Took an 02 Mustang GT for a test drive... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
MN12 Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Tony Send a message via MSN to Tony Send a message via Yahoo to Tony
Took an 02 Mustang GT for a test drive...

Well guys, I am in search of a 99-04 Mustang GT 5-Speed. And YES I am still keeping the T-Bird... so don't worry....LOL!

But anyways I drove a "GT" for the first time today and I can't beleive how much better the T-Birds handling and steering is! The GT felt so sloppy (solid axle ) and has less of a turning radius than my bird. Of course I have eibachs and konis but even when I was stock with the sport suspension, it still had the edge over the GT IMO. I'm sure cobras and the new GT's are much better though.

My T-Bird also has better "part throttle" response (due to my mods). But at WOT the GT would definatly take the bird.

Comfort... hahahaha, you can't even compare a Stang to a T-Bird in this department. I felt "squished" and had no support (not much in the bird either though). All the conrtrols where far away and where out of reach. It felt great to get back into the bird. Definatly something I will have to get used too. I am sure that me only driving T-Birds since I began driving has something to do with this. Beccause I kept trying to place my arms/hands where I place them in the bird and it would just not work...LOL The windows are MUCH smaller. the car does feel "cheaper" too. But hey it's a Mustang.

Now the reason I am getting a GT is well, the bird needs a rest and my wife and I need a second car in order to do "major work" to the Bird. Plus I want something that will I will actually be be somewhat easy to make some power, quick ET's and a stick. The T-Bird just seems to be falling apart and starting to rust. Everything is breaking or just stops working. The interior is getting nasty and needs to be completely redone. So I am going to keep the bird and slowly get it fixed up. I just want something newer without as many problems, cleaner and no rust. Plus in VA cars do not see much salt as in Ohio. So I figure it would be better to buy one here than back at home. Eventually we will be moving back to Cleveland (in like 5 years or so)

All the Stang needs is some suspension mods and it will hang with the bird in the handing area though. It definatly needs more power too. I was expecting a bit more from it. Driving it actually made me proud of the Bird, cus I thought my bird was "slow" compared to a 99-04 GT. But it really isn't to far behind!

Anyone have any thoughts/opinions/recomendations on me getting a Mustang GT? I found a few for $12-13k with 25k-36k miles around here.

.... zips up flame jacket for attempting to buy a stang....LOL

Also am looking for a cobra in that range of years. I just don't want to give 2 legs for the car and 2 arms for insurance!

Sold - 1997 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 Sport - Full bolt on, PI stuff, gears, converter, exhaust, full suspension & many other things.

2007 MUSTANG GT (5M) - 504rwhp/449rwtq
- Paxton NOVI 2200 H.O. (10psi) - CMDP's - 127200 Comp Cams - BBK LT's - O/R X - FRPP GTA's - Mid Atlantic Tuned - FRPP 4.10's - Truetrac - Moser Axles - McLeod RST - Fidanza Steel FW - Eibach Pro Kit - J&M LCA's - UMI Relo. Brackets - Spohn Adj. PHB - Prothane Motor Mounts - Hawk HPS Pads - 19" Sport Edition KV5 Rims - Hankook Ventus V12 Evo Tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 10:09 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to 96CougarXR7 Send a message via Yahoo to 96CougarXR7
Not to long ago I test drove a 99 GT convertible and I did feel a little compacted but it has a lot more go than my Cat. I also noticed that everything was farther away that it is in my car. It's only 8,000 so I'm thinking about getting it.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 11:42 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to Evil95GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony
.... zips up flame jacket for attempting to buy a stang....LOL
Jeez..........is this like a widespread hatrid of Mustangs in these parts? This is the second comment I've seen in one night regarding Mustangs being the big suxxor. In any event, I guess I'm on the wrong side of the tracks. My husband and I have three Mustangs, but we adore MN12s. I feel like the dentist elf in Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer.

I can agree that the MN12 is *always* going to beat the Mustang in the comfort department. You totally can't beat the ride quality of a Thunderbird/Cougar/Mark VIII, and it's all in a nice, sporty package.

To tell the truth, the suspension in my '89 LX is pretty stiff, but that car is a Vert. In my '95, it's a drag suspension, so I can't really compare the stock ride (it's been so long I can't even remember).

