Nextel Cell phones (rant) - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Stroked and Blown

Send a message via AIM to BlakTbird96
Angry Nextel Cell phones (rant)

Hey everyone. i wanted to get some of your opinions but first, let me rant this off of my chest. Are the engineers at Nextel friggin retarded or something? Here's the story. For some reason, whenever I send a text message to one of my friends who has a verizon, they recieve my text right away. When they send me a text message back, it takes anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour to come through. This really sucks when 90% of the people I text message have verizons. thats not all though, there are other things that piss me off. Whenever I download a music ringtone and my phone rings, only "part" of the song plays repeatedly, whereas other cell phone companies play the entire song until you answer it. Another thing is the camera phone. Nextel firts shyed away from the camera phone while all of the other companies were engineering it. Now, Verizon, Cingular all have camera phones for reasonably prices. Nextel finally came out with the camera phone and they want an arm and a leg for it. Anyways, do any of you have this problem with nextel? Tomorrow, after class, I'm going to Verizon to check out there different plans and I'm probably going to switch. i have stood by Nextel for 3 years and they still suck so f*** them!

If any of you work for Nextel, your phone company is incompetent!

Okay all, I'm gonna cool off now but I needed to rant. I will switch to verizon now, probably. let me know what all problems you all have with nextel so I dont feel left out.

My other home:
Mid-AtlanticMN12's

'96 Ford Tbird 3.8 SC
'06 Chrysler Sebring "Vert 2.7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 02:22 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

ever since they merged with that craphole sprint its gone downhill. im considering switching to verizon too, im in need of a wireless internet connection and they seem to be the only one with anything that works.

CMP Drag Racing
best ET: 12.410 -- best MPH: 107.61
NMRA MM7270 -- NMCA EFI/? ????
Thank you to the CMP Drag Racing team: Tony, Doug, Maryann, Dale, Paul and Chris.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 02:29 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Can't any cell phone be used with any wireless provider? You just have to register it with them? (Yes, I don't know jack about cell phones...)

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 02:37 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

No, not all cell phones can be used with other providers. Between TDMA, CDMA, GSM, 850/1900 GSM and 900/1800 GSM, 2G, 3G (some of those are technologies of others, like GSM uses TDMA, rtc) then phones locked to providers.

GENERALLY if you get an unlocked GSM phone and the SIM isn't locked, and it is a tri or quad mode phone or one that matches the US standard you can use it.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 03:55 PM
Whining Intakes Rock

It took me a week when I got my Nextel phone for those people to get my phone setup right. The wonderful CSRs are about as useless as gum plugging a hole in a gas tank. I finally got transfered so many times and hung up on that I *****ed loudly and got sent straight to the people with half a brain and got the phone setup right.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/ I like intakes that whine \_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_

# SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;
# 0 rows returned
# drop table users;_
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 03:58 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to pnyklr Send a message via Yahoo to pnyklr
nextel sucks it works in my girlfriends house only outside the house

once you go out of the driveway it doesnt work for 5 miles in either direction

Chris
87 GN,94 Prizm,05 Suburban Z71
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 04:01 PM
PostSlut

Cingular > Nextel

nuff said

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 04:33 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by _95badbird
Cingular > Nextel

nuff said

id rather have 2 cups and string than cingular.

CMP Drag Racing
Thank you to the CMP Drag Racing team: Tony, Doug, Maryann, Dale, Paul and Chris.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 04:38 PM
PostSlut

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicRattlehead
I have had Houston Cellular(which was bought out by Cingullar), Nextel, Sprint, and Prime Co.

Cingular has been the best by far.

Nextel is a hit and miss.

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 07:47 PM
likes chocolate

Nextel service is very good (for me atleast), but there phones are junk. In the past year I have gone through five i530's, everyone was defective, and the one I have now freezes up all the time, Ive only had it for about a month.

-02 Mustang GT 5pd.
-1996 Thunderbird Sport
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 07:52 PM
Who is John Galt?

Quote:
Have you tried Cell one? it's about the equivalent of the cans and string. and their customer service rivals that of nextel. I'll stick with verizon for now.

"Won't work, can't be done"
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 12:04 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to SVT2888
My dad has had good luck with Nextel phones. Heck they even work in Mexico and I mean way in Mexico. Alot of trucking company's use Nextels. But it does seem that the older phones last way longer.

Mods: Concrete Median
CNCpics.com-Automotive Event Photography
Facebook
Ebay Store
Official B-team member. Viva La Revolucion!
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 12:12 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar_guy04
Have you tried Cell one? it's about the equivalent of the cans and string. and their customer service rivals that of nextel. I'll stick with verizon for now.
cell one = cingular.

