Second job ideas?? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Second job ideas??

Ok, it seems that with the normal "living" expenses, coupled with the mounting medical bills for my wife, the bird getting wrecked, my Nissan needing a few new parts to get running (gotta love parts' store accounts) that I need to find myself a 2nd job, or risk loosing a lot of things. Here's the requirements:

Must be after 7pm if it's Mon-Fri.

No longer than 5 hours (leave by Midnight, maybe 1 at the very latest)

No fast food or gas station attendant

Above minimum wage would be nice

Possiblility of wage increase for working night shift

Part-time would be great. I need to sleep and spend time w/ the wife, ya know?

Taking all/some of that into consideration, what kind of places/occupations could work? I'm just brainstorming to try and get me moving. It's been a long month, and my mind is just about on the edge. My body isn't far behind. I'm not looking for a handout, I'm not afraid to work for what I need. Any thoughts would be great. Either that, or I talk to the credit union and see what kind of loans would be available to me, but I REALLY don't want to create another payment. Why create one, just to add to the others? Easy way to get into a huge hole. Now, let the wealth of knowledge flow!

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 01:21 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

ive been considering a 2nd job myself, im actually going to look into a bouncer gig at one of the local bars.

CMP Drag Racing
best ET: 12.410 -- best MPH: 107.61
NMRA MM7270 -- NMCA EFI/? ????
Thank you to the CMP Drag Racing team: Tony, Doug, Maryann, Dale, Paul and Chris.

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

That would work, if I could gain another 33lbs, lol. At 6' 2", and 167lbs, I don't exactly look like the bouncer type. Maybe a warehouse around here needs a night guy.

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 08:14 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Crystal Send a message via MSN to Crystal Send a message via Yahoo to Crystal
Bartending? Class usually isn't much and if you get in somewhere decent you can make great $ in tips.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 03:51 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

You don't need to goto classes for bartending unless your going to work at the brown derby...

You could deliever pizzas. around here it's $15/hr plus tips!

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 04:07 PM
Veteran Poster

UPS-they have night shifts, good money
parking vallet?
any pharmacutecal plants near you? they usaully run 24hrs

have you considered looking for a newer, higher paying job? or perhaps asking for a raise?

i'm working 2 jobs right now. the first is for school (co-op) which is full time. the second is at the mall, anywheres from 10 to 25 hours a week. word of advice, it's gonna be hard to find something you like, but try to find something fun, because the hours will wear you out otherwise. good luck to ya.

All MN12/FN10 PA/NJ/MD/DE/NY people please check out: TSTaCC, feel free to register & say hi

'Krissy' 1997 Thunderbird LX Sport 281ci
Custom doesn't come in a Box
Slide or Die
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 04:09 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMan77
That would work, if I could gain another 33lbs, lol. At 6' 2", and 167lbs, I don't exactly look like the bouncer type. Maybe a warehouse around here needs a night guy.

Jay
you don't need to be big to be a good bouncer. Just calm, firm, and observant enough to stop trouble before it gets physical. Its kinna like working in a mental institution. Drunks have similar thought patterns!

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 05:47 PM
TCCoAAC Member
%n haters club

Send a message via AIM to Deus003 Send a message via Yahoo to Deus003
Gigilo

--Craig

I like my coffee black, like I like my metal.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 05:52 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 92blackbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus003
Gigilo

--Craig

You beat me to it. The world could always use a good man-whore.

Birdless now
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 06:00 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak Kid
Advance Auto Parts baby!!! 20% all car parts too
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

True that on the bouncer idea. I may be light, but I can hold my own.

Hmmm, man-whore.... Nah, I'd hate to take all you guys' girls, the homies gotta get some too ya know.

So far, the UPS idea (even though I know my back would absolutely hate it) seems like it could work. Depends on how flexible they are on time. I really don't want to work all night, and then head off to my day job straight from there. I'll look on their website and see what's open.

The Autozone idea isn't bad either. There just happens to be a 24 hour one near me in OFallon. Couldn't hurt.

Bartending wouldn't work most likely. I can't remember my own cell phone # half the time, let alone all the mixed drinks. Everyone gets BEER! Nothing else!!

