Missing the old days of NASCAR - Am I Nuts? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Missing the old days of NASCAR - Am I Nuts?

I started watching NASCAR when I was about ten or so. I remember NASCAR being on TNN, and you didn't have most of the flashy graphics and extras that you see so much when FOX airs it. Case in point : The NASCAR sexiest driver competition. It seems more and more that NASCAR is starting to care more about the soccer-mom bandwagon fans then the people who actually care about how the cars run and the mechanics behind the race.

I was a Dale Earnhardt fan right up until he died, despite his dry spell and people giving my flak becuase I was a ford enthusiast and my driver drove a GM. He was a racer in a true sense, he didn't buy into the intense commercialzation and only endorsed products he actually used. I think his son could learn a lesson from him, as he seems to care more about image than actually racing. If I watch Nextel nowadays, I root for whatever ford driver is near the front. I watch the Craftsman series more nowadays

I also miss the old days of NASCAR becuase that's when they ran the Thunderbird, you know at least it was RWD.........

So am I alone in saying this or has anyone else noticed it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 07:44 PM
6th Gear Poster

Yeah, NASCAR sucks now. I don't even watch it anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderwoz
and people giving my flak becuase I was a ford enthusiast and my driver drove a GM.
I know what you mean. Although the Thunderbird is the only Ford I like.

"Push the stands back, take the plates off, and let us RACE!" ~ Dale Earnhardt, Sr.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 07:52 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to SVT2888
I agree with you, I too miss the TNN days. I remember the first race I ever watched from start to finish was a Bristol race. It was the one where Dale Earnhardt Sr. tried the bump and run on Terry Labonte. Terry crossed the finish line sideways and hit the wall. I remember seeing him in Victory lane celebrating with his car all smashed up. My favorite driver back then was Ernie Irvan. I would also root for Dale Jarret. I only occationally catch the races nowadays.

Mods: Concrete Median
CNCpics.com-Automotive Event Photography
Facebook
Ebay Store
Official B-team member. Viva La Revolucion!
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT2888
I agree with you, I too miss the TNN days. I remember the first race I ever watched from start to finish was a Bristol race. It was the one where Dale Earnhardt Sr. tried the bump and run on Terry Labonte. Terry crossed the finish line sideways and hit the wall. I remember seeing him in Victory lane celebrating with his car all smashed up. My favorite driver back then was Ernie Irvan. I would also root for Dale Jarret. I only occationally catch the races nowadays.
I always thought that the short track events were some of the most exciting races NASCAR had on their schedule, That and I am one of the few people who enjoys the events at Watkins Glen and Sonoma. But another annoying trend is that all the new speedways being constructed are all huge tri-ovals. Would a little variety hurt?
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 08:05 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

True I love the short track and the road courses. I think that they should have more road courses, maybe even a street course. All the new cookie cutter tracks suck! If you don't show the tracks name you can't tell one from the other. Rockingham was one of my favorite tracks.

Facebook
Ebay Store
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

That's what CASCAR basically is, I guess in canada they don't have a lot of purpose built speedways so they wall off parts of toronto and let the cars loose, I saw it on SPEED once, it was actually pretty intresting to watch
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 08:14 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderwoz
That's what CASCAR basically is, I guess in canada they don't have a lot of purpose built speedways so they wall off parts of toronto and let the cars loose, I saw it on SPEED once, it was actually pretty intresting to watch
Don't even get me started about SPEED. I remember how I used to always watch speed channel. That was like the only channel I watched.

Facebook
Ebay Store
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 08:33 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to thunderbirdlver Send a message via Yahoo to thunderbirdlver
well in the old days they could bump and stuff and still b fast. now the smallest bump and air doesnt flow so well around u. toyota in the truck series is kind of stupid. racing was supposed to b an american sport i thought. let the japs make thier own truck series and race over there. pretty soon ull see honda in nascar with nos and huge mufflers.
im getting off track

If your exhaust tip is larger than your cylinder bore, then you are a Ricer.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 08:47 PM
PostWhore

'You think it's bad now? After Danica Patricks's showing in the Indy 500, NASCAR is really on the bandwagon to get some woman drivers in the field - I just read a story about this in the newspaper today. It's all about the ratings, and if it takes people that would be better on Bay Watch or American Idol to get more fans/viewers, as long as they can start driving well enough to place, that's what we'll start seeing...

