Seriously considering another idea... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
CEO Red Sox Nation

Seriously considering another idea...

I have been saving for about 18 months for my new engine and transimssion setup and have the trans just about paid for and almost 6,000 dollars toward the engine setup.

The other night I was talking to my father and he brought up the question, "what if this engine blows up too"

I'd be out 7-9-K for that setup as well.

This got me thinking about just using the sick trans with an 02 up PI engine, and using the money I have for a low mileage Mercedes (Either the ML 430 or the S320) (Which I have wanted for a while).

I am torn as to what to think. I can only think about screwing up another engine, and being out all that money until I pay back the loan.

Dont really know why I am posting this, but maybe someone else whill chime in for some input....

I dunno, granted I have a good 6 months to decide, this is whats on my mind now.....wtf....lol

2003 Infiniti G35 Sport Package with Navigation

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 05:20 AM
Awaiting E-Mail Confirmation

Don't decide against something just because the motor could blow up. What if you use all your money on buying a Mercedes and then it blows up? It all boils down to what you want. Whatever you decide get, take care of it and it will take care of you.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 07:04 AM

Garage
Honestly, putting that much money into an 11 year old car for the purpose of using it as a daily driver as well as a weekend racer just isn't a smart idea. If you are doing this for the purposes of a hobby then that's fine but anything else is just not smart.

If you already have a dependable (subjective of course) daily driver then I would say that you would be better served by getting the '02+ PI engine and then replacing the bottom end on that. It won't cost you nearly as much and you should still have a very strong engine. From what I understand about those engines, the weakest parts are the crank, rods and pistons. Replace those and you have a strong engine without spending the big money right away. Also, you can get a strong 4R70W from Darrin/Alan for a pretty reasonable price and still be way under budget. Then, if you wanted to get crazy, you *might* have enough left over to put a SC on there.

Just some thoughts.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcBrideBoston
I have been saving for about 18 months for my new engine and transimssion setup and have the trans just about paid for and almost 6,000 dollars toward the engine setup.

The other night I was talking to my father and he brought up the question, "what if this engine blows up too"

I'd be out 7-9-K for that setup as well.

This got me thinking about just using the sick trans with an 02 up PI engine, and using the money I have for a low mileage Mercedes (Either the ML 430 or the S320) (Which I have wanted for a while).

I am torn as to what to think. I can only think about screwing up another engine, and being out all that money until I pay back the loan.

Dont really know why I am posting this, but maybe someone else whill chime in for some input....

I dunno, granted I have a good 6 months to decide, this is whats on my mind now.....wtf....lol

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, suddenly everything looks like a nail."
"Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious."
1992 Ford Thunderbird SC

Coast High Peformance 347 Stroker
-Low Tension Oil Rings, Zero Gap Seconds
-10.5:1 Compression Ratio
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
Trick Flow Street Heat Intake
Mac 1 5/8 long tube headers
FRPP 42# injectors
3.27 gears
Custom aluminum driveshaft
M5R2
Burned Chip for SN95 T4M0 ECM
OMGHI2U

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 07:14 AM
Birdless

Send a message via AIM to Grasshopper Send a message via Yahoo to Grasshopper
Quote:
"what if this engine blows up too"
...the sky is falling...

A man may smile and bid you hail
Yet wish you to the devil;
But when a good dog wags his tail,
You know he's on the level.
--author unknown
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 07:26 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
I agree 100% with what MaddMartigan said and I'll add this: IMHO, It is VERY hard to have a reliable car that is extremely fast. I’ve been down that road a couple of times and in every case, the hunt for more power bit into the drivability and reliability of the car.

Again, just my opinion, but the “problem” with the 1994+ MN12 (4.6L) platform is that to get any decent power and reliability it is just so, so expensive. Don’t get me wrong, I love the 4.6L (and applaud those that have nice setups), but when you compare it to it’s OHV brethren (5.0L), it is just not cost effective.

This is just my suggestion: Get the Mercedes (or Mark VIII), sell the 95 T’Bird, and get either an early (67 – 73 so it can handle a big block) Mustang or Cougar and play with that. You will get a lot more satisfaction and compliments on the early car than you ever will with the MN12, which sadly just doesn’t get any respect.

And an early Mustang/Cougar will have resell value, even if it has been modified... as long as you don't go too wild!

But that’s just my opinion and suggestion.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 07:01 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Thunder Canary
There was no finer automobile made than a Mercedes-Benz, in the mid 90's they started to cheap out but their maintenance costs didn't get any cheaper.

A nut is a nut and a bolt is a bolt. Wrench 'em off!

I used to dream about this car now I drive it- ditto
SVO Heads
SVO Intake
SHM cams
JE pistons
Eagle rods
Cobra crank
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 07:06 PM
PostWhore

The ML class is the shame of the Mercedes brand IMHO. They suffer from poor quality. Your chances of having problems with the ML are probably higher than having your "new engine" blow up. The S320 would be my pick as far as quality goes. But that 3.2 liter will suffer pulling the S platform as much as the 3.8 does pulling the MN12.
The good news is I believe they discontinued the 3.2 in the S class before MB quality went downhill. It's just a matter of finding one that wasn't used for a daily commute. Good luck.

Jim

Slightly Jerryfied...
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 08:26 PM
4th Gear Poster

Maybe you could get some form of agreed-value insurance. Allstate allows modifications under "custom equipment", so if something does happen then you'll be able to cover some of your losses (albeit not it if it's at the track). This was my plan before I bought the Taurus, but a paperwork glitch prevented it.

