Frustrating Ford observations... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Expert

Send a message via AIM to Embalmer
Frustrating Ford observations...

Basically, I'm whining about Ford's departure from the performance market when everybody else seems to be making huge strides to get there. The Lightning is as good as dead, the Cobra still a year away and the SVT Contour and Focus are gone. Also - why does Europe get better versions of Fords than we do? I've been keeping tabs on other manufacturers and Chrysler now has 4 performance variants (Crossfire SRT, 300 C 6.1L, Ram SRT-10 and the Neon SRT, not to mention the Viper. Look at GM - they're putting V-8 engines in their FWD cars like the Impala, Bonneville, Monte Carlo, etc. They also have performance versions of other vehicles like the Saturn VUE, Ion, Chevy Cobalt will have one, the Z06, etc. Look at Cadillac! They make Lincoln look horrible when you just look at their product. It doesn't matter if you like the Art & Science theme at Cadillac, 5 years ago they were NOTHING! Look at them now with the CTS-V that has a Vette motor in it making 400 hp! The STS-V has a blown Northstar motor and they are hinting at a blown version of the XLR convertible.

Don't even get me started (too late!) on the import brands. Look at BMW and Mercedes - most ot those cars are already performance biased and then they come out with the "M" or "AMG" versions. It seems almost every model they make now has a juiced up version. Acura, Mazda and others are geiing in on this game and what does Ford offer right now? NOTHING.

I was hoping the new Lightning would blow away the Dodge truck, but alas, now we have no performance truck and Dodge has the reigns. I bet Chevy will even kick up the performance of it's Silverado SS and don't rule out Nissan for a performance Titan. Did Coletti retire because Ford basically shut down SVT?

It's hard being a Ford guy these days!

2007 Ford Mustang GT Premium - SOLD March 2014.
2013 Ford Taurus SHO (TUXESHO) Tuxedo Black Bone stock for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 04:35 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to RyanG
Hey but we have the Mustang..
Or the ford GT which might fall apart or blow its motor....

Ford tried but they need a turbo focus, a 4.6 in the 500, and similar go fast options on their everyday cars.

PS GM still blows, right now they are all FWD trash or a $70k Corvette. They can't expect huge sales on FWD cars when the 300Hemi and Mustang are selling like hotcakes. The new impala might make power but why have all that power and just get torque steer?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 05:06 PM
Boom.

I hear ya Jim.

TCCoABAMFC - Founding Member
Official Member of the TCCoA Evil Underground Moderator Conspiracy
TCCoA Gun Club

2003 Mach 1 - 4.6L DOHC V8/4R70W

1995 Cougar XR7 - PI 4.6L SOHC V8
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 05:55 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to lightevergreenfrost
My thoughts exactly. I looked good in the mid to late 90's when there was a SVT Cobra, Contour, Focus, and F-150. Not to mention the never built thunderbid. Although car companys make all their money on the basic cars, people still like to dream about having one. Someone might buy a v6 mustang, just because it as similar as they can afford to their dream car. To me it is just good buisiness to have a performance brand. I starting to become a Chysler fan, SVT and SRT are close.

T-Bird Registry Number 27526
My Car Domain Site
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2282851
My Space:
http://www.myspace.com/jordonjones
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 10:20 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

That's it exactly. Even though the performance lines are expensive and don't sell very well relatively, their image "rubs off" onto the rest of the company's products. Ford's new line is rather bland, the only thing worth I'd buy is the Mustang or the trucks.

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII
1998 Contour SVT (for sale)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 02:17 AM
**** nuts

Send a message via AIM to ITHURTZ
Corvette Convertable
62,905.00$ WITH 8,000$ in option. Id say its far from 70k
so 54g standard with 400hp, ya good price id say
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 12:06 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to thumphed Send a message via MSN to thumphed Send a message via Yahoo to thumphed
still easily twice the price of a FWD POS bowtie....wheres the middle ground?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITHURTZ
Corvette Convertable
62,905.00$ WITH 8,000$ in option. Id say its far from 70k
so 54g standard with 400hp, ya good price id say

1988 5.0 Bird
(daily driver)
1991 Super Coupe
(Sold to Pollandfenix)
My CarDomain Page
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 12:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
Heck, i'm glad they put the taurus to bed and came out with a decent looking sedan, the Fivehundred, and Mercury Clone. They are great driving cars, and AWD available. CVT transmission, these cars are really cutting edge, I would drive one daily if they weren't so expensive.

Hybrid Escape is kinda a niche market, but its a neat truck for hauling kids around.

And we didn't even mention the new 05 mustang, and the GT40 car.

