Seat Belt Laws............. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Slacks 12 months a year
TCCoAAC Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LX-Tasy
Seat Belt Laws.............

I know that every state requires a seat belt but not every state requires a helmet, what can be done to change it so it is optional you wear your seat belt?

I dont want any negative comments or anyone talking smack, just straight up answers.
Thanks,
Chris

"My Other Ride Is Your Girl"
"If Nissan motorsports is Nismo, wouldn't Honda Motorsports be Homo?"
Before the internet, the village idiot would stay in his own village
REAL RACERS DRIVE STRAIGHT TO THE FINISH LINE, WHILE THE OTHERS DRIVE AROUND IN CIRCLES LOOKING FOR IT
05 Supercharged Ranger Edge tuned by www.blueovalchips.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 07:14 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to NUHBOY4.6
run for office, or just do whatever the hell you want.

***image removed from signature due to rule violation***
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 07:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
well if your car was equipped with a seatbelt, then the law says that you must wear it. If they took this law off the books, then the insurance companies would have a fit, they would be paying death benefits alot more often. Thats for sure.
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Slacks 12 months a year
TCCoAAC Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LX-Tasy
NUHBOY4.6----well thats not an option at the time, plus politics bore the hell out of me.
JustinH----They took the law out for helmets so why couldnt it be done for seatbelts?

I dont want to start any crap on here but I feel that sometimes a seat belt can do more harm then good.I just think it should be an option to the driver, unless passengers are in the car.Then you should be required to wear it so you dont become a projectile to the passengers.

Thanks,
Chris

"My Other Ride Is Your Girl"
"If Nissan motorsports is Nismo, wouldn't Honda Motorsports be Homo?"
Before the internet, the village idiot would stay in his own village
REAL RACERS DRIVE STRAIGHT TO THE FINISH LINE, WHILE THE OTHERS DRIVE AROUND IN CIRCLES LOOKING FOR IT
05 Supercharged Ranger Edge tuned by www.blueovalchips.com
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 07:25 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to NUHBOY4.6
belive me, i agree with you a 100%. soon they will be telling us what to do in our own homes. NO SEX AFTER 12.

***image removed from signature due to rule violation***
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 08:20 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Crystal Send a message via MSN to Crystal Send a message via Yahoo to Crystal
When school buses have seatbelts, I'll agree with the law. It's funny how I have to wear one at age 2 or get fined, but a bunch of 8 year olds can bounce around in a bus and it's no big deal.

Air bags are my real enemy. Gotta love the fact that you're not supposed to shut them off but if I happen to be driving when it goes off, I'm as good as dead... comforting thought.

I'm hoping to get a newer daily driver in the next few months and you can bet that the air bag is as good as gone.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 08:29 PM
TGJ
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX-Tasy
I know that every state requires a seat belt but not every state requires a helmet, what can be done to change it so it is optional you wear your seat belt?

I dont want any negative comments or anyone talking smack, just straight up answers.
Thanks,
Chris
Get a car made from the 50's - 60's that came without them and drive it. That is the only way you would get away with it here.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 08:57 PM
$.25 poster

Send a message via AIM to AlpineBird
Crystal, school busses do have seatbelts now

'96 Alpine Bird 281ci
- Clear Corners
- DynoMax Cat-Back
- Purchased with 36,000 miles, now at 101k
- No mods planned untill it's DD life is over

1998 5.9 Limited Grand Cherokee
- Flowmaster Exhaust
- AEM Brute Force Intake
- Mopar Performance ECU

- 275hp-395ft/lbs at the crank (est.) Track results in the spring!!!
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 09:03 PM
4th Gear Poster

Why do you think seat belts are bad? In my state it is a more expensive ticket than a speeding ticket so obviously I wear mine all the time... but I don't see a problem with it.

Don't you believe the statistics that show that most people killed in accidents aren't wearing seat belts?
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 09:10 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ThunderBeast86
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineBird
Crystal, school busses do have seatbelts now

I dont know what school buses you go on!
lol I'm still in school! They DEF. DON'T have seatbelts....in Michigan at least.

