post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to SVT2888
Hell's Freezing Over!!!!!!!! Toyota Recall

Toyota recalling more than 750,000 trucks, SUVs

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

BY KEN THOMAS
ASSOCIATED PRESS

WASHINGTON - Toyota Motor Corp., in one of its largest safety recalls ever, said Tuesday it is recalling more than 750,000 pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles because of problems with the front suspension that could hinder steering.

The company said the recall covers 774,856 vehicles in the United States, including the 2001-2004 model years of the Tacoma, the 2001-2002 versions of the 4Runner and the 2002-2004 model years of the Tundra and Sequoia.

Toyota said the surface of a ball joint which connects to the front suspension may have been scratched when it was manufactured, which could lead to wear and tear over time.

Any excessive wear or looseness in the joint could force drivers to exert more effort when steering, allow the vehicle to drift and increase the amount of noise from the suspension.

Ming-Jou Chen, a Toyota spokeswoman, said the company had confirmed six cases in which the condition existed in the suspension. There have been no injuries associated with the problems.

Toyota said it planned to conduct a similar recall of the affected vehicles in Canada, Japan, Australia and other countries, but did not immediately have the number of vehicles that would be covered outside the U.S.

Chen said it was one of the largest recalls in company history.

In 1992, Toyota recalled about 550,000 Camrys from the 1987-1990 model years because of the potential for power door locks to malfunction and lock passengers out of or inside the vehicles.

In 2002, the company recalled nearly 400,000 subcompact and minicar vehicles exported to the United States, Europe and Canada because of improperly designed brake fluid pipes.

In Tuesday's recall of trucks and SUVs, owners will be notified beginning in July and will be able to have the problem fixed at no cost, Chen said.
http://www.freep.com/news/latestnews...7_20050517.htm

Mods: Concrete Median
CNCpics.com-Automotive Event Photography
Facebook
Ebay Store
Official B-team member. Viva La Revolucion!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Toyota investigating Prius stalling complaints

DETROIT (Reuters) - Toyota Motor Corp. (7203.T) said on Monday it is looking into complaints in the United States that its popular Prius hybrid car suddenly stalled or shut down, often at high speeds on highways.

"We have been alerted to the fact that some owners might have a problem," Toyota spokesman John Hansen told Reuters. "We are going to go back to our service records to find out what owners have had a problem like this and how many."

The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said it has received 13 complaints so far of the gas-electric hybrid vehicles stalling or stopping unexpectedly.

Toyota dealers attributed the problems to a software glitch in the car's complex computer system, according to some complaints.

NHTSA spokesman Rae Tyson said the agency is monitoring the complaints but that no formal investigation has been launched.

Toyota has sold 34,225 Prius cars so far this year. There is usually a waiting list to buy the vehicle, which has a gasoline engine with an electric motor to increase fuel efficiency. The Prius gets as much 60 miles per gallon of gasoline.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/autos_toyota_prius_dc

Facebook
Ebay Store
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 07:08 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to thunderbirdlver Send a message via Yahoo to thunderbirdlver
haha good!

If your exhaust tip is larger than your cylinder bore, then you are a Ricer.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 07:36 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 8ate8
Yea but at least they admit it and recall the vehicles, unlike some faulty tires on a certain known manufacturer

Jersey Rice
NJ Thunderbird & Cougar Club
Sold '96 Thunderbird LX 3.8l :: Cardomain Page
'93 Thunderbird SC 3.8l - 12 second car. 14 second driver.
'05 Toyota X-Runner
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 07:40 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to thunderbirdlver Send a message via Yahoo to thunderbirdlver
i have 2 firestones on the shadow that r actually just about bald. been on for a couple years now. if ur not stupid and keep an eye on tire pressyre ull b fine. plus the people that wrecked were too stupid to just let off the gas a coast safely to a stop. they did a study on tv where they could let the air out suddenly at any time without the driver knowing and at 70 the dude was able to safely stop. i have had a blow out also and im still here and also how does that relate to ford? y should ford admit to that?

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 07:46 PM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbirdlver
i have 2 firestones on the shadow that r actually just about bald. been on for a couple years now. if ur not stupid and keep an eye on tire pressyre ull b fine. plus the people that wrecked were too stupid to just let off the gas a coast safely to a stop. they did a study on tv where they could let the air out suddenly at any time without the driver knowing and at 70 the dude was able to safely stop. i have had a blow out also and im still here and also how does that relate to ford? y should ford admit to that?
The Firestone issue was supposedly only on the Ford SUVs, and it wasn't a problem with blow-outs. It was the re-treads Ford used on new vehicles that shredded apart with little or no warning. I had one of my original Firestones do that on my MN12, and it happened to be the left-rear tire. The tread had actually separated from the rest of the tire. But, eh, what can you do? Shouldn't drive on stones anyway.

"Push the stands back, take the plates off, and let us RACE!" ~ Dale Earnhardt, Sr.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 07:55 PM
PostWhore

didnt that cause blow outs?

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 09:19 PM
6th Gear Poster

Not to my knowledge, but I'm probably wrong. All I know is that my tire was 100% inflated after the tread shredded to pieces from it.

"Push the stands back, take the plates off, and let us RACE!" ~ Dale Earnhardt, Sr.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

The Chevy Suburbans had the same problems as the Explorer but they never got any bad press.

Facebook
Ebay Store
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 02:11 AM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

they had a big recall on engine sludging as well.....

Toyota? I want a real Ota....

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in