I have considered leaving my job in search of greener pastures, and in my area of work, it's slim pickins. Telecommunications is a fickle area of technology. One day, everything is booming, and the next, in the tank. I have been w/ Avaya (formerly Lucent, formerly AT&T) for over 5 years now working at a Business Partner. I started in the warehouse as a grunt, and now they have brought me up as tech support, and pay for all of my training. The classes for my certifications are expensive. Some are around $1,000 each. They've invested over $10,000 in me in '04 alone, and I'm still taking the IP Office, S8700 Media Server, and Modular Messaging classes. If I can hold out, I'm gonna sqeeze the boss and see what kind of $$ falls my way. They know I'm worth it, but techs are expensive. My boss just told me today before I left, that once I get my Nortel Norstar cert. at the end of this month, that he's gonna run a raise for me past the boss and see what he can do. Must of overheard me talking at work about the $ issues and actually cares. What a change. I know some day I'll hit it big if I just keep working for it, but can't live on crackers all my life, ya know?

To top it all off, we just got the wife's diagnosis back, and it seems that she will be going on fertility treatment (the baby thing is part of the reason why I need the extra $). Don't know what that costs a month, but I can't imagine it being cheap. But, if we don't have kids by the time she hits 30~ish, then the chances drop 55-60% that we will never, and we're about to both hit 28. F that. Problem w/ the treatment is that it increases the likelyhood of twins. It also runs in her family, so she could have them regardless. Gonna try and make as much as I can right now, just in case 2 mouths show up eventually, instead of 1. I can suffer, but I will NOT let my child suffer. Keep the ideas coming, so far, the're all great. I knew I could count on you guys (and gals).

Thanks

Jay

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 10:54 PM
Resident 40th Anniversary Expert

Send a message via AIM to Shawn40th
Any colleges around? They usually have security guards driving around the campus at all times. All they do is drive around, issue fake tickets, talk to people, and sometimes respond to something that usually isn't a big deal. It's the only thing I could think of with those hours. If you were to start at 5 or 6 it might be easier because then you could do that 4-5 hour shift. But with many businesses closing by 10pm (this depends where you live) it would be hard to get a 3 hour shift.

You could also try some local coffee houses if you are into that type of thing. They usually stay open to 11-12 and your hours would be there best times, but without the rowdyness that some bars deal with.

Good luck,
-Shawn

"People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people."

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII, LSC - Green/Tan Leather, Sunroof, etc. FOR SALE. Inquire within.

Current car: 1999 Corvette

The 40th Anniversary Tbird is gone. Her old website & CarDomain page

Senior Member of the 'B-Team'.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 11:48 PM
Jedi Master

work at the mall....my second job is at Mervyn's while my first job is at Time Warner Cable.

-Orlando

friends don't let friends drive Chevy
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 12:15 AM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMan77
Bartending wouldn't work most likely. I can't remember my own cell phone # half the time, let alone all the mixed drinks. Everyone gets BEER! Nothing else!!
Dude, not very many people get a mixed drink. And when they do, it's usually one of about 10. All you'd need is a cheat-sheet. Most people do just get beer or straight shots anyway. Like I said, bartending is easy unless your at a high-dollar place.

Keep in mind that being the bartender in a small place is alot like being a bouncer. You watch over the waitresses, know whom to greet and when to toss em.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 01:08 AM
6th Gear Poster

I don't know your background so take this as it was intended.

How about a night stocker at a 24 hour grocery store like K-Mart, Wal*Mart, Safeway, Winn Dixie etc?

Night auditor at a hotel?

Car shuttler for rental car companies on weekends? If you are close to an airport that is.

As someone else said, deliver pizza/Chinese food/any food?

Warehouse work such as inventory, sweeping the floors etc?

Warped (not twisted!)

"Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent." - Richard Rahl

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -Benjamin Franklin
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 10:43 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to mastarecoil
If you live near a university, sign up to be a genuia pig. Thats what Im doing. $100 for chewing gum, $175 for eating food and doing hand exercises, $300 for eating peanuts.

