AAAAA: American Association Against Acronym Abuse

Click here if you are an idiot

Llama!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 01:26 PM
Veteran Poster

Wow.....

Driving/buying the things you make at work shows great pride in your company and your work. It's a move that makes sense, but it is still kinda extreme.

one question:
What if I what to ride my Harley-Davidson to work, where do I park then?

All MN12/FN10 PA/NJ/MD/DE/NY people please check out: TSTaCC, feel free to register & say hi

'Krissy' 1997 Thunderbird LX Sport 281ci
Custom doesn't come in a Box
Slide or Die
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 01:34 PM
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

Send a message via AIM to big mike
how old is mr. webber? what an idiot. who gives a flying crap what you drive and where you park it? show me where parking a chevy, madza, or bmw in that parking lot is illegal.

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 01:43 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
good. ford should, its a solidarity and ethical thing. You build pride in a company by being proud of your company, you buy thier products, you spend your money with your company, you should see your employer as the company you will retire with.

i refuse to spend my money with my company's competitors. Pride in ones work and the quality of thier company is what allows them to suceed, bar none.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 01:47 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Agreed. GM has had a policy in place like this for some time.

Mike

- DOHC 4.6
- 4.56 Trac-Loc
- DirtyDog Converter (3,800)
- SCT Micro Tuner from Blue Oval Chips
- 13.24 @ 103mph

ToombsRacing.com
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 01:48 PM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Obucina
you spend your money with your company,
Just like Henry did back in the day, pay them well so they can turn around and buy his model-t's.

All MN12/FN10 PA/NJ/MD/DE/NY people please check out: TSTaCC, feel free to register & say hi

'Krissy' 1997 Thunderbird LX Sport 281ci
Custom doesn't come in a Box
Slide or Die
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 02:36 PM
Chapter Director Coordinator

heh.. union backing

tough sh!t you non ford drivers

I bust ARP bolts by hand...

If Guns kill people, then...
...pencils miss spel werds
...cars make people drive drunk
...spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat
~Gun Owners of America
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 02:50 PM
PostWhore

That makes perfect sense to me, and I agree 100%!!!!

Most of you know I work for Hella. When I first started, I had to sign something saying that said as long as I am employeed by Hella, I will not have a competitors product on my vehicle.

If you work for Ford, and have for many years, why not own one.

The same thing with Coca-Cola (my dad works for them), he hasn't been able to have a Pepsi product (knowningly) in his house for nearly 20 years. If his boss were to come over, and my dad have a Pepsi product in his house, he would be fired. Shoot, my dad isn't even supposed to eat at KFC, Pizza Hut, or Taco Bell (Pepsi products are served).

-Kornhaus
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 03:07 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
I have split feelings.

I agree that one should take pride in the product they make and show that pride and support by buying the product.

HOWEVER, since Ford employees have absolutely no say in the price of the product, why should they be penalized for spending their money on a comparable product for less money? It is their money to spend as they see fit, IMHO.

For example, if it costs a Ford employee $20K for a F150, but he can buy a GMC 1500 for $18K, why should be be penalized for spending his money more efficiently.

I think a MUCH better method to get the Ford parking lot of Fords is to make the incentives higher, rather than a "punishment".... Say offer, a "matching" price on a Ford. Then if you decide to NOT partake in that offer, then be ready to hike through the rain.

(Or do they do something like this already?)

But again, I'm sort of split.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
I have split feelings.

I agree that one should take pride in the product they make and show that pride and support by buying the product.

HOWEVER, since Ford employees have absolutely no say in the price of the product, why should they be penalized for spending their money on a comparable product for less money? It is their money to spend as they see fit, IMHO.

For example, if it costs a Ford employee $20K for a F150, but he can buy a GMC 1500 for $18K, why should be be penalized for spending his money more efficiently.

I think a MUCH better method to get the Ford parking lot of Fords is to make the incentives higher, rather than a "punishment".... Say offer, a "matching" price on a Ford. Then if you decide to NOT partake in that offer, then be ready to hike through the rain.

I agree.. we are not talking a few dollars here. We are talking Thousand of dollars. If Ford made every effort to make employee purchases of the vehicles by price matching or even well below invoice then thats differant. Then again we are just talking about parking spots... Not that big of a deal anyway..

Llama!!!

post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 03:32 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

ford does offer deal, incentives, "plan" pricing. My mom gets X plan pricing on her escape and it ended up being almost 3k less than sticker retail....and she doesnt even work for Ford.

i think too many employees just see their job as a paycheck and not something to be proud of...and I think tha sentiment is to widely accepted in society.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 03:38 PM
Boom.

Quote:
I have split feelings.

