Another approach to selling your car on Ebay!! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Another approach to selling your car on Ebay!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Off subject, I know so dont flame me, this seemed like the best place to post this.... but can you guys believe this???? I just wanted to share this with everyone, because this is an approach to selling your car that Ive never seen before!
I know, sorry its not a Tbird.. BUT!!
its a good idea!! people are bidding because at this point they are so curious to see what it is, its almost like a mind game with some of these people!!

Does this mean I could put a tarp over my Red 93 LX Bird (worth about $2000), and get more money for it than its worth!!

I personally think its an S-class under that tarp!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 01:35 PM
PostWhore

No way it's an S-class under there... It's got way to sharp corners..
I think it's just a bunch of boxes or the frame work of a BMW och MErcedes..
or something like it.. Doesn't even say it's a car!

www.mn12racing.com

True duals are on!!!
Check video (9.5 megs)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 01:47 PM

I agree with Matt. Original price of $78K, German engineering, and "Such Exquisit Luxury" adds up to Mercedes SEL, probably 500 SEL, early-90s.

Unfortunately I couldn't do that - people wouldn't like to buy a tarp and find a '93 SC with engine problems that they would have to tow away I wouldn't be a very popular person for long

-Greg
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Those exact word are what made me think the same... a lot of the hints are under the section where the question's are asked of the seller and answered.. someone on ebay told him it looks like a 92-99 s class.. and the seller could only answer that. maybe it is, or maybe it isnt!! The next hint he gave what that it was german engineering, and based on the ?'s other people asked, he said its operational and will drive anywhere without a problem...

I thought the angles looked shart too.. but he could have put boxes on top of the car which under the tarp will give it a different shape... When I took the first look at the front shot of whatever it is, I was thinkin it was a vintage Chryslyer 300C!!

Otherwise, the only German engineering I can think of that is around $78,000
is a Mercedes, BMW, or Audi...

But what if??? what if this was really just a POS car that drives good!?! Im going to be asking this guy at the end of the auction what it was.. now im curious... lol....

I have lots of legit computer items on ebay which arent selling, then I go to this section and there are people bidding on Boxes that have question marks on them, with the caption "what will you get?".. People are spending thousands on items that they dont know what it is!!! it looks like ebay excitement is getting to people... excuse me,, I think im going to go list an empty box now that come with free items... Ill laugh if I do better at that then with selling parts!!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

OMG!!! its up OVER 3k $$$ right now!!! I cant [email protected]*#ing believe this!!!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 02:22 PM
Who is John Galt?

What do you wanna bet eBay will pull it. They did the last one that i saw that was a mystery car (remember that old Nash?)

"Won't work, can't be done"
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 03:42 PM
PostSlut

crazy sh1t

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 03:59 PM
Raoul Duke

This is off topic, but I am so tired of reading eBay auctions where the seller types in all caps with no paragraphs... hell, no structure at all.
It seems like every other Cougar/Thunderbird auction I look at is exactly like this!
If you were selling something on eBay, why set it up as to annoy potential buyers with that crap?

It looks like an old Bimmer, judging by the grille/air dam that's peeking out from under that sweet, sweet tarp.

1996 Mercury Cougar XR7
4.6 - Dynomax-Equipped - Tranny Cooler - 3.27 T/L - 125k Miles
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 09:03 PM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to Teal94BirdV8 Send a message via Yahoo to Teal94BirdV8
I'm going to guess

-Mercedes Benz SL Lorinzer, AMG, Braubus (Aftermarket Tuner)
-BMW M5 Alpina (Aftermarket Tuner)

Although, in the pic of the front you can see the bottom of the bumper. Its too rounded to be those above cars, the profile sure resembles them. The front bumper kinda looks Porsche-ish..