John

'96 T-Bird 4.6 LX, SVT Cobra Rs, 245/50R17 BFG Comp T/A, D-chip
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

I say let 'em race in the truck series, It's always fun watching an import truck get thrashed by a 150 right?
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnaec
'You think it's bad now? After Danica Patricks's showing in the Indy 500, NASCAR is really on the bandwagon to get some woman drivers in the field - I just read a story about this in the newspaper today. It's all about the ratings, and if it takes people that would be better on Bay Watch or American Idol to get more fans/viewers, as long as they can start driving well enough to place, that's what we'll start seeing...
I read the same thing. Want to know something intresting about IRL? Your car is only as good as the amount of money you throw at it, moreso than NASCAR. One team, Ferarri I think, had their own SPECIAL FUEL for their cars. In NASCAR, at least some driver skill is involved. Didn't Shawna Robinson race in a few nextel events? yeah, went NOWHERE. Partick only got as far as she did becuase her team had a ****load of money. Give any NASCAR Team that much and they could win races with any driver.

Then again look at those IRL Cars, Pushbutton shifting? come on.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 09:54 PM
PostWhore

Cool

I remember watching the races on an old color console in our wreck room down stairs when I was small. It had a turn table on one side and an AM/FM stereo radio with an 8-track player on the other side. Oh yea, I forgot. NO Cable! I had to keep adjusting the electric Tenna rotor to keep the picture clear. That was when the main channels were CBS, NBC, and ABC. Thinking back, That's when I used to sharpen my Dads Broadheads too
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 11:41 PM
$.25 poster

Send a message via AIM to AlpineBird
Im with everybody else, NASCAR just dosent excite me anymore like it used to. Back when i was younger thats what i lived for, but now it has become too mainstream, the cars all look the same, there are too many rules and i prefered the espn and tnn broadcasts over the current ones.

It really isnt the same. Im also having a hard time getting used to this new generation of drivers. I miss the ole days when the big names actually ran at the front.

'96 Alpine Bird 281ci
- Clear Corners
- DynoMax Cat-Back
- Purchased with 36,000 miles, now at 101k
- No mods planned untill it's DD life is over

1998 5.9 Limited Grand Cherokee
- Flowmaster Exhaust
- AEM Brute Force Intake
- Mopar Performance ECU

- 275hp-395ft/lbs at the crank (est.) Track results in the spring!!!
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 03:24 AM
Like Titles Matter

Yes it sucks now. The closest thing to the old days is the truck series. With more and more old timers heading over there(Mark Martin next year), the truck series is the one bright spot. The trucks are fantastic at daytona, no plates on them, so they can slingshot pass just like the old days.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 01:34 PM
Chief of Warranty Police

Send a message via AIM to LiquidCougar
Yeah, I will definitely agree with the fact that NASCAR is not what it used to be... as it seems to be the way of a lot of things these days.

I still watch it because to me, racing is racing.... even if they put rediculous restrictions on the motors so all the cars have the same exact top speed.....

1990 XR7 3.8L SC - Still waiting for time and money to come together at the same time..
1991 Ford Ranger
2003 Ford Escape

It's an MN-12 thing... you wouldn't understand.

Cowboys still do ride horses. Only today it's not just one at a time.
It's 454, each one alive, penned in 8 cylinders. Eating asphalt. Kicking dust.
Screaming out loud, "Don't you dare stop for water."
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 04:31 PM
PostWhore

Cool

Update, Biffle just won here in Dover!, Mark Martin 3rd, Sadler 7th?, Kensith 9th?, Busch 10th. "F"astest "O"n "R"ace "D"ay!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 06:14 PM
Who is John Galt?

Yeh, I've really all but stopped watching Nascar anymore. It's always the same driver's, same style tracks, etc. etc. The only way I go to (or watch) a Nascar race is with the Indiana State Marching Syacamores when they do the Brickyard 400. Anymore, IMHO, the driver's are getting way to childish. If they get bumped out of the way, get penalized, whatever, they start whining on TV (Like Harvick yesterday after the Busch race). I just watch the WRC races whenever I can anymore. Now that's some good racing!

"Won't work, can't be done"
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 06:50 PM
Chief of Warranty Police

Send a message via AIM to LiquidCougar
...and of course you can't beat the Formula One Drags on the Speed channel..

1990 XR7 3.8L SC - Still waiting for time and money to come together at the same time..
1991 Ford Ranger
2003 Ford Escape

It's an MN-12 thing... you wouldn't understand.

Cowboys still do ride horses. Only today it's not just one at a time.
It's 454, each one alive, penned in 8 cylinders. Eating asphalt. Kicking dust.
Screaming out loud, "Don't you dare stop for water."
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 07:21 PM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to 5.0 Chero
Does any one remember watch Wiston Cup on ABC WIDE WORLD OF SPORTS!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry but it died when (43) King Richard retired!!!!

