I endorse this message
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 12:44 PM
Veteran Poster

make sure to check if Dell give's your school discounts before you buy. i know with my school (drexel) i can get anywhere from $50 to $300 off.

i also get deiscounts with Apple, if you wanna go that route. saved me $20 on my ipod.

All MN12/FN10 PA/NJ/MD/DE/NY people please check out: TSTaCC, feel free to register & say hi

'Krissy' 1997 Thunderbird LX Sport 281ci
Custom doesn't come in a Box
Slide or Die
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 01:56 PM
Geek w/Gearhead Complex

nothing beats a good desktop BUT for college, can't beat a lappy

96 Mark VIII [email protected] :: 03 radiator/fan - j-modded trans - BBK UD pulley kit - dual gauge pod - 28,000 B&M transcooler (w/ AN fits) - 3.73 locker (with speedo gear) - 180' thermo - 8.5mm wires - colder plugs
soon to install : "fixed" heads and a damn tune. Project snaked8 continues...
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 02:33 PM
Who is John Galt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarian

I had my desktop when I came to college, but my school makes you buy a laptop built to their specs. Over Thanksgiving, I just took my desktop home because I never used it (i.e.-I hadn't even turned it on for about 3 weeks). I'd say laptop, and if you want more hard drive space, save up some money and get an external drive.

"Won't work, can't be done"
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 02:47 PM
PostWhore

laptop - portable, compact, slim, plenty fast as a desktop when applicable, check for unplugged battery life, easy to upgrade hdd, memory, swappable bay drives(in most cases), wireless(when applicable)

desktop - not easily portable, not very compact(in most cases), not slim(in most cases), fast when applicable, very easy to upgrade, also wireless(but within a limited area)

your ultimate choice boils down to what you want to do with the system.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 02:50 PM
Boom.

Laptop. Definitely more flexible...and absolutely no question go with a laptop if your school has wifi on campus

TCCoABAMFC - Founding Member
Official Member of the TCCoA Evil Underground Moderator Conspiracy
TCCoA Gun Club

2003 Mach 1 - 4.6L DOHC V8/4R70W

1995 Cougar XR7 - PI 4.6L SOHC V8
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 04:13 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak Kid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarian
and yes, you can play games on it if you buy the right setup...My wife and I each have a newer laptop <1 yr old, and I can play anygame I have ever bought built in wireless kicks (_!_) TOO!!!! Just my .02.

Shane
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 04:46 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to whitecoug
I would vote laptop also, as I have both. I bought a brand new desktop when I started school, about 3 years ago. Was a good machine, never really had to do much work on it, besides the drafting stuff which I used the university's computers for, movies, music, games, and net. This spring I bought a 2 year old gateway laptop from a university in Iowa, which sells their laptops every two years (every student gets one, uses it, then gets a new one (private school)). anyway, I paid like $500 for it, still a very good machine, and coincidently this summer my desktop went belly up. it's fixed, but it never gets used anymore. needs memory, etc, etc. also, make sure you get wireless stuff on it too...very handy.

Joe

1994 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L Special Edition

PnP'd NPIs, PI Cams, PI intake, 80mm GT MAF, 24# Injectors, Shorty Headers, SCT Tuned, Jmod, Trans Cooler, 3.73's, Underdrives, Zex Dry kit 75 shot, Dirtydog TC, Trans built by Darrin, 97 Cupholders

219 RWHP/256 RWTQ NA
280 RWHP/343 RWTQ Bottle Fed (75 shot)
[email protected] mph 5/20/06

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Due to most of the replies I will most likely go with the laptop. My campus (U. of Kentucky) has wireless in most places I think, but I was waiting for the computer purchase to get internet in my apartment (small studio). Any suggestions on this. The laptop I am getting has the internal modem (56K) of course and I am getting it with all the wireless goodies. I just don't want to pay a lot of money for something and then realize I went the wrong route. I am not much of a computer gamer, that is why I got a ps2 for christmas.

