Punkin' Chunkin' - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Cool Punkin' Chunkin'

Who has heard of Punkin' Chunkin'? Has anyone ever been to the event? It has been on the Discovery channel for the past few weeks. It was taped in 2002 and has been aired about this time every year since then. I've been going since the early days in the mid/late 80's. It was easy for me because at the time I lived in Slower Lower Delaware! AND PROUD OF IT!! It was originaly a one day event, on Sunday in an old air field in Lewes, when a couple of guys got together to see who could throw a pumpkin the fartherist. Word of mouth spread here and it grew. You have to understand that Lewes, Rehobeth Beach, Dewey Beach, Bethany Beach, Fenwick Island, and Ocean City, Md are resort areas. Alot of people who live there are "Transplants", which means a lot of visitors year round, and a lot of mouths. So it grew! Now it is a three day event that draws people from all over the country. We even have a team from England competeing this year! Now it's become international. Here's a couple pic's from last year. Bear with me because I'm still learning how to do this.

In this pic, a guy is pointing in the sky at one that was shot from an air canon. Pay no attention to the Fat head in the fore ground. I've lost 70 lbs. since last year and have stopped smoking.

In this pic, a guy has shot a pumpkin from a giant sling shot, and I caught it as it was leaving the sling. It was so fast that it left a blur. Also, an Air Cannon had shot one off from the opposite side of the field and I caught it in the same shot! Go figure!!

Last edited by Uncaged 94; 11-03-2005 at 06:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 09:35 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to Carlover007
I have seen that on the discovery channel but never in person..
Looks really wild tho

Current rides: 09 CTS-V (went to dark side) & GSXR-1000

Still miss her: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2304264/1
Unknown 4.6L Vortech V1, 42# injectors, 255lph fuel pump, 90MM MAF
3200 Stall DirtyDog TC, 3.73's w/ trac lok, MMX drive shaft
SCP True dual exhaust, J Mod, tranny cooler, 17" Cobra R's,
ADDCO front and rear sway bars, Koni Shocks, Sport Springs & poly bushings
DBRUS Dual Piston Front Calipers w/ 13" Drilled & Slotted pwdr coated rotors
Xenon grfx, Reverse gauges, 97 Console, Dual DVD player,
JL Audio & Pioneer speakers, Hifonics amps, 1 farad Cap, Monster cable, etc.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 08:17 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

As long as the forecast looks good for Sunday, with no rain, I will be there this year. My wife's long lost Uncle, who we just go back in touch with, turns out to be one of the surveyors who measures the distance.

Anyone who's going on Sunday, let's see if we can meet up somewhere, although I'll have the Expedition, not the T-bird.

It does sound cool.

:
The statements in this post are my opinions only.
If you have a problem with them, please PM me
and keep the boards clear of flame wars.

:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Cool

Cool. It's suppose to be sunny and in the low 70's!!!! I'll be there with my sister. We rented a motel room for the weekend. I'll have the T'bird. I'll be parked up close because I have a handicapped hanger to display on the rear view mirror (because of my back). It's a white '94 with duel chrome tips, and with a TCCoA sticker on the quarter glass. I'll be checkin' the forums out one last time (around 3:30 or so) before we leave around 5:00 or so. Maybe I'll leave a note on the dash for a place to meet on Sunday. Hope to see some of ya's! It would be cool!!!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 10:43 AM
Trumpeter Extraordinaire

Punkin Chunkin

I heard about it a few years ago on the Discovery Channel (neat to watch!). If I recall correctly, one air cannon shot a punkin' "too far" and was unmeasurable...it went into the woods past the measuring field.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Cool

Well, we made it back safe and secure. The T'bird made the trip ok. I just had to change the water pump (at about 195,000 miles), not because it was leaking, because the bearings were starting to get noisey. That's all I needed was to breakdown 100 miles away. It was the original pump too, had Ford numbers and emblem on it. The weather was good temperature wise, but the wind was a problem on Sat., and Sunday was worse. It's been dry down there and a small burst of wind would make an intense dust cloud. Sorry I missed you Mamberg. I wrote down your number, But, I forgot it. Maybe next time? Did ya make it down?

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 06:49 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Yeah, we made it, and it was awesome! I was hoping you would have called, we had pit parking and passes, I could have gotten you in to see the machines up close. My 13 year old son and daughter both got a chance to be out in the field, recording the official distances for the trebuchets, catapults, and the smaller machines.

Saw at least two world records broken, Yankee Siege threw a pumpkin over 1,700 feet (see pic - 11,000 lbs. of weight in the bucket!!), and Second Amendment Too won the air cannons with a shot of over 4,200 feet into the woods.

It is much better on the other side of the fence, you could actually see the pumpkins being shot out of the air cannons, although you would almost always lose them by the time they landed. Were you there when the last shot of the day on Sunday went into the crowd? It went straight up and landed about 30-40 yards from the machine. Luckily no one was hurt. We were also standing next to the trebuchet that came apart, although he got off a good shot.

It was actually refreshing to be somewhere that the government and OSHA haven't regulated all the danger out of. I'll definitely be there next year, although I think they have outgrown this field and it will be somewhere different next year.

:
The statements in this post are my opinions only.
If you have a problem with them, please PM me
and keep the boards clear of flame wars.

:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Last edited by mamberg; 11-08-2005 at 07:06 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 09:32 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to 93Nightmistbird
i thought it was going to be held in maryland next year? i didnt go but my good friend bryan did...and does every year. i'm definately flying out for next year though no matter where it is

Owner, for some strange reason, has decided to spend her money on Photography Equipment. Preferably Canon. Any chance of Donations to a poor college Equine Science student? hehe

I can try, can't I?....

Oh, and I can't wait for Halloween Weekend!!!

My other Favorite places: MySpace, Myspace Blog, Facebook, Photography on the Net, Southern Illinois University at Carbondale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in