exide battery. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
exide battery.

So I put an exide battery in my tbird last fall. I kinda had to buy a battery on a sunday afternoon, and ended up going to sams club to pick up this nascar or whatever exide battery. So I tossed in it, it worked fine. Now the car sits in semi heated storage over winter. Its probably about 45 degrees and bone dry where its stored. I've been starting the car on a monthly basis. So, its been about 3 weeks since my last start, I drive out to the place to start it, and let the coolant warm up to 180 degrees, then i shut it off.

Sure enough the battery is dead as a doornail. I had to jump it with my truck.

I got it to start, but kinda ticked that a new battery wouldn't last 3 weeks of non usage. Nothing is draining it, I have the alarm disabled and stuff like that. The building has a ton of security on it, so I don't need a car alarm going off inside there.

I guess the moral of the story is to stick with motorcraft batteries, or optima if you are feeling sporty/racy. The battery in my truck is oem from 1998 and works fine.

JH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 04:40 PM
Who is John Galt?

I just replaced my OE motocraft one in my 96 in July. The motocraft's are pretty good batteries.

"Won't work, can't be done"
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 05:14 PM
Heavily Medicated Crime Fighter

Send a message via AIM to Mark M. TCCoA VP Send a message via Yahoo to Mark M. TCCoA VP
These cars will pull down any battery in a few weeks and I don't start mine often so I know. The only way to store these cars is to disconnect to battery or get a one amp trickle charger for the battery. If you store a car for the winter in the cold states you should remove the battery from the car and bring it inside or it could freeze. You can leave a disconnected Optima battery in the car for the winter because it does not have the reg water/acid liquid mix.

Mark

"Mark M. TCCoA VP. Emeritus"

To the Batmobile ! ! !

ADDCO MN12 big bar R&D guru

Last edited by Mark M. TCCoA VP; 01-30-2005 at 05:21 PM.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
thanks mark, i'll pickup a solar battery charger. Where its being stored doesn't get below freezing, but there is traffic of folks coming in and out who drive their cars daily.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 12:13 AM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

We use Exide Batteries at work, they are damn powerful. then again they are 3 feet tall, 2 feet wide and 5 feet long.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 08:46 AM
4th Gear Poster

Does anyone know how good Sears Die hard Battery is ?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 08:46 AM
PostWhore

Cool

Something else to consider as well. Starting the car and letting it run at or around idle every few weeks is not enough to keep the battery charged. Even if you rev. it a couple of times. You have to either put an overnight trickle on it once in a while, or drive it. This comes from personel experience. Even a new battery ( some are better than others ), when installed, will loose some charge over time. Some may not agree, and that's fine. It's just that I've dealt with ALOT of automobiles so far in my life, and that I may be able to relate personal experiences that may be of some use.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 09:46 AM
Johnny Five is Alive
TCCoAAC Member

Send a message via AIM to WkStill Send a message via Yahoo to WkStill
If storing your car, I would disconnect the battery, and if possible, put some form of battery tender on it.. Solar is nice, but is a dead giveaway for any would be theif.. Or just take battery home w/you, and bring it to the car when your starting it up every month.

I have a 74' 302 that sits out back, i start it once a month, the battery is a Autozone Duralast, its date is 96-01 (its 9 years old) and sits on a battery tender in the garage, i drag it out to the engine, connect up gas, and start it, and let it run for over an hour, shut if off, and put the battery back in the garage.

Pulling a Lead Acid battery is 0 volts is detrimental to them.

1984 Merc Cougar
5.0L, GT40X HEADS, E303 CAM,X303 Valvetrain
1998 4R70W Controlled by Baumannator TCS., 3.73 Track Lock Rear., Bauman Lev 3 Shift Kit.
190LPH, 67mm EGR, 65mm TB, 73mm C&L MAF, 24lb/h Inj, TwEECer RT, A3M EEC-IV
TCCoA-AHole Crew 2004
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own. They are not meant to start a flame war or discourage people. Just my honest opinion and nothing more
Just great, 4 mores years of GOP crap, Im republican, and I endorse this message
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 12:57 PM
TCCoAAC Member
%n haters club

Send a message via AIM to Deus003 Send a message via Yahoo to Deus003
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBird
We use Exide Batteries at work, they are damn powerful. then again they are 3 feet tall, 2 feet wide and 5 feet long.

And other dimensions as well.....

--Craig

I like my coffee black, like I like my metal.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 03:39 PM
motor city poster

Send a message via AIM to Red96Bird
thats what has been in my car since ive owend my bird, all i can say is i hate that friggen piece of stinkin cow shiat....

would leak around the posts, not causing my car to start at least once a month, and it would always happen when im not at home or very late at night at home and then my alarm would not dis arm because of that, leaked soo much acid it coverd the ends of my battery cables, and then this winter, it wouldnt hold a charge, had it tested and it turns out it has a bad cell, so i personally will never buy an exide battery again..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in