Advice needed on recent used car purchase - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to itsthekavorka
Advice needed on recent used car purchase

Any input will be greatly appreciated....just bought a new daily, an 01 wolfsburg jetta 1.8t 5-speed...i purchased it used from a local chrysler dealership...check engine light came on a week after i had it and i pulled codes that read random misfire, cyl 1-4misfire, etc. The first time i brought it in they erased the codes in house rather than bringing it to vw. The second time it happened they say they brought it to vw to have the cpu reflashed and currently its there again, same problem. The thing is they swear that there is nothing wrong with it and that vw said so. When i asked about the codes they said they're were none although i dropped the car off with the c.e.l on. I had told the dealer i wanted out if they couldnt resolve the problem the third time so i have a feeling they are denying a problem because its there last shot. What are my rights in NYS dealing with this. Im familiar with the 60day 3k lemon law and i intend to pursue it if this isnt resolved immediately. I was told to contact my local DA. Thanks guys/gals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 06:46 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

i would , out of pcoket, take it to a vw dealer ,differnet than what they are using .yes i understand it shouldnt happen that way , but dealers are shady sometimes and its worth your investment dollars to have it properly checked out. and you didnt mention how many miles either

64 ford galaxie -FE powered beast!- sleeping giant
69 cougar standard- 347/c6 -efi restomod, heidts prog 4 link heavily modified front, custom strutrods boxed lowers rollerperches 620 lowering springs! meier shock tower brace
96 f150 supercab lifted beast! 351 powered beast
87 shasta roadmaster 29ft travel trailer- pimpdaddy camping!
mn12 less!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 07:45 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Not sure on the VW, but on most four cylinders, #1 and #4 share one coil pack while #2 and #3 share the other one. See if you can switch the coil packs while keeping the wires and everything going to the same place. If you can, then disconnect the battery to clear it, swap the coil packs, then drive it till the light comes on again and take it to get the codes scanned. If the misfire moves to cylinders 2 and 3 instead of 1 and 4, then you need a new coil pack.

Mike

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Thanks guys. I will be taking it to another dealer once i get it back since i just called and the manager told me i am a liar and hung the phone up, unbelievable. The car has 50k, and i'm going to swap the coil packs over and see what comes up. It wont be a problem because on the vw's, there is no wires since it has direct ignition. Thanks again
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 01:47 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 92blackbird
My 03 Civic threw the same code at 34,xxx miles. I changed the plugs, and problem was solved. I would say just pull the plugs and inspect, could save alot of headache.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 03:20 PM
PostWhore

If it turns out to be the coil packs take it back to the dealer and show them. Had a similar thing happen with a manager when I bought a rebuilt starter, sure shuts them up and turns them a lovely red fast when they see that they are full of **** in front of you

"She aint a Cadillac and she aint a Rolls, but there aint nothin wrong with the radio"

Of course everyone loves a hard worker, they do all the work!

90 LS - gone damn city drivers
93 Explorer XL 2dr 4x4 - totalled does anyone in that f*ckin city know how to drive

OK, that was twice in 6 months, red means STOP
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Here goes an update...THe car has been back 4 times now including two different vw dealerships andthe c.e.l is still gleaming. I have already filed for arbitration under NYS lemon law and recieved necessary paperwork. The dealership as a means of not going to court has offered me an 04 monte carlo LS with 31k for $12, 500. Its clean and i had my mechanic check it out. Would it be wiser to take this car and sell it privately or take the jetta off of the road and wait until my court date. From what i understand it is ideal to hire an attorney in such an event. If i do take the monte i would have to make sure i can get my money back privately but i don't see the market too big for those monte's. Any ideas?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 11:27 AM
PostWhore

Tell the dealer to make a better offer, fact that they even offered you anything means they think they will porb lose in court.

"She aint a Cadillac and she aint a Rolls, but there aint nothin wrong with the radio"

Of course everyone loves a hard worker, they do all the work!

90 LS - gone damn city drivers
93 Explorer XL 2dr 4x4 - totalled does anyone in that f*ckin city know how to drive

OK, that was twice in 6 months, red means STOP
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 11:31 AM
2nd Gear Poster

The monte is a horrible pos with equally bad resale value. Do not let the dealer pawn it off on you.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 11:35 AM
Raoul Duke

Stay away from the Monte Carlo.

1996 Mercury Cougar XR7
4.6 - Dynomax-Equipped - Tranny Cooler - 3.27 T/L - 125k Miles
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

BlueLS, The dealer claims that $12,500 is what they own it for. On top of that they want to hit me for $800 on the jetta "trade" and another $400 for the extended warranty that will be returned (pro-rated)leaving me $1,200 in the red. If i did take the monte i am going to go back and refuse the offer. They messed up and i feel they should absorb any losses. And thirsty, that is exactly what they are trying to do, pawn off a p.o.s. If i did go to court, a conclusion wouldnt be reached for months and i need to find an attorney asa[.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in