Modification-wise, I think you'd be happy with it. It always chapped my *** that my buddy's 99 GT would hand our 5 liters their asses, stock for stock.

Michelle
95 Mustang GT - finally happy with it
89 Mustang LX - fat slug, but it runs awesome
94 Thunderbird SC - For sale
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
MN12 Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Tony Send a message via MSN to Tony Send a message via Yahoo to Tony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil95GT
Jeez..........is this like a widespread hatrid of Mustangs in these parts? This is the second comment I've seen in one night regarding Mustangs being the big suxxor. In any event, I guess I'm on the wrong side of the tracks. My husband and I have three Mustangs, but we adore MN12s. I feel like the dentist elf in Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer.

I can agree that the MN12 is *always* going to beat the Mustang in the comfort department. You totally can't beat the ride quality of a Thunderbird/Cougar/Mark VIII, and it's all in a nice, sporty package.

To tell the truth, the suspension in my '89 LX is pretty stiff, but that car is a Vert. In my '95, it's a drag suspension, so I can't really compare the stock ride (it's been so long I can't even remember).

Modification-wise, I think you'd be happy with it. It always chapped my *** that my buddy's 99 GT would hand our 5 liters their asses, stock for stock.
Well you have to see it from an MN12 ONLY owners view...LOL. We get no respect or recognition. Mustangs hog it all! In 99% percent of Ford magazines, all you see is Stangs, stangs, stangs and a few other fords on occasion. So we have to defend ourselves and fight for the little aftermarket we have. Not many will give the MN12 a chance. Some don't even know it is rear wheel drive and comes with a V8.

We are just a rare breed and have to stick up for the MN12's. It's not hatrid towards Stangs, maybe jelousy??? LOL We are kind of like a big dog trapped in the corner by 1,000 cats.... LOL!

But nothing personal, I love stangs and MN12's. I just wish that people would give the MN12 a chance... kinda hard being that they aren't even in production anymore, but then again neither are Foxbodys.

One thing to remember... It will almost always be harder to do it on a T-Bird than a Mustang! We are like the one legged step child. We get the hand me downs from the Mustang and have to "make things work" that aren't even made to work with mn12's.

LOL, and this coming from a guy about to buy a Mustang....

Sold - 1997 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 Sport - Full bolt on, PI stuff, gears, converter, exhaust, full suspension & many other things.

- Paxton NOVI 2200 H.O. (10psi) - CMDP's - 127200 Comp Cams - BBK LT's - O/R X - FRPP GTA's - Mid Atlantic Tuned - FRPP 4.10's - Truetrac - Moser Axles - McLeod RST - Fidanza Steel FW - Eibach Pro Kit - J&M LCA's - UMI Relo. Brackets - Spohn Adj. PHB - Prothane Motor Mounts - Hawk HPS Pads - 19" Sport Edition KV5 Rims - Hankook Ventus V12 Evo Tires
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 12:08 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I like my mustang, but here's my gripe(s) about it

-interior is cramped, not ergonomic, and things are hard to get at.
-ROAD NOISE! that car is noisy!
-rough ride (and it's gonna get worse if I do any suspension mods)
-IT'S SLOW! (okay well, it's a V6 so I can't complain about that and it's faster than the focus)
-INSURANCE IS EXPENSIVE! (remember that--your younger than I am and how is your driving record?)
-IT IS A COP MAGENT!

Here's what I like about it
-Chicks dig it
-People WILL give you positive comments/compliments
-It is widely accepted as a "cool" car
-random strangers will start conversation with you becuase of it
-they're fun and modding them is E-A-S-Y (funds permitting)

Now I want a V8 thunderbird again instead of a V8 mustang

2015 Mustang GT Premium / Manual / 3.55 / Recaro
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
MN12 Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I like my mustang, but here's my gripe(s) about it

-interior is cramped, not ergonomic, and things are hard to get at.
-ROAD NOISE! that car is noisy!
-rough ride (and it's gonna get worse if I do any suspension mods)
-IT'S SLOW! (okay well, it's a V6 so I can't complain about that and it's faster than the focus)
-INSURANCE IS EXPENSIVE! (remember that--your younger than I am and how is your driving record?)
-IT IS A COP MAGENT!

