If you live in North Eastern Ohio... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

If you live in North Eastern Ohio...

I heard that Cuyahoga county(Cleveland, Ohio) no longer requires vehicle an E-Check to get new tags. If this is true it great news! I have a 94 Cougar with no exhaust after the first two cats and don't have the money to put an exhaust on that beast!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 11:06 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to Evil95GT
Where did you hear that? I'm just curious, because I live in Lorain County and have Collector's plates on all but one of our Stangs. E check is the biggest PITA ever, and I swear, it's fixed any way. I wish they'd get rid of it all together.

Michelle
95 Mustang GT - finally happy with it
89 Mustang LX - fat slug, but it runs awesome
94 Thunderbird SC - For sale
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 11:31 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Ricerbird
whats e-check
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 11:33 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricerbird
whats e-check
It's the State of Ohio's emissions test. Basically, they put your car on dyno style rollers, put a stick in the tailpipes, and run the piss out of the car. It's the biggest joke ever...........new cars fail more often than older cars, and modded ones pass easier than stock ones. Go figure.

Michelle
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 11:37 PM
PostWhore

oh we aint got nothin like that here. the only places that do it here are like chicago i think. good for me though cuz i got straight pipe from the two front cats out to a resonator race tip. and in a while im thinkin on goin to high flows or just straight pipe. sucks to be you though man. im glad we dont got that kinda thing here.

so what do they do if you dont pass ?? do you gotta hit up an exhaust shop really quick
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 12:03 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricerbird
oh we aint got nothin like that here. the only places that do it here are like chicago i think. good for me though cuz i got straight pipe from the two front cats out to a resonator race tip. and in a while im thinkin on goin to high flows or just straight pipe. sucks to be you though man. im glad we dont got that kinda thing here.

so what do they do if you dont pass ?? do you gotta hit up an exhaust shop really quick
If you fail, you don't have to pay the fee. When you return for a retest, you have to show what repairs were made to improve your emissions. If you spend $200, you can get a waiver and they'll let you get your yearly registration. Otherwise, no dice.

Michelle
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 07:37 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

It's not state wide. It goes by city. I'm in Columbus, no emissions testing here. (Thank goodness)

Mike

- DOHC 4.6
- 4.56 Trac-Loc
- DirtyDog Converter (3,800)
- SCT Micro Tuner from Blue Oval Chips
- 13.24 @ 103mph

ToombsRacing.com
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 09:13 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toombs
It's not state wide. It goes by city. I'm in Columbus, no emissions testing here. (Thank goodness)

Mike
No checks here either. I think it's only the Cleveland and Akron area (at least in this quarter of the state.)

Night was dark, but the sky was blue,
Down the alley, the ice-wagon flew,
Heard a bump, and somebody screamed,
You should have heard just what I seen.

Who do you love?

-Bo Diddley
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 09:31 AM
4th Gear Poster

The only change to echeck was that starting this year it is free, even if the car passes.

Karl
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 09:52 AM
MN12 Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Tony Send a message via MSN to Tony Send a message via Yahoo to Tony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenich
The only change to echeck was that starting this year it is free, even if the car passes.

Karl
Dang, be nice if they just completely got rid of it!

For OBDII cars (96+), they just plug into the connector and scan the system. If there aren't any codes or signs of anything wrong, you are good to go.

Sold - 1997 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 Sport - Full bolt on, PI stuff, gears, converter, exhaust, full suspension & many other things.

2007 MUSTANG GT (5M) - 504rwhp/449rwtq
- Paxton NOVI 2200 H.O. (10psi) - CMDP's - 127200 Comp Cams - BBK LT's - O/R X - FRPP GTA's - Mid Atlantic Tuned - FRPP 4.10's - Truetrac - Moser Axles - McLeod RST - Fidanza Steel FW - Eibach Pro Kit - J&M LCA's - UMI Relo. Brackets - Spohn Adj. PHB - Prothane Motor Mounts - Hawk HPS Pads - 19" Sport Edition KV5 Rims - Hankook Ventus V12 Evo Tires
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 10:49 AM
PostWhore

i think they only do it in big cities where there are alot of cars and pollution. but here in decatur we are a decent sized city. but we also have acouple ADM factories and a HUGE staley factory. so the ammount of pollution here isnt measured by the cars. those two factoies are always putting stuff in the air 24/7 (at least i live across town from them) but ADM has like 3-4 huge factories within a 5 mile radius.

and for that we have earned the name "the soy capitol city of the world" wich is true but if you got allergies done ever come here.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 11:04 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Drive XR7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil95GT
Where did you hear that? I'm just curious, because I live in Lorain County and have Collector's plates on all but one of our Stangs. E check is the biggest PITA ever, and I swear, it's fixed any way. I wish they'd get rid of it all together.
Look at you, invading my forums.

Welcome!

Jason
2003 SVT Mustang Cobra #5364
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1991 Mercury Cougar XR7 5.0L - SOLD!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 02:04 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive XR7
Look at you, invading my forums.

Welcome!
Thanks Jason! I wondered how long it would take me to find you.