CMP Drag Racing

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 12:20 AM
Who is John Galt?

Quote:
cell one = cingular.
that would explain it.

"Won't work, can't be done"
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 06:13 AM
Draggin the Subframe
with Jesus now
RIP Buddy!

I have Altell, works great, good coverage, and the customer service doesn't blow chunks...course I have a simple Nokia phone (no flip open, polyphonic, picture stuff) Works for me, and my blood pressure stays down.

The one, the only.........Bagged!.....Bottle Fed!......Thunderchicken!!
13.605 @ 99.46 & 13.608 @ 99.78 & 13.610 @ 101.72 on the bottle.
14.782 @ 94.46 at Cecil
14.792 @ 93.38 at Rockingham with new torque converter (2800 stall) 95% humidity, 82 degrees....
284.3 hp @ 4100 rpm, 370.4 ftlb @ 3600 rpm
Your friendly, run of the mill, Psychopathic moderator

NC Chapter Forum Carolina Thunder

TCCoA A-hole crew 2005 "DIASS"
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 06:56 AM

Garage
They all suck. I've had everyone but Nextel (way too expensive) and they all have crappy customer service and spotty service overall.

BTW, Cellular One -> Airtouch Wireless -> Verizon. I started with Cellular One, stayed through the move to Airtouch and then to Verizon. Each one got progressively worse.

Also, every one of these companies are great until you have a problem. At that point they all suck. They are all also a bunch of crooks too. Read your contract sometime. They could give you a brochure saying it's worth $200 retail and then charge you that full price if you end your contract early.

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, suddenly everything looks like a nail."
"Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious."
1992 Ford Thunderbird SC

Coast High Peformance 347 Stroker
-Low Tension Oil Rings, Zero Gap Seconds
-10.5:1 Compression Ratio
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
Trick Flow Street Heat Intake
Mac 1 5/8 long tube headers
FRPP 42# injectors
3.27 gears
Custom aluminum driveshaft
M5R2
Burned Chip for SN95 T4M0 ECM
OMGHI2U

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 08:14 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Midnight
I guess that I am lucky then. I have had nextel for 5+ years. I started with the big yellow brick. It got thrown into a fire (not my fault) and I still used the phone for like 3 months. Switched to the i90 and had that for 2 years and never had a problem. Now I have the i860 camera phone. It is expensive but I got a great deal on it. Never really have a problem with texts, voice, radio, pictures. So I guess that I am lucky.

Sprtnlax14: i was was up at 4:30 to hunt
LtlLinds424: you did NOT just say hunt
Sprtnlax14: whatever, the day you become a vegan we'll talk
LtlLinds424: the day that you stop only spitting game and not producing girls in your bed... we'll talk

My Dragons
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 02:26 PM
PostWhore

Sprint is the only provider we have to choose from around here that is reliable enough to provide decent coverage. We have no Verizon and the only Nextel around here is a franchise that still refuses to play the merger game.
It's not only the provider, but the type of phone you are using that will have an effect on coverage. My POS Samsung searches for signal most of the time when I pull it out of my pocket, even outside.
Sprint's customer service SUCKS! It just so happens that I'm a third party PCS dealer and have access to direct numbers to reps with more than half a brain. Most of my customers never bother to even try calling cust. service. They just come directly to me.

BTW, text messaging on ANY provider is NOT reliable. Ask any provider and they will tell you that they only guarantee that a text message will arrive no later than three, that's (3) DAYS. Some have no such guarantee at all. Put simply, do not rely on text messaging to get anything important across to the other party.
Back when I had my att TDMA nokia, it would beep with a text message from ebay quicker than I had time to refresh my auction page. I would know that I was outbid by the text message even when sitting at my computer. Those were the days...

Jim

Slightly Jerryfied...
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 04:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
i have tmobile, and they are cheapest for what you get 1000 minutes for 3999, plus i get 500 texts for an extra 4.95, so its like 54 bucks a month.

Gooddeal.

Loweryourbills.com has cingular razr phones for free with a 2 year contract, but their plans aren't that great.

Tmobile coverage is ok i suppose
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 05:58 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
cell service you say? I have verizon.....hurricane wilma blew through my 'hood on monday. Well, at work we have no phone lines, no email for management, corporate can't contact the store, and all of the grocery orders for the store cant be sent to the warehouse for polling.

