Looking for a good deal on a plasma or LCD tv! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Looking for a good deal on a plasma or LCD tv!

Anyone know of any good deals out lately? I've been watching slickdeals and fatwallet like a hawk, as well as Sam's and Costco. Need to buy one fast since my current one broke.

Need a reputable brand (Hitachi, Sony, Pioneer, etc.) and preferably more than 30 inches (37 or 42)...

Oh yea, must be HD and have DVI inputs (HDMI would be a plus)...

Looking for another MN12 for a new project!
1997 Thunderbird Sport SOLD! :-(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 05:13 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Juice Send a message via MSN to Juice Send a message via Yahoo to Juice
Wait until the new ones come out in late November/early December. When that happens all of the prices are supposed to drop radically!

But don't tell anyone I told you because the public isn't suppost to know yet.

~Chuck

EDIT: Oh and Sony is not making plasmas any more after this model year. I'd go with a Pioneer Elite or a Hitachi Ultravision if I were to go plasma. If I were to get an LCD I'd get a Sony.

I put the sexy in dyslexia.
Chaos Journey
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 05:42 PM
Like Titles Matter

If you really want HD, you're going to need to look at DLP or CRT. All my off-air and satellite HD signal here is 1080i. There's not a single plasma set that can do that resolution. There finally are a very few LCDs that will, but you won't like the price. Yes, I know most all of them advertise they can do 1080i, look at the native resolution of the panel though, if it isn't 1920x1080, they are downconverting, so it isn't an HD set, it's ED.

I'd bet 99% of the people who think they are watching HD in fact are downconverting the signal since the sets they have simply don't support the proper resolution. Hell some people actually think the lousy 480p from a progressive scan DVD is HD or a least a good looking picture. Clearly, they've never seen a proper HD broadcast on a set that can actually display it.

Other things to consider, if you want to record anything in HD, that's somewhat of a problem now. There are some machines that use VHS tapes to do it, and even some camcorders that do HD on a mini DV tape, but no DVD solution, and there won't be until blu-ray arrives.

1996 Thunderbird LX- [email protected] NA
1998 GT - [email protected]
2001 Lightning - [email protected]
1996 GT 248A - [email protected]?
2011 GT - [email protected] 180 MPH at the Texas Mile

generated by sloganizer.net
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdanner
If you really want HD, you're going to need to look at DLP or CRT. All my off-air and satellite HD signal here is 1080i. There's not a single plasma set that can do that resolution. There finally are a very few LCDs that will, but you won't like the price. Yes, I know most all of them advertise they can do 1080i, look at the native resolution of the panel though, if it isn't 1920x1080, they are downconverting, so it isn't an HD set, it's ED.

I'd bet 99% of the people who think they are watching HD in fact are downconverting the signal since the sets they have simply don't support the proper resolution. Hell some people actually think the lousy 480p from a progressive scan DVD is HD or a least a good looking picture. Clearly, they've never seen a proper HD broadcast on a set that can actually display it.

Other things to consider, if you want to record anything in HD, that's somewhat of a problem now. There are some machines that use VHS tapes to do it, and even some camcorders that do HD on a mini DV tape, but no DVD solution, and there won't be until blu-ray arrives.

I realize this and again, like you said, there are a couple of ones out there that support 1920x1080. The new Sharp Aquos series all support that resolution but they are still pretty steep at around $5k+ for a 45 incher.

So what is the real difference from those plasmas advertised as "HDTV" versus those marked as "EDTV?" To my naked eye (and I qualify this because I haven't researched TVs much lately) there does seem to be a difference. I've spotted a couple of Fujitsu-Eclipse and Pioneer Elite models that definite look sharper than, say, a Philips.

BTW, EDTV's are going for cheap! I've seen Sony 42 inch ones go for as low as $1200.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 10:17 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Juice Send a message via MSN to Juice Send a message via Yahoo to Juice
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntaxx
I realize this and again, like you said, there are a couple of ones out there that support 1920x1080. The new Sharp Aquos series all support that resolution but they are still pretty steep at around $5k+ for a 45 incher.