2.25" True Dual Catless DI/DO Magnaflow Exhaust, Eibach Springs, Addco 1 3/8", J-mod, Viper 791 Alarm, Clarion 855 full color touch-screen, Directed 2400 amp , 2 12" CV Strokers with a custom ported box, K&N air filter, 180* T-Stat, Xcal2 SCT TUNED BY LONNIE 17 x 7.5 (245/45/17) Chrome Cobra R's, 17x9 in back(275/40/17)
DOHC sitting in the garage
Teksid 2v plans?!?!
Tranny Cooler, Dual Remote Oil Filter waiting for install
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 09:15 PM
PostWhore

Ive never seen a school bus with seatbelts.

I think it should be up to the person if they choose to wear them or not. Here if a passenger isnt wearing one I believe the driver will get the ticket, which is BS just cause theyre in my car doesnt make me a baby sitter, does it? I never put it on if Im outside the city and not on major roads.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 09:34 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
I noticed that most of the people who are against seat belts are under 30. I really hope you make it there and to 40. I've had a few serious accidents in my time, including rollovers, and impact with immovable objects. I am alive today because of seat belts. There is NO excuse you can give me, NO example of when it would be better not to have them on. I've heard many different excuses and talked to many different professionals. I have yet to meet a professional driver who didn't wear a seat belt. And they don't do it because its a state law, they do it because it is a law of common sense. I don't mean to offend or slam anyone but it really is just that; common sense. As for the seat belts in Buses, there have been studies to decide whether it is best to have them or not have them. I'll have to do some research to see what they have come up with on that subject. Most agree that belts in busses would be an excercise in futility. Try getting everyone who gets on and off a bus to put on a seatbelt!

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 09:41 PM
$.25 poster

Send a message via AIM to AlpineBird
i dunno what school busses you guys are riding, i dont ride the bus anymore, but when i did last year they definetly had seat belts. I remember the driver actually trying to make us wear them once.

But maybe thats becuase safety bus bought alot of new International yellow busses in 2001, so maybe you guys dont have newer ones.

'96 Alpine Bird 281ci
- Clear Corners
- DynoMax Cat-Back
- Purchased with 36,000 miles, now at 101k
- No mods planned untill it's DD life is over

1998 5.9 Limited Grand Cherokee
- Flowmaster Exhaust
- AEM Brute Force Intake
- Mopar Performance ECU

- 275hp-395ft/lbs at the crank (est.) Track results in the spring!!!
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 09:44 PM
PostWhore

The main reasons that they are not on buses is 1) if there is an emergency and people are injured it would be very difficult to get them out of the belts and off the bus quickly, especially with small children who are panicked. 2) Unless the bus goes off a bridge or hits a train, nobody is gonna be hurt in a collision . The size and mass alone are enough to protect the passengers in a collision with most vehicles on the road.

I have personally heard of one example when not wearing a belt saved a persons life. One the vehicle rolled and hit a tree which crushed the drivers side, the driver was ejected and lived.

But yes in the vast majority of cases the belts have protected people, but it should stil be up to the individual whether they choose to wear it or not.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 10:27 PM
Who is John Galt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue LS
but it should stil be up to the individual whether they choose to wear it or not.

My friend rolled her eclipse, she ended up in the passenger seat because she wasn't wearing a seat belt. If she had been wearing her belt, she'd be dead. it's a tough call either way.

Personally, I always wear mine, just out of a force of habit (and the thought of a ticket). Everyone that gets in my car wears theirs.

As for school busses, the only ones i've seen with seat belts are some of the short busses around here.

"Won't work, can't be done"
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 11:02 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to whitecoug
I've got a 57 F-100 w/o belts But anyways, I've had one seatbelt ticket before...not cool, but now I wear it ALL the time. Onto a serious note...it's a little more than the ticket. One of my friends from high shcool was killed in a car accident when we were freshman in college. She and two other friends were traveling to my city, when a drunk diver t-boned them. The driver (friend, not drunk guy) was killed and the other two passengers were injured. One was in a coma for 3 weeks and the other broke the big bone (above the knee...don't remember the name) in her left leg. All three were wearing belts. The two that made it out ok (and I use that term loosely, btw) were wearing their belts. This was all the night before my birthday...great way to spend it huh?
-Just a thought