Here's what I like about it
-Chicks dig it
-People WILL give you positive comments/compliments
-It is widely accepted as a "cool" car
-random strangers will start conversation with you becuase of it
-they're fun and modding them is E-A-S-Y (funds permitting)

Now I want a V8 thunderbird again instead of a V8 mustang
I will have both, so when I am mad at the Stang, I will hop in the bird! LOL

I've driven a V6 Stang at work and that thing is WAY slower than the GT and handles much worse than the GT too!! No offense, but I do feel bad for ya...LOL j/k man, it's not a bad car. But I sure bet you miss your Bird! How many miles are on your Stang?

I am aware of the insurance issue. Getting a quote tomorrow and it will be in both of our names (wife and I) and added onto our policy with the Bird (currently 116/month). Rough ride is no issue... you should ride in my bird with my stiff a$$ suspension!

As for the road noise, didn't really notice it on the test drive. It seemed a lot quieter than my bird. No sqeaks or rattles. Thats another thing with the Bird. At it's old age it is getting NOISY! The stiff suspension doesn't help!

Thanks for the opinions! Keep 'em coming!

Last edited by Tony; 01-22-2006 at 12:30 AM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 12:58 AM
Jedi Master

yeah driving the newer cobras, well at least the ones with irs, are very fun

-Orlando

friends don't let friends drive Chevy
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 01:15 AM
Back in Black

Administrator

I drove an 02, it was slow.

R.I.P. Joel Bender 07/30/79 - 03/26/06
R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975-2011

1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6 AED 349.27RWHP/391.29RWTQ Engine Build Exterior shots
2002 Thunderbird Premium Triple Black 3.9
2015 Fusion Energi SE Luxury Magnetic Gray
*SCRAPPED* 1994 LX 4.6 NA [email protected] 236.07RWHP/286.26RWTQ
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 02:28 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to Evil95GT
Tony,
I see what you're saying about the lack of attention. I *always* wanted a new MN12, and when my chance was there in 1995, I bought the freakin Mustang instead. For what I ended up doing with the car, I'm sure I'm better off now, but by the same token, had I bought the SC, I'd probably still own it, I'd have still dumped insane cash on mods, and I'd have been much more original. As I just told a really nice guy in a PM, Ford's second biggest **** up (first being discontinuing the hotselling MN12) was NOT producing the SVT 'Bird. Interesting story about that if y'all wanna hear.

Michelle
95 Mustang GT - finally happy with it
89 Mustang LX - fat slug, but it runs awesome
94 Thunderbird SC - For sale
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 02:35 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Juice Send a message via MSN to Juice Send a message via Yahoo to Juice
Thunderbirds are like the slower, fat older brother, and Mustangs are like the athletic, younger brother. Unfortunately, the baby always gets all the attention. But on occasion there is someone willing to give the fat-boy some love, and that is what keeps us going.

~Chuck

I put the sexy in dyslexia.
Chaos Journey
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 03:55 AM
Resident redneck

Send a message via AIM to redneckcougarguy Send a message via MSN to redneckcougarguy
jeez tony first you move then you start looking for mustangs? what is wrong with you? come back to cleveland so we can kick your ***

-Steven

Project Rust Prevention: 1990 Buick Regal, Toilet Capacity engine, new trim paint, 57K miles
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 09:32 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to lightevergreenfrost
My neibors has a 98 Cobra conv. Yeah its fast. Yeah the girls notice it. It does sound good. But when I have sat in it, it feels just like my sisters 97 V6. The interior just seems cheap over the Bird, and everything seem like it is just put whereever. Id like the power and looks of that car, but would take the Birds insides long before any 04 and older Stang.

**I have not driven said Cobra, for some reason he won't let me...go figure.

T-Bird Registry Number 27526
My Car Domain Site
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2282851
My Space:
http://www.myspace.com/jordonjones
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 10:53 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony
I will have both, so when I am mad at the Stang, I will hop in the bird! LOL

I've driven a V6 Stang at work and that thing is WAY slower than the GT and handles much worse than the GT too!! No offense, but I do feel bad for ya...LOL j/k man, it's not a bad car. But I sure bet you miss your Bird! How many miles are on your Stang?

