Alright I need some legal/mechanical advise - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
CEO Red Sox Nation

Alright I need some legal/mechanical advise

Well yesterday at 3pm, I got a call from "Public Storage" where ALL of my belongings are stored until I get an apartment in March. A sprinkler pipe burst on FRIDAY, yes FRIDAY. These ****s waited 3 days to call me, as all my stuff sat in about a half inch of muddy water.

Here's where I need help.

I have insurance, but the max pay out is 5,000 dollars, which will cover most of the appliances/sofa/queen beed, dressers, and so on. But my all my home videos pictures and **** are ruined.

I also had some pefect NPI Heads in the storage facility also.....If water gets in them are they ruined, I assume theyd rust right?

if so....Looks like I may get some new heads...

I want to sue the storage company for the remainder of the loss, although I don't know how much that will be yet, as I haven't pulled everything out of the place yet.
Would a rental insurance lawyer be the one to contact?

Also, my main problem with this whole situation is that it happened on Friday, the alarms didn't go off, and it was unknown to the facility until Saturday morning, some 280+ units affected, the guy says. I asked why the hell I wasn't called until Monday, if they knew on Saturday, he said, "It's a slow process of contacting people, and I am still not done calling the owners." THATS BULL**** in my book, Any prperly run company, would have had some guy working OT, to call all 280 people that first morning. Not spanning it out over 3 ****in days.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

Oh yeah, also, when I asked to have a new rental unit, so I could get my stuff outta the sludge, I was told, we dont have any available. The company who was supposed to come clean the empty bins, did not, so we have none available for you to move to.

SO now my lifes worth of junk is sitting there, getting all musty and ruined more.

Thanks for reading, hope someone can help me with some insight to my questions

Dave

2003 Infiniti G35 Sport Package with Navigation

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 07:00 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcBrideBoston
I also had some pefect NPI Heads in the storage facility also.....If water gets in them are they ruined, I assume theyd rust right?
Aluminum? Rust? The “heads” shouldn’t be “ruined”, but the cams should definitely be “looked at” to make sure they are ok. Usually there is enough oil on cams and such that they will be ok as long as they don’t sit in water for a long time. So I wouldn’t sweat the heads except give them a good inspection.

Quote:
I want to sue the storage company for the remainder of the loss, although I don't know how much that will be yet, as I haven't pulled everything out of the place yet.
Would a rental insurance lawyer be the one to contact?
I don’t know about this, but the obvious question that will be asked is, “Why didn’t you have enough insurance to cover your belongings?” I think what I would do is get in touch with your insurance company and talk to them. But I’m afraid that even though you can sue and probably win, getting “money out of a turnip” is pretty difficult.

Quote:
Also, my main problem with this whole situation is that it happened on Friday, the alarms didn't go off, and it was unknown to the facility until Saturday morning, some 280+ units affected, the guy says. I asked why the hell I wasn't called until Monday, if they knew on Saturday, he said, "It's a slow process of contacting people, and I am still not done calling the owners." THATS BULL**** in my book, Any properly run company, would have had some guy working OT, to call all 280 people that first morning. Not spanning it out over 3 ****in days.
I feel your pain, but with any small business, manpower is non-existent. So the guy(s) had to make a choice to call everyone and tell them their stuff was wet, or try to get the problem reported and repaired, etc. Yes, that sucks, but its in the past now and there’s nothing that can be done about it.

I’ve been through some “damp” disasters in my house and if you’ll let the stuff dry COMPLETELY I think you’ll be surprised at how much stuff is salvageable. My house was totaled in a tornado in ’91 and I have a complete set of Britannica Encyclopedias and Year Books (from 1965 to date) that were drenched when the roof “exited”. I was able to let them dry and then “press” them between weights. It took forever to get them all done, but they turned out ok.

If the stuff is just sitting in water, that is a whole lot better than if it was pouring down on top of it. Everything out of the water should just require a good cleaning/de-molding.

That sucks and I know how you feel!!

Good luck and I hope it works out ok.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
CEO Red Sox Nation

[QUOTE=94 Daily Driven 4.6L]

I dont know if aluminum can rust...oh well....Thanks though

I don’t know about this, but the obvious question that will be asked is, “Why didn’t you have enough insurance to cover your belongings?”

