Anybody work at Best Buy/ Cicuit city/ etc? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Anybody work at Best Buy/ Cicuit city/ etc?

what's the sercet to getting hired part time by them....

i hate online applications, so impersonal, and i can't stand all the 'pscho analysis' bs questions they ask. i've filled out a few applications over the last few years and never hear from either of them, can't think of any reasons why they should not hire me, so what's the deal?

I've also tried to talk to few people (both floor managers and associates) at the stores and always get the bs about how you have to go apply on online, etc.

so anybody got any tips/tricks/who should i ask for at a store that actually can help me?

thanks guys!

All MN12/FN10 PA/NJ/MD/DE/NY people please check out: TSTaCC, feel free to register & say hi

'Krissy' 1997 Thunderbird LX Sport 281ci
Custom doesn't come in a Box
Slide or Die
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 10:00 AM
Resident redneck

Send a message via AIM to redneckcougarguy Send a message via MSN to redneckcougarguy
the psycho-analysis questions are what ****ed me over when i applied at both places.

-Steven

Project Rust Prevention: 1990 Buick Regal, Toilet Capacity engine, new trim paint, 57K miles
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

also, i'm looking for something that's M-R, 6pm-12am, atleast $10/hr , so it doesn't have to be CC/BB, so if you guys know of any other decent places to work for, i'd appreachaite it. I've worked for Gap in the past and liked it, but kinda looking for a little something diffferent.

redneckcougarguy ~ i don't mind the thsoe questions, i jsut find them pointless and mind numbing, i understand why they do it, they must get a lot of applications, what bothers me is i'm a hard worker, good at customer service activities, can't get an interview, and there's people that work there that imo shouldn't.

All MN12/FN10 PA/NJ/MD/DE/NY people please check out: TSTaCC, feel free to register & say hi

Slide or Die
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 01:15 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaso12
also, i'm looking for something that's M-R, 6pm-12am, atleast $10/hr , so it doesn't have to be CC/BB, so if you guys know of any other decent places to work for, i'd appreachaite it...
Try some of your local supermarkets. The smaller union chains usually pay more. The meat departments are usually the highest paying dept. in the store. I'm a meat clerk and its hard work (they tell us we're the busiest full service meat dept in nor-cal) but its good money.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 04:48 PM
1st Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to itsthekavorka
I'm an installer over at BBY. Yes the online app is a a bit pointless and impersonal, but the key is take your time and give answers that you know they want to hear. After that wait a day and go down in person and ask to speak to the general manager and if not available, the sales manager. Dont call on the phone as you will have little luck getting to where you have to go. They are going crazy right nowin time for the holidays.. for people wanting part time and with your availability...sales associates make in the ballpark of 10dollars an hour but thats here in the ny it does vary geographically. Best of luck and let me know if you need anything i'd be glad to help..
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 08:12 PM
PostWhore

Other factors come into play when you apply for a seasonal retail position. Some companies check the credit score. Too low of a credit score to them means the applicant is more likely to steal. Criminal background is also checked to make sure the applicant has no felonies.
Other than that, you do have to be persistent. I make all my walk-ins watch a 10 minute video. Half of them walk out of the store before the clip is over. That simply tells me that they are not serious about the position.
So you will have to put up with the preliminary application crap. You may even have to go through more than one interview to get a position.
Also, a lot of seasonal employees end up staying past the holidays. So the application process is very similar to a full/part time non temporary employment.

Jim

Slightly Jerryfied...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

thanks for the feedback guys!

i'm used to all the 'preliminary stuff', no prob with criminal or credit background...other then being 21 and not really having any credit

the only thing i think could really trip me up is my 'home' address which is about 70-80 miles from where i want to find a 2nd job. by 'home' i mean my parents house in NJ. whereas where i work is about 20 miles from philly, where i live/ go to school. i'm sure there amazing computer will tell them the distance from my home to their store

looks like i'm gonna have to go hunt me down some managers come monday at lunch time.

Slide or Die
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 09:44 PM
PostWhore

Bad credit is worse than no credit. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Jim

Slightly Jerryfied...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2005, 12:40 AM
The Band, not the Disease!

Send a message via AIM to AnthraxBird
It's the other way around, No credit is WORSE than bad credit.

1997 Mark VIII LSC - Toreador Red
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2005, 12:46 AM
PostWhore

You may be right,

here's an example that I went by: An 18 year old kid who wants a cell phone plan with no credit will be required to put down a $125 deposit. An 18 year old kid who wants a cell phone plan with an account in collections will be required to put down a $250 deposit.

Jim

Slightly Jerryfied...
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2005, 12:59 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Juice Send a message via MSN to Juice Send a message via Yahoo to Juice
I work at Circuit City and I got the job there by bugging them........

I turned in an online ap, then went in to the store every day for 3 weeks until they hired me.

You have to bug people to get anything done... I've bugged them so much that I've gotten 3 raises and made the head of the home audio department in under 6 months.

~Chuck

I put the sexy in dyslexia.
Chaos Journey
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 08:51 AM
5th Gear Poster

yo i work as a stereo installer at circuit city in northern indiana and you gotta go thru the online app. its alot of "if sum1 stole some gum woudl you tell" kinda stuff. pass the psych test and your app goes to the store and you get an interview. fail and we never know about it. oh and seasonal ppl start out at 6.50 at my store and regular is 8 so it def. varies from store to store. i also had to bug the crap outta my friends to finally get me that 2nd interview 2 years ago when i started working there. great place to work but unless you work your way up then your gonna be making less than you want too. i figure do little work on something i enjoy and get paid a lil less or do alot of work at something i hate and get paid more. good luck

2 12" MTX 9500 subs
infinity 7541a amplifier - infinity 1211a amplifier
alpine tv molded in dash - alpine cda9827
infinity kappa components 5x7
reverseglow guages
clear corners
shaved trunk lid (no key hole)
fiberglass box for 2 12's
python 881xp alarm/remote start
need alpine or infinity products???? pm me for what you need.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in