73 ranchero with a 89 5.0 EFI HO/AOD
THE PYL !
91 Tbird lx 5.0 swap
GONE 93 5.0 Stang vert
54 Ford Vicky PAXTON SUPERCHARGED 5.0 HO/AOD
86 F250 Diesel 4x4
GONE 89 Aerostar
2003 F350 Super duty
1996 Exploder
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 09:10 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Old loves and traditions die hard. Every week I build up an excitement about the next NASCAR race. And every week after it's over I think "ho-hum" big deal. I can't tell you how many times I've started to watch a race and after 25 laps or so I just go do something else and check in on it once-in-a-while. Lowes last week is kinda typical, 22 cautions and hours of nothing happening. NASCAR has regulated the sport to death, restrictor plates, templates, differential ratios, rules regulating every minute detail----please!! Someone gets a flat and gets off the track and it's still 10 laps of caution. Very few of the young guns can hold a candle to the class of the likes of Mark Martin. I don't think NASCAR will be around for the Busch's and others to mature like the old dogs. We'll see, the sport has to change direction or - Rest In Peace. I say all this with utmost sadness and regret. John
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 09:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
its sad how the speed channel is now basically the nascar channel. Sure I like watching nascar once in a while, but we don't need 14 hours of nascar talk on the stupid channel.

Nascar did a good job of branding itself, now its way beyond its 'redneck' roots, and its super mainstream now.

Someone is getting rich.
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 10:20 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

i miss the days when the cars were ACTUAL PRODUCTION BODIES , not this tube frame , fiberglass sided things. thats how we used to get all the really cool cars on the street, boss stangs, talledega torino's , galaxie fastbacks, 427 side oilers, w high rise heads, 427 sohc , etc. thats when racing was racing, the one who could build the best car , is who won, not this cookie cutter , restrictor plate crap . i remember wacthign all the stock cars in the early , mid eighty's and when they went to these fake bodies is where they lost me. they dont resemble the cars they are supposed to be in the slightest

64 ford galaxie -FE powered beast!- sleeping giant
69 cougar standard- 347/c6 -efi restomod, heidts prog 4 link heavily modified front, custom strutrods boxed lowers rollerperches 620 lowering springs! meier shock tower brace
96 f150 supercab lifted beast! 351 powered beast
87 shasta roadmaster 29ft travel trailer- pimpdaddy camping!
mn12 less!
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 11:24 PM
6th Gear Poster

i liked it a lot better before fox took over, there coverage was better, and they didnt try to have all the flashy graphics and adds. if i remember right, they got in trouble when they first started coverin nascar because they taped delayed one of the race because a baseball game ran late. infact, i dont like it when fox covers anythin, when ever the sox plays the yanks, theire announcers always favor NY, ratings are the only thing they care about

nascar hasnt been the same since the lost the man, the intimiidator was and always will be the best

01- mustang cobra- lazer red -bbk o/r x pipe w/ 40 series, JLT, waiting to install 4.10's
04 ram- ya, its a hemi- [email protected] -sold!!
92 tbird sc- sold!!!- almost made it to the 60ft mark

newest sales rep at Herb Chambers Ford in Braintree, MA, pm me for info
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 12:01 AM
4th Gear Poster

I stopped watching Nascar a while back, a few years ago I even went to a race just to see if maybe it would be more exciting if I watched it in person, and honestly it's just not got the appeal it had when I was 7. Now it seems to be nothing more than a bunch of rolling billboards driven by whiners, the only exciting thing is the crashes, and they have so much safety equitpment those are not quite as interesting... I know that's a bit of a morbid way to look at it... but it's so freakin boring now, all of my non-hick friends and I have lost total interest in it.

