No title for a car...how to get one - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 187bird
No title for a car...how to get one

A buddy of mine has a 91 Iroc Z camaro w/ a new engine in it(305) but the car was his dad's and he(the dad) bought the car from a guy with a bill of sale(lost title) and didnt think twice about it...he was never going to drive it on the road(race car) well he got hurt and hasnt touched the car. He gave it to his son(my friend) and its sat in his garage since then. He said i could have it(since I need a car bad) but he dosent have a title, but could write up a bill of sale. How do i go about getting a title on this car so i can have a car to drive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 12:25 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to pnyklr Send a message via Yahoo to pnyklr
do a search on the Vin#to try to find out the previous owner or do a swap with another camaro

In NY they dont want to even look at a bill of sale you need the Title or you cant register the car here

Also here if the car isnt registered in a certain # of years DMV also gives you a problem

Sorry for being so general but my DMV skills arent good today

Technically he cant really give you the car or transfer ownership since it wasnt his to begin with since the title was never transferred to the dad or your friend

The only way to register to it is to hunt down the last registered owner and
1) hope its not stolen
2) hope its not a salvage title because if it is you have to get it inspected to make sure its all legitimate

Hope that helps

Chris
87 GN,94 Prizm,05 Suburban Z71
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 12:54 PM
Dim Bulb

Send a message via AIM to Falcon5783 Send a message via MSN to Falcon5783 Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon5783
You might try looking up the web sites for your state's DMV or DOL, whichever governs vehicles sales/licensing

+1

Elliot
'95 who-the-hell-knows-what in progress
2003 Mustang Cobra radiator, 180* T-stat, Hayden Ultra-cool auxiliary transmission cooler, 13" slotted/cross-drilled front rotors, Dual-Piston PBR calipers Powder Coated Red w/ black logo, 17" 7-spoke Chrome Motegis, JVC Arsenal 5000 HU with touch screen, Kappa 5x7's, Audiobahn 12 pushing 550 rms, FF50 driving lights, FF75 fog lights, xenon 95 air dam, 97 side skirts, rear window tbird decal
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 08:34 PM
1st Gear Poster

Check with your Bureau of Motor Vehicles in your state. Quite often you can file an affidavit of ownership if the vehicle is below a certain value. You will probably need a police check to make sure the vehicle returns not stolen. But each state is different so give them a call.

Schneider 153
Failure is not an option and if by chance it happens, don't tell anyone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in