So what is the real difference from those plasmas advertised as "HDTV" versus those marked as "EDTV?" To my naked eye (and I qualify this because I haven't researched TVs much lately) there does seem to be a difference. I've spotted a couple of Fujitsu-Eclipse and Pioneer Elite models that definite look sharper than, say, a Philips.

BTW, EDTV's are going for cheap! I've seen Sony 42 inch ones go for as low as $1200.
Standard definition = 480i resolution
Enhanced definition (EDTV) = 480p resolution (DVD quality)
High definition (HDTV) = 720p, 1080i, and now 1080p resolution.

EDTV is going to have more of a "screen door" effect than the HDTV, meaning you will be able to see the pixels more clearly.

The reason the Sony's are so cheap is because they are OOP or Out Of Program. Like I said, Sony is not going to be making plasmas anymore for the time being so they are clearing what they have left out.

~Chuck

Chaos Journey
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 10:50 PM
Like Titles Matter

To me, the difference is very noticeable.

And yes, although 720p is considered an HD mode, and sets with 720 lines of vertical resolution are certainly lower cost and more common, in my experience there are no or almost no broadcasts in 720p. Then there's the whole 1080p which seems to be the lastest thing for manufacturers to brag about, there are no broadcasts in that mode whatsoever. I just take the attitude if you're going to spend the extra for a so called HD set, get one that actually does HD. I don't know if you'd consider a direct view CRT or not, but the Sony XBR sets have the best HD picture I've ever seen. Downsides are the largest 16:9 is 34", they take up more space depthwise, and they weigh about 200lbs. I also wouldn't buy a set today without an integrated ATSC tuner since the absolute best looking signal you're going to get is going to be from an off-air antenna. It was a hassle, but I managed to install an antenna with a 10' boom length inside my attic and it works really well without cluttering up the roof. Everything comes in including 4 glorious subchannels of PBS! LOL
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
To me, the difference is very noticeable.

And yes, although 720p is considered an HD mode, and sets with 720 lines of vertical resolution are certainly lower cost and more common, in my experience there are no or almost no broadcasts in 720p. Then there's the whole 1080p which seems to be the lastest thing for manufacturers to brag about, there are no broadcasts in that mode whatsoever. I just take the attitude if you're going to spend the extra for a so called HD set, get one that actually does HD. I don't know if you'd consider a direct view CRT or not, but the Sony XBR sets have the best HD picture I've ever seen. Downsides are the largest 16:9 is 34", they take up more space depthwise, and they weigh about 200lbs. I also wouldn't buy a set today without an integrated ATSC tuner since the absolute best looking signal you're going to get is going to be from an off-air antenna. It was a hassle, but I managed to install an antenna with a 10' boom length inside my attic and it works really well without cluttering up the roof. Everything comes in including 4 glorious subchannels of PBS! LOL

The one reason I will most likely purchase a flat panel TV versus a CRT is due to space. I'll most likely be living in a sub-1700 sq. ft. apartment for the next couple of years and a big screen TV is just too cumbersome. Plus, I'll be moving around a lot and the thought of lugging one up and down stairs over and over just doesn't make it worth the extra picture quality right now.

So is EDTV a viable option over an HD unit that won't support 1080i anyway? I guess I need to get out there and take a gander out these ED units and decide. Again, my college-student budget allows for something south of $1,500 or so for the time being.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 03:47 PM
Like Titles Matter

I think its viable. I really consider them to be one and the same anyway.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 04:01 PM
CEO Red Sox Nation

Quote:
I'll most likely be living in a sub-1700 sq. ft. apartment for the next couple of years and a big screen TV is just too cumbersome.

Without going too off base, DAMN, 1700 sq feet is huge, for a smalll apt. Mine here is 1050, and that's really big for an apt in Boston...at any rate let us know what you buy...

