For the first time in about 7 years, no MN12 - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to BlackbirdSport
For the first time in about 7 years, no MN12

At least, not as a daily driver. There are still a few of you left here that know me and remember me, despite being quiet over the last year or two. And ya know how much Iloved and praised my 3 successive MN12s. though I still have my Cougar, the days of daily'driving them are gone.
My 96 sport ate a head gasket and found a home with a freindly mechanic, who plans a PI swap for it. As for her replacement, I went with something $4000 cheaper then the sport was, is 10 years older, with twice the miles, and I still feel I went up the latter.
I give you the 1986 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3 16v....By Cosworth;

One of 800 shipped to the states in 86, costing about $40,000 new ($65,000 in 2005 dollars).
A recent competitor and completor of the One Lap of America, this car has a racing pedigree by both model and actual car history. Mercedes 2.3 16v 190E's grabbed 50 wins in the German Touring Car Championship in the late 80s, including a drivers and constructors title. The engine they used is the engine I have....but with Different rotating assembly, cams, intake, and port. They produced 450bhp at 12,500 rpms. My road going version makes about 190bhp @ 6800 rpm. Stock it was 187 (choked down to 167 in us models). The engine is a 2.3 liter, DOHC I4 developed by Cosworth. The car itself weighs less then 3000lbs, yet is quiet and equiped with leather and more creature comfort gizmo's then the bird. This ads up to equal (if not better) acceleration then my 190rwhp, 3800 lb sport. It doesn't have the "theatrics" of the neck jerking torque, it just rolls out and puls hard from 3000 rpm to 7000. The handling (enhanced by upgraded brakes and suspension) is increadible. With 50hp less then the bird, it gets around Beaverun more the 10 seconds faster, and the bird was known for putting M3s, S2000s, and C5's in its mirrors. The car is a former world record holder for average speed sustained over 50,000km. 3 190E's averaged 148mph over 50,000 km (about a week of driving)on the oval at Nardo. This includes stops for fuel, drivers changes and tire changes.

Because of my new baby boy, I had been looking for a sporty wagon under $15k. Like a recent model WRX or V70 AWD turbo. But when this came up for sale, I had to drive it. After driving it, I had to have it. It's age and condition make it a collectors car now. In fact, a previous owner had applied for and gotten collector tags back in 98. What I hope to do with this car is nothing short of amazing...for me. I'm going to drive it....without breaking it! It's going to suit the family hauler needs for a year or two, then it gets replaced and pampered.
I'm going to do what I thought wasn't possible....I'm going to make money off a car. I KNOW! It sounds crazy, but I think Imay just get a positive return on this. It'd be nice, since I bought the bird for $9995 and sold it for $1500 3 years and 100k miles later. :p In fact, yesterday I got an offer for the car which was about a grand more then I paid...but oh no, not so soon.

"Keep making it thinner until it breaks, then go one size bigger."
My Cougar XR7

Last edited by BlackbirdSport; 10-11-2005 at 09:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 01:44 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Midnight
Nice car but I would have said sold!

Sprtnlax14: i was was up at 4:30 to hunt
LtlLinds424: you did NOT just say hunt
Sprtnlax14: whatever, the day you become a vegan we'll talk
LtlLinds424: the day that you stop only spitting game and not producing girls in your bed... we'll talk

My Dragons
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 08:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
ha, bud you got some good mileage out of that bird.

Jeez, remember racing that dude with the comptech blown integra out in yuppieville aka easton?

The benz is super super nice man, one of these years i'll stop by to say hi and meetup with the local ohio boys.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to BlackbirdSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinH

Jeez, remember racing that dude with the comptech blown integra out in yuppieville aka easton?
Umm...no, you'll have to be more specific. :p Atualy I beleive I do remember those guys, that was you with me? Lots of years and lots of memories in that car....literaly hundreds of races.

"Keep making it thinner until it breaks, then go one size bigger."
My Cougar XR7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in