Ideas for a new vehicle - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Ideas for a new vehicle

Alright.. my mother is telling me when i get caught up on my bills to get rid of my failing bird and i think i agree with her. I do love my bird and looked forward to moding it, but i also realize that it will take alot of cash to first, do all the repairs it needs, and second, to mod it the way i would like. Much as i hate taking the lazy way out, i think i should just look for a new ride. Im proyl going to have to goto JD biryter or someplace like that as my credit is proly complete crap by now. Tho this will proly mean i dont have a huge selection to pick from. Any ideas or recommends on what i should aim for? I would like a small/mid suv. My mother has an Escape but that seems to...i dono.. Light to me cheap i guess would be more better a term. It just seems like an Escape is a chopped up cheaper version of an Explorer.. Am i right about that?

Anyway id like something that size (explorer size) Ive been tossing around 2 door vs 4 door, and even what Car to get if no suv's are too my liking. I know i reeally dont want a front wheel drive car, and i Refuse to get a 4 banger.. what ever i get will at least have a v6 in it. (im too spoiled to settle for a 4 banger). Also, im going to shoot for something at MOST 3 years old or under 40k miles.

Anyway.. Ideas?

Work needed to be done: Heater Core Replaced; Driver Door panel replaced; Right Inner tie rod replaced; Front suspension rotting away; Wire connection to the transmission melted from contact with exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

I guess i should have guessed that all of you would just say find another bird/cat/mark. so nm

Work needed to be done: Heater Core Replaced; Driver Door panel replaced; Right Inner tie rod replaced; Front suspension rotting away; Wire connection to the transmission melted from contact with exhaust.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 01:11 AM
Veteran Poster

2 door SUVs are nice. Just dont get a Honda. Too many of those on the road
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 08:45 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

I'm driving a 2000 Honda CRV this winter (winter beater) and I have to admit it's pretty practical for a grocery getter/daily driver. It's complete gutless but it's a decent highway cruiser and has plenty of interior space.

Looking for another MN12 for a new project!
1997 Thunderbird Sport SOLD! :-(
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

I need to see one from the inside, and proly test drive it.. but i still think the 2001 + Explorers (sport) look cool from the outside.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 10:24 PM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to Teal94BirdV8 Send a message via Yahoo to Teal94BirdV8
The escape isnt anything like an explorer. The Escape has a 3.0L 24V Duratec V6 in FWD or AWD, with independant rear suspension.. I drive an 03 Mazda Tribute for the winter (aka when the snow is too deep for my Thunderbird).. (Its Exact same as Escape, it even says "Manufactured by Ford Motor Co." on its door tag). Its pretty quick for a soccer mom mobile. Pretty gutsy, pulls hard. The AWD models come with a rotary coupling something or other transfer case also. IMO the Tribute looks better then the Escape.

94 LX V8 & 93 SC gone. Not forgotten.
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC Cobra U/L intake, PP 65mm TB, Powerdyne BD-11 8#, Walbro 255, FRPP 30lb Injectors, MSD ignition, 3.8 Taurus E-fan, A9P MAF conversion, Pypes 1&5/8" Shortys, O/R H-Pipe, 4.10 Trac-Lok, T-5 swap, FRPP flywheel, Ram HDX clutch, Steeda Clutch kit
2002 F150 FX4 Lariat 6" Fabtech, 3" BL, Stock FX4 wheels, 37x12.50 Nitto Trails, Yukon 4.56s, Detroit TrueTrac, Edge Evo, 8K HIDs, PowerStop truck&tow kit
1996 GMC Suburban SLT 6K HIDs, crystal clear light set, daily beater @ 222k miles

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 11:59 PM
$.25 poster

Send a message via AIM to AlpineBird
i know this might be to old for you, but id get a bronco......i know myself and a few other people here have one and they are tanks.

'96 Alpine Bird 281ci
- Clear Corners
- DynoMax Cat-Back
- Purchased with 36,000 miles, now at 101k
- No mods planned untill it's DD life is over

1998 5.9 Limited Grand Cherokee
- Flowmaster Exhaust
- AEM Brute Force Intake
- Mopar Performance ECU

- 275hp-395ft/lbs at the crank (est.) Track results in the spring!!!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 12:22 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

DONT GET A EXPLORER WITH A 4.0 SOHC !! you think your bird needs help, buy one of those pos, if you want a explorer, get a 4dr with a 5.0 or 4.6

64 ford galaxie -FE powered beast!- sleeping giant
69 cougar standard- 347/c6 -efi restomod, heidts prog 4 link heavily modified front, custom strutrods boxed lowers rollerperches 620 lowering springs! meier shock tower brace
96 f150 supercab lifted beast! 351 powered beast
87 shasta roadmaster 29ft travel trailer- pimpdaddy camping!
mn12 less!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 12:35 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineBird
i know this might be to old for you, but id get a bronco......i know myself and a few other people here have one and they are tanks.
That's right! My dad had a Bronco that was way older than me and that thing is probably still running somewhere. It was a heck of a truck. I'd get one if I could afford 2 vehicles.