On new vehicles I'd find it hard to believe that a Ford employee couldn't get a Ford vehicle for less than an identical competitor's product even if the Ford has a higher sticker. It's called D-plan and X-plan, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mike
how old is mr. webber? what an idiot. who gives a flying crap what you drive and where you park it? show me where parking a chevy, madza, or bmw in that parking lot is illegal.
Geez dude, who gives a flying crap? Ford does. What does it matter how old he is? And really it's not that rare...at my dealership, it's not required but it is highly encouraged for employees to drive FoMoCo vehicles to work. At the manager level and above I'd say it's pretty much required.

No one said it was illegal either...

TCCoABAMFC - Founding Member
Official Member of the TCCoA Evil Underground Moderator Conspiracy
TCCoA Gun Club

2003 Mach 1 - 4.6L DOHC V8/4R70W

1995 Cougar XR7 - PI 4.6L SOHC V8
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 04:01 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
One thing to remember is that a lot of the employees probably can't afford to buy a new Ford. So unless they get those discounts on used Ford vehicles, they are back to square one of looking for a good price.

Do those plans apply to used Fords also? I don't know, I'm just asking.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 04:20 PM
Boom.

No, those are specifically for new vehicles. I would imagine that Ford employees could/would get discounts on used vehicles at local dealers however.

TCCoABAMFC - Founding Member
Official Member of the TCCoA Evil Underground Moderator Conspiracy
TCCoA Gun Club

2003 Mach 1 - 4.6L DOHC V8/4R70W

1995 Cougar XR7 - PI 4.6L SOHC V8
post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 04:30 PM
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

Send a message via AIM to big mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmguy
Geez dude, who gives a flying crap? Ford does. What does it matter how old he is? And really it's not that rare...at my dealership, it's not required but it is highly encouraged for employees to drive FoMoCo vehicles to work. At the manager level and above I'd say it's pretty much required.

No one said it was illegal either...
i was implying that its pretty childish to allow only ford vehicles to park in their lots. maybe an employee got a good deal on a non-ford car and cant afford a ford. and what would happen with the handicap spots for employees? is an individual who is wheelchair-bound or elderly who drives a non-ford minivan going to have to roll/hike it all the way from the street, or cross the street for that matter? i think ford should be proud that they even have employees , IRREGARDLESS of what they drive. i do detect discrimination here in another context, which is something this country continues to deal with.

yeah, its not illegal, but my point is they should not be concerned with separating the ford vehicles from the non-fords, just because the company is experiencing problems. i do see an ethical example here, but not every ford employee has a ford.

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #16 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 04:31 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
One thing to remember is that a lot of the employees probably can't afford to buy a new Ford. So unless they get those discounts on used Ford vehicles, they are back to square one of looking for a good price.

those plant workers make something on the order of 15/16 dollars an hour, two incomes per household...i think they can afford a vehicle.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
post #17 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 04:31 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Quote:

I was just thinking the same thing. If you are a factory worker, you probably don't make tons of money, so you would most likely buy a used car, not a new one, and there is nothing ford could do in that market since once the car is sold, future sales are out of their hands. If I worked there, and they put this rule into effect, I would probably give the management the finger and go find myself another job, even though I do drive a ford! Also, these people are factory workers. Their job IS just a paycheck to them. You don't have to be a firm believer in the company you work for to bolt on the same few parts every day and be able to support your family. If anything, I think this is likely to make people less likely to believe in their company. All it will do is make someone who looks at the parking lot think that everyone believes in the company, until they look across the street and see another lot without a single ford vehicle anywhere.

Mike

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #18 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 05:02 PM
PostWhore

This policy is ridiculous. Someone who's been working there for years, who may have bought his non-Ford before he started working there, now has to park across the street? YGTBSM.

How about a handicapped guy who drives a non-Ford? Does Ford require him to push his wheelchair across the street? I almost hope so, so the guy can sue Ford for violating ADA.

Executive Editor, Ford Builder Magazine--hit me up if your ride is worthy!
post #19 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 05:07 PM
Who is John Galt?

I kinda have mixed feelings about that. I can't say that there's anything wrong with wanting your employees to drive the vehicle that they produce. However, there's something to be said for choice and what you want. Like right now, I've developed a real fondness for the Chargers and the Magnums (especially the R/T and SRT models). If I were working for Ford and "had" to drive a Ford, what exactly do they offer that competes with those two vehicles? Nothing that I know of.

Overall, I can't really see a problem with it. I guess it might just be Ford trying to instill some pride in what they build. Hell, you can pick up some used Fords for cheap. Just pick up a Ford beater to drive to work. And, if they've got union backing in this, might as well consider it set in stone.

Sorry if this seems like senseless drivel, I've had a long day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkornhaus
Shoot, my dad isn't even supposed to eat at KFC, Pizza Hut, or Taco Bell (Pepsi products are served).