Dave

2003 Infiniti G35 Sport Package with Navigation

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 04:31 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
The one reason I will most likely purchase a flat panel TV versus a CRT is due to space. I'll most likely be living in a sub-1700 sq. ft. apartment for the next couple of years and a big screen TV is just too cumbersome. Plus, I'll be moving around a lot and the thought of lugging one up and down stairs over and over just doesn't make it worth the extra picture quality right now.

So is EDTV a viable option over an HD unit that won't support 1080i anyway? I guess I need to get out there and take a gander out these ED units and decide. Again, my college-student budget allows for something south of $1,500 or so for the time being.

Unless you are hell bent on having HD, EDTV is a sufficient option.

For your budget I would steer away from a flat panel because they are considerably more expensive for their screen size than other sets.

You might want to look at LCD projection if you are worried about the weight. The new Sony 42" only wieghs about 45 pounds and is pretty skinny (15" deep or so). They are light enough that I lifted a 61" Panasonic up onto its stand when I had it in my sound room. The only thing is that most of the LCD projections start in the $2k range but a lot of stores (like mine) offer no interest financing so it makes it a bit easier to get what you want.

As for the 1080p, even though there are no 1080p broadcasts, it still makes the picture look better. We have a Sony 50 1080p right next to a Samsung DLP 1080i and the Sony looks better even though they are getting the same video feed.

~Chuck

Chaos Journey
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 04:43 PM
Boom.

1700 ft^2 is big for an apartment.

TCCoABAMFC - Founding Member
Official Member of the TCCoA Evil Underground Moderator Conspiracy
TCCoA Gun Club

2003 Mach 1 - 4.6L DOHC V8/4R70W

1995 Cougar XR7 - PI 4.6L SOHC V8
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 06:35 PM
4th Gear Poster

I almost bit on an EDTV for a very very good price, but I decided to wait. The best time to buy is always January when the electronic stores are looking to move them for the SuperBowl. I bet there would be some good financing promotions too. Either way, I'm betting you'll be able to buy a lot more set for $1500 in just several weeks.

Kris there are a few noticeable broadcasts in 720p here (ESPN, ABC, FOX). Infact ESPN boasts they chose 720p because the "industry standard" is "progressive scan." In other words, more uninformed people just like the progressive scan term and probably get scared and associate anything "interlaced" with a standard television.

I did watch a great deal of the Pistons in the finals on a 720p CRT set, and it looked flawless and crisp. You also have to consider what other components you're going to add in the future. A HD Tivo, game system...

If my TV went out today, I'd just run out and pick up a cheap 32" 480i CRT since they're what, $300 now? Of course I'd want an HD set, but I think theres a lot to benefit from in waiting a couple of months.

Quote:

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 07:15 PM
Johnny Five is Alive
TCCoAAC Member

Send a message via AIM to WkStill Send a message via Yahoo to WkStill
Quote:
If you really want HD, you're going to need to look at DLP or CRT. All my off-air and satellite HD signal here is 1080i.There's not a single plasma set that can do that resolution.
Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK

