Certified in HVAC??? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Certified in HVAC???

Does anyone know how to get certified in HVAC in Indiana? I am currently a criminal justice student but have been thinking latley that I may not want to be a cop and I looked at other majors at my school and I seen that I can get a technical certificate in Heating and Air(HVAC) with only a few more classes. Does anyone know the starting pay for heating and air? thanks.

97' silver t-bird sport- limo tint, pioneer head unit, Magnaflow duals, and k&n panel filter for now.

05' Cobalt Blue Chevrolet Cobalt- commuter car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 01:23 AM
Dim Bulb

Send a message via AIM to Falcon5783 Send a message via MSN to Falcon5783 Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon5783
I worked for my school district for a while and I think HVAC guys typically pay pretty well because of the speciality of their job, possible hazard pay, and if you're in a union or not

+1

Elliot
'95 who-the-hell-knows-what in progress
2003 Mustang Cobra radiator, 180* T-stat, Hayden Ultra-cool auxiliary transmission cooler, 13" slotted/cross-drilled front rotors, Dual-Piston PBR calipers Powder Coated Red w/ black logo, 17" 7-spoke Chrome Motegis, JVC Arsenal 5000 HU with touch screen, Kappa 5x7's, Audiobahn 12 pushing 550 rms, FF50 driving lights, FF75 fog lights, xenon 95 air dam, 97 side skirts, rear window tbird decal
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 01:53 AM
PostWhore

Cool

I went to a tech high school. I was trained in Appliance repair, but HVAC was a separate shop. Fortunately for me, it was the family business, so I had a lot more "on the job" training than my class mates. I learned HVAC from my Dad, Uncle, Cousin, etc., but I had no certification or "Paper to prove my knowledge". Plus I only did residential. Back in the '70's through the mid '80's, I made alot of money. Thousands. I always had cash in my pocket. But by the late eighty's, something came along that got so popular, that it killed the residential appliance repair man (here in my area any way). It was called "the extended service plan"! If you had some plastic, you could buy a new appliance (or a set like a washer/dryer combo) and add the service plan to the purchase, and pay for ir on time. Then when it broke down, and they did, it would cost you only 50.00 bucks or so to repair it, which would of been about one third of a typical repair bill in those days (refrigerators, freezers, etc. were higher). So now, unless you worked for Sears, or any one of a hundred department stores, you were scr**ed. So, having said that. If you do decide to go into HVAC, yes, there is a lot of money to be made. Just be sure that you go into Commercial/Industrial HVAC, and Fabrication and design. That's where the money is. But it's a lot of training and certification. By the way, I too studied Criminal Justice for a year and half. I wanted to do prevention, like training children, woman, etc., how to protect themselfs. But I saw too much Brain washing in the courses. But that's for another discussion. Good luck on what ever you choose

Last edited by Uncaged 94; 06-05-2005 at 02:02 AM.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Thanks guys!

97' silver t-bird sport- limo tint, pioneer head unit, Magnaflow duals, and k&n panel filter for now.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 10:29 AM
Heavily Medicated Crime Fighter

Send a message via AIM to Mark M. TCCoA VP Send a message via Yahoo to Mark M. TCCoA VP
Be a pipe fitter. If you are in the union and work in a big city you can make some good money. Here in MA you would be around $25.00 an hr.

Mark

"Mark M. TCCoA VP. Emeritus"

To the Batmobile ! ! !

ADDCO MN12 big bar R&D guru
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 03:07 PM
PostWhore

Cool

25.00/ hr. isn't bad, an HVAC first year tech. apprentise (around here, and I haven't kept up) use to start around 15.00/hr..And A good HVAC Master Mechanic (Commercial/Industrial) use to command a wage around 25.00/hr. as well, but that was 15 years ago. I have no idea what they get now a days.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 03:53 PM
Resident 40th Anniversary Expert

Send a message via AIM to Shawn40th
Lazania (Larry) is going into that field. If you have questions just ask him. From talking to him it seems like industrial and commercial is where the money is at these days. Although $500 for the repair man to come in a replace a burnt board that cost probably $50 seems pretty good too. The furness in my parents house had a problem. We could spell the burning and could even see a little bad parts of a small electronic board. Larry came by looked it over and said yup its that board. And he was a student. Then my parents being how they are wanted a "professional" to look at it. I told them Larry is just as good. So they guy came, replaced that board and $500 later it was working. Looks like they make good money to me. But most appliances are under warrenties or discarded when a major thing goes wrong these days. So its all the heating and cooling work in the house that still gets the calls and good money.
Many places a police officer makes good money. My cuz is a cop in NYC and he said after just five years they make something like over $60K a year. And that number is climbing and always growing. Along with govt benifits. Why switch? I guess HVAC is a little less risky of a job.
Best of luck.

"People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people."

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII, LSC - Green/Tan Leather, Sunroof, etc. FOR SALE. Inquire within.

Current car: 1999 Corvette

The 40th Anniversary Tbird is gone. Her old website & CarDomain page

Senior Member of the 'B-Team'.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

thinking of switching because a police officer: very high stress, high divorce rate, high suicide rate, average officer dies about 15 years before the average person, always have people out there that want to kill you, and they only make about $32,000 around here and I dont really want to move to NYC.

Last edited by tbirdsmitty; 06-05-2005 at 05:14 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in