Advice for all...lessons learned...the hard way. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak Kid
Advice for all...lessons learned...the hard way.

Ok, as some of you know I blew up 1/2 of my 1994 V-8, well, I had everything planned out to a "T". well, due to unforeseen circumstances, plans have changed...which leaves me and my wife in a bind....

Here is the advice:

DO NOT think your plan is infallable...there is no such thing. ALWAYS plan for the worst, just to cover yer @ss. never expect your p1ss poor planning to turn into someone elses emergency....and lastly, don't blame anyone else but yourself for YOUR poor planning...

I have come to a point in my life/situation where I have had to take a step back....and it sucks. I had this wild dream that I can go from "zero to hero" in 3 weeks...not happening. My shortblock will not be done in time (not the builders fault at all, but more mine for being so $%#$% pushy...

So now, I am in a bind...and it blows. For those of you who have expectations and timelines...extend them out by about 2 weeks....for your sanity and THE reality...nothing ever goes as planned...nor will it ever.....

Thanx for letting me vent...I am honestly to that point where I am considering giving up on my 94 bird and go buy a taurus(sp)...

Shane

NOTE: the person building my engine will most likely read this...note to that person: You have nothing to do with my feelings on this...I can't thank you enough for all you have done for me, but apparently that black cloud over my head has other plans....

EDIT: being selfish and self centered only hurts the outcome that much more...as well as those who are trying to help.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 09:17 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 92five0bird Send a message via Yahoo to 92five0bird
I can vouch for that man, and then getting in a hurry trying to finnish a project........ not worth it. The best way to learning to do it right the first time is having to do it a second time............

Good luck with the car man, trust me, only time will allow you to finnish the car.......

"Its better to be stroked than blown, but its best to be stroked and blown"
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 09:39 PM
Braincoating! It's what all the cool kids have!

Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak kid
....being selfish and self centered only hurts the outcome that much more...as well as those who are trying to help.....
Well, maybe it does and maybe it doesn't. You now are only beginning to understand the
complexities of what has to happen to complete this type of project.

I’m at the 8th month mark, John (cam94) is at a year mark, Mike & ‘goldbird’ are
soon to be counted in quarter decades.

Your expectations may have been out of line with circumstances & situations. That’s life.
My better half has been relegated to operating a station wagon because this has taken so long
and I have done this a lot more times than you!

So, take this moment to cry a little, moan, lament and reflect on the powerful insight you have gained
by doing what you have done.

Experience is the ultimate teacher.
You have now been schooled.

www.BRAINCOATING.com..... Powder & Ceramic Coating

WWW.PRESTONSBOOKS.BIZ..... Books at really great prices!
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Banned

wow, well worded....it hurt, but well worded....

MODS: change my status to :schooled:
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 10:00 PM
Whining Intakes Rock

Only took me 4 months to put in another trans, cooler and rear end.

I maybe nuts, (according to TbirdBrain) but family comes first.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/ I like intakes that whine \_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_

# SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;
# 0 rows returned
# drop table users;_
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_Florida
I maybe nuts...
yup... your nuts

I have been workin on my engine since August of 04. Good work takes time.

RIP Joel Bender and Preston Smith. The world will never be the same without you.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 10:43 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
shane shizznit happens. I wanted to have my motor in by May 3rd, but preston was behind schedule, I was personally behind schedule....ive been planning and buying stuff since late january and stuff is finally all in, valve covers are powdercoated, there isnt a whole lot left, but you cant rush good work. Like the sign in every bodyshop...Good, Fast, Cheap...pick any two.

be patient....anxiety wont do you any good.

joseph

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 11:12 PM
Back in Black

Administrator

Amen. The major work on my car was done in four days, with a lot of help from two cool guys. Took over a month to get all the parts, and another month and more parts afterward the major work to get it dependable again. And that was an engine that went straight out of one T-bird and into another.

Like has been said before. Estimate worst-case scenario money and time, then double that. And once it's all said and finally done and running smooth as silk it's a very nice feeling.

R.I.P. Joel Bender 07/30/79 - 03/26/06
R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975-2011

1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6 AED 349.27RWHP/391.29RWTQ Engine Build Exterior shots
2002 Thunderbird Premium Triple Black 3.9
2015 Fusion Energi SE Luxury Magnetic Gray
*SCRAPPED* 1994 LX 4.6 NA [email protected] 236.07RWHP/286.26RWTQ
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 01:18 AM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

I've been waiting a month for my crank to get back from the balanecing. Everything else is ready, but one thing can stop a porject dead in it's tracks. Even after I have everything to do my swap, I'll save up an extra $500 for that one thing you always forget...