94 LX V8 & 93 SC gone. Not forgotten.
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC Cobra U/L intake, PP 65mm TB, Powerdyne BD-11 8#, Walbro 255, FRPP 30lb Injectors, MSD ignition, 3.8 Taurus E-fan, A9P MAF conversion, Pypes 1&5/8" Shortys, O/R H-Pipe, 4.10 Trac-Lok, T-5 swap, FRPP flywheel, Ram HDX clutch, Steeda Clutch kit
2002 F150 FX4 Lariat 6" Fabtech, 3" BL, Stock FX4 wheels, 37x12.50 Nitto Trails, Yukon 4.56s, Detroit TrueTrac, Edge Evo, 8K HIDs, PowerStop truck&tow kit
1996 GMC Suburban SLT 6K HIDs, crystal clear light set, daily beater @ 222k miles

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 10:55 PM
$.25 poster

Send a message via AIM to AlpineBird
Its been done before, and somebody posted it here. I think the last one we saw went for atleast 30k.

People are Crazy. Or is it being smart? who knows......

'96 Alpine Bird 281ci
- Clear Corners
- DynoMax Cat-Back
- Purchased with 36,000 miles, now at 101k
- No mods planned untill it's DD life is over

1998 5.9 Limited Grand Cherokee
- Flowmaster Exhaust
- AEM Brute Force Intake
- Mopar Performance ECU

- 275hp-395ft/lbs at the crank (est.) Track results in the spring!!!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 09:10 AM

Clue today makes it a Mercedes 420 SEL (4 plus water minus the H = 42o = 420). And a quick search on autotrader shows that unless the bidding picks up, he would have made more money without the tarp - unless it has extremely high miles, 1990-1995 420SELs are selling for $8-10K on average.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 11:56 AM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to x182dan
It's up to $5,000

1995 Mustang GT(331stroker, trickflow heads, cam, intake, cobra seats, foose nitrous rims, 410s, etc)-your average slow sn95
2002 Ranger XLT(daily driver)
1994SC to 5.0 conversion(gone)
1990 SC-b&m shifter, SCP exhaust, ported exhaust manifolds, ported and polished heads, cold air intake, mark8 mafs(sold)
1989 Taurass SHO(sold)
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

My family sold a '79 SL450 for over $13,000 last year and that had 164,000 miles, but it had a completely rebuilt motor and trans. otherwise, it was VERY pristine, and incredible. Nothing visually, interior or exterior was wrong with it.

If this really is a 420 sel, than this guy is some sorta schmuck that gets a thrill from these "mystery's" because that car would sell for a lot if it was pristine like he said..

Ive done some research, and apparently the newest craze is these mystery auctions... evelopes stuffed with cash that you buy for a certain amount, without knowing the amount for sure that you are getting.. and Ive seen some of those with bids close to $1000!!

Draw a red ? mark on a USPS box, tell people you dont know whats inside, and that whatever is inside comes for free and will be "worth" more than they paid, and some of these random boxes are going from anywhere between $300 - $4000!!! Lots of things out there are "worth" a lot more than you qould actually get paid for it!! Stupid people are getting consumed with excitement by these auctions I guess.. Its an Ebay thrill thats quickly picking up.. Im going to try a "mystery" jewelry box, and a "mystery" consumer electronics bundle myself.. Ill probably try it tonight or tomorrow.. Ill keep you buys posted to see it it works for me or not.

in fact, type in the word mystery under the search and look under the "everything else" and "totally bizarre" category.. There are SOO many people doing this, and its working for them.. some people get their auctions pulled because they make it look like a raffle.. you just have to be very careful in what you choose to say in your auction.

Could you imagine one of your items with thousands of hits, over 50 watchers in "my ebay", and the price going into the thousands of $$$'s only for Ebay to pull it at the last second??
This guy with this blue tarp mystery got his auction pulled last week, so when he relisted it, he choose better words to use..
I wish there was a general forum section for the members who want to BS and share things like this, unless there is and I just didnt find it yet...
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 01:59 PM

There is a forum for this type of discussion: Miscellaneous
http://forums.tccoa.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22
and your original post got moved here!

-Greg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in