Gun Owners - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Gun Owners

Guys, I have a quick question about two guns. This would be my first handgun, but being that I'm going back to New Orleans, it seems like a good time to get it. I don't know much about guns, but I know I don't want a p.o.s. I want something reliable, that will last for years and shoot straight. It will be used primarily just for practice and of course for protection. I am leaning toward a .40 caliber. With that being said, does anyone have any experience with the Glock 23 or Sig 229 models? Or for that matter if you like another model better.

I know a lot of it is your personal view (what feels good in your hand, etc.), but just thought I would try to get a little help from the experts. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 01:44 PM
PostWhore

Revolver in .357 magnum. Very powerful (I'll let you look up the specs) and you can use cheap .38s for target practice. Get a reputable brand like Ruger (my fav) or Smith & Wesson (sp).

Just remember that semi-autos can and will jam, so it's a revolver for my home protection. I know the chances of a new style semi-auto pistol with good ammo jamming is slim, but it's still there.

That's MY opinion.

Hope it helps,
Rob

02 AL PI 4.6L, 02 GT MAF and air box, SCT tune by lonnie.
2.25" true duals, no cats, Borla XS mufflers.
96 trans with 300HP + gear change J-mod, Mark VIII TC, & Hayden 30K GVW cooler.
Solid Rubber engine and tranny mounts. Polly front-end, tranny crossmember, and IRS bushings.
3.73 TL, 93 Mark VIII DS. Tokico Blues all around.
PBR dual piston calipers in front, Rear Disc Brake Swap.
97 console. Cooper 225/60/16s.
14.874 @ 93.56 with 3.27 before 3.73 upgrade
post #3 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 02:03 PM
Who is John Galt?

While I don't own any (can't until I turn 21), I have shot a BUNCH with the school's gun club. my 3 favorite hangun calibers to shoot are the .45 ACP, .357 Mag, .40 S&W.

If you want a semi-auto, I've been a big fan of the Glocks since I first fired them. I mainly shot a Glock 21. Never had a jam with it all the time I was shooting. Just a few misfires from crappy ammunition.

Girdnerg brings up a good point about revolvers too. Not as much stuff to go wrong.

"Won't work, can't be done"
post #4 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 02:07 PM
5th Gear Poster

I tottaly agree. Auto loaders are neat but a revolver is rock solid. I have a conceal carry permit I carrry a Smith and Wesson 357 magnum. For two reasons, if it gets stolen you are not out allot of money. And it will never jam in case I ever have to use it. Check out the louisiana hand gun rules. I think you can legally carry one as long as its not concealed. i don't know what your worried about we got all your criminals here in Texas. New Orleans is probably the safest city in America. if your not really expericned with handguns the revolver is the best place to start. As far as home defense nothing is better than a youth model 20 gauge pump with bird shot, close range its deadly plus it won't go through sheetrock walls.

mazda6 Sport- 06
100hp worth of Stickers coming soon

Last edited by Blake-vortech; 11-09-2005 at 02:11 PM. Reason: spelling
post #5 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Thanks for the info guys. Although I agree that a revolver probably is more reliable, for one reason or another I am pretty set on a semi-auto. Plus with a higher quality piece that is well taken care of with quality ammo I can't imagine too many jamming problems, of course I know that 1 is too many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake-vortech
Check out the louisiana hand gun rules. I think you can legally carry one as long as its not concealed. i don't know what your worried about we got all your criminals here in Texas. New Orleans is probably the safest city in America.
You are correct that we can carry them as long as it's not concealed.

Oh yeah, thanks for the Texas generosity in taking all of our trash. From what I hear, 3 out of 4 of the ones they sent to Houston are not planning on returning. Have fun!
post #6 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 02:16 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
Quote:
........As far as home defense nothing is better than a youth model 20 gauge pump with bird shot, close range its deadly plus it won't go through sheetrock walls.
There's a lot of sense in that statement. Only downside I can even think of is that the 20 gauge might not be as "mobile", meaning quick to point, aim, fire, etc. But I imagine that practice would minimize that problem. Definitely don't want things going through walls and hitting those you are trying to protect.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #7 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 02:18 PM
PostWhore

Glock 9mms are very relaible guns, hell almost every PD uses them, also a fav of criminals. Asked my uncle about them once (they use them on the force) says they are very good

Dont go smaller than .40, .38s dont have much stopping power. For personal protection a snub-nose .357 mag is perfect, very reliable, will stop anything and easy to conceal.

"She aint a Cadillac and she aint a Rolls, but there aint nothin wrong with the radio"

Of course everyone loves a hard worker, they do all the work!

