suspension help - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

suspension help

this is non t-bird related so thats why im putting it here. i have this really nasty popping noise in the front end of my wifes 97 plymouth breeze. so far i've replaced the LCA's, struts, and end-links. these were all parts that have been recommended as likely culprits and while they were bad the noise is still there. the only thing in the front end left to change is the UCA's but i dont what to replace them unless i know for sure they are bad. the reason im asking is i took it to a dealer to have it diagnosed and they said the noise was from the rack and pinion. does this sound right to anyone? it makes the noise with the wheel turned like when your backing out or coming into the drive way. well anyway, thanks in advance for the thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 04:51 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFanatic
this is non t-bird related so thats why im putting it here. i have this really nasty popping noise in the front end of my wifes 97 plymouth breeze. so far i've replaced the LCA's, struts, and end-links. these were all parts that have been recommended as likely culprits and while they were bad the noise is still there. the only thing in the front end left to change is the UCA's but i dont what to replace them unless i know for sure they are bad. the reason im asking is i took it to a dealer to have it diagnosed and they said the noise was from the rack and pinion. does this sound right to anyone? it makes the noise with the wheel turned like when your backing out or coming into the drive way. well anyway, thanks in advance for the thoughts.
It's front wheel drive, right? Popping noises with the wheels turned is a classic symptom of a bad CV joint. If it's not FWD, ignore this post...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 04:57 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Is it a pop pop pop as the wheel turns when you are backing out of somwhere, or does it only pop once? If it does it more than once, then it's probably the outer CV joint going bad on that side, depending on which direction the wheel is turned when it pops.

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

its not a constant noise as in it doesnt do it while your driving down the road. it does it when your backing out of the driveway, or it will also do it if you crank it hard one way and then back the other way.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 06:32 PM
Veteran Poster

Is it front wheel drive?

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

yes. the only things left that i can think of would be the cv joints, upper control arms, and the steering rack. all expensive so i want to narrow it down.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 08:22 PM
Veteran Poster

If it's a cv, it shouldn't make any noise if you aren't giving it gas around a turn. Go around a turn under power, then not. If the first one make noise and the second don't replace the CV's. That the easyest way i can explain it.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in