Michelle
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 03:26 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to shaggy433 Send a message via MSN to shaggy433 Send a message via Yahoo to shaggy433
im glad we dont have that in Erie County!!! I would fail horribly!!!!
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 04:56 PM
Resident redneck

Send a message via AIM to redneckcougarguy Send a message via MSN to redneckcougarguy
to bad we still have that retarded gas cap check, thats why i failed when i first bought the car

-Steven

Project Rust Prevention: 1990 Buick Regal, Toilet Capacity engine, new trim paint, 57K miles
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Okay, so its just free? Wow with the economy it would make more sense to get rid of in that case. Well I guess no dual exhaust
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 01:54 PM
4th Gear Poster

I wouldn't sweat anything like duel exhaust. I had my Mark VIII in running a 13.7 (All the usual bolt ons) and it would pass with half the alloted emissions. I have never had a car fail (except that gas cap that was mentioned).

In extreme cases (like a V8 fiero or if your going to build your 5.0) you can get collector plates or say you live in another county.

Karl
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 02:34 PM
MN12 Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Tony Send a message via MSN to Tony Send a message via Yahoo to Tony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenich
I wouldn't sweat anything like duel exhaust. I had my Mark VIII in running a 13.7 (All the usual bolt ons) and it would pass with half the alloted emissions. I have never had a car fail (except that gas cap that was mentioned).

In extreme cases (like a V8 fiero or if your going to build your 5.0) you can get collector plates or say you live in another county.

Karl
Well the thing is, he bought the car from our buddy who went to the airforce . And the thing has no exhaust at all. It is cut right after the primary cats! And the original exhuast is history.

Our buddy had planned on getting an exhaust for it but figured it wasn't worth it since he will be leaving in a short time.

And Joe, the thing will still pass emissions with only two cats! So go ahaed and do what I did. Get true duals ran after the primary cats at that exhaust shop that I went to! Remember? the one by Space? get a 30 day tag, so you have time to get that taken care of...

Sold - 1997 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 Sport - Full bolt on, PI stuff, gears, converter, exhaust, full suspension & many other things.

2007 MUSTANG GT (5M) - 504rwhp/449rwtq
- Paxton NOVI 2200 H.O. (10psi) - CMDP's - 127200 Comp Cams - BBK LT's - O/R X - FRPP GTA's - Mid Atlantic Tuned - FRPP 4.10's - Truetrac - Moser Axles - McLeod RST - Fidanza Steel FW - Eibach Pro Kit - J&M LCA's - UMI Relo. Brackets - Spohn Adj. PHB - Prothane Motor Mounts - Hawk HPS Pads - 19" Sport Edition KV5 Rims - Hankook Ventus V12 Evo Tires
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 09:51 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Here's my take on e-check.

On our '95 Mustangs, each one required a passing e check certificate to obtain the collector's plates. My husband's 95 is a Kenne Bell blown car. His car passed with minimal readings. My '95 had heads, cam, intake, and all the smog equipment removed, except for the cats. The car passed with a reading three times as high as the KB car. Now, our '89........we had it tested once bone stock. The readings came out to around 24%. Took the car back 2 years later (June 2005) with heads, cam, intake, and every bolt on known to man. The result? 3% pollution. That's why I swear up and down it's "fixed".......no way in hell does that '89 run cleaner now than it did bone stock. And mileage isn't a factor. It had 15,300 original the first time around, and now has 18,000.

Michelle
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 06:05 PM
Pimp in denial

still got it in Lake County as far as I know. sucks too because i have a CEL that i have to fix before i can take it there in april. biggest waste of time/$30 i spent.

-Aaron
FaceBook
2002 Matte Yellow Wrapped Mustang GT
383rwhp/400rwtq
Vortech Supercharged/Kooks Long Tube Headers/X-pipe/Bassani Catback/H&R Lowering Springs/Anderson Power Pipe/SVE Series 1 18x9.5/18x10.5 Wheels
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 07:24 PM
Resident redneck

Send a message via AIM to redneckcougarguy Send a message via MSN to redneckcougarguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollies9d6
still got it in Lake County as far as I know. sucks too because i have a CEL that i have to fix before i can take it there in april. biggest waste of time/$30 i spent.
just get some paint and paint over it.

-Steven

Project Rust Prevention: 1990 Buick Regal, Toilet Capacity engine, new trim paint, 57K miles
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 08:31 PM
Pimp in denial

if only it were that easy.

-Aaron
FaceBook
2002 Matte Yellow Wrapped Mustang GT
383rwhp/400rwtq
Vortech Supercharged/Kooks Long Tube Headers/X-pipe/Bassani Catback/H&R Lowering Springs/Anderson Power Pipe/SVE Series 1 18x9.5/18x10.5 Wheels
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 07:31 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to 96lxcorey
Funny thing is.The state only gets 50 cents of the test fee.The rest goes to the company performing the test.Whats really aggrevating is that Columbus fought for it but were the first to give it the axe in the state.
I remember the first time I had the bird tested.They pulled the front wheels on the rollers at first.Got his attention just in time before he hit the gas.They have some real "winners" working there at times.Used to have a Nissan 4x4 and they had that thing bouncing all over the place.
I put my vote in to give the E-check the big ol' axe.

corey

Excuses are just that.......excuses
9 out of 10 times your gut feeling wont steer you wrong
1997 Sport
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 08:07 AM
6th Gear Poster

Cinncinati, OH still has E-check and I believe parts of Dayton may as well.

Shane

Shane Glynn SCCA Member number: 328085_0
2008 SCCA OVR C Prepared Champion
'92 Thunderbird SC 5.0L (35CP) Sponsored by AAA Ohio Auto Club
'99 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer

Corner workers run and hide in fear when they see me take course

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in