Well, im the only one at work with Verizon service and the only who has enough "bars" to make a call. My manager spent half the day on my phone with ISP support because his Cingular service was non existant. I never have call drops, never have failed calls, and have a 35$ a month bill. I dont need a phone with mp3s, eleventeen megapixel cam, videos, etc...i have a phone to call people. Nextel can make their phones as cool looking as they want, but i hear that damn direct connect beep one more time, someone is gonna get a kick in the junk.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Stroked and Blown

I didnt go over there today because it was later than I expected. I will go to the Verizon dealer though and check out there plans. My current plan is 300 free minutes during the week. Free after 9:00pm. Weekends are free also, which means Friday at 9:00pm-Monday morning at 6:00am. I pay the extra $10.00 a month for unlimited text messenging. My total bill is usually between $54.00-$63.00 a month. I have a good plan but it's just the point that they suck. I wait 20 minutes- an hour (sometimes longer) to recieve a text message from a Verizon phone but Verizon recieves mine right away. Theres other shlt about the text messenging too that sucks, hell theres other bullshlt in general that sucks. I thought once they merged with Sprint, it would be better but not quite, obviously. I don't know. If Verizon can match the same plan I already have with Nextel, then I'll probably switch so we'll see what happens.

For real though, Nextel seriously needs to "get with the program"

My other home:
Mid-AtlanticMN12's

'96 Ford Tbird 3.8 SC
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 06:57 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Dude
I didnt go over there today because it was later than I expected. I will go to the Verizon dealer though and check out there plans. My current plan is 300 free minutes during the week. Free after 9:00pm. Weekends are free also, which means Friday at 9:00pm-Monday morning at 6:00am. I pay the extra $10.00 a month for unlimited text messenging. My total bill is usually between $54.00-$63.00 a month. I have a good plan but it's just the point that they suck. I wait 20 minutes- an hour (sometimes longer) to recieve a text message from a Verizon phone but Verizon recieves mine right away. Theres other shlt about the text messenging too that sucks, hell theres other bullshlt in general that sucks. I thought once they merged with Sprint, it would be better but not quite, obviously. I don't know. If Verizon can match the same plan I already have with Nextel, then I'll probably switch so we'll see what happens.

For real though, Nextel seriously needs to "get with the program"
there is a reason why verizon brags about thier network and everyone else brags about their phones

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 07:01 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
When they send me a text message back, it takes anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour to come through.
Did you ever stop to think maybe the problem is on Verizon's end? Did you try to txt to and from anyone on another network?

Quote:
If any of you work for Nextel, your phone company is incompetent!
I had verizon for like four years, and have delt with other departments within Verizon as well, and let me tell you: THEY are incompetent. Every department of Verizon. When I first got ferizon, they F***** up my billing, I ended up with like $800 in roaming charges, and it took like 7 months to get straightened out. Their service SUCKED. I dropped a LOT of calls with verizon. Their T1 provisioning people are morons. Sent me on four trips from the east end of NY where I lived to Brooklyn to try to get a T1 up, couldn't get it to come up clean, they're scratching their heads, meanwhile it had been DOCUMENTED (prior to my first trip) that they had to run fiber to the building to get it to work. Sent a coworker up to Tarrytown many times saying that the circuit tests good. Get there, smartjack is dead. Tests ok my @$$. They can't do ANYTHING right.

I Had Nextel before I had verizon, and switched back to Nextel. I have had NO problems at all. Better service in general and better coverage, if you ask me. I've dropped a lot less calls with Nextel than I did with Verizon.

Needless to say, I HATE verizon. I, for one, wouldn't go back to them if they paid me.

Just my $.02

'95 Cougar - 2002 Explorer engine, 2004 Mustang PTP2 PCM

Best times:
PI 4.6L 95 XR7 Cougar: [email protected]
2004.5 Silverado Crew Cab/Long Bed/4x4 6.6L Duramax: [email protected] (Weighing in at over 7200#) on 10/19/2007
Dyno - 446.4RWHP/820.2RWTq on 6/13/2008
Pulling - 300.9' 3rd place finish 8/2011
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Stroked and Blown

BTW, why the F*** am I not subscribed to this thread, lol. I havnt recieved any emails, i have to keep checking, lol

My other home:
Mid-AtlanticMN12's

'96 Ford Tbird 3.8 SC
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 11:27 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
BTW, why the F*** am I not subscribed to this thread, lol. I havnt recieved any emails, i have to keep checking, lol
same here... only I was b*tching at my outlook express for some reason....

Slightly Jerryfied...
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 11:31 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to SVT2888
Quote:
same here

Mods: Concrete Median
CNCpics.com-Automotive Event Photography
Facebook
Ebay Store
Official B-team member. Viva La Revolucion!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in