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 03:22 AM
No More BS

i have a feeling you wont be done by the time me and Joel get back so I will Scurry my TonsOfun self down there.....or out there

1988 Lincoln Mark VII
Paxton Novi 1000 6psi kit, 30lb injectors 73mm C&L, MAF converted A3M, gt-40's, Felpro headgaskets, 1.7 Cobra RR's, typhoon intake,1 5/8 shorty headers, off road x-pipe, and full mandrel catback, electric fan, 3.73's, TKO 500, pro 5.0 shifter

372.4hp / 394.6tq 5psi

Rest in Peace Joel R. Bender.
July 30, 1979 - March 26, 2006
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 04:10 AM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to ThomasR91169
to quote one of my more favorite novels.

"the best laid plans of mice and men, often go awry". one of the things i live by. so many people plan they want to do this and that, and it should be done by this month, i just laugh at them, and tell them "when i see it, ill believe it"

its cool to have things set out in a given timeline, but like you said its best to give yourself breathing room, a "if **** happens" barrier. that way, "if **** happens" you can be ready.

Quote:
Like has been said before. Estimate worst-case scenario money and time, then double that. And once it's all said and finally done and running smooth as silk it's a very nice feeling.
so very true. even though my turbo swap and setup took maybe 5 hours to do it all, i still planned out the whole weekend and had asked if people could work for me into the week just in case.

Quote:
Good, Fast, Cheap...pick any two.
psst. its "fast, cheap, reliable - pick any two"
if you want fast and cheap, its not gonna be reliable
if you want cheap and reliable, its not gonna be fast
if you want fast and reliable, its not gonna be cheap

if you owned a dsm, youd live by this mantra.

1994 Tbird 4.6l, 3 trannies later and still bone stock.
Click to See
2002 Stang GT, 5spd "Ellie", Eleanor Tribute. Stage 3 Roush Kit, Saleen S281 Spoiler, JMS / Ironman Customs CL-2 C-Pillar Panels. Black Racing stripes on Pepper Grey. Minor Bolt ons, Real mods coming soon(Procharger, VT cams/Headwork, 31spline Eaton Rear, T-56 Swap)

Last edited by ThomasR91169; 05-10-2005 at 04:17 AM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 08:13 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasR91169
"fast, cheap, reliable - pick any two"
There is so much truth to that statement it's almost scary.

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII
1998 Contour SVT (for sale)
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 10:16 AM
Recidivistic Procrastinator

Don't go nuts over it Shane. It happens. I budgeted a couple of months. Started July 7, 2004, expecting to finish it by Labor day weekend. Had trip planned that weekend so no problem right? Eight weeks should be enough to swap an engine right? Wrong! Unfortunately things came up beyond my control. My J-spec built transmission was the furthest thing from being built to "j's" specs. Had to have another one built and thankfully by a member of this board that went out of his way to help (THANKS TFHS!). By the time I had that sorted out, two girls named Frances and Jeanne came to visit the state of Florida. My car was buried in my garage from the 3rd week in August till the last week in September. Now we are well into October, and the holidays are around the corner. I knew if I did not finish by November I would be pretty well screwed. I would have no more time. In a rush to get done, self inflicted a couple of "wounds" and at that point, I threw my hands up. I had borrowed cars for a couple of months from friends and family but that was no longer an option. I finally broke down and bought a cheap car to drive daily.

Now of course I changed my mind again since time was no longer a factor. car is apart. My problem was never having a plan from the start. Kept buying parts and realized that what I would have assembled woulld not hold up and doing this twice was not an option. Not sure if I have ever fulley learned that lesson as evidenced by what I am doing again.

So hear I am now, May 10, 2005. My car in pieces again and awaiting more parts for a 3rd revision of the same basic project. Hang in there. You will get it done.

Not sure I will ever do something like this again, but it was something I have always wanted to do. Once it is done, hopefully I can enjoy it for a little while before I get the bright idea to change something again.

My word of advice. Buy a cheap DD and take the pressure of having to get it done in a specific time period off you shoulders. May delay your project for the short term, but you will be happier in the long run. Trust me. It hurts to see my car sitting in the garage everyday, but not as much as trying to figure out how I was going to get to my job next week.

94 LX 4.6
Hibernating...
Engine built by Jim O'[email protected] Racing
I live with "fear" everyday, sometimes she lets me race...
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanx for the support guys...I just hate it when things don't go as planned. I am gonna still do it, I have a local person that has a used 95 full engine that I may put in...I just need to see how long of a delay I am looking at before I do two engine swaps. Once I hear something, that will be the ultimate deciding factor.

Shane
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 03:16 PM
Boom.

My advice, find a '94-95 shortblock, put your PI H/C/I on it and put it back in. It's gonna be more work swapping back to the '94-95 intake setup and you'll be regressing unnecessarily in performance. Finish the forged block as time/money becomes available.

TCCoABAMFC - Founding Member
Official Member of the TCCoA Evil Underground Moderator Conspiracy
TCCoA Gun Club

2003 Mach 1 - 4.6L DOHC V8/4R70W

1995 Cougar XR7 - PI 4.6L SOHC V8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in