Any one a tech at a shop/dealership..opinion wanted - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
motor city poster

Send a message via AIM to Red96Bird
Any one a tech at a shop/dealership..opinion wanted

well i dont really know where to start but ill give this a shot

ever since i started taking auto mechanics classes 3 years ago in highschool i've found out i love to work on cars. enough to where ive taken autoshop all through highschool and i am going to atttend college in ohio in the upcoming summer for the next 2 years.

ive talked to a couple people, and have gotten many different opinions

my teacher says: that there can be/is great money in the field, they dont get enough techs to fill all the jobs, (sounds great to me)

guy i work with: he says that its a dieing trade and wont last much longer, and there will only be dealerships around in the future doing all warranty work. (i can understand where hes coming from about the warranty work and such, but a dying trade?)

my uncle is a master mechanic for ford: He enjoys his job, hes always loved to work on cars and tinker, and he says to this day he still loves his job and makes good money. (sounds kinda like me, i love to take apart things, figure crap out and i enjoy working on auto's)

well i guess any opinion is welcome. just kinda throwing some questions through my mind about, great am i kinda now stuck with this and the trade really is dying, or is the guy i work with just kinda tired of his job in a tiny independant shop not making enough money?

Thanks,

Patrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 08:00 PM
3rd Gear Poster

you get back what you put in to it , what i mean is i have a mech. that's worked for me for 2 years, fresh out of tech. school Then there is a mechanic that has worked for ford for 10 years "and been a mech. for thirty" my point is this you get paid per ticket and the tickets are set so if you know your stuff you can have 16 ticket hours in a 8 hour day .........the point of my remark above is the rookie made over 60 grand last year and the" old man." made around 40 grand like he always does" so my point is you can get anything you want if you work at it .....and no its not a diying career
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 11:30 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

It's about efficiency. If you can troubleshoot, r/r a part quicker than the next guy (and done right) one way or another your going to get paid more.

There will always be a need for independant mechanics. Did you know that you can bill the maker for warrenty work done at an independant shop? Plus there's always aftermarket stuff, restorations, collision repair, etc.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 12:29 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Here's a more general statement for you, since I'm not too familiar with your particular industry:

Do something you want to do. The more you enjoy doing it, the more practice you'll get. The more practice you get, the better you will become at it. The better you become at it, the more you'll enjoy doing it. Interest and skill perpetuate one another; improvement and success are fueled by both.

Looking for another MN12 for a new project!
1997 Thunderbird Sport SOLD! :-(
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 12:57 AM
midnight toker

Send a message via AIM to dameon Send a message via MSN to dameon Send a message via Yahoo to dameon
I can say from the same boat your in I just started my auto classes this past semester, and i've heard the same things you have, but i have to agree with johnjoe, i've worked at a small independent shop for 9 months which is where i learned that working on cars had more appeal to me then just a weekend thing, and i can say he's correct if you work and love it, it will show and you'll make a decent living... and the world is too mobile for this market to die and people will always have old cars and not want to deal with the the dealer, so take it for what it's worth..... good luck in what ever you do!

In Memory of Jose Calvetti
12-27-1974 - 7-23-2005

There is no replacement for displacement. Only ways to make the small dog act like the big dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx_Cat
... i do not have the tools nor the knowledge.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 01:37 AM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Work at a Ford dealership, they pay great and have really nice shops, plus your skills will be more specific to certain makes. Though general knowledge of all cars is required, obviously.

I'm no professional mechanic by any means, but I do work at an oil change place and an auto parts store (2 jobs), and what I can tell you is, the biggest thing about it is dealing with people. If you cant deal with people you will not like your job. Most people have a tendency to think shops are out to take your money and nothing more. You have to be honest and sincere, and ALWAYS nice. But if you love working on cars then pursue it. I like just working my two jobs, but plan to attend school for auto mech next fall, I'm thinking about going Ford tech, but not quite sure yet.

-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in