Need some advice - Thinking of switching cars. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Need some advice - Thinking of switching cars.

Hello everybody.

I wanted some advice on what you guys would do.

I am thinking of getting a different car. There is this guy that has an 88 Turbo Coupe with a 2.3L Turbo, and he also has a 90 XR7 Supercharged.

I don't know anything about the 2.3L 4-cylinder engine, and know little about the 3.8 Supercharged. I was wondering what you could tell me about them. Is the 2.3L reliable? Is it fast?

I curently have a 91 XR7 with the 5.0L with all options except leather.

Would it be an alright idea to get rid of my car to replace it with one of those?

I briefly saw a spec sheet or something that said the TC has 3.73 gears from factory and an 8.8 rear end, and sport suspension and stuff like that, so it sounds like it is an awesome built car, but you guys are the experts. I have never really been a fan of Tbirds, nor Fox bodies, but the 88 Turbo Coupe looks pretty awesome too me. I don't know what it is, but I actually like a Fox Tbird.

Also, the XR7 Supercharged would be a cool change of scenery too. According to what I have read on here, they are much faster than my 5.0L XR7, and more can be done to it for cheaper.

What do you guys think??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 07:06 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to KrAzyT
CHEAPER? no possible way is cheaper than a 5.0 Id keep the 5.0 and mod that. There are tons of mods out there for it. Trust me! But if you have to... hell do what ya want everything costs money

1996 Thunderbird 4.6 -Sold-
259.4 hp and 285.3 tq on mustang dyno
Bunch of motorcycles
2004 F150
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 08:00 AM
1st Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to FOMOGO Send a message via Yahoo to FOMOGO
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrAzyT
CHEAPER? no possible way is cheaper than a 5.0 Id keep the 5.0 and mod that. There are tons of mods out there for it. Trust me! But if you have to... hell do what ya want everything costs money
Well... this is a 2.3 with a K&N, boost controller, and a replacement manifold that flows like the stocker does... thru the stock exhaust with no other mods besides whats listed.

This is the same engine with ported stock intake, a exhaust manifold made from plumbing elbows, intercooler from a buick, bigger turbo, and exhaust.
Stock never cracked open engine and no chip or ECU tuning.

Up to the level of that last dyno chart... I do think the 2.3 is the cheaper of the engines to mod. The 5.0 bird/coug starts with what... 125 at the wheels?

Jim
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 08:36 AM
Koolbreeze

Send a message via AIM to AndyR
the TC; is it a auto or 5-speed?

the Autos had 3:73s while the 5speeds had 3:55s
the auto or 5 speed, i believe, also decided whether it had dual exhaust or not... don't know why or which.

87-88 Turbo Coupes are also full of electrical d0-dads, and prone to electrical gremlins. Just don't be surprised by your lights doin funky things.

FOMOGO is the turbo 2.3 God; he knows his stuff. I was there for that second dyno chart. It was nice They can be made fast with out spending alot; and turbos are SOOO much fun.

I don't know enough about SCs to tell you about them.

She was driving the car, one thumb on the wheel; cigarette burnin, life to her was no big deal.
Her thin, white tanktop was almost see-thru; I've always been attracted to her dragon tattoo.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 09:08 AM
Slacks 12 months a year
TCCoAAC Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LX-Tasy
By far the Turbo Coupe.There are so many after market parts for them.Go to the sites I listed in the Turbo Coupe section and surf around.I have had a few TCs and love them, in fact I have an 87 right now that is sleeping until I decide what I want to do with it.With just turning the boost up to 18, K&N filter, 190 lph fuel pump and borla exhaust I could hang with an 03 Mustang GT.So they have alot of potential.

Supercoupes are fun cars until they break.Parts are very expensive and hard to find.Not saying that the TC parts are easy to find either but they are out there.

Good luck in what you get though, but I would go with the TC, but only if it is a 5-speed.
Thanks,
Chris

"My Other Ride Is Your Girl"
"If Nissan motorsports is Nismo, wouldn't Honda Motorsports be Homo?"
Before the internet, the village idiot would stay in his own village
REAL RACERS DRIVE STRAIGHT TO THE FINISH LINE, WHILE THE OTHERS DRIVE AROUND IN CIRCLES LOOKING FOR IT
05 Supercharged Ranger Edge tuned by www.blueovalchips.com
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 09:11 AM
1st Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to FOMOGO Send a message via Yahoo to FOMOGO
And its EASY to make a auto car into a 5 speed car.

Jim
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 09:14 AM
Slacks 12 months a year
TCCoAAC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOMOGO
And its EASY to make a auto car into a 5 speed car.

Jim

Sure is.But it all depends if you go hydro or cable clutch.The hydro line is getting really hard to find now days.That is why I would go cable.

Thanks,
Chris

REAL RACERS DRIVE STRAIGHT TO THE FINISH LINE, WHILE THE OTHERS DRIVE AROUND IN CIRCLES LOOKING FOR IT
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Thanks FOMOGO and AndyR.
I appreciate your info and opinions very very much.
I am really thinking about getting the 88 Turbo Coupe. I think it would be very cool to have a 4 cylinder pulling those kind of numbers. I love all things that are "odd" and people would DEFINTELY think me with a high HP 4 cylinder is very odd. lol
I mean, I would love to take it to the track we have here, and see what she could do.

Also, I have never been in a turbo car, so I want to see what everybody on here is talking about. See how much fun it is like you said.
So now, the issue is......does anybody want to buy my car?? 91 XR7 w/ 5.0L $700!!!