5,000 dollars was the maximum allowed though the storage company, I probably should have purchased additional renters insurance through a different company.

As far as small buisness, this company has storage facilities all throughout Massachusetts, proabbly well over 3 or 4 hundred of them.

Thanks for the insight on cleaning things up, this is just a pain in the *** that shouldnt have happened.

By the way, I forgot to mention that this happened back in February of 04 also, the sprinkler pipe blew out over my unit and caused 2K worth of problems. THats another reason, I am pissed. Once is forgiveable, but twice is WTF...

Dave

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 07:17 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
OUCH!!! Twice in less than one year!!! That does suck! Good luck.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 07:31 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I bet a court would call 3 days a timely manner espically if they started calling on Saturday.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
CEO Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowez
I bet a court would call 3 days a timely manner espically if they started calling on Saturday.
Can you place 280 phone calls in a 8 hour shift.....I figured ya could, as should they have.

Dave

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 09:03 AM
Geek w/Gearhead Complex

::shakes head::
If they won't cover the extra losses, it's rather simple to show negligence in this instance (didn't call in 3 days, items could've been saved | alarm didn't go off, causing further damage). You might want to make it easy on yourself and tell your insurance rep about it and see what he/she thinks (this would save you the trouble of getting a lawyer, no out of pocket expense). If they don't want to deal with it, it is possible to take them to small claims (which has a given $ max, usually 3-5 grand) and not need an attorney.

Oh, and its a 24hour facility, Timely manner is a day.

96 Mark VIII [email protected] :: 03 radiator/fan - j-modded trans - BBK UD pulley kit - dual gauge pod - 28,000 B&M transcooler (w/ AN fits) - 3.73 locker (with speedo gear) - 180' thermo - 8.5mm wires - colder plugs
soon to install : "fixed" heads and a damn tune. Project snaked8 continues...
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 09:12 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94t-birdlx Send a message via MSN to 94t-birdlx
I've worked in a call center so I would say that an 8 hour day would yield about 100 calls of no more than 5 min.
Good luck with your things.

"Technical skill is mastery of complexity while creativity is mastery of simplicity."
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 09:21 AM
PostWhore

[QUOTE=DMcBrideBoston]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
As far as small buisness, this company has storage facilities all throughout Massachusetts, proabbly well over 3 or 4 hundred of them.
I've seen one here in Missouri, west of St Louis, so they're no small time operation. They could've split the list up among other Public Storage places and have everyone called quickly.

It was a fire sprikler pipe? And no Alarm? Sounds like they got more problems... When a fire sprinkler system starts flowing water, it's supposed to set off a fire alarm.

'95 Cougar - 2002 Explorer engine, 2004 Mustang PTP2 PCM

Best times:
PI 4.6L 95 XR7 Cougar: [email protected]
2004.5 Silverado Crew Cab/Long Bed/4x4 6.6L Duramax: [email protected] (Weighing in at over 7200#) on 10/19/2007
Dyno - 446.4RWHP/820.2RWTq on 6/13/2008
Pulling - 300.9' 3rd place finish 8/2011
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 09:50 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94t-birdlx Send a message via MSN to 94t-birdlx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar281
It was a fire sprikler pipe? And no Alarm? Sounds like they got more problems... When a fire sprinkler system starts flowing water, it's supposed to set off a fire alarm.
Not nessecarily, it depends on the system. And the codes are probably more lax due to it being a storage facility and not a "populated" building.

"Technical skill is mastery of complexity while creativity is mastery of simplicity."
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 11:11 AM
PostWhore

