How do YOU make a big decision? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

How do YOU make a big decision?

I went to see 2 houses this weekend with my mom.

One house had a lot of stuff my mom was looking for, but some of the work that had been done to it was kinda shoddy. For example, the previous owner had expanded the living room into the garage. (My mom doesn't require a garage, for some reason ) But the transition between the original living room floor, and the new floor where the garage was, could easily be felt under the carpet. And, the previous owner didn't cover the garage door on the outside of the house. What my mom likes about this is that the living room is nice and big.

The second house we looked at was in better shape, but needed more work to make it the way my mom wants. But, the way I see it, we can do this work the right way, and don't have to trust that the previous owner got it right.

I'm not asking for advice about which house to choose, I've left out WAY too much information for that. But, I'd like to know if any of you have had to make a big decision in the past where the pros and cons balanced out, and there wasn't a clear right answer. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Night was dark, but the sky was blue,
Down the alley, the ice-wagon flew,
Heard a bump, and somebody screamed,
You should have heard just what I seen.

Who do you love?

-Bo Diddley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 11:46 AM
6th Gear Poster

If you are a Christian, you pray and sometimes fast. If you aren't a Christian then you can ask some you know to pray for you. Be very specific about what you pray about so you know when the prayer has been answered.

you may want to right down the pluses and minuses of each house and compare them. It helps to gain perspective when you can see it in writing. Look at both houses several times. You will see things you didn't notice the first time. Hire a home inspector if you are really serious about the house you want. It may cost $400, but it may save waaaay more, and you can use the home inspector report in the bargaining process.

97 T-Bird Sport: Dynomax catback, Removed silencer w/ K&N panel, DReinhart chip, Lightning AGSF12-FM1 plugs/180 stat, Tokico 1.25" dropped stance, bye bye fender gap

'79 F100 SB : 300 ci six, Hurst Mastershift 3spd floor shifter, Offenhauser intake, Holley 4 brrl, EFI manifolds, Chebbie Rockers, Summit Racing 3.50 gearset, DISO 2.5" diesel muffler and 2.5" exhaust, Its'a six?!

Last edited by ThunderB; 11-07-2005 at 01:31 PM.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Thanks for the reply. I am making a list right now, and I think that will help.

Who do you love?

-Bo Diddley
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 12:25 PM
Draggin the Subframe
with Jesus now
RIP Buddy!

Yea, I'm with having someone professional coming to look at the prospective purchases, they can spot things that are out of whack because that's what they do. My dad does inspections for a living, and he sees things all the time that would scare people. Bad wiring, shoddy repairs, leaks, insulation woes. Alot of that stuff can add up to big $ when you get the place. The leaks are the worst, as they can create that nasty black mold that is toxic to humans, and once that mold takes hold, any wood that it is on has to replaced, which of course, can be super costly, and or just ruin the house if it is bad enough.

The one, the only.........Bagged!.....Bottle Fed!......Thunderchicken!!
13.605 @ 99.46 & 13.608 @ 99.78 & 13.610 @ 101.72 on the bottle.
14.782 @ 94.46 at Cecil
14.792 @ 93.38 at Rockingham with new torque converter (2800 stall) 95% humidity, 82 degrees....
284.3 hp @ 4100 rpm, 370.4 ftlb @ 3600 rpm
Your friendly, run of the mill, Psychopathic moderator

NC Chapter Forum Carolina Thunder

TCCoA A-hole crew 2005 "DIASS"
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 12:35 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
This is why the coin toss was invented...heads or tails

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

I have a pretty good idea of what I'm looking at. After we make an offer, I will still have an inspection done. So, if the inspector finds something real scary, then I'll ask the current owners to fix it, adjust their price, or let me walk away.

The reason I don't want an inspection before I make an offer is because I don't want to waste the $400 or so and have them reject my offer anyway.

Again, thanks for the replies. It might come down to flipping a coin.

Who do you love?

-Bo Diddley
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 05:56 PM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to ThomasR91169
go for the house with less work done.

wouldnt you rather start out with a stock car if youre going to mod it that way you can mod it right, rather than start out with a previously modded car that more than likely wasnt done right and youll have to go back and fix everything before you can start what you wanted to do? you never buy someone elses mistakes.

1994 Tbird 4.6l, 3 trannies later and still bone stock.
Click to See
2002 Stang GT, 5spd "Ellie", Eleanor Tribute. Stage 3 Roush Kit, Saleen S281 Spoiler, JMS / Ironman Customs CL-2 C-Pillar Panels. Black Racing stripes on Pepper Grey. Minor Bolt ons, Real mods coming soon(Procharger, VT cams/Headwork, 31spline Eaton Rear, T-56 Swap)
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 01:58 AM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

With the cost of housing nowadays, it often cheaper to build your house from scratch. Don't know if she has enough time for that though.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 11:24 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to 96lxcorey
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd0g
This is why the coin toss was invented...heads or tails

I prefer my magic 8ball.

