Engineers in Here - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to whitecoug
Engineers in Here

I know there's a few engineers here so I thought I would throw this out there. Mechanics of materials class, having a heck of a time on this problem.

A 1 in diameter steel (E=30,000 ksi and v=0.30 (Poison's ratio)) bar (rod) is subjected to a tensile load P and a torque T. Determine the axial load P and the Torque T if the strains indicated by gauges a and b on the bar are Ea=+1084 micro and Eb=-754 micro

The pic is a shaft laying horizontal with the strain gauges aligned (a) 45 degrees ccw from the horizontal axis (x) and (b) 45 degrees cw from the horizontal axis (still x). The axial load P is a tension and the torque is up on the right end and down on the left end (give an idea of the shearing stress) There is no gauge in the x direction.

The final answers are supposed to be P=11.11 kip and T=4.16 in kip

Just a start or how to set up would be very helpful, and if anyone happens to be in this class with the same book (Mechanics of Materials, Riley, Sturges, and Morris) it's ch. 6-103

TIA

Joe

1994 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L Special Edition

PnP'd NPIs, PI Cams, PI intake, 80mm GT MAF, 24# Injectors, Shorty Headers, SCT Tuned, Jmod, Trans Cooler, 3.73's, Underdrives, Zex Dry kit 75 shot, Dirtydog TC, Trans built by Darrin, 97 Cupholders

219 RWHP/256 RWTQ NA
280 RWHP/343 RWTQ Bottle Fed (75 shot)
[email protected] mph 5/20/06

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 11:09 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to SVT2888
Say what? Is that the stuff I'm gonna need to solve once I start taking ME classes?

Mods: Concrete Median
CNCpics.com-Automotive Event Photography
Facebook
Ebay Store
Official B-team member. Viva La Revolucion!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 02:44 AM
Boom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT2888
Say what? Is that the stuff I'm gonna need to solve once I start taking ME classes?
Yeah, solid mechanics (or mechanics of materials, same thing) is a second or third year ME course.

As far as the problem is concerned...way too complicated for me at this hour...I'll take a look at it tomorrow though. Just one little thing to split hairs on, the units of the torque should be kip-ft (or kip-in or lb-ft or something), not just kip.

TCCoABAMFC - Founding Member
Official Member of the TCCoA Evil Underground Moderator Conspiracy
TCCoA Gun Club

2003 Mach 1 - 4.6L DOHC V8/4R70W

1995 Cougar XR7 - PI 4.6L SOHC V8

Last edited by Palmguy; 10-25-2005 at 02:54 AM.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 06:23 AM
2nd Gear Poster

[QUOTE=Palmguy]Yeah, solid mechanics (or mechanics of materials, same thing) is a second or third year ME course.

This also sounds like a strength of materials class early in a civil engineering program.

I've done problems like this before, but it has been about 4 years since then. It would take a while for me to figure out. Hopefully, someone else will help you out before I'm able to get to it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 06:26 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Lordy that brings back BAD memories!!!

The very first "ME question" I got in Physics class was something like this:

You have a 6' x 6' x 6' solid block of reinforced concrete, with 1/2" rebar on a 1 foot three dimensional grid. If you apply 100 tons psi to the top of the block, what will the temperature increase be of a 1" cube in the middle of the block?

It then went on to give all the pertinent information of all the materials. Like it friggin mattered!!!

But I guess it does matter to people building bridges. (And by the end of the quarter, we had solved that problem)

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 06:43 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Can you scan in the figure for the problem? Or snap a digital pic of it...you're description of the setup ain't getting it with me. I'm visual.

Mike

- DOHC 4.6
- 4.56 Trac-Loc
- DirtyDog Converter (3,800)
- SCT Micro Tuner from Blue Oval Chips
- 13.24 @ 103mph

ToombsRacing.com
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to whitecoug
Can't post pics, but I'll try to describe it a little better.

Imagine the rod being held in your hands, one cut end in the right hand and the other in the left. The x axis goes from your left to right hand. The strain gauges so that normally they would be parallel with the x axis, on the axis. Now simply rotate the gauges a ccw from the axis 45 degrees and b cw from the axis 45 degrees.

Hope this helps a little more. If I get time I will try to post a rough sketch later on today if I don't get it figured out.

Joe

1994 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L Special Edition

PnP'd NPIs, PI Cams, PI intake, 80mm GT MAF, 24# Injectors, Shorty Headers, SCT Tuned, Jmod, Trans Cooler, 3.73's, Underdrives, Zex Dry kit 75 shot, Dirtydog TC, Trans built by Darrin, 97 Cupholders

219 RWHP/256 RWTQ NA
280 RWHP/343 RWTQ Bottle Fed (75 shot)
[email protected] mph 5/20/06

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 10:09 AM
Boom.

[QUOTE=Bull]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmguy
Yeah, solid mechanics (or mechanics of materials, same thing) is a second or third year ME course.

This also sounds like a strength of materials class early in a civil engineering program.
Yeah, it is...at my school for the Mech/Aero dept it is called solid mechanics, and for civil it is mechanics of materials and has a different course number, but the course curriculum and instructor are the same. When I had the class I was actually in a study group of all civil majors.

TCCoABAMFC - Founding Member
Official Member of the TCCoA Evil Underground Moderator Conspiracy
TCCoA Gun Club

2003 Mach 1 - 4.6L DOHC V8/4R70W

1995 Cougar XR7 - PI 4.6L SOHC V8
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 03:11 PM
5th Gear Poster

I took that class. You still use some of that in Computer Aided Machine Design (Finite Element Analysis Class). I'll be a senior after this semester.

As far as the question goes, scan it and it would probably make a lot more sense

DD: MG 03 Cobra, 21psi M122 (GT500) blower swap

99 GT Auto Roller for sale 10 pt Wolfe Racecraft cage, 16gal fuel cell, 90% of interior, just needs rear seat delete, rolls on stock suspension except tubular k & MM C&C plates $3500

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in