cell phone plans? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
cell phone plans?

Hey guys,

anybody know of any good cell phone plans?

Here's what i'm looking for..

About 400 minutes per month, about 500 text messages per month, free phone, and a one year contract, i want to pay about 39 bucks a month plus taxes.

Right now i have tmobile, and the coverage here is less than stellar, i'm out of contract with them..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 10:46 AM
PostWhore

I switched to Cingular (GSM) for better coverage than T-Mobile...

Can't help with the plan since I went Family. So far Cingular's CS has been a little better than T-Mobile too, fewer apologies per phone call.

Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are:
You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 06:44 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ThunderBeast86
Im pretty sure T-mobile and Cingular are on the GSM network....
which is why you can interchange phones using the SIM card.

2.25" True Dual Catless DI/DO Magnaflow Exhaust, Eibach Springs, Addco 1 3/8", J-mod, Viper 791 Alarm, Clarion 855 full color touch-screen, Directed 2400 amp , 2 12" CV Strokers with a custom ported box, K&N air filter, 180* T-Stat, Xcal2 SCT TUNED BY LONNIE 17 x 7.5 (245/45/17) Chrome Cobra R's, 17x9 in back(275/40/17)
DOHC sitting in the garage
Teksid 2v plans?!?!
Tranny Cooler, Dual Remote Oil Filter waiting for install
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 07:40 PM
TCCoAAC Member
%n haters club

Send a message via AIM to Deus003 Send a message via Yahoo to Deus003
GSM is GSM. If you have issues with coverage, check your phone. Upgrade your phone, or get a buddy to try a different phone in the same area. What kind of phone do you have now?? Stick with GSM, as I believe CDMA is heading the way of the dinosaur.....

--Craig

I like my coffee black, like I like my metal.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 10:10 AM
PostWhore

Sorry to jack the thread Justin but..... and I know you know this but others may not.

There is no "the GSM network", GSM is a transmission standard (like FM) that Cingular and T-Mobile use on their networks (as do most of the rest of the world) but they maintain seperate networks and have built (or acquired) them differently in different areas so GSM coverage is very different in different regions of the country. Cingular is still in the process of converting their network from TDMA to GSM and even after acquiring the AT&T GSM net their coverage area for GSM is changing daily. Since there's no such thing as roaming fees anymore there's little difference in theory but I had nothing but trouble trying to roam on the AT&T (now part of Cingular net) with a T-Mobile phone. Anyone looking at these two should check their "normal" calling area and see which has the best coverage where they go, in fact check any provider that's an option if coverage matters to you at all. I suggest getting a prepaid phone from them and using it for a month or two before signing on the line, cheap to obtain and easy to ditch if you don't like them.

As to interchanging phones you want to be careful advising people that they can do this since most US providers (including the GSM ones) still "lock" their phones to their network. You can't switch the SIM to another phone unless the other phone is "unlocked" from it's orginal network. Most people don't know this and many have bought an (expensive?) eBay phone only to find out it's locked to the other guys' net, won't accept their SIM, and the providers won't give them an unlock code because they aren't customers. Then it costs them more money and/or time to get it unlocked.

And then there are the CDMA providers........ I think Craig is right about the dinosaur thing but the "battle" is far from over. If a CDMA provider (Sprint and Verizon are the biggies) offers the best plan and coverage for you right now and you can live with the voice quality go for it. They won't be shutting down before you're ready for a new phone or plan.

Now back to the originally scheduled thread....

Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are:
You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in