Toyota to join Nextel cup in 2007 - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Toyota to join Nextel cup in 2007

Well, can't say I'm suprised

http://www.toyota.com/motorsports/pi...m/pitpass&ref=

you can check out the press release if you have Adobe Acrobat. I think the 2007 season is going to be intresting...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 06:21 PM
6th Gear Poster

As much as I hate the post-'01 NASCAR stuff.... TOYOTA AIN'T AMERICAN!!

"Push the stands back, take the plates off, and let us RACE!" ~ Dale Earnhardt, Sr.
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 09:34 PM
PostWhore

Cool

I hate Rice!
post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 09:38 PM
Who is John Galt?

[puts on flame suit]
[puts on second flame suit]
I say more power to them. IMO, Toyota is just as American as ford, chrysler, or GM right now (in some cases, moreso). If they can come in and compete, I say let them. Maybe ford will wake up when they get their butts handed to them by a Camry.

"Won't work, can't be done"
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, more competition is always better, but on the other hand...It's friggin Toyota. Racing a CAMRY. This is what I really don't like about NASCAR. At least the Thunderbird stock cars reflected the RWD platform of the cars, and actually had V8's. These days... the Fusion... makes my head want to explode.
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 10:31 PM
Like Titles Matter

They should be competitive. After all, they got to build a clean sheet pushrod V8 race engine since they never had one in a production vehicle. Something the American manufacturers with their production based engines never got.

1996 Thunderbird LX- [email protected] NA
1998 GT - [email protected]
2001 Lightning - [email protected]
1996 GT 248A - [email protected]?
2011 GT - [email protected] 180 MPH at the Texas Mile

generated by sloganizer.net
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdanner
They should be competitive. After all, they got to build a clean sheet pushrod V8 race engine since they never had one in a production vehicle. Something the American manufacturers with their production based engines never got.
I'm just curious, what engine do the ford teams use for the basis for their race programs? 5.4L?
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 10:52 PM
1st Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to biguglytodd
What in the good lords name does toyota not being " american" have to do with Nascar? I didn't know that Stock car racing was just an american sport.
To be quite honest, stock car racing hasn't been using anything close to stock for at least 20 years.

oh well its about time the big three get thier aces kicked racing as well as on the sales floor.

-the big ugly-
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 11:02 PM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguglytodd
What in the good lords name does toyota not being " american" have to do with Nascar? I didn't know that Stock car racing was just an american sport.
To be quite honest, stock car racing hasn't been using anything close to stock for at least 20 years.

oh well its about time the big three get thier aces kicked racing as well as on the sales floor.

-the big ugly-

NASCAR is the United States racing division, and has always been strictly American vehicles. They had to fight a long battle to get the Tundra into the truck division, and they only succeeded because of the technicality that the Tundra was only built in the US. I'm not saying keep it to the same boring vehicles that they have, but keep it American at least. What's next? Mini? Smart? Civic? Beetle?

"Push the stands back, take the plates off, and let us RACE!" ~ Dale Earnhardt, Sr.
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally
NASCAR is the United States racing division, and has always been strictly American vehicles. They had to fight a long battle to get the Tundra into the truck division, and they only succeeded because of the technicality that the Tundra was only built in the US. I'm not saying keep it to the same boring vehicles that they have, but keep it American at least. What's next? Mini? Smart? Civic? Beetle?
Geeley. http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...12/1364/AUTO04
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 11:06 PM
1st Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to biguglytodd
why do we have to keep it american, its not like they are keeping it stock or even close to stock, i dont know of anyone that can purchase a rwd taurus from their local dealership. let alone a tube framed, v8
post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 11:25 PM
Dim Bulb

Send a message via AIM to Falcon5783 Send a message via MSN to Falcon5783 Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon5783
Though I see NASCAR as being all-american, I think this will probably actually be better in the long run. Competition inspires inginuity, which propels engineers and R&D into designing newer, better, and more efficient designs. Look at the PC, the PC is constantly changing because each company has to one up the next to stay in business. Sure some company may come around with a new product in a certain market and go bottom's up in 18 months... but with the rise/fall of that company and its product, it contributes to competition. Maybe Toyota will whoop Ford's a$$, maybe they'll disappear in a few years, but in any event it'll be good in the spirit of competition and advancement