90 LS - gone damn city drivers
93 Explorer XL 2dr 4x4 - totalled does anyone in that f*ckin city know how to drive

OK, that was twice in 6 months, red means STOP
post #8 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 02:21 PM
Who is John Galt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler
There's a lot of sense in that statement. Only downside I can even think of is that the 20 gauge might not be as "mobile", meaning quick to point, aim, fire, etc. But I imagine that practice would minimize that problem. Definitely don't want things going through walls and hitting those you are trying to protect.
Plus, if he went with a "youth" model, they tend to be shorter, easy to manuever (sp?) in close quarters. I'd never actually thought about using a youth model before. Makes sense though.

post #9 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 02:24 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Quote:
........As far as home defense nothing is better than a youth model 20 gauge pump with bird shot, close range its deadly plus it won't go through sheetrock walls.

There's a lot of sense in that statement. Only downside I can even think of is that the 20 gauge might not be as "mobile", meaning quick to point, aim, fire, etc. But I imagine that practice would minimize that problem. Definitely don't want things going through walls and hitting those you are trying to protect
Shoot prairie chicken for a while and youd be amazed how fast you can get a shotgun up and aimed.

"She aint a Cadillac and she aint a Rolls, but there aint nothin wrong with the radio"

93 Explorer XL 2dr 4x4 - totalled does anyone in that f*ckin city know how to drive

post #10 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 02:24 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
lol As I said, practice, practice, practice.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
<<< SOLD >>>
post #11 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 02:32 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
This is only a little off topic. On the way over here this week (I'm in Hutch KS) I saw a classic redneck style pickup. slight lift, gun rack, duals, etc. bumper stickers advertising policital preferences. Then in the window he has a "Beretta" sticker. Nothing against Beretta's, I hear they are great guns. But it just struck me how the same "All pro American Iron" type of person (and I know I'm way over in stereotype territory here, don't even know the guy) is advertising his love of Italian firearms. I would have expected a sticker that said "Remingon" or "Winchester". LOL Just an observation. Back to the original topic now.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
<<< SOLD >>>
post #12 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 02:39 PM
PostWhore

Believe it or not, CCI makes shotshells for the popular pistol calibers.
Rob

02 AL PI 4.6L, 02 GT MAF and air box, SCT tune by lonnie.
2.25" true duals, no cats, Borla XS mufflers.
96 trans with 300HP + gear change J-mod, Mark VIII TC, & Hayden 30K GVW cooler.
Solid Rubber engine and tranny mounts. Polly front-end, tranny crossmember, and IRS bushings.
3.73 TL, 93 Mark VIII DS. Tokico Blues all around.
PBR dual piston calipers in front, Rear Disc Brake Swap.
97 console. Cooper 225/60/16s.
14.874 @ 93.56 with 3.27 before 3.73 upgrade
post #13 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 04:07 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
usually all it takes is someone hearing that pump action sound and they ***** themselves and leave. i have relatives that work as prison guards and thats the one thing that all the inmates fear.
post #14 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 04:19 PM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to lobo
My .02...

Sig 229 .40 cal all the way. I carried a Glock 23 .40 when we went away from the 9mm in 97. It was nice, buy the Sig is the best gun I've ever carried. Unfortunately I'm stuck with a Beretta right now, but that is the ONLY gun issued over here. But, I carried it in the Military so I remember how it shoots.

.40 cal has almost as much stopping power as the .45, and almost the speed of the 9mm, so it is a great round. (Especially in the Sig).

I cannot wait to get back home, so I can drive my Bird and carry my Sig to work again.

2013 Mustang GT...2013 Escape
post #15 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 04:37 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
usually all it takes is someone hearing that pump action sound and they ***** themselves and leave. i have relatives that work as prison guards and thats the one thing that all the inmates fear.
Way back my great uncle was a guard (when they still carried weapons) he said the same thing. Anything ever got outta hand just give it a pump and everything calmed down. I dont think anyone who B&Es is gonna stick around too long after hearing that.

I do love the one I saw in the SIR catalouge, 12 guage called the "Persuader", hell seeing that thing would persuade anyone to do what you want.

post #16 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo
Sig 229 .40 cal all the way. I carried a Glock 23 .40 when we went away from the 9mm in 97. It was nice, buy the Sig is the best gun I've ever carried. Unfortunately I'm stuck with a Beretta right now, but that is the ONLY gun issued over here. But, I carried it in the Military so I remember how it shoots.

.40 cal has almost as much stopping power as the .45, and almost the speed of the 9mm, so it is a great round. (Especially in the Sig).
Thanks for your inut. Although I am not set between these two models, I am mostly set on a .40 semi-auto. I was leaning toward the Glock, again I don't know too much, but I will definitely check out the Sig as well.

Thanks also for the input on the shotgun. I should have mentioned that since in Louisiana we can carry them without a permit, I really want a hand gun since I plan to take it with me often in the car. As long as it is in sight or you tell the officer that stops you, all is fine. I know Paddycake on here used to carry his Glock 22 in the passengers seat just about everywhere he went.

