Any Canadians on here that have Bell ExpressVu? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Like Titles Matter

Any Canadians on here that have Bell ExpressVu?

I've been, uh "testing" their services lately. You guys have got some funny TV up there. Tonight I watched some PPV show called "So you wanna fight?", I think it is the funniest TV I have ever seen watching those guys get in the ring. Some station in Halifax was going off the air for the night so they played the national anthem. I remember them doing that here when I was a kid but stations never seem to go off the air here anymore. I still can't figure what half of the channels are with names like "channel A", etc though. LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 01:41 AM
Reverse Gear Poster

I don't have ExpressVu, but I know that our TV programming is very different here. Many channels shut down and play the national anthem on sign off and sign on. Our local Kelowna station does that.

My brother had satelite TV, either ExpressVu, grey market or whatever the Shaw-owned version is called and there were many, many redundant and repetitive stations, both Canadian and US. Some obscure, some useful. They seem to put anything they can on.

We also have our own Canadian versions of the usual American cable stations like our Comedy Channel, Much Music, Much More Music, Game Show Network and so on.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 08:14 AM
Johnny Five is Alive
TCCoAAC Member

Send a message via AIM to WkStill Send a message via Yahoo to WkStill
ExpressVu sucks. Nagra2 on its way, no more testing for you., oh, and its illegal too.. Just becuase we can't legally get it, doesn't mean we can illegaly get it.

1984 Merc Cougar
5.0L, GT40X HEADS, E303 CAM,X303 Valvetrain
1998 4R70W Controlled by Baumannator TCS., 3.73 Track Lock Rear., Bauman Lev 3 Shift Kit.
190LPH, 67mm EGR, 65mm TB, 73mm C&L MAF, 24lb/h Inj, TwEECer RT, A3M EEC-IV
TCCoA-AHole Crew 2004
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own. They are not meant to start a flame war or discourage people. Just my honest opinion and nothing more
Just great, 4 mores years of GOP crap, Im republican, and I endorse this message
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 09:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
canadian tv is pretty funny. I get some of it down here. They have the right idea on alot of stuff, they air the sopranos and other HBO shows over the air on public tv uncensored. Also last season they were airing the OC and a couple other Fox shows on a monday night when they don't premiere until Thursday night in the states. I actually watch alot of canadian tv, just due to the fact that its not all chopped up like the FCC requires here.

I haven't played with expressVU, i'll have to check that out. The signal for that probably comes from the satellite above the gulf of mexico, where all the other dbs satellites originate from, so its just a matter of tapping into it.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 10:33 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:
Originally Posted by soop
I don't have ExpressVu, but I know that our TV programming is very different here. Many channels shut down and play the national anthem on sign off and sign on. Our local Kelowna station does that.

My brother had satelite TV, either ExpressVu, grey market or whatever the Shaw-owned version is called and there were many, many redundant and repetitive stations, both Canadian and US. Some obscure, some useful. They seem to put anything they can on.

We also have our own Canadian versions of the usual American cable stations like our Comedy Channel, Much Music, Much More Music, Game Show Network and so on.

wait...you have channels that play music? we used to have that here in los estados unidos back in the '80s...its called mtv, you've probably heard of it

do you get fox news?

joseph

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 10:46 AM
Reverse Gear Poster

Yeah, I remember MTV playing videos. I hear they don't do that anymore. Much Music plays music primarily and supports indy stuff. Our Much More Music is the equivalent of your VH-1.

We don't get Fox News. Never watched it. I am sure that with the CRTC approval it will pop of on some cable entworks and satelite. I usually watch the Canadian news on CTV or CBC, or the BBC, and occasionally CNN for particular stories anyway.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 10:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
we get much music here in the states on directv, and I get it on my digital cable also.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Like Titles Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinH
I haven't played with expressVU, i'll have to check that out. The signal for that probably comes from the satellite above the gulf of mexico, where all the other dbs satellites originate from, so its just a matter of tapping into it.