• Up to 3,000:1 contrast ratio - Real Black Drive System and Deep Black Filter provide deeper, richer blacks and enhances image clarity and realism
• Up to 2,048 shades of gradation (4,096 shades via HDMI or DVI connection) - New Advanced Real Gamma System and up to 14-bit signal processing provide superior performance at brightness levels where the human eye sees best
• Full time 3.62 billion (maximum 8.52 billion) displayable colors
• Up to 15% brighter images - Multi-Facet Asymmetrical Configuration Hyper-Pixel (MACH) Panel features bounded cell structure, new phosphor material, and optimized gas composition ratio to improve light-emitting efficiency and intensity
• Up to 60,000-hour panel life - MACH Panel boasts a long service life of 60,000 hours
• 1,024 x 768 resolution
1080/60i, 1080/50i, 1080/24p, 1080/24sf, 1080/25p, 1080/30p, 720/60p, 720/50p, 480/60p, 480/60i signal compatibility
• VGA, SVGA, XGA, SXGA, UXGA (compressed) PC signal compatibility
• 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio
• Over 160 degree viewing angle
• Flexible A/V and IT system configurations - composite, component, RCA, BNC, PC, RGB, SDI, HD-SDI, HDMI, DVI-D w/HDCP, Twisted-Pair Cable, and IEEE 802.11b terminal boards available
• Adaptive Gain Control - raises contrast while suppressing noise by detecting and boosting only the image edges, resulting in high contrast and high signal/noise ratio
• Motion Picture Noise Disturbance Reduction - detects motion patterns that tend to generate noise and makes adjustments to maximize image quality without diminishing the quality of stationary background objects
• 3D Color Management System - reproduces vibrant colors and natural skin tones
• Active Interlace/Progressive Conversion System - reduces interlace to progressive conversion noise that often occurs when reproducing tiny movements, resulting in better vertical resolution
• New Advanced Dual Picture Mode - simultaneously display images from two different sources in Picture And Picture, Picture Out Picture, Picture In Picture, and Video Over PC modes
• 4x Digital Zoom - divide the screen into zones and enlarge images up to 400%
• Built-In Video Wall Processor - set up 2x2, 3x3, or even 4x4 multi-screen plasma walls
• New Remote System Monitoring Command - displays status via RS-232C
• Enhanced Screen Saver Functions - White Bar Scroll, Screen Reversal, Side Panel Adjustment, Wobbling, Peak Limit Mode
• Newly developed phosphor boosts resistance to static-image burning to the same level as CRT displays
• Energy-Saving Functions - Display Power Management Signaling, Auto Power Off, Power Save Mode, Standby Power Save Mode
• New IR Remote Control features direct input select buttons, a Power Off button, and ID control of multi-screen systems
• New bottom-mounted button controls
• Fanless quiet operation
• Host of stands and mounting options available
• Networked MPEG-2 player available
• Plug-in computers available

-------------

Average Price $2000.00

-------------

However, I would go with a DLP Projector :-)

1984 Merc Cougar
5.0L, GT40X HEADS, E303 CAM,X303 Valvetrain
1998 4R70W Controlled by Baumannator TCS., 3.73 Track Lock Rear., Bauman Lev 3 Shift Kit.
190LPH, 67mm EGR, 65mm TB, 73mm C&L MAF, 24lb/h Inj, TwEECer RT, A3M EEC-IV
TCCoA-AHole Crew 2004
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own. They are not meant to start a flame war or discourage people. Just my honest opinion and nothing more
Just great, 4 mores years of GOP crap, Im republican, and I endorse this message
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 07:21 PM
Johnny Five is Alive
TCCoAAC Member

Send a message via AIM to WkStill Send a message via Yahoo to WkStill
But I would DO this!!! (Much cooler and has a More "Wow" Effect

Infocuse LP120 DLP Projector (Or Simular) ~ $1500.00

I have a Viewsonic DLP, and WILL NEVER EVER Go back to Tube/Plasma.. The Theatrical Feel just kicks Butt! And the SCREEN is WAY WAY WAY Bigger then 42"

1984 Merc Cougar
5.0L, GT40X HEADS, E303 CAM,X303 Valvetrain
1998 4R70W Controlled by Baumannator TCS., 3.73 Track Lock Rear., Bauman Lev 3 Shift Kit.
190LPH, 67mm EGR, 65mm TB, 73mm C&L MAF, 24lb/h Inj, TwEECer RT, A3M EEC-IV
TCCoA-AHole Crew 2004
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own. They are not meant to start a flame war or discourage people. Just my honest opinion and nothing more
Just great, 4 mores years of GOP crap, Im republican, and I endorse this message
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 07:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
I'm downright impressed with this philips 30'' widescreen hd crt i have here. Put something in 1080i from the digital cable box, it impresses me.