EDIT: While writing this, LX-Tasy responded, so I want to say thanks to you as well. BTW, the TC is only an auto. Is that really bad? Is it not worth it now?

Last edited by TwistedAngelXR7; 06-10-2005 at 09:40 AM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 09:42 AM
Slacks 12 months a year
TCCoAAC Member

The trannys were weak in the TCs, especially when you started to mod the engine.But as FOMOGO said, it is easy to swap in a 5-speed.

Good Luck,
Chris

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 10:04 AM
Koolbreeze

Send a message via AIM to AndyR
also, with the auto, depending on who you talk to...
I'm told (by FOMOGO) the auto is actually better in a turbo car, atleast for racing.
largely because you don't loose boost pressure during the shifts.
it makes sence.

I, personally, just want a 5-speed car.

She was driving the car, one thumb on the wheel; cigarette burnin, life to her was no big deal.
Her thin, white tanktop was almost see-thru; I've always been attracted to her dragon tattoo.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyR
I'm told (by FOMOGO) the auto is actually better in a turbo car, atleast for racing.
it makes sence.

So the auto is better? I read that the auto TC has 140 HP from factory, whereas if you have the 5 speed in it, the TC comes with 190 HP.

If this is true, is there a way you can improve the A4LD to make it better or at least equal to the 5 speed TC?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 10:18 AM
Slacks 12 months a year
TCCoAAC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedAngelXR7
So the auto is better? I read that the auto TC has 140 HP from factory, whereas if you have the 5 speed in it, the TC comes with 190 HP.

If this is true, is there a way you can improve the A4LD to make it better or at least equal to the 5 speed TC?

www.turbotbird.com Go to the message board

www.turboford.org Go to the TechBoard

All you will ever need to know about the TCs.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 10:25 AM
Jack of all trades, Master of none

Get the TC. Put in a front mount intercooler, port the head and intake, slap on a 65mm TB, get you a T3/T4 hybrid, run 2.5 inch exhaust and you could be smokin'.

Deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow
what you need is someone strong to guide you
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

I think I am just gonna get both the 88 TC and the 90 XR7.

I will let my dad and sister drive the XR7, and I will keep the Turbo Coupe to myself, and do it up.

That way, whenever I want to drive the XR7 Supercharged, they can just drive my Turbo Coupe. LOL. Gotta keep it in the family. I am gonna get rid of the three Cougars I have now, and the two new cars I am getting will take their place.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 04:00 PM
Sheepish

Send a message via AIM to AverageJoe Send a message via Yahoo to AverageJoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyR
it makes sence.

Launch a turbo 5speed car under boost and tell me which is faster. You can't load up the engine enough to get the turbo to boost up in a 5speed like you can an auto. Plus you'll never outshift an auto, but stock for stock, the 5speeds are stronger.

B Team - More skill, more results. A is only a starting point before progressing to B.

Member of the 'B-Team'. Finishing jobs the 'A-Team' can't handle.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 04:55 PM
Sweet T

Send a message via AIM to SanDiegoLXBird
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoe
Launch a turbo 5speed car under boost and tell me which is faster. You can't load up the engine enough to get the turbo to boost up in a 5speed like you can an auto. Plus you'll never outshift an auto, but stock for stock, the 5speeds are stronger.

Like Beau said, with the auto you can put a load on the engine before you launch so you can launch under boost. It's also half the reason that SC 5spd > Turbo 5speed. I launch under boost whether I like it or not.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 05:51 PM
Slacks 12 months a year
TCCoAAC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoe

You can boost a 5-speed from the line, its called a 2 step ignition.I had one and could get 15lbs off the line.You are right about the shifting though, can never out shift an auto.
Thanks,
Chris

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

UPDATE: Well it turns out I am only gonna be able to buy one of the cars, not both like I was hoping.

But going over everybody's posts, it is very apparant to see that I should buy the Turbo Coupe over the Supercharged XR7. There wasn't even one vote for the XR7, so the obvious winner/choice is the TC.

So, as always, I am gonna take you words for it.
Have to wait 2 weeks though, but will make another update when I get whatever car I buy home.

Thanks to everyone.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 03:50 AM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to ThomasR91169
get the TC. cars that come with turbos stock are usually so freaking easy and cheap to mod its not even funny.

i know a guy on another mustang board i visit with one. he has i believe a filter, mbc, chopped exhaust, and some crappy tubular manifold and i think hes using a starion fmic and was running low 14's with like 400 into parts.

and its called a studderbox for manuals. while you set a limit on RPM when the clutch is engaged, you are at WOT thus putting load on the turbo. though i have yet to see someone launch at full boost with a studderbox feature, you can see up to 15psi depending on your setup.

on automatics its called brakeboosting. where you hold your left foot on the brake and hit the gas, just enough to where the wheels almost want to break loose, but not too much to make them break, and the rotational mass of the torque converter will put load on the turbo and build boost that way(since you will be far under full throttle).

a manual driver can outshift a stock automatic, but build the auto and it will outshift anyone but other built autos. good thing with the auto, is it keeps the turbo spooled during shifts, thus when you shift you dont have to wait for the turbo to spool up again. this comes in handy when youre using larger turbos with more lag.

1994 Tbird 4.6l, 3 trannies later and still bone stock.
Click to See
2002 Stang GT, 5spd "Ellie", Eleanor Tribute. Stage 3 Roush Kit, Saleen S281 Spoiler, JMS / Ironman Customs CL-2 C-Pillar Panels. Black Racing stripes on Pepper Grey. Minor Bolt ons, Real mods coming soon(Procharger, VT cams/Headwork, 31spline Eaton Rear, T-56 Swap)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in