95 Cougar V8

sold twice and it still keeps coming back....
maybe she likes it here?
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 01:33 AM
PostWhore

Cool

I'm reading this thread and there is so much negativity towards Nascar racing. But it's all TRUE! They've even succomed to making reality shows. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Nascar racers have turned into IROC racers. They race identically prepared cars. If you never built a Nascar race car before, and you knew nothing about it, you could build one from the templates. Nascar "officials" say that they want to "level" the playing field. They say that it will make the races saver. And that it will make the races more exciting for the fans. This year there has been a number of "on track incidents" causing a record number of yellow cautions. They're always collecting someones race car from off the track! For me, that translates into a boring race because they're not racing. WEll, apparently (and of course we know) the Nascar "officials" truely don't know squat! Instead of drawing in more fans, they're loosing the ones they have. Even the drivers are leaving the series, or are threatening to. I wonder, could the drivers go on strike?
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 03:04 AM

I going to show my age here, but I remember when the only time you could see a NASCAR race on tv was on Wide World of Sports, and it was delayed a week so that you only saw about 30 minutes of racing. But you could tell what make a car was then without consulting a program because they all looked different. I believe the height of NASCAR was the late 80's and early 90's when each track negotiated its own tv contract. Once NASCAR took that over and we got Fox and NBC it went south in a hurry. I still watch each week, but I no longer have the level of interest I once had. I am not sure what the cure for this is, or if a cure is really needed. I mean everybody is making money hand over fist these days and who wants to spoil that. I just wish I could go to a race without having to take out a bank loan for tickets, hotel, etc.. I'll get down off the box now. I'm sure most everybody has heard enough and I could go on for a while. Well as we use to say may you be in heaven for a hour before the devil knows your dead!!

Tom

No Officer I do not know how fast I was going. The speedometer only goes to 120 mph.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT-Bird
I am not sure what the cure for this is, or if a cure is really needed. I mean everybody is making money hand over fist these days and who wants to spoil that. I just wish I could go to a race without having to take out a bank loan for tickets, hotel, etc.. I'll get down off the box now. I'm sure most everybody has heard enough and I could go on for a while. Well as we use to say may you be in heaven for a hour before the devil knows your dead!!

Tom
You guys realize the only logical solution is to make our own Thunderbird Racing leauge right? Man, Imagine how sweet that would be
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 04:45 PM
5th Gear Poster

I used to be a NASCAR nut; now I don't even watch the races anymore. It just went in a different direction that no longer interested me.
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 09:26 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbirdlver
toyota in the truck series is kind of stupid. racing was supposed to b an american sport i thought. let the japs make thier own truck series and race over there. pretty soon ull see honda in nascar with nos and huge mufflers.
im getting off track
What on earth gave you the idea racing is an exclusively American sport? Ever heard of F1, Le Mans, World Rally, DTM? Porsche? Ferrari? Cosworth? McLaren? What makes you mad, that Toyota is in the truck series or that they're just as good as the domestic makes? Nice ethnic slur, BTW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderwoz
I read the same thing. Want to know something intresting about IRL? Your car is only as good as the amount of money you throw at it, moreso than NASCAR. One team, Ferarri I think, had their own SPECIAL FUEL for their cars. In NASCAR, at least some driver skill is involved. Didn't Shawna Robinson race in a few nextel events? yeah, went NOWHERE. Partick only got as far as she did becuase her team had a ****load of money. Give any NASCAR Team that much and they could win races with any driver.

Then again look at those IRL Cars, Pushbutton shifting? come on.
Ferrari has never raced in IRL. You're thinking of F1, and I don't know whether the fuel thing is correct. And give Danica some credit. Yes, she is overexposed, but don't let the media saturation cause you to deny her legitimate talent. She made rookie mistakes, but she led a bunch of laps, and she'll win races in the future. She's a much better driver than Shawna Robinson ever was. If you're going to mock female race drivers, you'd better not forget Shirley Muldowney and Angelle Savoie.

Now, back to the issue. NASCAR needs some work. Make the cars look like cars again and get rid of all the 1.5 mile cookie cutter tracks like Kansas and Chicago, especially when they're added at the expense of tracks like North Wilkesboro and Rockingham. But NASCAR's main problem is that today's crop of drivers just don't have a tenth of the personality of guys like Harry Gant, DW, Dale, Mark Martin, Terry Labonte, Bill Elliott, Alan Kulwicki or a bunch of the others. I just can't care about whether Jimmy Johnson beats Greg Biffle or Kyle Busch.

Executive Editor, Ford Builder Magazine--hit me up if your ride is worthy!
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 10:41 PM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbirdlver
well in the old days they could bump and stuff and still b fast. now the smallest bump and air doesnt flow so well around u. toyota in the truck series is kind of stupid. racing was supposed to b an american sport i thought. let the japs make thier own truck series and race over there. pretty soon ull see honda in nascar with nos and huge mufflers.
im getting off track
Not too far off track.... Toyota is working on it. They want to run a car in NASCAR.

Dan
2008 Nissan 350Z Grand Touring
2010 Ford F150 Lariat
a bunch of motorcycles
(haven't come across my dream 97 Tbird yet)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in