Justin they are at 91w and 82w, a dish 500 dish can be pointed at both. A cheapie receiver like a pansat or fortec will get the job done, or go to a dreambox if you want something nicer. A little tougher to get them here with decent signal quality, they seem to be narrowing their beam some lately.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 01:15 PM
TGJ
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada

I have ExpressVU. Hahahah, you like "So you wanna fight?", that is a crazy show. I haven't watched that in awhile, what number are they up to now anyway?

A lot of channels that go off the air play the national anthem.

I think this thread is funny because all I hear is how much CDN TV sucks, mind you this is a bunch of Canadians whining about it. Everyone here wants more US TV. I don't watch a lot of TV so I really can't say how I feel. Although I really enjoy watching the SuperBowl on US TV as that is where all the good commericials are shown.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 01:18 PM
Johnny Five is Alive
TCCoAAC Member

Send a message via AIM to WkStill Send a message via Yahoo to WkStill
But the good news is, the Canadian courts maybe allowing subscriptions to US based services soon.

1984 Merc Cougar
5.0L, GT40X HEADS, E303 CAM,X303 Valvetrain
1998 4R70W Controlled by Baumannator TCS., 3.73 Track Lock Rear., Bauman Lev 3 Shift Kit.
190LPH, 67mm EGR, 65mm TB, 73mm C&L MAF, 24lb/h Inj, TwEECer RT, A3M EEC-IV
TCCoA-AHole Crew 2004
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own. They are not meant to start a flame war or discourage people. Just my honest opinion and nothing more
Just great, 4 mores years of GOP crap, Im republican, and I endorse this message
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Like Titles Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGJ
I have ExpressVU. Hahahah, you like "So you wanna fight?", that is a crazy show. I haven't watched that in awhile, what number are they up to now anyway?

A lot of channels that go off the air play the national anthem.

I think this thread is funny because all I hear is how much CDN TV sucks, mind you this is a bunch of Canadians whining about it. Everyone here wants more US TV. I don't watch a lot of TV so I really can't say how I feel. Although I really enjoy watching the SuperBowl on US TV as that is where all the good commericials are shown.

I think the one the other night was #34. The show is just too damn funny.

For me, the Canadian TV is just sort of interesting because it's different. That will probably wear off at some point. It reminds me how bad my French has gotten over the years. Tonight I watched RAI out of Italy a bit but nothing crazy happened. I may swing around to another bird and watch some Asian stuff, that always seems to be good for a laugh.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 01:54 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I don't know if this counts as "canadian TV" because they play it (or used to anyway) on PBS in the states...it was called "The New Red Green Show" and it was from Canada, it was very, very funny...I miss it.

2015 Mustang GT Premium / Manual / 3.55 / Recaro
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 02:02 PM
Reverse Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I don't know if this counts as "canadian TV" because they play it (or used to anyway) on PBS in the states...it was called "The New Red Green Show" and it was from Canada, it was very, very funny...I miss it.
It is regularly on our "The Comedy Channel".

The show that I enjoy the most out of the USA is The Daily Show. Yeah, yeah, I know....politics. But it is funny as hell.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 11:37 PM
4th Gear Poster

try getting a twinham for the pc is you have a powerful one , for those of us that still have our dave dish it works wonders i watch dave @110 or BVU @91 , besides with some good HDD and ram it can be a lot better than a tivo i have 1gb of ram and have 800mb assigned to the TV , i can rewind programs 55minutes or record shows and store them in the hdd in mpeg2. also when the nagra2 swap comes will be much easier to emulate ina PC than a pansat.

PM if you want more info.

1990 5-speed BHJ balancer , ASP underdrives with march WP pulley, 5%OD, optima red top, Magnaflow resonator no cats, solid motor/tranny mounts .
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 07:14 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Kevin
I have an ExpressVu - for now.

Because I have a PO box in Buffalo NY, I'm subscribing to DirectTV. You can have up to 5 receivers on one subscription, so we're maxing it out and have 5 seperate houses they're going into.

Just gotta get around to picking them up from BestBuy!

1992 Mercury Cougar XR7 5.0 - Rust In Pieces
1995 Mercury Cougar XR7, rust free Florida car - future 5.0 project

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in