I am aware of the insurance issue. Getting a quote tomorrow and it will be in both of our names (wife and I) and added onto our policy with the Bird (currently 116/month). Rough ride is no issue... you should ride in my bird with my stiff a$$ suspension!

As for the road noise, didn't really notice it on the test drive. It seemed a lot quieter than my bird. No sqeaks or rattles. Thats another thing with the Bird. At it's old age it is getting NOISY! The stiff suspension doesn't help!

Thanks for the opinions! Keep 'em coming!
Yeah, the V6 is a whole lot slower than the bird....but when I bought my V6, insurance cost was a major issue, still kind of is, so I really can't afford a GT...some day, maybe. I have 29,000 miles on my stang, bought it new with 9 miles on it in december of 2004. I put significantly less milage on the car now-a-days though, so hopefully my car won't become a premature high milage car. I'd eventually like to get a 96 v8 bird. I'd like my old one if I could track down who owns it now...I have the new licence plate number, but that doesn't really help me. I had stock suspension on the bird, and it rode real nice...the stang is definantly choppier, and really it's not all that bad. I really only started noticing the road noise last summer, and it only bugs me every once in a while. I want to strip the interior and put that sound dedening dynomat type stuff under the carpet, behind the door & side panels and all that to maybe quiet it down...then again that'll make it heavier and slower. AS far as sqeaks and rattles go, just wait a while. Remember, it's basically just a slightly re-worked fox body. My mustang rattles and squeeks a little bit...not much but a bit. Not to mention the interior is almost unchanged from the 1994 cars. I agree that the 94-97 MN12 interior is superior in every way. Basically, with the 99-04 stang, your dealing with the following:

a 1978 ford fairmont platform
a 1994 interior

definantly not refined...but that's what I like about them...the 05+ stangs, IMO, are a little TOO refined.....

2015 Mustang GT Premium / Manual / 3.55 / Recaro
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 11:31 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Yeah, the V6 is a whole lot slower than the bird....

I thought the newer V6 5-spd Mustangs were quicker than Thunderbirds? I had a 1997 Thunderbird with minimal power mods and was taken by a V6 quite easily...was very surprised but was told not to be at the time.

I think you'll enjoy the GT, especially if it's the first mainstream sports car you've owned. Lots of mods in the market, both used and new. I would re-think the car if you're considering it for daily driver duty though.

I am still in search of something around that same price range for a DD myself. Something economical, not too easy to mod (makes it easier to resist the temptation), a bit luxurious (so I can sit through rush hour traffic), and hopefully a four-door. The only Ford cars I've looked at so far are the Jaguar X-Type (AWD will make it sufficient for the winter), or a Lincoln LS (V8 hopefully).

Good luck with your search!

Looking for another MN12 for a new project!
1997 Thunderbird Sport SOLD! :-(
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
MN12 Fanatic

From my experience they are slow! I have raced several 6 bangers and have never lost. My wins where with my T-Bird ranging from stock to my current mods. I even got a video of me beating one at Norwalk with the old T-Bird!

But i am sure a base coupe V-6 (no options) with a 5-Speed would take a completely stock 4.6 bird. But who says a stock T-Bird is fast? IMO they are slow too!

When I drove a V6, it just felt very sluggish. Had to get on the gas alot to get it to move! And at WOT didn't have any power either! This was an auto BTW!

Oh and it isn't going to be a daily driver, just another fun car. It will be split up between the Bird and Stang.

As for insurance... an 02 GT will add 80 bux to my already 116 a month. Not to bad if I might say. My wife will be the primary driver of the stang and I'll be the primary for the bird. My driving record is not really clean , but since I moved to a new state they didn't put any of my record on the policy! I was happy about that because I have 10 points in Ohio. Dropped a hundred bux a month!!

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 06:55 PM

Hey i was in that mustang!

Alicia

Tony's Wife!

He drives a 97 T-Bird Sport with a 4.6!
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novacekgirl
Hey i was in that mustang!
Oh an btw, i liked it! Hopefully we get one soon!

Alicia

Tony's Wife!

He drives a 97 T-Bird Sport with a 4.6!
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
MN12 Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by novacekgirl
Oh an btw, i liked it! Hopefully we get one soon!
Oh, no! You tracked me down! LOL

Aren't you supposed to be working?? Get to WORK!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in