Joe

1994 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L Special Edition

PnP'd NPIs, PI Cams, PI intake, 80mm GT MAF, 24# Injectors, Shorty Headers, SCT Tuned, Jmod, Trans Cooler, 3.73's, Underdrives, Zex Dry kit 75 shot, Dirtydog TC, Trans built by Darrin, 97 Cupholders

219 RWHP/256 RWTQ NA
280 RWHP/343 RWTQ Bottle Fed (75 shot)
[email protected] mph 5/20/06

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 11:07 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric46v8
Why do you think seat belts are bad? In my state it is a more expensive ticket than a speeding ticket so obviously I wear mine all the time... but I don't see a problem with it.

Don't you believe the statistics that show that most people killed in s aren't wearing seat belts?
Just wear your seat belt... it will save your life.

90' Cougar Sport Edition 3.8 (RIP)
92' Cougar 25th Anniversary Edition 5.0
96' Contour Sport (RIP)
01' Jaguar XJR
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 12:33 AM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

School busses don't have seat belts because they use padded containtment areas. seat belts on a school bus would increase injuries.

I always wear my seat belt, but I don't think it should be a law for anyone over 18.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 12:42 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94t-birdlx Send a message via MSN to 94t-birdlx
I wasn't a big fan of seatbelts but If it wasn't for one I wouldn't be here after this happened Oops!
And the airbags never touched me!

Being a volunteer firefighter has showed me plenty of reasons for seatbelts/airbags!

"Technical skill is mastery of complexity while creativity is mastery of simplicity."
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 12:49 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94t-birdlx
I wasn't a big fan of seatbelts but If it wasn't for one I wouldn't be here after this happened Oops!
And the airbags never touched me!

Being a volunteer firefighter has showed me plenty of reasons for seatbelts/airbags!
I have one of those to! Except mine was a Z28 and a tree sideswiped me! (oh all right it didn't move and I hit it!)

Seat belt saved me by keeping me from slopping all over the car. Yes I did get glass and bark in my face but no broken bones, no serious injury whatsoever.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
<<< SOLD >>>
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 11:27 AM
The Parts Guy

I'm a believer in seat belts as well. About 6 years ago, I encountered a windsheild head first because I wasn't wearing a seat belt in my friends truck. Had I been wearing a seat belt, I wouldn't have even been hurt.

I've been in quite a few accidents (all have happened when I was a passenger), including a couple rollovers, and I can definitely say that seatbelts have at least saved me from additional injury, maybe even saved my life.

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 11:41 AM
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBird
School busses don't have seat belts because they use padded containtment areas. seat belts on a school bus would increase injuries.

I always wear my seat belt, but I don't think it should be a law for anyone over 18.

-Orlando

friends don't let friends drive Chevy
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 11:44 AM
Anything But Typical

Send a message via AIM to BambiRambino47
I personally wear my seat belt every single time I get into a car. If I'm driving, the car doesn't move until everyone's buckled up. I don't need to get in a wreck, and have someone behind me slam into me and put me in the hospital or kill me because they weren't buckled in, I'd have a real problem with that. I haven't been in many wrecks, the only one that really comes to mind is when I rear-ended that Altima on the Tappan Zee. Going less then 5 mph, but it was enough of a jolt to me that the next day my neck was a little sore, probably because I tensed up when I saw I was going to hit. However, my son was in a five point harness car seat. He didn't move, and actually laughed after we hit. Had he not been in that seat, he wouldn't have been laughing...

The only bus I've ever seen that had seat belts around here was one of the very small, four seats on each side busses. The bigger ones around here don't have 'em, and God forbid if one of those things ever roll, they way they pack kids in, especially in high school, every single one of those kids would be, at least, injured or, at worst, dead.

And, I'm with Crystal. Air bags are way dangerous. Yes, we're not supposed to put certain aged children in the front, but what about people like her? I have no doubt that if Crystal were to get in a wreck, and the air bag went off, it would knock her head off, and I'm sure I wouldn't do much better. I have to sit way close to the steering wheel to see what I'm doing, and I've always had to drive like that. So why can't we turn those things off for our own safety? Kinda screwy.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that there's a lot of stuff screwed up in terms of safety devices and transit, as the beginning post states.