Cool

I was in commercial, residential, and industrial cleaning for over 12 years. You have got to remove your belongings and start the process of cleaning and decontamination as soon as possable. Documents, books, and magazines are generally pretty resileant. I've had a few clean up cases were entire filing cabinets full of documents were totally full of water. We removed the entire cabinet to our shop were we restored them. Some were ruined, but most were saveable. Anything wood, press board, will swell due to the moisture. Press board will be lost. The wood usually will do ok, if it is dried and treated immediately. Anything metal, especially stainless and brass, needs to be dried immediately and coated with light oil or WD-40 to stop corrossion. Clothes need to be removed and laundered asap, and any with metal buttons will stain with rust but can be removed if it is not a delicate fabric. Your biggest problem is going to be mold, and mildew. Once mold has set into the wood, fabric and carpet and upholstery, it cannot be removed. You can kill the mold spore, but the black stain usually will remain. Disinfectiants, chlorination products and Ozone treatments do work. If I were you, to minimize the damage now, I would contact a cleaning speacilist to do the job properly. If I'm allowed, I would recommend ServPro cleaning services. They have the know how and equipment to do it right. See if your home owners policy will cover it. It's worth checking. Good Luck.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 01:29 PM
**** nuts

Send a message via AIM to ITHURTZ
Quote:
Can you place 280 phone calls in a 8 hour shift.....I figured ya could, as should they have.

Dave
Calling them and explaining to them would take atleast 5min. and at 280ppl to call thats a total of 23.3hrs OR 2.916days.... or your 3 days

(now thats IF 1 person was calling, which most likely they would do)
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 06:01 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I have worked as a phone operator and average phone times are 2-5 mins with the occiasional 10min+.

Your best bet at getting anything is to see why there was a leak and if was sprinkler they may be violating some Fire Codes.

Most likely though you will not see anything more than your $5000.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 12:31 AM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

Aluminum does rust. Rust is oxidation. Aluminum oxidizes extremely quick, so you've probably never seen true aluminum unless you cut it yourself. Now, aluminum oxide isn't a bad thing. it is actually stronger than aluminum itself.

Strange, eh?

Your heads will be fine, but the springs, retainers, cams, and valves may be damaged. Probably not a big deal since most of it would be replaced anyway when they get ported and re-assembled.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 12:47 AM
**** nuts

alum rusts really? what does it look like, i have a plate of alum right here and it looks the same... ill stick in in the snow for a weekend to if that helps
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 04:10 AM
4th Gear Poster

If there is a problem with those heads pm me as I think I could help you out.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
CEO Red Sox Nation

Well next update****

I went to Public Storage yesterday to ask the manager(last time I spoke to some kid) about a new rental unit in the smae building. He said he would give me a new one, although no break on the rent or any compensation. This guy didn't even apoligize, once.

Well, I took the day off tomorrow, and my father is going to do the same, and he's gonna come down and help me move it all out, and inventory the loss.

I'll post updates.

I'll let ya know on the heads though.

Dave

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 11:44 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITHURTZ
alum rusts really? what does it look like, i have a plate of alum right here and it looks the same... ill stick in in the snow for a weekend to if that helps
what it looks like is what you thought Aluminum looked like. that plate is already oxidized. It takes a matter of seconds for aluminum to oxidize.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 12:01 AM
**** nuts

wow really, thats really interesting. How would I go about seeing it without it? Cut it and look at the cut really fast, or is it too late then? Does any other metal do this? Or is that called rust?
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 04:22 AM
4th Gear Poster

There may be some cases this may happen. Normal oxidation does not happen that fast, lets just say that it may but isn't discernable with the naked eye. I know aircraft alloys don't and I have an 01 exploder motor with plenty of oxidation. That took time, any metal starts the corrosion process the minute it is made. Thats corrosion 101.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBird
what it looks like is what you thought Aluminum looked like. that plate is already oxidized. It takes a matter of seconds for aluminum to oxidize.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 04:34 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITHURTZ
wow really, thats really interesting. How would I go about seeing it without it? Cut it and look at the cut really fast, or is it too late then? Does any other metal do this? Or is that called rust?
If you remember the science you like... the corrossion with Iron (Fe, not differentiating types) would be Iron Oxide or rust. When aluminum oxidizes its called Aluminum Oxide (commonly referred to just as corrossion in aviation). Beside inert/noble elements, all elements should combine with another element with reasonable catalyst. Nothing forced.

But its been several yrs since i had chemistry ... now the science i enjoy is biology.

"You Should See the Front!"

1995 Lazer Red Cougar
[email protected]
Custom Tru Duals, PI 4.6, JModded Tranny w/ TC.
Programmed by SCT Xcal2
Thanks to PalmGuy I have this beautiful masterpiece.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in