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII
1998 Contour SVT (for sale)
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Well, the escape isnt that bad looking on the outside, i just dont like the interior design of it, i dont like the headlights on a stick, nor do i like the cruse control on the stick, which is why i dont care much for GM cars, tho i have seen a rare few with the cruse on the wheel.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 07:07 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 1997T-Bird Send a message via Yahoo to 1997T-Bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk89cat
DONT GET A EXPLORER WITH A 4.0 SOHC !! you think your bird needs help, buy one of those pos, if you want a explorer, get a 4dr with a 5.0 or 4.6
I agree with that. My ex had a 4.0 SOHC Ranger 4X4 and my god did it have problem after problem with that thing! She had to have an engine overhaul.. and then it STILL had problems!!!!

Currently: 2004 Honda Civic Ex 5 Speed
17X7 BSA Wheels - 215/45/17 Falkens; Complete JL System; Magnaflow Catback; Lowered 1.4"

Last Car:
Custom Magnaflow Dual Exhaust; 2003 Cobra Rims with Kelley 255/45/17s;Steeda U/Ds; B&M Transmissoin Cooler; Dirtyd0g's custom 2800 Stall Torque Converter; J-Mod Kit installed by Dirtyd0g; SCT Tuned by Darrin; Lowered with Spring Tech Springs

Want great work done on your tranny? Have dirtyd0g do it! He made a believer out of me!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 07:07 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 1997T-Bird Send a message via Yahoo to 1997T-Bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk89cat
I agree with that. My ex had a 4.0 SOHC Ranger 4X4 and my god did it have problem after problem with that thing! She had to have an engine overhaul.. and then it STILL had problems!!!!

Seriously for a good daily get like a Prelude or even a V6 Mustang 5 speed. Good daily and good MPG.

Currently: 2004 Honda Civic Ex 5 Speed
17X7 BSA Wheels - 215/45/17 Falkens; Complete JL System; Magnaflow Catback; Lowered 1.4"

Last Car:
Custom Magnaflow Dual Exhaust; 2003 Cobra Rims with Kelley 255/45/17s;Steeda U/Ds; B&M Transmissoin Cooler; Dirtyd0g's custom 2800 Stall Torque Converter; J-Mod Kit installed by Dirtyd0g; SCT Tuned by Darrin; Lowered with Spring Tech Springs

Want great work done on your tranny? Have dirtyd0g do it! He made a believer out of me!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 07:13 PM
PostWhore

The Bronco is definately a good choice for a truck. (I cant call them SUVs, those arent in the same league as a Bronco)These trucks are tanks, they go through anything and will take a total sh*ticking and keep goin without problems.

Lol, my buddy was a total chevy guy till he took one for a drive and ended up trading a camaro for it.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 10:23 PM
3rd Gear Poster

What's a ballpark of exactly how much you'll have to spend? that would deifnatly help out!

1996 Caprice B4U, Removed trim, painted bumpers, more to come............
1/4 mile; [email protected]/93% humidity/1200 ft. elevation, and a whopping 2.441 60 ft. stock from the paper filter to rusty exhaust tips!: SOLD!!!

Now 1997 Crown Vic PI Bone stock: [email protected] with a 2.34 60 ft
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

No idea now much cash ill have.. im going to have to trade in my bird to a place that will give me credit, because my credit sucks. and i still have like 2 grand left of my car payment. it sucks

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 12:52 AM
3rd Gear Poster

That's a lot to owe on an iolder car. How many miles are on it? chances are you will just get a small portion of that realisticallyand the rest will be tacked onto your new payment/. i looked at trading on a 95 M1rk VIII last week and the turds offered me a whopping 400 trade-in for my car, i told them where they couls stick it basically. Good thing though, my friend was thinking about buy it and he's a tech at a different Ford dealership, he checked it out and figures it has a ton of electrical bugs so.... Anyways, if you have to trade in at a certain place, it won't really matter too mcuh what is said here because unfortunatly, what they have at the time in inventory is what you will have a choice of.

1/4 mile; [email protected]/93% humidity/1200 ft. elevation, and a whopping 2.441 60 ft. stock from the paper filter to rusty exhaust tips!: SOLD!!!

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Well, i have 115000 miles on it, and i know i wont get much out of it, and whatever is left would be added on my new payment. I am limited to a few places to go, but since my car is still drivable, i have time to wait and be alittle picky as to what i get, unlike the last time when i was prettty much rushed into getting my bird because i NEEDED the car asap.

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 02:36 PM
3rd Gear Poster

I understand that. That is kinda why I have my Vic, had some cash, but wasa rushed to get something, she hasn't been a bad car for what i have in her though. Anyways, you may want to try and save up aboput 2 gs for a downpayment and you might be able to get an autoloan through the bank. 2gs for a downpayment means a lot, trust me, that is usually what it takes these days for me to get an autoloan, thoug I was able to get an unsecured personal loan for the vic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in