06, they are coming out with a Ford Fusion, which is like a caddy CTS sedan. Only bad part is they forgot the v8, the top motor is a 210 horse v6. Six speed automatic trans also.

Heck, I like alot of the stuff ford is building right now. But the imports have them beat on price, and my next daily driver will be an import.

I'm still waiting for ford to bring the falcon here and keep the turbo straight six motor in it, or the falcon with the 32v 5.4. And if a Falcon UTE came here, I would trade my truck for one tomorrow.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 01:23 PM
4th Gear Poster

I was looking at some cars at the LA auto show awhile ago. All the luxury cars in the 40k-60k had between 300-360 horsepower. Then there is the Lincoln town car (240hp) and LS (280hp) WTF??!!

Didnt ford say this was the year of the car? Luckly I have 40 years of good fords to play with.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 02:26 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

i see this crap daily and its that , crap! they kill off names, good car lines and come out with these over plasticed pos's NOT EVEN TRUCKS ARE GOOD RIGHT NOW ! how do you explain to a 40k super duty customer that his brand new truck with a 1,000 miles just shattered the transmission case becasue of some beancounter that saved them 3 cents ? and you cant compare hp to other cars ford torque is rated diffentley than others and you have to look at types of motors too.

64 ford galaxie -FE powered beast!- sleeping giant
69 cougar standard- 347/c6 -efi restomod, heidts prog 4 link heavily modified front, custom strutrods boxed lowers rollerperches 620 lowering springs! meier shock tower brace
96 f150 supercab lifted beast! 351 powered beast
87 shasta roadmaster 29ft travel trailer- pimpdaddy camping!
mn12 less!

Last edited by jk69cat; 02-02-2005 at 04:38 PM.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenich
I was looking at some cars at the LA auto show awhile ago. All the luxury cars in the 40k-60k had between 300-360 horsepower. Then there is the Lincoln town car (240hp) and LS (280hp) WTF??!!
I would NEVER EVER buy a Town Car. Powertrain wise, why does the Town Car with a 40K sticker, not get the 32V motor??? The Continental got 32 valves and it was FWD! The Marauder got 32V and it was over 5K less! Imagine all the grandpas out there who are embarrassed to pull up next to a Cadillac at a stoplight because they would get OWNED!

Here's an idea Ford: Any car starting over 35K should get a DOHC motor. Plain and simple. How do they justify the 2V motor in the Town Car when you can spend less and get a better motor?

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 05:27 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk89cat
and you cant compare hp to other cars ford torque is rated diffentley than others and you have to look at types of motors too.
I could be wrong but I was under the impression that after all the playing around with HP and torque numbers of the 60s early 70s the Federal government mandated how the engine HP and Torque have to be figured. If I am missing something I would love to know, this way I can restore some of my faith in FoMoCo.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 09:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embalmer
I would NEVER EVER buy a Town Car. Powertrain wise, why does the Town Car with a 40K sticker, not get the 32V motor??? The Continental got 32 valves and it was FWD! The Marauder got 32V and it was over 5K less! Imagine all the grandpas out there who are embarrassed to pull up next to a Cadillac at a stoplight because they would get OWNED!

Here's an idea Ford: Any car starting over 35K should get a DOHC motor. Plain and simple. How do they justify the 2V motor in the Town Car when you can spend less and get a better motor?
The town car is more of a fleet vehicle than it is anything else now. Seriously though, its not a performance vehicle nor will it be. Its for taking clients to the airport in. You don't see too many of them on the road as personal cars, they are all taxis. Thats why it has the 2v motor in it.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 09:44 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

i worded that wrong , what i was trying to say is that you have to look at the over engines its beign compared too. as in if they are both ohv or ohc , fords are made for torque where as chevys are hp rated and the numbers are quite different . that should make more sense

64 ford galaxie -FE powered beast!- sleeping giant
69 cougar standard- 347/c6 -efi restomod, heidts prog 4 link heavily modified front, custom strutrods boxed lowers rollerperches 620 lowering springs! meier shock tower brace
96 f150 supercab lifted beast! 351 powered beast
87 shasta roadmaster 29ft travel trailer- pimpdaddy camping!
mn12 less!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Amateur Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinH
The town car is more of a fleet vehicle than it is anything else now. Seriously though, its not a performance vehicle nor will it be. Its for taking clients to the airport in. You don't see too many of them on the road as personal cars, they are all taxis. Thats why it has the 2v motor in it.
I agree with that statement, but why does Lincoln have to relegate their "flagship" car to rental and limo duty? Shouldn't a car be wanted because of it's features (styling, power, comfort) instead of it's ability to haul people to the airport? Design a car I WANT, DAMMIT!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in