My Car Domain Site
My Space:
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 07:54 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Crystal Send a message via MSN to Crystal Send a message via Yahoo to Crystal
Really depends on how much time you'll be spending online at home. If you only plan on being online an hour or so a day and it's just to check your e-mail and the boards, dial up wouldn't be too terrible unless you hit the pics/vid thread. I'm not a fan of dial up, but if you're really not accessing the web, there's no need to spend the $ on high speed.

If you're planning to be online for like 4-5 hours a day and want to download stuff, you'll go crazy on dial up, I had to house sit for my uncle for a coupe weeks on dial up when I was unemployed... it was terrible!

I've been on a high speed connection for years at home and work, I'd never be able to live off of dial up. Having to upload websites and stuff on a dial up connection is just not fun.

I have 6 computers set up at home, 2 for the family, 2 for me, my G3 iMac for testing web sites and my laptop. There's also the occsional couple of work laptops that come home between my dad and I, so wireless is a must have at my house. It all depends on how crazy you are...
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 08:16 AM
Geek w/Gearhead Complex

Talking

if you go with dell, get the 3 year with complete care. I paid about 300-400 for it and I made out like a bandit -- allow me to explain.

back in late 2000 I bought a inspiron 8000, 700mhz 128m of ram, 10gb hd, 14" monitor (that wasn't bad for the time). I had dropped it thanks to the strap on my laptop bag snapping and the corner landed square on to concrete and screwed the LCD. Over the course of two years they replaced EVERYTHING but the LCD and HD. Finally, 1 month before my warranty went out, the LCD finally went (white screen faded to black, really wild) -- in return, I got a refurbished 8200 with a 2ghz p4-m (cha-ching!) cpu, 512m of mem, 40gb hd, all new software AND a bag to carry it in -- FOR FREE. GET the 3 years warranty!!!

96 Mark VIII [email protected] :: 03 radiator/fan - j-modded trans - BBK UD pulley kit - dual gauge pod - 28,000 B&M transcooler (w/ AN fits) - 3.73 locker (with speedo gear) - 180' thermo - 8.5mm wires - colder plugs
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 10:44 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Drive XR7
Dell makes a good laptop. We use Latitudes exclusively here at work. I would definitely recommend a laptop over a desktop. If you like the big monitor, external mouse and external keyboard, just get a port replicator with the laptop. You can take advantage of wireless networks which are getting huge and I'm willing to bet they won't slow down.

Jason
2003 SVT Mustang Cobra #5364
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1991 Mercury Cougar XR7 5.0L - SOLD!
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 12:11 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightevergreenfrost
Due to most of the replies I will most likely go with the laptop. My campus (U. of Kentucky) has wireless in most places I think, but I was waiting for the computer purchase to get internet in my apartment (small studio). Any suggestions on this. The laptop I am getting has the internal modem (56K) of course and I am getting it with all the wireless goodies. I just don't want to pay a lot of money for something and then realize I went the wrong route. I am not much of a computer gamer, that is why I got a ps2 for christmas.
just a suggestion. check prices in your area for both dial-up and dsl. I was paying 27.00 each month for dial-up couple years ago. I now have wireless dsl for 3 towers and my laptop and only pay 29.00 each month for the past 3 years. check prices first before you shoot yourself in the foot. the amount of time you spend online in my opinion should not affect your decision. internet is internet and will always be internet.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 12:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
thats a no brainer, get one of each.

Slickdeals.net and xpbargains.com should be your homepage, to sniff out the dell deals.

I build custom computers, and if you want a cheap one you can't beat dell on price.

JH
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

I would like to thank everyone that helped make my decision. I got a Dell Inspiron 1150 with a 2.6 ghz processor 40gig hard drive and 256ram with an internal wireless. I got my cable modem installed yesterday, but have already had this thing on the campus wireless network. Once again thanks, it is a huge investment, especially for someone with 2 years left to go.

My Car Domain Site
My Space:
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 10:08 AM
Geek w/Gearhead Complex

got the warranty?

post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Got a two year, the three year was just beyond my budget. Only reason I got a two year was because I got a discount for working at advance auto (made a two year the same price as the one year).

My Car Domain Site
My Space:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in