Job Change Was I In The Right? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Job Change Was I In The Right?

Let me start off by saying I am a automotive window tinter. When I was 18 I started off not knowing a thing about it, and in the past almost 4 years I have gotten to be quite the tinter. I am better than the other tinter here, and he's been tinting for 20 something years. The place I am at right now pays well, 20% commission on anything I do. On average we get mostly 4 door car at $200 being the cheapest film. I can do that car in no more than 2 hours. Now like I said before, pay is well, but what the buisness has gotten to be is, well, a downward spiral. The boss doesn't show up anymore, twice a month if that. Paychecks are usually late, yadda yadda yadda. Now out of the blue I get a call from someone that has heard of my tinting quality, honesty, and drugfree self. She offers a job... Automotive Manager at a place that has been in buisness for 27 years. What they offered was $700 a week, plus commission of the cars I do, and when I hire another tinter, a commision on what he\she makes as well. They also said they throw in bi-weekly bonuses of $200 to $300. They seem alot nicer and more caring to their empoyees than the bosses I have now. I have never asked for a raise, but when the other tinter asked for one for the both of us, they quickly said no. Yesterday (Monday) I told my boss I am leaving. I feel so sorry because they are the one's who taught me how to tint, and now I'm leaving and joining "competition". I heard he called me a backstabber and other course names. I am starting my new job next Monday. What do you guys think, was I in the right in making this decision or not?

K&N AirCharger System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 11:03 PM
Banned

you were soooo right to leave that other job. just give them a month or two and they might be bankrupt. any place that gives you late paychecks arent reliable and arent trustworthy. do bills care that your boss paid you late? does the bank care that you couldnt pay cuz your employer wasnt responsible? i dont think so

yea that shop helped you gain knowledge but you were the one that gained the experience and technical skills. a shop cant teach experience, that is something you do on your own and seeing how its a commision shop id say you have no one to thank but yourself!!

congrats on the new job and i hope it leads you to a better RELIABLE source of income
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 12:27 AM
Eleventeenth Gear Poster

You didn't do anything wrong aside from not giving a 2 week notice. Although, if the boss is calling you names for quitting you were probably better of not giving a notice.

Did he expect you to work there forever? I hope not.

Sold = 96 Thunderbird
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 02:29 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Don't be bothered by what your (former) boss is calling you. You have the right to get your paychecks on time, as well as a boss that's actually *there*. And besides, if the other place offers you more money, a nicer work environment, and (probably) more future, heck, I'd jump on that.

Member of the "Dude, where are my 2 other cylinders" club.
Mods so far: air silencer delete. More to come.
"If a deaf woman has an orgasm in sign language, does she smash up the entire room?" --Unknown
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 03:21 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Great advice above, and I agree.
I won't repeat any of it, but WILL say this....

Don't worry about what your employer says, go where the money and stability is.
All that matters is yourself. Don't let a jealous boss stop you from advancing and bettering your life.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 05:57 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

You made the right decision for the right reasons.

Don't start second-guessing yourself.

Good luck at the new place !

Steve - TCCoA member
2003 Crown Vic LX Sport
1995 T-Bird LX 4.6 retired at 247,888 miles
Thanks for the ride !
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 06:42 AM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to jarends00
I did just about the same thing 4 months ago. I left my other job for the one I am curently in. I never have days that I wish I wouldn't have gotten out of bed. I gave my employer a 4 days notice. They also had my email addy so they were emailing me and asking me where stuff was. I helped them out for about 2 emails, since then, I have cut off all contact with them. You did the right thing. Just remember, no one is going to watch out for your *** but YOU.

Wiz

I keep bodies in my trunk for traction.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 06:53 AM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to goodguy
I agree with the others. You have to look after yourself first and you owe your old boss nothing. After all, if he cared even a little, you would get raises with out even having to ask for them. Good luck on the new job.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 07:18 AM
Resident 40th Anniversary Expert

Send a message via AIM to Shawn40th
Sounds like a good choice to me. I did something similar except with the no job ahead. I knew the bosses were coming to where they weren't going to pay for a couple extra weeks at least and I need the money for rent and all. I said good bye to that and have a slightly beeter job now.
It sounds like a much better job for you. And it will get you higher up if that is what you are looking for.
Best of luck!

"People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people."

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII, LSC - Green/Tan Leather, Sunroof, etc. FOR SALE. Inquire within.

Current car: 1999 Corvette

The 40th Anniversary Tbird is gone. Her old website & CarDomain page

Senior Member of the 'B-Team'.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Thanks guys I appretiate it, you have no idea how much that helps. I would have given a 2 weeks notice but the new place needed me as soon as possible. Plus what I find funny is we've had the water shut off more than once, always late on paying bills, it was rediculous...

K&N AirCharger System
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 07:48 AM
On Probation

I think that you made the right decision if your boss is treating you that way it just confirms you thoughts about him and the business.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 08:27 AM
Birdless

Send a message via AIM to Grasshopper Send a message via Yahoo to Grasshopper
It's good practice for you. You're still young and, while you've got a cool job, the more, well, professional jobs that you may be in later in your life require SO much more BS to get in and out of. Live your life to make you happy right now. Work hard for you and your boss, but don't let abuse take away your life.
You made the right choice.

A man may smile and bid you hail
Yet wish you to the devil;
But when a good dog wags his tail,
You know he's on the level.
--author unknown
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 10:43 AM
PostSlut

umm that about covers it.

Good luck with your new job.

BTW, how do you like the new place?

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 11:33 AM
PostWhore

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in