So, in short, I always wear my belt. That's just what I do. It's what I've always done. I believe they save lives.

--Molly
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 12:01 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
For those that are saying it should be up to the driver... that’s cool, and your insurance should also be twice what I pay...

I used to be of the opinion that seat belts were useless. Then one day a friend of mine made me do some "testing" in my old 65 Fastback. It originally didn’t have seat belts and I said I wasn’t going to install them. Well, we took the Mustang to a big parking lot and set up some cones. I drove through them as fast as I could. Then we installed some seat belts right there in the parking lot. And I went through the cones much, much faster! Instead of slipping and sliding in the seat, I was able to control the car a lot better.

So, IMHO, not wearing seatbelts is just silly. They DO SAVE LIVES, and they let you control your car better.

And yeah, the air bags…. At my height, I’m screwed!!!

That is why the new cars with the adjustable pedals and steering wheels are so nice. Because you can adjust everything to where you get everything to work the way its designed.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 02:27 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
.....And I went through the cones much, much faster! Instead of slipping and sliding in the seat, I was able to control the car a lot better. ....

Exactly!! They not only save lives in the event of an accident they help to PREVENT accidents!

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
<<< SOLD >>>
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 02:48 PM
Veteran Poster

it used to be in jersey that it was law that you have to wear seatbelts, but you could not be pulled over for not wearing them. (you could get a ticket, but the cop would have to pull you over for a different reason), but they fixed that 'bout 3 years ago. and like 94 Daily Driven 4.6L said, they keep you in the seat so you actually drive--that way your less likely to be in accident.

All MN12/FN10 PA/NJ/MD/DE/NY people please check out: TSTaCC, feel free to register & say hi

'Krissy' 1997 Thunderbird LX Sport 281ci
Custom doesn't come in a Box
Slide or Die
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 03:53 PM
Only you can prevent modular fires

Send a message via AIM to Nicktcfcsb Send a message via Yahoo to Nicktcfcsb
Remember I got a ticket at mn12 natts for not having mine on in a Mcdonalds parking lot BS on that

So what if you car has a harness atached to a cage? any laws aginst having modified air bags and seat belts, since my car has no bags a full cage and harness's anything wrong with that?

Dry rot is the sh*t.

"Thunder-cougar-falcon-cobra-stang-mark8-SC-bird" IS SOLD!

Dodge VIPER GTS blown and winged.

1987 Saleen #79 Turbocharged # 40 On the Top 100 Rarest Mustangs!
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 03:59 PM
PostWhore

How the hell can you get a ticket for not having a belt on in a parking lot? Isnt that a private area, not part of the road system?
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 04:03 PM
Only you can prevent modular fires

Send a message via AIM to Nicktcfcsb Send a message via Yahoo to Nicktcfcsb
Tell IL cops that

Dry rot is the sh*t.

"Thunder-cougar-falcon-cobra-stang-mark8-SC-bird" IS SOLD!

Dodge VIPER GTS blown and winged.

1987 Saleen #79 Turbocharged # 40 On the Top 100 Rarest Mustangs!
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 04:07 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to thumphed Send a message via MSN to thumphed Send a message via Yahoo to thumphed
i have mixed feelings about seatbelts, they could've hurt me, they have saved my butt, and not wearing one scarred my girlfriend for life ... she hit the windshield when my ex-best-friend hit a 30 ft tall palm tree doin 60 .... he was drunk and runnin from another accident .... he rearended a z28 in his 4 cyl jetta, and got away, didnt know it, and hit a tree .... no damage to the z28 either ... i had mine on in that one, and suffered a shattered left thumb, a broken rib, and a gashed knee ... in a previous accident, my brother was f'd up on 19 fierocets(sp?) and rolled a 90 lumina into a ditch, i was kicked back, with my leg on the pass side side-mirror ... if i wouda had it on, i wouldnt be drivin a stick ....

1988 5.0 Bird
(daily driver)
1991 Super Coupe
(Sold to Pollandfenix)
My CarDomain Page

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in