+1

Elliot
'95 who-the-hell-knows-what in progress
2003 Mustang Cobra radiator, 180* T-stat, Hayden Ultra-cool auxiliary transmission cooler, 13" slotted/cross-drilled front rotors, Dual-Piston PBR calipers Powder Coated Red w/ black logo, 17" 7-spoke Chrome Motegis, JVC Arsenal 5000 HU with touch screen, Kappa 5x7's, Audiobahn 12 pushing 550 rms, FF50 driving lights, FF75 fog lights, xenon 95 air dam, 97 side skirts, rear window tbird decal
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 02:34 AM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to ThomasR91169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderwoz
I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, more competition is always better, but on the other hand...It's friggin Toyota. Racing a CAMRY. This is what I really don't like about NASCAR. At least the Thunderbird stock cars reflected the RWD platform of the cars, and actually had V8's. These days... the Fusion... makes my head want to explode.
yeah, but its just a fiberglass shell of a camry, everything else is basically the same **** as every other team, just with different adjustments and drivers. ill laugh my *** off when toyota ingenuity and precision with under a year of expertise starts handing out asswhoopings to teams whove been in nascar from the start. maybe honduh will come in and well have pushrod V8's with VTEC just flying by the others(joke btw )

1994 Tbird 4.6l, 3 trannies later and still bone stock.
Click to See
2002 Stang GT, 5spd "Ellie", Eleanor Tribute. Stage 3 Roush Kit, Saleen S281 Spoiler, JMS / Ironman Customs CL-2 C-Pillar Panels. Black Racing stripes on Pepper Grey. Minor Bolt ons, Real mods coming soon(Procharger, VT cams/Headwork, 31spline Eaton Rear, T-56 Swap)
post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 03:45 AM
Automatic Weapon

You gotta admit, it would be funny to see a Lexus at Daytona. Perhaps they will bring a bit of class to the normal red-neck crowd? NASCAR has sucked for a long time anyway. They're not stock, too many cry-babies, and all they do is turn left anyway?!

Go ahead Toyota, jump in and stir things up. Maybe NASCAR will be interesting again.

<----not throwing rocks at girls anymore
post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 05:29 AM
Whining Intakes Rock

Maybe Citroen will join in 2008

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/ I like intakes that whine \_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_

# SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;
# 0 rows returned
# drop table users;_
post #16 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 07:11 AM
Raoul Duke

Maybe Kia will join in 2054.

1996 Mercury Cougar XR7
4.6 - Dynomax-Equipped - Tranny Cooler - 3.27 T/L - 125k Miles
post #17 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 07:17 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
I can see it now.... A parking lot full of ricers with their winged, fart cannoned, imports parked next to beer drinking, bbq eating, good ole boy Joe Billy Bob and his Confederate flagged motorhome!!!

Just sit back and videotape the "fireworks" for CNN...

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #18 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 08:41 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to lightevergreenfrost
Camry is made in Georgetown Ky (ie. USA).
Fusion is made somewhere in Canada.
Why does it even matter? They all have the same body on the track. Without the paint and stickers you can't tell one apart from the other. The "new" Fusion looks exactly like the Taurus did without graphics. I wish they would go back to making the cars look like they do on the road. I kinda like watching those Austrailian V8 Supercars on Speed channel, they look stock with stock engines ect.

T-Bird Registry Number 27526
My Car Domain Site
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2282851
My Space:
http://www.myspace.com/jordonjones
post #19 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 09:06 AM
PostWhore

Garage
NASCAR has been far from stock for a long time. The engine and sheet metal profile is really the only difference. A number of years ago Rusty Wallace made his Fords Dodges by changing the motor and sheet metal profile. That Camry will be larger than the typical Camry and if they are not competitive they will whine and NASCAR will give them some concessions, same if one make is dominate, they will have to run a bigger spoiler or something to slow them down. Toyota has paid their dues in the Truck series, so NASCAR had to throw them a bone for the big buck series. They will take a vehicle the same as the truck series and put on Camry looking sheet metal and they have a Nextel Cup car.
post #20 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 10:32 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasR91169
yeah, but its just a fiberglass shell of a camry, everything else is basically the same **** as every other team, just with different adjustments and drivers. ill laugh my *** off when toyota ingenuity and precision with under a year of expertise starts handing out asswhoopings to teams whove been in nascar from the start. maybe honduh will come in and well have pushrod V8's with VTEC just flying by the others(joke btw )

you watch TV much? when is the last time any of those body panels on the Cup cars were fiberglass? its frickin sheetmetal thomas...and uh FYI, engineering and precision by toyota? the teams build and tweak the motors under the given rules they have, Hendrick doesnt have about 3million in CNC equipment in the engine shop for chvey to tell them what to design.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #21 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 11:49 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
I can see it now.... A parking lot full of ricers with their winged, fart cannoned, imports parked next to beer drinking, bbq eating, good ole boy Joe Billy Bob and his Confederate flagged motorhome!!!