Im not dead yet....so cant be that bad.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 11:11 AM
$.25 poster

Send a message via AIM to AlpineBird
being a delivery guy myself, let me say that the money is great. And its a fun job too, its like your going on a big scavenger hunt all night.

'96 Alpine Bird 281ci
- Clear Corners
- DynoMax Cat-Back
- Purchased with 36,000 miles, now at 101k
- No mods planned untill it's DD life is over

1998 5.9 Limited Grand Cherokee
- Flowmaster Exhaust
- AEM Brute Force Intake
- Mopar Performance ECU

- 275hp-395ft/lbs at the crank (est.) Track results in the spring!!!
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 01:04 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastarecoil
If you live near a university, sign up to be a genuia pig. Thats what Im doing. $100 for chewing gum, $175 for eating food and doing hand exercises, $300 for eating peanuts.

Im not dead yet....so cant be that bad.
300 bucks for eating peanuts???
There's gotta be something fishy about that...

But PLEASE (!) DO NOT explain that part of doing hand exercises!

//per

www.mn12racing.com

True duals are on!!!
Check video (9.5 megs)
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 01:14 PM
PostWhore

Eating peanuts, while locked in a room for 6 hours (reading or whatever you want). They study you and take randomly timed blood samples.

By hand excerises I mean motor skill tests. Assembling a puzzle or things like that. You have a dirty mind
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 02:51 AM
5th Gear Poster

I read through the whole post and did not see this. I have a friend that cleans banks after hours. They gave him a key, and he shows up any time after hours, and cleans the banks for damn good money. My dad had a friend that delivered newspapers on his way to his day job!! Take out an ad in the local paper telling prospective clients that you are willing to work from X'oclock to midnight, and to contact you with what job they are offering you. Then after you find something that interests you, cancel the ad and go to your new second job. Geez, I kind of like that idea!! I will keep brainstorming.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 02:57 AM
5th Gear Poster

Older folks that can't get around anymore always are in need of someone to take them to appointments. This would be more of a daytime job. Don't know of many that make appointments in the evening, let alone doctors offices that are open past 5. Maybe you could go get their medication for them, and deliver it to them for a fee.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 03:28 AM
6th Gear Poster

this doesn't fit one of the requirements, but what about working before your first job. delivering newspapers before work (approximately 4am- 6am) could toss a grand your way every month. just an idea.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Wow. you guys come up w/ some great ideas. I'm gonna have to write them all down, and then see what is avail. in my area for those ideas. Keep 'em coming!

Jay

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 08:58 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

I know it's already been brought up (at least me situation) but I always pick my part-time jobs by the discount I would receive. It has to be something I already buy, and something that will do me some good, as well as being something almost hobby-like.

That said, for me, my part-time job is in the Auto Parts industry. First Pep Boys, which was better, because they had a shop where I could get some things done (hey, I knew who was working on my vehicle, and with two jobs - 10 shifts a week, I didn't have a lot of time of my own). and then with a $2/hour better offer, went to Autozone.

Both gave me a 20% discount on parts, and I was doing something I enjoy.

my priorities:

1.) hours
2.) pay
3.) discount
4.) interesting/fun

:
The statements in this post are my opinions only.
If you have a problem with them, please PM me
and keep the boards clear of flame wars.

:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 09:03 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by the89bird
Older folks that can't get around anymore always are in need of someone to take them to appointments. This would be more of a daytime job. Don't know of many that make appointments in the evening, let alone doctors offices that are open past 5. Maybe you could go get their medication for them, and deliver it to them for a fee.

There are a lot of after hours help you could give the elderly. My grandmother cant drive any more, but there is a $4 shuttle to the hospital if she arranges a ride first. This, however, still dosent get her to the grocery store, pharmacy, bank, or church. If she had someone to drive her, or do grocery shopping for her, I am sure she would pay for it.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 09:14 AM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
sell all the crap that you bought and really don't need on ebay, that will hold you over for quite a while. Thats how I got started on ebay, cleaning out my office and my room of old junk.

Justin
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Yeah, Egay has helped in the past. I have a lot of old school bmx stuff that I guess I could part with. Anyone need some 89 Vic parts??

Jay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in