This is a 500 dollar tv set, I bought on ebay refurbished. I actually got two for one, but thats another story.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 08:11 PM
Like Titles Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WkStill
Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK

{snip}

• 1,024 x 768 resolution

{snip}

You highlighted the wrong line. No native 1080i here, downconverting, just like every other plasma set.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcBrideBoston
Without going too off base, DAMN, 1700 sq feet is huge, for a smalll apt. Mine here is 1050, and that's really big for an apt in Boston...at any rate let us know what you buy...

Dave
Well, Boston's a lot different than West Lafayette, IN. My apartment right now is roughly 1,100 sq. feet and it's a one bedroom on campus above a bagel shop. Prime location! Depending on where I end up working, I won't want to downgrade too much.

I'm strongly considering an EDTV now. One of my thoughts is that if I decide to invest in a better TV later, I can always chuck the ED in the bedroom.

So what are some good deals on the Sony units that are going to be discontinued? I know Sony is a reputable brand but what are their reasons for stopping production? No quality issues I hope?

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 11:11 PM
Like Titles Matter

I think the getting something better later and moving it to the bedroom would be a good call in the current climate.

Dave, you need to get out of Boston sometime and see what it's like to have some breathing room. I have 1520 sq feet of garage space, LOL.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
I think the getting something better later and moving it to the bedroom would be a good call in the current climate.

Dave, you need to get out of Boston sometime and see what it's like to have some breathing room. I have 1520 sq feet of garage space, LOL.

It looks like I'm going to snag one of these Sony units since they are being marked down with the current situation. Any insight as to why they are discontinuing their line-up? Any recommendations on which TV and any good sources?

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 02:44 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
It looks like I'm going to snag one of these Sony units since they are being marked down with the current situation. Any insight as to why they are discontinuing their line-up? Any recommendations on which TV and any good sources?

Sony says they are discontinuing their plasmas because they want to focus on their LCD's and LCD projections. Who knows though.

Even though I love Sony to death for their tv's (I have 5 of them ) getting parts for them can sometimes be kind of difficult and expensive if a problem arises. AND, now that they are dropping their plasmas, I bet they are going to jack up their prices for parts, especially since most of the time you can only get them through Sony.

Wow they aren't even on our website anymore, I was going to post a link to them... You better grab one fast if you want one!

~Chuck

Chaos Journey
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliHwyPatrol
Sony says they are discontinuing their plasmas because they want to focus on their LCD's and LCD projections. Who knows though.

Even though I love Sony to death for their tv's (I have 5 of them ) getting parts for them can sometimes be kind of difficult and expensive if a problem arises. AND, now that they are dropping their plasmas, I bet they are going to jack up their prices for parts, especially since most of the time you can only get them through Sony.

Wow they aren't even on our website anymore, I was going to post a link to them... You better grab one fast if you want one!

~Chuck

Parts I'm not too worried about. Since the deals are pretty hot, I'll probably go ahead and purchase an extended warranty through whichever vendor I end up choosing. I was just concerned with their overall quality....

Do EDTV's only come in 480p? Any of them support 780i/p?

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 07:08 PM
4th Gear Poster

Come in 480p only. Some will not support a 1080/720 signal, it depends on the internals as you might need a cable card/STB.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 02:24 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
Come in 480p only. Some will not support a 1080/720 signal, it depends on the internals as you might need a cable card/STB.
Yeh, EDTV is 480p only, but I still think that is sufficient.

I think cable cards were rushed to the market
Sure, they are convenient because you eliminate a box, but you lose such features as video on demand and other company exclusive features. Many of the cable companies don't like them because they make most of their money from VOD and the like.

If you are going to get the warranty I'd hop on one of those Sony 42's then. They are a pretty slick looking set and I wouldn't mind having one in my house!

~Chuck

Chaos Journey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in