Good luck on your decision.

corey

Excuses are just that.......excuses
9 out of 10 times your gut feeling wont steer you wrong
1997 Sport
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 01:00 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ben_cline Send a message via MSN to ben_cline Send a message via Yahoo to ben_cline
House that's easiest to work on. I'd make a list of things to improve. Then weigh them by cost and time to fix. Then location near places you'd go, friends, people in the area. Go for a walk around the neighborhood a couple times. Talk to the neighbors and get a feel for them, because you could get stuck with crackhead welfare neighbors that park their cars on the grass and field dress deer from the trees, like we had.

We've had to redo every room in our house, at least once. Too much of a hassle. Still not where we want it, and parents are divorcing after we've lived here 15 years. 15 years and still not done. Kitchen is finally nice after all the work this summer.

Benjamin' 07/30/82 Christian MySpace CarDomain
Celica and Chevy 1500 are sold for parts. Now I'm left with the broken Buick and my '98 Dakota.
Bedroom: Pioneer VSX23, DefTech BP6s (front) ProCenter 2000, Mirage Omni 350s, 10" Kicker L7 pushed by PExpress plate amp, XBox 360, PS3, 50" LG 3D plasma.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 02:52 AM

Thumbs up

I would buy the one I felt was in a better location.That 's always the first thing buyers consider when they plan on purchasing a home.Walk around both properties and the neighborhood and feel out which one fits you and your family.Or else the proverbial coin flip. Good luck
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 04:01 AM
Full Metal

Send a message via AIM to RedThunder94 Send a message via Yahoo to RedThunder94
location, neigborhood, condition, layout, and price.

Smash Forehead on Keyboard to Continue....

2004 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
Pioneer DEH-P6000UB Infinity 2 way 6x8's, and Eclipse 5x7 3 ways, Fultron Tweets, Infinity 1211A, Alpine SWR-1222D Type-R 12.

1999 VW New Beetle SOLD!

1990 F150 Lariat Xlt 4.9L std cab longbed, E4OD, Work Truck.

1994 F150 XL 5.0L 4R70W Current Project.

Member of the MN12Online posse.

click here to check 'em out.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

That's what makes this such a tough decision. They are almost in the same location--they are only a block apart. They are also the same price. One house was fudged around with, but the result is that it is closer to what my mom is looking for. The other house isn't quite so fudged up, but needs a little work to make it what my mom wants. The only real, difference between the two houses, is that the second one has a gravel driveway, and a hill in the back yard, and the first house has a concrete driveway, and a flat back yard.

So, I will be calling the realtor today to see both houses again this weekend. (It's really a pain in the... when you live so far away.)

BTW, nice kitchen 93pimpin!

Who do you love?

-Bo Diddley
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 01:23 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ben_cline Send a message via MSN to ben_cline Send a message via Yahoo to ben_cline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_97_LX
BTW, nice kitchen 93pimpin!
What it looked like before:

No before pics on the floor, when it was down to the wood.

Benjamin' 07/30/82 Christian MySpace CarDomain
Celica and Chevy 1500 are sold for parts. Now I'm left with the broken Buick and my '98 Dakota.
Bedroom: Pioneer VSX23, DefTech BP6s (front) ProCenter 2000, Mirage Omni 350s, 10" Kicker L7 pushed by PExpress plate amp, XBox 360, PS3, 50" LG 3D plasma.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93pimpin
What it looked like before:...
Yep, old houses are fun.

An update to my situation: my mom has decided she doesn't want to go with either house, so we are still looking.

Who do you love?

-Bo Diddley
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 07:14 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Here is something that nobody seemed to mention.

Is this being purchased as an investment, or just a place to live? If it is an investment, do an analysis of money/time spent doing improvements vs. appreciation value. As an example, my best friend built a $318K house in CO 4 years ago. He has done NOTHING to it since new… it just appraised at $550K!!!

Home ownership (real estate) is probably the best investment anyone can do with his or her money.

If it is just a “place to live”, then get what you like. Trust me, you don’t want to spend every day in a house that pisses you off due to what ever reason.

Just my .02 and good luck.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 04:01 PM
Resident 40th Anniversary Expert

Send a message via AIM to Shawn40th
"How do YOU make a big decision?"

"People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people."

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII, LSC - Green/Tan Leather, Sunroof, etc. FOR SALE. Inquire within.

Current car: 1999 Corvette

The 40th Anniversary Tbird is gone. Her old website & CarDomain page

Senior Member of the 'B-Team'.
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 04:39 PM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Home ownership (real estate) is probably the best investment anyone can do with his or her money.
Yes and no. From the sound of it, they're not buying an investment house, just a place to live. The market is slowing, really fast. The over inflated house prices will drop now that interest is coming up. People in CA are now waiting months to sell a house that would have sold in days 6 months ago.

On the decision, don't buy either, unless you need something now. Neither house is exactly what you want. Keep looking. When we were looking for our house, it was between a 1450 sq ft house on 1/2 acre in town for a good price that was in need of $1000 in repair and hadn't been redecorated (lighting, wall paper, carpet etc) since it was built in the 50's. The other house was 1984, cost twice as much, 3000 sq ft, 850 sq ft guest house (not livable), 30x20 barn, 2.8 acres, wooded area just outside of town with an extra 10 minutes of driving to work.

