Oil change today... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Oil change today...

So, I took my car to the ford dealer for an oil change today, only reason I decided to go to the dealership, was to get them to install my warrenty replacement brake/clutch pedal covers (IUP parts) So anyway, I'm sitting there reading a magazine, service advisor walks up to me and goes "How attached are you to your car"? I looked at him & said "What happened"? He goes "Well, you have coolant in your oil...."

So I asked him to show me....we walk out, the mechanic drains the oil....it was DARK DARK DARK DARK DARK DARK brown, kinda soupy/muddy/rusty looking, but I didn't see a hit of green anywhere, like they said they saw....I watched him drain every last drop of oil out of the oil pan.....the oil was as I described....but doesen't the 04 V6 stang use red coolant? The other thing....the coolant resavour is LOW....the coolant level in the resavour is about at the maximum low mark on the tank....So what do you guys think? They ran a preassure check....came back normal. This would be covered under warrenty, so no cost to me, if there really is a problem. Do the 99+ 3.8 engines have headgasket issues?

Earl

2015 Mustang GT Premium / Manual / 3.55 / Recaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 01:46 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Midnight
I think that it is to soon to tell if the new engines have head gasket problems.

Why would he ask if you were attached if it is covered under warranty.

I would be like "So wheres my rental car?" I would also plan on turning that rental car in, in absolutly the same condition as I rented it.

Sprtnlax14: i was was up at 4:30 to hunt
LtlLinds424: you did NOT just say hunt
Sprtnlax14: whatever, the day you become a vegan we'll talk
LtlLinds424: the day that you stop only spitting game and not producing girls in your bed... we'll talk

My Dragons
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 01:47 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to lightevergreenfrost
I didn't think any V6 stang had HG problems. I thought it was only the MN-12 Bird/Cougars due to the lack of exhuast flow (so Ive been told). I never heard of the Stangs having this problem. And yes, the coolant should be a reddish/orange color.

T-Bird Registry Number 27526
My Car Domain Site
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2282851
My Space:
http://www.myspace.com/jordonjones
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 03:04 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Usually when coolant mixes with oil, it becomes a light brown chocolate milk colored liquid, not dark brown like you said. But the coolant does have to be going somewhere. Maybe fill up the oil and coolant, and drive for a week or so and when the coolant level goes down a bit see if the oil level is any higher than when you filled it up. If it is, then probably a head gasket. If not, look somewhere else for the coolant leak. Then again, if it is covered under warranty, the "where's my loaner car" approach is probably your best bet. You really have nothing to lose.

Mike

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 03:32 PM
Veteran Poster

if your getting a new car/motor i'd jump on he chance. most of time with failed motors under warranty the dealership will not even crack open the motor, simply replace it and send it out to be varifed, if there isn't a porblem the dealership will have to pick up the tab insted of ford; so no worries to you.

the reason for early 3.8 HG 'common' failure was due to lack of head bolts to hold the head to the block, a problem that was fixed in the mid 90's

All MN12/FN10 PA/NJ/MD/DE/NY people please check out: TSTaCC, feel free to register & say hi

'Krissy' 1997 Thunderbird LX Sport 281ci
Custom doesn't come in a Box
Slide or Die

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in