If it's performance you're after, a nice low-mileage C5 Z06 can be had for about the same price as the new Mustang GT's. Although the insurance premium would probably be a nightmare.

'99 Taurus 24V: daily driver/auto-xer
'95 Thunderbird LX V8: in the garage-"hibernating"
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 11:07 PM
Like Titles Matter

Really I think if hurting the motor is a big concern to you, keeping it NA makes the most sense. An NA 4.6 with a good rotating assembly in it is very unlikely to break unless you get stupid with RPMs.

1996 Thunderbird LX- [email protected] NA
1998 GT - [email protected]
2001 Lightning - [email protected]
1996 GT 248A - [email protected]?
2011 GT - [email protected] 180 MPH at the Texas Mile

generated by sloganizer.net
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
CEO Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdanner
Really I think if hurting the motor is a big concern to you, keeping it NA makes the most sense. An NA 4.6 with a good rotating assembly in it is very unlikely to break unless you get stupid with RPMs.
Good idea.....

Stupid being shifting over 6500?

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 07:18 AM
Resident 40th Anniversary Expert

Send a message via AIM to Shawn40th
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
This is just my suggestion: Get the Mercedes (or Mark VIII), sell the 95 T’Bird, and get either an early (67 – 73 so it can handle a big block) Mustang or Cougar and play with that. You will get a lot more satisfaction and compliments on the early car than you ever will with the MN12, which sadly just doesn’t get any respect.
Wow, thats exactly what I am doing. Except instead of a Mercedes I am looking at BMW 3 series or Infinity G35. Then get a older stang or about there for just a fun car. Nothing major at first, just weekend touring. Then when I am ready build it up for weekend touring and tearing it up. I've almost thought about just selling the bird and having a older car only. I mean any work is cheaper because no computer crap to deal with or any of the new stuff and I can live with a base model as far as new types of amenities if it ment driving a classic car. Especially since it's LA and no rust to worry about and it can actually be a daily driving, even in what they call winter out here.

As far as the Mercedes any of the newer, cheaper stuff I have heard are just expensive Chryslers with Mercedes repair prices. The more you pay the better the quality in the newere models, meaning less and less like a Chrysler. My firend had an MB430. was a nice vehicle over all but just not my thing. was surprisingly well on handeling. I don't know much about the S series from anything first hand. Actually a friend has an older one and it's not too bad, but its older. Was a pain to get work done too, even just breaks. That's why I tossed the Infinity into what I am looking at possibly. Because in the end it's just Nissan parts for that. But the BMW will still be expensive although I just love those cars.

Just my opinions there.

"People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people."

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII, LSC - Green/Tan Leather, Sunroof, etc. FOR SALE. Inquire within.

Current car: 1999 Corvette

The 40th Anniversary Tbird is gone. Her old website & CarDomain page

Senior Member of the 'B-Team'.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 07:45 AM
Formerly Fdawg97LX

Send a message via AIM to Fdawg03SVT
Dave,

if u get the MB make sure u get one thats still in warranty. otherwise bring plenty of lube and be prepared to bend over when you bring it in for repairs/maintenance.

if i was you i'd probably save the money and look for a newer car to build up and modify. cuz if you drop that transmission and $10k motor in the bird, the rest of the car is still going to bee 11 years old and have 100k+ miles on it. you'll be spending a lot more money on it than you think.

if u decide to buy a newer sports car let me know, cuz i know of a nice one for sale for cheap money.

Frank

2007 Dodge Ram 1500
2008 Suzuki GSX-R1000

Previous Rides:
2003 Suzuki GSX-R750
2003 Mustang Cobra 10th Anniversary - 11.2 @ 130
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6 - 13.7 @ 103
1993 Thunderbird LX 3.8 - Slow
1990 Thunderbird 3.8 - Slower
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
CEO Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fdawg03SVT
if u decide to buy a newer sports car let me know, cuz i know of a nice one for sale for cheap money.

Frank
Oh yea, Whats that?

Thanks

Dave

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 02:24 PM
Formerly Fdawg97LX

Send a message via AIM to Fdawg03SVT
Quote:
Oh yea, Whats that?

Thanks

Dave
my sisters bf (the one who's mother lives on your street). he's selling his 2001 Trans Am for $15k. car is mint, he baby's the hell out of it. he's the second owner, he got it 3 years ago with 6k on it and it now has 40k. the ls1 is a bad *** motor. its still pretty much stock (just a welded in muffler).

Frank

2007 Dodge Ram 1500
2008 Suzuki GSX-R1000

Previous Rides:
2003 Suzuki GSX-R750
2003 Mustang Cobra 10th Anniversary - 11.2 @ 130
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6 - 13.7 @ 103
1993 Thunderbird LX 3.8 - Slow
1990 Thunderbird 3.8 - Slower
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 04:18 PM
Like Titles Matter

Quote:
Good idea.....

Stupid being shifting over 6500?

That's probably a good arbitrary limit to set.

1996 Thunderbird LX- [email protected] NA
1998 GT - [email protected]
2001 Lightning - [email protected]
1996 GT 248A - [email protected]?
2011 GT - [email protected] 180 MPH at the Texas Mile

generated by sloganizer.net
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 05:08 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
my sisters bf (the one who's mother lives on your street). he's selling his 2001 Trans Am for $15k. car is mint, he baby's the hell out of it. he's the second owner, he got it 3 years ago with 6k on it and it now has 40k. the ls1 is a bad *** motor. its still pretty much stock (just a welded in muffler).
blasphemy!! *starts the rights of exorcism*

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in