Criteria:
Cost, location, value, willingness to work on it, resale value, enjoyment factor:

My story:
Older house: if I bought it, would have spent about $10k fixing it up, could have paid it off in 6 years, be in great financial shape. Be looking for a new house in a year or two. Could sell it for a $25k profit nownow

New house: Have spent $35k+ fixing it up. 26 piers later, the foundation is in worse shape than before, still has a 20x15 foot mural that belongs in a mexican restaurant. It appraised at $50k over the cost the year after we bought it. (efforts paid off) Everyone that comes over is astounded at how good it looks. I'm a step from broke at all times.

I still feel we made the right decision.

Find the one that you really want, just don't tell the sellers you do.

SOLD!!!!

5.4 block from 99 expedition bored .20 over
Forged crank/Manley Rods/JE flat tops/chromemoly rings and Steeda Underdrives
P&P PI heads (by me) w/ 3 angle valve job w/copper gaskets with ARP studs/bolts and One piece lightning cams
80mm Pro-M MAF and Cut & welded '95 4.6 intake
Jmodded Trans & Trac-loc pumpkin (Cobra) 3.27
Raxles, ADDCO 1 1/4", Eibachs, JL Braces
18" CEC type 169 wheels w/ 245/40 front 255/45 rear
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Update

My mom got the keys to her new house yesterday.

It isn't either of the 2 that I described at the beginning of this thread.

It's a nice, solid, brick ranch. The only major drawback is that it doesn't have a garage, but we can build one in the near future. (hopefully the cost of materials will go back down soon) The only other bad things are that the kitchen is a little dated, and the carpet in the living room is ugly--but new. We paid $84,000 for it, but with the large down payment (Christmas present from me) the monthly payments will only be about $501.

Who do you love?

-Bo Diddley
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 10:18 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to 96lxcorey
Congrats to your mom.Have enogh room for a nice 36x36 pole building?

corey

Excuses are just that.......excuses
9 out of 10 times your gut feeling wont steer you wrong
1997 Sport
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 10:37 AM
Converter Guy

36x36? bleh get a real building I built a 30x42 it wasn't nearly enough go for 40x60 or something like that.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
36x36? bleh get a real building I built a 30x42 it wasn't nearly enough go for 40x60 or something like that.
Alan
That's bigger than the house--and there's nothing wrong with that. But the yard isn't big enough. Mom will probably just want a 1 1/2 car garage.

Who do you love?

-Bo Diddley
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 01:09 PM
Converter Guy

My garage is bigger than my house..sadly it's prolly worth more too.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 01:33 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
That's bigger than the house--and there's nothing wrong with that. But the yard isn't big enough. Mom will probably just want a 1 1/2 car garage.
go at least 2 car.

CMP Drag Racing
best ET: 12.410 -- best MPH: 107.61
NMRA MM7270 -- NMCA EFI/? ????
Thank you to the CMP Drag Racing team: Tony, Doug, Maryann, Dale, Paul and Chris.

post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicRattlehead
go at least 2 car.
I would like to, especially for the resale value. We'll have to see what we can do, though. Mom and I are both pretty stretched financially now, so it's a matter of what we can afford vs. how soon we want to build.

Who do you love?

-Bo Diddley
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 02:05 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasR91169
go for the house with less work done.

wouldnt you rather start out with a stock car if youre going to mod it that way you can mod it right, rather than start out with a previously modded car that more than likely wasnt done right and youll have to go back and fix everything before you can start what you wanted to do? you never buy someone elses mistakes.
not all mortage companies fill finance a house in need of repair, or do it at all. As the house will cost less than others in the same neighborhood, they will often not meet code compliances and will often by purchased for cash and flipped after repairs are made.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 04:57 PM
Who is John Galt?

Quote:
My garage is bigger than my house
is there any other way to live

"Won't work, can't be done"
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 12:35 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Juice Send a message via MSN to Juice Send a message via Yahoo to Juice
Quote:
We paid $84,000 for it, but with the large down payment (Christmas present from me) the monthly payments will only be about $501.

$84k?! You can't buy a stick of gum around here for that! It is amazing how much of a difference there is between states for property value... Yikes.

~Chuck

I put the sexy in dyslexia.
Chaos Journey
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 04:01 AM
CEO Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliHwyPatrol
$84k?! You can't buy a stick of gum around here for that! It is amazing how much of a difference there is between states for property value... Yikes.

Its actually quite disturbing... When I wa sin KY, house generally ran in the 60 - 100K range. Here in the Bean they go for 300 - 700K....

2003 Infiniti G35 Sport Package with Navigation

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliHwyPatrol

~Chuck
If you think that's cheap, you should see what that can get you in Youngstown, just 40-50 miles away.

Who do you love?

-Bo Diddley

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in