Just sit back and videotape the "fireworks" for CNN...
Don, you aren't talking about me are you LOL. Not the ricer, but the beer drinking bbq eating good old boy. We have tents and a bbq smoker on a trailer but not a motorhome. I think it will be a while before you see ricers at a NASCAR race, NOPI is more there thing. NASCAR is trying to diversify though, 2 years ago at Talladega there was a black guy (from Huntsville of course) with a group next to us in the infield and guess what - the next day they had a picture of him cooking chicken on a small kettle grill on the front page of the Anniston Star.
post #22 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 12:37 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightevergreenfrost
Camry is made in Georgetown Ky (ie. USA).
Fusion is made somewhere in Canada.
Oh, Charger is also made in Canada.

My Car Domain Site
My Space:
post #23 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 12:39 PM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightevergreenfrost
Oh, Charger is also made in Canada.

No wonder it's ugly and sucks.

post #24 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 01:02 PM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderwoz
I'm just curious, what engine do the ford teams use for the basis for their race programs? 5.4L?
Ford uses a 351 windsor based dry sump block with cleveland mains. The heads on them are closely related to that of the 351c 4V closed chamber canted valve head but made out of aluminum and flow tons better. Its basically a clevor engine and they measure 358ci.

Shane

Shane Glynn SCCA Member number: 328085_0
2008 SCCA OVR C Prepared Champion
'92 Thunderbird SC 5.0L (35CP) Sponsored by AAA Ohio Auto Club
'99 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer

Corner workers run and hide in fear when they see me take course
post #25 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 01:37 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to FasTBird232 Send a message via MSN to FasTBird232 Send a message via Skype™ to FasTBird232
I was just about to say, Camrys are built in Kentucky, so you can forget about that "un-American" crap. Besides, what difference does it make, anyhow? NASCAR's been completely making over their image for years, it was only inevitable that a foreign brand got into the game.

What I want to see is Cadillac put one of their cars into competition (there was a rendering of a CTS stock car in Hot Rod a year or two ago). Just something to piss off the good ol' boys some more.
post #26 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 01:55 PM
PostWhore

Garage
I don't think you will see a Cadillac in NASCAR for the same reason you saw a Taurus instead of a MarkVIII in NASCAR in 1998. There was rumor of such when the stopped making the Tbird. NASCAR has grass roots type fans and I don't think any manufacturer wants to deal with more than one type of car in the races anymore. Gone are the days when Pontiac, Chevy, Oldsmobile and Buick all had entries.
post #27 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 02:12 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to FasTBird232 Send a message via MSN to FasTBird232 Send a message via Skype™ to FasTBird232
Or even Chevy and Pontiac. But the way the cars are now, it's almost like IROC.
post #28 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 02:55 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Camry's are assembled in KY. The controlling interests as well as all the support jobs are foreign. It's not the assembly jobs that make the difference here, it's the 6-7 supplier's jobs for every one assembler that are involved in American companies that aren't in Toyota or Honda.

I work for Worthington Ind. We supply processed steel to several companies. Those companies supply finished parts to other companies. Those companies assemble those parts into sub-assemblies that then go to the car manufacturer's assembly facility. All of those support jobs are here in the USA with American car companies. Not the case with imports. Just because Honda and Toyota assemble cars here doesn't make them American.

Mike

- DOHC 4.6
- 4.56 Trac-Loc
- DirtyDog Converter (3,800)
- SCT Micro Tuner from Blue Oval Chips
- 13.24 @ 103mph

ToombsRacing.com
post #29 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 03:57 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

So is the Canadian made Fusion or Charger still an American car??? Nothing is really made 100% in any country anymore. Welcome to a world economy! Its NASCAR, they are a business, and just like every other business they are out to make money. The NFL did it with Reebok and EA Sports! Money talks.

My Car Domain Site
My Space:
post #30 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 04:06 PM
PostWhore

Last time I checked, neither of the "A"s in "NASCAR" stood for "American," so I say it's about damn time a foreign (or whatever the hell you want to call it) car got into it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in