482803.2 - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Trumpeter Extraordinaire

The odometer on my car passed that mark as I drove back from a production of West Side Story Thursday night.

It's significant number, I believe. That's the metric equivalent of 300,000 miles (miles times 1.609344 = kilometers).

No doubt there's more to come. "Next stop: a half-million kilometers."

The car'll get there a lot sooner when I get back into the "hobby job"/daytime work force.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 12:33 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to FasTBird232 Send a message via MSN to FasTBird232 Send a message via Skype™ to FasTBird232
Holy crap. Congrats!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 12:35 AM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to Last Mrk Send a message via Skype™ to Last Mrk
What kind of engine tranny work have you had done to it.

There's a guy on the LOD website forum that has 375,000 miles on original tranny and engine.

Click Here

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 07:20 AM
Birdless

Send a message via AIM to Grasshopper Send a message via Yahoo to Grasshopper
That's some big-time seat time, Pete!

A man may smile and bid you hail
Yet wish you to the devil;
But when a good dog wags his tail,
You know he's on the level.
--author unknown
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Trumpeter Extraordinaire

Engine: original, with some upgrades, and a few replacement items. The car has a RichardM intake, K&N panel filter, an Apten chip, a 180° 'stat, and no air silencer. I installed new OEM fuel injectors and rail this past spring, just for the sake of it.

Other items of note: A few years ago - oil filter mount/gasket replaced, tensioner replaced, Dynomax exhaust installed. A couple years ago -- water pump and radiator replaced, underdrive pulleys. Within the past year -- PBR front brakes, engine mounts and oil pan gasket.

Transmission: "kind of" original. Never replaced, but it was worked on a few years ago at 178,000 miles. The parts description on the invoice read "Master Repair Kit" and "Overhaul Kit" with "Upgraded Parts." When an auxillary cooler was installed and J-mod was performed a year later, I noticed that the parts needed for the valve body were already installed. Amsoil transmission fluid is what I have used ever since.

Routine maintenance items: plugs, wires, belt, EGR/DPFE stuff and other sensors, hoses, flushes, filters, fluids, battery, brake pads/shoes, rotors, tires, etc.

Additional repair items: control arms, tie rods, shocks, springs, power antenna, LH window motor, blower motor, blower motor speed control, A/C hoses, compressor, condenser, accumulator, windshield, fuel door switch, headlight switch, front and rear window reveal mouldings, LH LED taillight, LH door lock actuator.

Some fun stuff: SC seats, power antenna switch, 220kph speedometer, wider tires, bug deflector, OEM CD player, carpeting, fog lights, heavier-duty headlight harness, headlamp assemblies, clear cornering lamps assemblies, incomplete window tinting, tachometer which states "Premium Fuel Only."

I'm certain I haven't listed everything, but, if you take care of the car, it'll keep running well.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 01:37 PM
PostWhore

Wow, that beats my 351,XXX. Congrats man, keep rackin then up

"She aint a Cadillac and she aint a Rolls, but there aint nothin wrong with the radio"

Of course everyone loves a hard worker, they do all the work!

90 LS - gone damn city drivers
93 Explorer XL 2dr 4x4 - totalled does anyone in that f*ckin city know how to drive

OK, that was twice in 6 months, red means STOP
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 10:02 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to lightevergreenfrost
And I thought 175,000 miles was a lot. My friends freak when they see that, I think theyd die if it were near 300,000 miles.

T-Bird Registry Number 27526
My Car Domain Site
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2282851
My Space:
http://www.myspace.com/jordonjones
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 10:40 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to FasTBird232 Send a message via MSN to FasTBird232 Send a message via Skype™ to FasTBird232
I keep telling my g/f we're stuck with the Grand Prix until 250,000, but with road salt every winter I highly doubt it. How did you keep yours rust free this long?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Trumpeter Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastBird232
I keep telling my g/f we're stuck with the Grand Prix until 250,000, but with road salt every winter I highly doubt it. How did you keep yours rust free this long?
Well...it's not totally rust free. Holes developed at the "forward side" of the rear wheel wells (rocker panel area?)....a year apart! I patched one with fiberglass a couple summers ago (didn't do a great job, either), then the other appeared the following year. I may patch the other sometime. Now, more rust is appearing at the "door end" of the LH rocker panel.

Another rust area developed in the right rear passenger floorboard. I discovered that the rubber stopper/cap underneath that area on the underside of the car had popped out, allowing water in. I reseated the cap, treated the area for rust, and used the fiberglass patch on the floorboard.

Undercarriage washes are a regular item for this car.

Last edited by IronChopz; 01-01-2006 at 09:18 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 10:57 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

i just fixed the rear passenger floor in my 92 , the plug fell out due to the area being rusted out. welded a new panel in . and rtv'd it and i just finished painting it last night . then i discovered a small hole in the driverside front on one of the braces. expanding foam here we come! the hole is right over the subframe rail . luckliy the only other rot problem on this car is the lower left fender. its a never ending battle. and i have to clean and paint the bottoms of the doors too .

64 ford galaxie -FE powered beast!- sleeping giant
69 cougar standard- 347/c6 -efi restomod, heidts prog 4 link heavily modified front, custom strutrods boxed lowers rollerperches 620 lowering springs! meier shock tower brace
96 f150 supercab lifted beast! 351 powered beast
87 shasta roadmaster 29ft travel trailer- pimpdaddy camping!
mn12 less!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Trumpeter Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk89cat
....its a never ending battle....
Very much so. As much as I like the car, and the driving of it, it's not built to last forever. Doggone rust!

But, it costs less to do the repairs than it does to buy a new car, and cough up monthly payments again.

Hopefully soon, I'll be back in the workforce, and be able to save a few dollars to tackle some of those rust areas better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in