Online college WHAT DO YOU THINK? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Online college WHAT DO YOU THINK?

So I am going to bite the bullet and get my BS in Electrical eng. But I have to get my gen ed out the way. has any one heard of the NAU ( National American University)? I am out on a island (San Clemente island) durring the next three years. Online studies is the only option for me. So, I figured I would ask you all what you thought.

2011 Kia Sorrento
1996 T-bird
*SOLD* 2007 Suzuki M50

Looking for a new ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 02:53 PM
6th Gear Poster

I think online schooling is a great option. I do it myself. But you have to be very disciplined or else you get way behind, really fast. You don't have that interaction with the instructor which can make learning a little more difficult. You are pretty much teaching yourself with a little guidance.

I say go for it.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 03:37 PM
Birdless

Send a message via AIM to Grasshopper Send a message via Yahoo to Grasshopper
I think that if the school from which you eventually get your degree accepts the credits from that school, then by all means. My brother is doing online courses and loves it.

A man may smile and bid you hail
Yet wish you to the devil;
But when a good dog wags his tail,
You know he's on the level.
--author unknown
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 06:39 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to whitecoug
I would have to agree that you need to be VERY self disciplined. I took an online trig class my freshman year here (one of those I didn't do well enough on my entrance exam things...) and it was extrememly difficult to get the stuff done for that...even though it was only trig...along with taking actual classes (Ag Engr...similar to mechanical engr). I also took Bio 109 (easier than HS Bio) and did very poorly in that as well. Some of the classes that I have taken I personally would not take online, but that is just me. You will loose some of the valuable hands on lab time by doing classes online, but if you feel you can make it through that many onlines, by all means have at it. I know some people are 9-5ers and can't make regular classes and in your case, off shore, and that is the only option. Just my $0.02

Joe

1994 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L Special Edition

PnP'd NPIs, PI Cams, PI intake, 80mm GT MAF, 24# Injectors, Shorty Headers, SCT Tuned, Jmod, Trans Cooler, 3.73's, Underdrives, Zex Dry kit 75 shot, Dirtydog TC, Trans built by Darrin, 97 Cupholders

219 RWHP/256 RWTQ NA
280 RWHP/343 RWTQ Bottle Fed (75 shot)
[email protected] mph 5/20/06

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Thanks Guys...I am 33 and have found my disciplin working in the navy. So I figure if I put 3 hours a night it will be all good. Thanks agian...

Eric

2011 Kia Sorrento
1996 T-bird
*SOLD* 2007 Suzuki M50

Looking for a new ride!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 06:23 AM
CEO Red Sox Nation

I have taken almost half of my college courses online and depending on the course I find it alot better than attending school physically.

Stuff like Math and English or ANY LAB Class I wouldn't recommend online, but any other course would work IMO. I took a Science Lab online and it was the worst experience ever in school for me.

But like Grasshopper said, as long as your final graduating school will accept the colleges credits, Go for it!

Good Luck

--Dave

2003 Infiniti G35 Sport Package with Navigation

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 11:56 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Trick Bird
My friend finished his last semester online an he liked it. Plus you can cheat all you want.

95' lx 4.6
true dual exhaust, mass air, 9 in k&n, 3:73 posi, 9mm ford racing wires, screamin demon coils, solid rubber trans mount, cobra r hood, clear corners, chrome bullit replicas.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 12:04 PM
CEO Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick Bird
Plus you can cheat all you want.

2003 Infiniti G35 Sport Package with Navigation

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 01:55 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak Chick
I don't know what school you guys are going through but there is no way to cheat with what i'm doing. It's tons of papers and someone sitting over your shoulder watching you take your finals (that are not open book). Doing my degree online is the best option for me right now. It does take a lot of discipline. Good luck!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 07:06 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Online classes can be great but I am in my final year of my electrical engineering degree. You just simply can't get all the knowledge you need for these classes online. With many other majors it's very do-able, read some books write a few papers no big deal. EE or any other engineering degree is a completely different ball game. You NEED to have a teacher there and some in class instruction for a good deal of the classes. What would be done about labs??? I would say get the gen ed classes out of the way online and go to a real school for engineering, you will be much better off. BE prepared for MANY MANY hours of work for engineering, it isn't easy.

95 LSC- Mods: 2.5 dual exhaust, 3.73s, 17x9 cobra R Rims, SCT dyno tune, MM driveshaft, 249 rwhp/ 268 ft lb tq
97 Base- Mods: Forged motor, Eaton m112, 2.76 pully, too many mods to list..........
My Car Domain Page
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 04:31 AM
6th Gear Poster

I've beet thinking about getting a job that requires basic electrical and electronic knowledge. The company's website recommended heathkit for online schooling. I'm thinking of going ahead with it before too much longer.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 07:07 PM
4th Gear Poster

funderbird, I see you are 33 years old, so I'll assume you've been in the Navy for a few years. And, since you're going to San Clemente, probably some kind of a tech rate.

I got my BS in Liberal Studies from New York Regents College, which is now Excelsior College. I'm a nuke, so I had a lot of elective credits from the nuclear power training pipeline, and I was an EM1 at the time, and they gave a ton of credits for military experience, too.

I took the five CLEP general exams, including the English Comp with essay, to get the freshman year Gen Ed requirements done. That knocked out 30 Semester hours, and I had enough overall from the military experience/schools to get me over the required 120 sem-hrs, but I still needed 25 upper level credits (nuke power school was only worth a few). Regents let me take GRE Subject exams to get the upper level credits. I took Sociology, Revised Education, and History, and I got 42 upper level credits, plus some more lowers (some areas of these three exams overlap credit-wise).

Keep in mind, I did this the first time I was on shore duty, back in 1996. I was stationed in Bangor WA, working in the nuclear repair department at the time. My hours weren't stable, with occasional shift work, and my wife and I had a newborn baby at the time. Testing out of everything seemed a logical move for me. I don't think I'm the smartest nuke in the ocean, but I've always been good at multiple choice exams. The CLEP English Comp exam wasn't any harder than the stuff I did in high school Comp (thank you, Iowa school systems!). The total amount of time I spent taking exams was less than 20 hours, and I put maybe 2-3 hours into the ARCO CLEP study guide (Humanities section). Due to the frequency of test dates between the Bangor sub base and the shipyard in Bremerton, I was able to get everything done in six months. I spent ZERO hours in an actual college classroom.

Have you looked at NKO yet? Thomas Edison also offers some good programs, with some actual courses required. For my world, Nuclear Engineering Technology seems to be popular, but I just wanted a BS, and I wasn't too picky about what.

97 LX, 4.6, Dynomax catback, Mustang MAF/intake tube and Aviator throttle body, Xcalibrator2 by Lonnie at BOC, 180 t-stat, Super Coupe wheels with 235/60/16's, Kenny Brown strut tower brace, Tokico Blues, Eibach Pro-kit, some strategically placed MN12 Performance polyurethane pieces, '02 Grand Marquis transmission

Submariners do it deeper...
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 09:11 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak Chick
I'm working on my degree for a Bachelor's in Psychology through Thomas Edison. They are a great school. I'm in the Coast Guard so all my electives were credited for training I've done. There are a ton of colleges that work with the military. Funderbird if you are in the military take to your education officer and they can give you all the info.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in