Anyone here good with investing? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Resident 40th Anniversary Expert

Send a message via AIM to Shawn40th
Anyone here good with investing?

I don't have much but I wanted to do some investing. I am lookng at midterm things like 6-12 months. I have had CD's and mutual funds in the past and it must just not be my luck because they were low risk yet I lost a lot of money. So I am scared to go that way again. I know they are even more risk but I was thinking just a little bit in stocks. I mean there are some surefire ones. I know many people that have had stocks double in two years.

So I just wanted to hear if any of you do investing and what you have had the best luck in.
Thanks,
Shawn

"People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people."

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII, LSC - Green/Tan Leather, Sunroof, etc. FOR SALE. Inquire within.

Current car: 1999 Corvette

The 40th Anniversary Tbird is gone. Her old website & CarDomain page

Senior Member of the 'B-Team'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 07:45 PM
Chapter Director Coordinator

you askin a bunch of people who dump thousands of dollars into a car with hardly any resale value about investing?

good joke Shawn

just kidding
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 09:23 PM
PostWhore

First off, there is no quick answer. Secondly, everyone's goals are different which makes an answer that much more complicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn40th
I don't have much but I wanted to do some investing. I am lookng at midterm things like 6-12 months. I have had CD's and mutual funds in the past and it must just not be my luck because they were low risk yet I lost a lot of money.
Considering investing, 6-12 months is Short Term.
CD's have a guaranteed percent return just like a savings account, so you must have lost money in mutual funds. But you will get penalized by early withdrawl in a CD, so technically you could lose money by way of fees. Honestly, with your very short term goals in mind, the only safe thing I would look into is CD's or Money market funds. Some money market funds offer check writing privilages as long as you balance doesn't drop below a certain amount (usually $5000.) You're not going to make much at all in interest, but it will be higher than the return earned on a savings account.
Investing in stocks or stock mutual funds for this short of a period will be nothing more than speculation. But, if you can afford to lose the money and want to take on higher than average risk, then an agressive mutual fund might be an option (kind of like gambling.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn40th
I know many people that have had stocks double in two years.
Everyone will tell friends about the tremedous gains, but often keep quiet about the losses. If they invested between 1995 - late 1999, there is a great chance they did own stock that doubled and/or tripled it's price. But if they stayed in it, they probably lost most of the gains after 2000. Historically stocks are a wonderful LONG term investment (if diversified,) but I would stay away if you are looking for very short term.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 10:13 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack K
First off, there is no quick answer. Secondly, everyone's goals are different which makes an answer that much more complicated.

Considering investing, 6-12 months is Short Term.
CD's have a guaranteed percent return just like a savings account, so you must have lost money in mutual funds. But you will get penalized by early withdrawl in a CD, so technically you could lose money by way of fees. Honestly, with your very short term goals in mind, the only safe thing I would look into is CD's or Money market funds. Some money market funds offer check writing privilages as long as you balance doesn't drop below a certain amount (usually $5000.) You're not going to make much at all in interest, but it will be higher than the return earned on a savings account.
Investing in stocks or stock mutual funds for this short of a period will be nothing more than speculation. But, if you can afford to lose the money and want to take on higher than average risk, then an agressive mutual fund might be an option (kind of like gambling.)

Everyone will tell friends about the tremedous gains, but often keep quiet about the losses. If they invested between 1995 - late 1999, there is a great chance they did own stock that doubled and/or tripled it's price. But if they stayed in it, they probably lost most of the gains after 2000. Historically stocks are a wonderful LONG term investment (if diversified,) but I would stay away if you are looking for very short term.

im getting some cash soon $30,000 ,and im interested in investing them but i want as little risk as possible as theyre all my assets.

i want to invest ina 5-10 years term.

1990 5-speed BHJ balancer , ASP underdrives with march WP pulley, 5%OD, optima red top, Magnaflow resonator no cats, solid motor/tranny mounts .
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Resident 40th Anniversary Expert

Send a message via AIM to Shawn40th
Jack thanks for the advice. I know of the bad stock stories too. My family has quite a few. Yeah it was in the mutual fund that I lost money. In 1999 I had 5 grand invested. In about a year and a half I lost over a grand. But that was right around 2000. So I know those times first hand. It was even considered a low risk mutual fund. I think there were three classes of them. But even low risk means there is risk. I know that.
I guess with the stocks I was looking at when the line jumps up it looks inpressive but if the jump is only from 45 to 50 in a year it's really not that much money when your talking small investments.
I think from doing more research and what you had to say with what little money compared to other investors I was thinking of investing it would be best to just wait or find some CD or something. I know CD's used to go as low as 3 months for a small investment.
Thanks
Shawn

And yeah, I thought about that, what was I doing asking advice where I know people that have dumped 20 grand in a car that isnt worth more then 10.

"People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people."

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII, LSC - Green/Tan Leather, Sunroof, etc. FOR SALE. Inquire within.

Current car: 1999 Corvette

The 40th Anniversary Tbird is gone. Her old website & CarDomain page

Senior Member of the 'B-Team'.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 12:32 AM
Formerly Fdawg97LX

Send a message via AIM to Fdawg03SVT
if u have the money and dont mind a longer term investment buy some property. property value has been steadily increasing. at least in the Boston area. my parents bought the house we're living in now in 1990 for $185,000 and its worth $479,000 now.

2007 Dodge Ram 1500
2008 Suzuki GSX-R1000

Previous Rides:
2003 Suzuki GSX-R750
2003 Mustang Cobra 10th Anniversary - 11.2 @ 130
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6 - 13.7 @ 103
1993 Thunderbird LX 3.8 - Slow
1990 Thunderbird 3.8 - Slower

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in