Science as a profession...... hmm - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
**** nuts

Send a message via AIM to ITHURTZ
Science as a profession...... hmm

Again i am pondering the college idea, my sister was doing the periodic table and it reminded me how much i liked science. I am not sure how college works, but what all classes would I need to get into the science field, and what all postions inquires science? like what jobs are available?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 07:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
cool man, call your local community college and ask them to send you a class catalog, you can read through all the descriptions and see what interests you.

Then talk to the financial aid person, and you can get state aid and tuition assistance if you qualify (most folks do)

JH
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 07:19 PM
PostWhore

Your not going to find much in the science field at a community college. They can give you a general start in the right direction but you will more than likely need to go to a university to get the knowledge needed to be in that line of work.

What are you interested in? Science has a very broad base. You have many choices.

Some supercharged cars blow.......Others just pick up and move.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 07:28 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 96bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEDM8
Science has a very broad base. You have many choices.

That is the truth. Good luck.....if you want something easier....there are all kinds of biology degrees out there. Chemistry is bit harder to go through, but very doable if you are willing to spend time on it. You might be able to take a General Chem, biology (not biological science either), and maybe Organic chem at a community college, but make sure that you check out what transfers over to the university that you want to attend because it can suck to have to take a class over again just because the university/colleges can't agree on courses (most community college classes aren't at the level that university courses are). I know a bunch of people that have been able to slip in an Organic Chem in summer classes at a Community college and get away with it transferring. The community college program is much easier, so if you could get some classes there first it will be cheaper if you can't get a scholarship/grant.

Russ

JL's chassis braces, ST springs w/ 1 coil cut in rear (27.2" F 28" R), Airlift airbags (5 psi), Bilstein shocks, Cobra brakes F & R, ROH RT 17x9s, 255/285s Khumo Ecsta MX tires, 2.5" dual exhaust w/borla mufflers, 1 3/8 f & r bars, remote filter,subframe buildup, Al differential bushings, J-modded '02 tranny, 9.5" DD stall, 30K Hayden cooler, PI intake, 02 GT MAF, XCal 2

Want to talk/hangout with MN12 owners from GA? Go here.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 10:30 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to whitecoug
Here is an example of classes you'd need for a BS in biology at Iowa State. I just ran a quick search.

http://www.biology.iastate.edu/biopage04/Major.html

You can cruise around the university site also to get some more ideas of what's required. Here's a list of liberal arts and science programs here too.

http://www.las.iastate.edu/departmen...rsminors.shtml

Enjoy

Joe

1994 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L Special Edition

PnP'd NPIs, PI Cams, PI intake, 80mm GT MAF, 24# Injectors, Shorty Headers, SCT Tuned, Jmod, Trans Cooler, 3.73's, Underdrives, Zex Dry kit 75 shot, Dirtydog TC, Trans built by Darrin, 97 Cupholders

219 RWHP/256 RWTQ NA
280 RWHP/343 RWTQ Bottle Fed (75 shot)
[email protected] mph 5/20/06

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
**** nuts

wow alotta things.. And i though science was science! I better start thinking harder
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 11:25 PM
PostSkank

Send a message via AIM to StupidFly
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITHURTZ
wow alotta things.. And i though science was science! I better start thinking harder

I wouldnt think too hard about it just yet if you can avoid it, I know I pigeon holed myself when I started college, now that I figured out what I really want to do, I'm playing catch up.

Check out the community colleges to get started on. Let your counselors know what you want to do, they WILL help you get set on the right track. CCs are ALOT cheaper too.

math > pasta
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 11:54 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Chemistry...:shudder: Biology is probably the easiest general science, if you're just looking for a science degree. Personally, I like physics the best, but I don't know how good you are at math, physics involves quite a bit of calculus. Also, you don't necessarily have to get a straight science degree. You can also consider engineering. You'll take most of the same classes, but the aim is being able to apply the scientific principles you learn in a design, instead of preparing you to do research. Mechanical engineering is my major, BTW. College can be tough but if you can handle it, IMO it's the way to go.

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII
1998 Contour SVT (for sale)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 12:04 PM
4th Gear Poster

You could go into all kinds of stuff man. My fiance is a chemistry major, she's goin to pharmacy school next year.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
**** nuts

ya i hate math lol (except for business math i took as a blowoff class junior year, so easy!) I like biology, I got an A in the class no problem. I guess it just boils down to if a science job would be fun, Chemistry was fun, I got to set alot of things on fire. BUt I doubt I can get a job where I can just set things on fire..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in