Any imput is always appreciated guys, so by all means, keep it coming!
post #17 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 05:29 PM
On Probation

I lock the glock .40 caliber models.
post #18 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 07:22 PM
CEO Red Sox Nation

Quote:
a revolver is rock solid. I have a conceal carry permit I carrry a Smith and Wesson 357 magnum. For two reasons, if it gets stolen you are not out allot of money. And it will never jam in case I ever have to use it.
No casings either

357's are very nice, but I am kinda partial to the 44 mag

2003 Infiniti G35 Sport Package with Navigation

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #19 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 08:10 PM
PostWhore

"This is a .44 magnum, the most powerful handgun built" (I think thats how it goes)

Blow through an engine block lol.

Good luck concealing one of those cannons though

post #20 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 08:26 PM
5th Gear Poster

You can cary the shotgun in the car. Most people can't hit the broad side of a barn with a pistol. Now the old shot gun is a differnt story !!!!

A user called the Louisiana State Police and was told state law considers your car an extension of the home, similar to Florida with their glove box law. Carrying a loaded gun in the car is an accepted practice there.

Admin note
In an email from the Louisiana State Police I was told that Louisiana has no law coving firearms inside motor vehicles. Since there is no law anyone who can legally possess a firearm can carry a loaded firearm inside a vehicle. It can be the glove box, console or under the seat. Even without any laws covering firearms inside vehicles I would still be very careful without a Louisiana CCW or one they honor from another state.

mazda6 Sport- 06
100hp worth of Stickers coming soon
post #21 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 09:05 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
http://members.tccoa.com/obucina/DSC...20(Medium).jpg

my household protection. The Colt was made in 1946 and the Ruger is a super redhawk .44 magum

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #22 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 09:15 PM
PostWhore

Nice

post #23 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 10:41 PM
4th Gear Poster

My personal favorite carry/home defense gun is the Glock 21. What you choose depends on your intentions and habits. So far I concur with most of the suggestions given. Because I have kids in the house, I use the box and lock seen in the picture. The key is kept on my key chain and a spare in a hidden location not even my wife knows about. I have more guns than you have fingers, but they are kept unloaded and seperate from the ammo. The .45 Glock however is never more than 1 foot away from me, unless I leave it at home, then it gets locked up. With the Glock there is no hammer to get hung up on something and no safety mechanism to forget to unlock. I carry with a round in the chamber, so if I point and squeeze the trigger, someone is gonna have a bad day. I train people to shoot as part of my job. I shoot thousands of rounds each year. I don't miss. With good habits and lots of practice almost anyone can become very proficient.

[email protected] in 1 second
One owner 1988 5.0 bird All stock, for now...
post #24 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 10:50 PM
PostWhore

A .45 will stop anyting dead in its tracks. Not sure about the Glock .45, but I know the Colt .45 is too much gun for many people to handle, one hell of gun though.

post #25 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 10:56 PM
Who is John Galt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue LS
A .45 will stop anyting dead in its tracks. Not sure about the Glock .45, but I know the Colt .45 is too much gun for many people to handle, one hell of gun though.
Recoil is comparable between a 1911 (Kimber something) and Glock 21. I actually felt a little less with the 1911 (my guess is more mass, but physics isn't my strong point). The 1911 is narrower than the glock too (mainly because of the single stack mag vs. the double stack mag). Either one is fun to shoot

post #26 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 11:00 PM
CEO Red Sox Nation

For home defense, nothing beats a shotgun. Especially since you can keep the tube loaded since it's impossible for a little kid to rack the slide. The last thing you want in a home defensive situation is to have to find your weapon, open the lock, load it and hope the intruder hasn't shot you or your family yet.

Mossberg makes a wall mount which I also have, that allows you to mount a shottie to the wall, and keeps the trigger completely hidden, also so you can keep it ready to go, minus racking the slide.

Dave

Mossberg 500 Pistol Grip Pump - 275.00
Reminton 360 (?) Pistol Grip Pump - 395.00

2003 Infiniti G35 Sport Package with Navigation

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #27 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 11:03 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:

too much gun my ***. My 5'2" mother can put 7 rounds in the bullseye on a 25 yard NRA slow fire target with my 1911. I learned to shoot that colt when I was 12.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #28 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 11:07 PM
PostWhore

Guess you got tougher people down there, people usually ***** about the recoil of the .45 Colt. Fired one once, didnt bother me at all.

post #29 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 11:08 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
also so you can keep it ready to go, minus racking the slide.
Which alone will scare off damn near anyone

post #30 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 11:09 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Guess you got tougher people down there, people usually ***** about the recoil of the .45 Colt. Fired one once, didnt bother me at all.

when you learn with big guns and regularly shoot a 1903 Springfield, only stuff attached to vehicles are big recoil to me.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in