-Kornhaus
You would have to shoot me on the spot. Taking Taco Bell out of my diet would cause catastrphic failure . . . especially on the weekends

"Won't work, can't be done"
post #20 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 05:08 PM
Chapter Director Coordinator

... the unions up there won't allow them to work for sh!t... obviously if they are handicapped, they won't be doing much in a factory if they are, it may be office work, and i'm sure an exception can be made

I bust ARP bolts by hand...

If Guns kill people, then...
...pencils miss spel werds
...cars make people drive drunk
...spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat
~Gun Owners of America
post #21 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 05:25 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to lightevergreenfrost
Who said it had to be a new Ford vehicle?? You can get a Fiesta for a couple hundred.

T-Bird Registry Number 27526
My Car Domain Site
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2282851
My Space:
http://www.myspace.com/jordonjones
post #22 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 05:56 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Obucina
ford does offer deal, incentives, "plan" pricing. My mom gets X plan pricing on her escape and it ended up being almost 3k less than sticker retail....and she doesnt even work for Ford.

i think too many employees just see their job as a paycheck and not something to be proud of...and I think tha sentiment is to widely accepted in society.
brand/company loyalty is gone, every time i try to buy at car at my ford employee plan, they try to screw me, and beign loyal has cost me job after job, and now i am part time at my new one here, sooo . oh well, i wont be runnign to buy any new ford cars ill keep my oldies, if they wanted to fire me for driving a chevy , my 1st call would be a lawyer

64 ford galaxie -FE powered beast!- sleeping giant
69 cougar standard- 347/c6 -efi restomod, heidts prog 4 link heavily modified front, custom strutrods boxed lowers rollerperches 620 lowering springs! meier shock tower brace
96 f150 supercab lifted beast! 351 powered beast
87 shasta roadmaster 29ft travel trailer- pimpdaddy camping!
mn12 less!
post #23 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 06:09 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

Quote:
One thing to remember is that a lot of the employees probably can't afford to buy a new Ford.
BS. When you get paid $30 an hour to work an assembly line, you can damn well afford a ford.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #24 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBird
BS. When you get paid $30 an hour to work an assembly line, you can damn well afford a ford.

Hell, 30 bucks an hour and I am driving a Benz.... screw Ford!

Llama!!!

post #25 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 07:34 PM
Sheepish

Send a message via AIM to AverageJoe Send a message via Yahoo to AverageJoe
Quote:
Considering that parking lot is private property, Ford can ban any brand they want...

B Team - More skill, more results. A is only a starting point before progressing to B.

Member of the 'B-Team'. Finishing jobs the 'A-Team' can't handle.
post #26 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 07:53 PM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to Last Mrk Send a message via Skype™ to Last Mrk
Quote:
I do detect discrimination here in another context, which is something this country continues to deal with.
Since when is discrimination bad? Racial? Yes. Age? Yes. Sexual? Yes, but no one is going to tell me I can't discriminate when it comes to picking for instance a life partner. I prefer women with big boobs, blond hair and discriminate against all males. This is only one example. We discriminate when we buy cars. I discriminate against all cars that are not 2 door coupes, that have a high performance V8 and RWD, preferably with IRS.

I'm with Ford on this and Ford is just following somewhat the lead of the UAW when they had a similar policy of NO imports in their lots. At least Ford didn't say you have to own a Ford, just that you can't use the convenience of parking in the lot they provide.

Maybe they should initiate this policy

Or this one

Last edited by Last Mrk; 01-27-2006 at 10:38 PM.
post #27 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 09:27 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

i can undestand no imports, but the uaw has allowed other american products, so why cut it down to fords, liekthe one guy said, he got a better deal on a chrysler than a ford, and it is still american , so , it should still be american built, beign allowed, this time, ford and the unions have crossed the line, i have to walk farther to work becasue i buy american but its not a ford? last time i checked all of the big 3 were hurting , not just ford, yea all the same union

69 cougar standard- 347/c6 -efi restomod, heidts prog 4 link heavily modified front, custom strutrods boxed lowers rollerperches 620 lowering springs! meier shock tower brace
mn12 less!
post #28 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 09:50 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to FasTBird232 Send a message via MSN to FasTBird232 Send a message via Skype™ to FasTBird232
They get really good discounts, not only for them but for their friends and family, as well. I still think it's crap not letting anything else in the lot. I mean, it's fine that the employees are cool with it, but what good does that do? You want to help the company? Have your fatcat executives take a 50% pay cut. Keeping non-Ford cars out of your parking lot doesn't keep the company out of financial trouble.
post #29 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 10:02 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

hey fast bird , the employee discounts for cars are not that great

mn12 less!
post #30 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 10:08 PM
5th Gear Poster

I'd at least make it American built cars only.

Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in