repack front bearings, 98 f150. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
repack front bearings, 98 f150.

I'm coming up on the 50k service for my 98 f150. It says to repack the wheel bearings. I couldn't find this procedure on my ford dvd, I was wondering if this was something that was really simple to do or not.

Also what kind of grease do they use?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 05:27 PM
PostWhore

Cool

Well, I guess I can tell you the old school way of how I used to do it. The parts may be different today, OR, this may not apply to your truck at all, but this still should give you some idea of what needs to be done. Since I'm sure you know what the parts are and how they're placed, it should be easy for you. I'm also assuming that you are just doing a repack and not a replacement of the bearing races, or worse, the spindle. If it's a 4 wheel drive, this procedure may be different, but hopefully close enough. O.K. Now, you have two bearings to repack. An inner bearing and outer bearing. Once you take the wheel off, there is a center cap you must pop off that covers the outer bearing retaining nut, nut retainer, washer, cotter pin and bearing. First, straighten the cotter pin and remove it. It can be reused if it doesn't break. Remove the retainer from over the nut, then remove the nut and washer. Wiggle the hub to see if it can be removed. The outer bearing assembly should just fall out. That is what needs to be repacked. If nothing is damaged, the hub should pull right off the spindle. Wipe the grease from inside of the outer hub and check the bearing race on the outer spindle and hub.. Make sure there are no nicks or cuts. Check the bearing assembly to make sure none of the little bearing rollers are missing or loose. Now look at the spindle. Is the inner bearing race still on the spindle? Wipe the grease off of it and inspect it. If it's nicked, cut or damaged in any way, you'll need to replace it and the inner bearing and the race in the hub. Now flip your hub over and look for the inner bearing assembly. You should be able to pull it out with your hands and fingers. That is what needs to be repacked with fresh grease as well. Check it the same way as the other bearing. Assuming all is well, it's time to repack your bearings. Get Heavy Duty wheel bearing grease. The best stuff comes in a small tub. Don't get the smooth, shiny looking crap. What you want is almost stringy. First, wipe any old grease from the areas you are going to regrease. glob some on the inner and outer spindle race on the spindle. Glob some inside the inner and outer hub races. Now take a nice big glob in your left hand and put the inner bearing in your palm and work the grease thru the bearing. scoop some out of the tub with your other hand and keep adding grease till it is a big sloppy mess! Don't be stingy. Now place the inner bearing back in the hub and replace the hub back on to the spindle. Now grease the outer bearing the same way. Place it back in the hub. Now dab some grease on the washer and replace it. Reinstall the nut and slowly tighten it as you turn the hub by hand. These usually should be torqued. You'll need to look that up. Once you've torqued the nut, back it up to the closest slot for the cotter pin. Now replace the nut retainer and cotter pin. Now glob some grease in the bearing cap and replace it. Put your wheel back on and your done!!
I hope this applys!! I'm tired!

Last edited by Uncaged 94; 01-30-2005 at 05:43 PM. Reason: text!!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 06:16 PM
Birdless

Send a message via AIM to Grasshopper Send a message via Yahoo to Grasshopper
What he said. ^^^
My '00 Expedition went pretty much like that. Not too hard.

A man may smile and bid you hail
Yet wish you to the devil;
But when a good dog wags his tail,
You know he's on the level.
--author unknown
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 07:43 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94TchikinV8 Send a message via Yahoo to 94TchikinV8
Ya'll are doing this in your hand? You haven't heard about the zip-lock bag trick? Do the basic procedure like uncaged said. When I repack bearings, I found it easier to put a bunch of grease in a ziplock bag. Then put the bearing in the bag and seal it up. Work the grease all the way through the bearing, pull it out and reinstall it. There's a lot less mess this way, and it's easier to keep the extra grease for future repacks, or just pitch it.

1994 Thunderbird LX V8

Still in pieces in the garage awaiting body work, paint, and a drivetrain...

Currently driving a 98 Mustang GT convertible:
02 Explorer engine, Comp 262ah cams, Steeda underdrives, aftermarket H-pipe with high flow cats, SLP LM1 exhaust, MGW shifter, RAM clutch
[email protected], 2.17 60ft(stock 2.73s, worn-out trac-lok)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 07:44 AM
PostWhore

Cool

A plastic bag?!!! This ain't "Shake-n-Bake". That ruins the whole experience! Why do you think we're called Grease Monkeys? I like to feel what I'm doing. Keeping your hands involved serves a purpose. AHH!!! Yuts' today. Too many tech. books, not enough experience.....
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 07:57 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Ok, there is this neat thing called a bearing packing tool...

It's cone shaped and you just sandwich the bearing between each half and use a grease gun to pump new grease in. Keep pumping until you see new grease coming out.

Works 150% better than by doing it by hand since it uses pressure to repack the bearing AND it forces the old grease out.

Something like this: http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/pcd/574...5969/ccsyn/260

And yes, I used to do it the "old way", but then I woke up.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 08:24 AM
PostWhore

Cool

Now that's the ticket!! Your on the ball. I forgot about those. Good tool!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 10:45 AM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Ok, there is this neat thing called a bearing packing tool...

It's cone shaped and you just sandwich the bearing between each half and use a grease gun to pump new grease in. Keep pumping until you see new grease coming out.

Works 150% better than by doing it by hand since it uses pressure to repack the bearing AND it forces the old grease out.

Something like this: http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/pcd/574...5969/ccsyn/260

And yes, I used to do it the "old way", but then I woke up.
Amen. We repack trailer bearings in our service shop. I suppose we do 16-20 wheel hubs a week. (There was one week we did over 100 hubs) Trust me, no matter what the price on one of those tools, your job is done 75% faster. Though I still wish there was an easier way to clean them than in the parts washer.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 10:50 AM
Johnny Five is Alive
TCCoAAC Member

Send a message via AIM to WkStill Send a message via Yahoo to WkStill
I used to do it old school, then got cheap $5 packer like above, my dad used to have at the shop a machine you actually put the bearing in, and it packed them for ya :-) no pumping or anything...

1984 Merc Cougar
5.0L, GT40X HEADS, E303 CAM,X303 Valvetrain
1998 4R70W Controlled by Baumannator TCS., 3.73 Track Lock Rear., Bauman Lev 3 Shift Kit.
190LPH, 67mm EGR, 65mm TB, 73mm C&L MAF, 24lb/h Inj, TwEECer RT, A3M EEC-IV
TCCoA-AHole Crew 2004
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own. They are not meant to start a flame war or discourage people. Just my honest opinion and nothing more
Just great, 4 mores years of GOP crap, Im republican, and I endorse this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in