Ticket for window tint - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Ticket for window tint

This is mainly a rant!!!!

I have had my windows tinted for about 4 years (limo tint - 5%). Well, to make a long story short, I was driving down the road, and a cop pulls up next to me. I just got my system hooked up again, so I turned the volume down as soon as I saw him tailing me. About 20 seconds later, he flips his lights on and pulls me over. I was like crap. So before the cop even gets out of the car, I roll both front windows down (knowing that they are darker than crap). He walks up, asks me to roll my window half-way up, and using his little window meter tester. It read 4%!!!!! He asked if I knew that the tint was illegal, and I was being honest (thinking it would get me out of a ticket) and said "yes sir, I am not going to lie to you. I know it is illegal." He walk away, and said "I am going to give you a ticket for your windows. I couldn't see anything in your car when I was behind you." So I rolled my windows back up, and said a few choiced words!!! He came back, gave me my lisence and insurance. I asked how much the ticket would be, and he said $82, plus I have to take the tint off ($200 tint). D'OH!!!!

I just couldn't believe it has taken me 4 years to get a ticket.

Does anyone know what the law is in GA, for tint? I know it is 35% up front. But what about the back window and the quarter windows? Because I was thinking about just taking the window tint off the front windows, and leaving the back three limo. Once I remove the tint, I have to take my car to the police station, and they have to inspect the tint. If it is legal, or taken off, I just have to pay the ticket without going to court.

-Kornhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 07:58 AM
Veteran Poster

Ahh, good to be in OK where they stopped enforcing that. Even the cops get dark tint on the unmarked cars.

google for tint laws. there are several sites that list them

SOLD!!!!

5.4 block from 99 expedition bored .20 over
Forged crank/Manley Rods/JE flat tops/chromemoly rings and Steeda Underdrives
P&P PI heads (by me) w/ 3 angle valve job w/copper gaskets with ARP studs/bolts and One piece lightning cams
80mm Pro-M MAF and Cut & welded '95 4.6 intake
Jmodded Trans & Trac-loc pumpkin (Cobra) 3.27
Raxles, ADDCO 1 1/4", Eibachs, JL Braces
18" CEC type 169 wheels w/ 245/40 front 255/45 rear
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 07:59 AM
Eleventeenth Gear Poster

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/GA/

Sold = 96 Thunderbird
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 08:28 AM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Medical Exemption

State allows medical exemptions for special tint. For more details about the specific terms of the exemption, consult your state law.
I know a guy whose wife has a rare form of epilepsy or something along those lines. She can't be in direct sunlight for very long or she can go into seizures so he's got all of their vehicles tinted about as dark as possible. Not sure on the percentage. Not that it's a good thing about his wife's condition but he was happy about having a paper saying he could tint his windows as dark as he wanted.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 08:34 AM
6th Gear Poster

I know all about tint tickets. I recieved 3 from Arizona when all I was doing was driving through it! Keep in mind that no matter what state you are in, the minute you enter that state you are responsible for knowing all their laws and obeying them even if you don't plan to stay.

Consider yourself lucky that you were able to enjoy something illegal for 4 years. Wouldn't you be more pissed you a cop stopped you as you pulled out of the parking lot the day you got it installed?

1994 4.6 T-Bird R.I.P.

New Car...
2003 Honda Accord Coupe
V6 3.0 app. 220 to the wheels...front wheels
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 504 Bird
I know all about tint tickets. I recieved 3 from Arizona when all I was doing was driving through it! Keep in mind that no matter what state you are in, the minute you enter that state you are responsible for knowing all their laws and obeying them even if you don't plan to stay.

Consider yourself lucky that you were able to enjoy something illegal for 4 years. Wouldn't you be more pissed you a cop stopped you as you pulled out of the parking lot the day you got it installed?
Yeah, that probably would have ruin my day!!

-Kornhaus
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 09:03 AM
leet sauce

i got a ticket for side windows tint being at the lightest black color last week after driving with it for over 2 years
going to have to remove it as well
go figure
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 09:07 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Looks like Georgia is the same as Alabama. I have 20% on my Tbird, but it has faded so I don't think it would be a problem. My RX7 has 20% all around and it is not faded, but they don't seem to pay attention in Alabama. I put on 5% by mistake on one of my front windows in the Bird and I honestly could not see out of it at night. I am planing on redoing my back window on my Bird with fresh 20%. If I get stopped I think I will plead ignorance since I put it on in Florida and they allow 15% except the front must be 28%. Also the Alabama law was passed in 1996, so maybe I can be grandfathered in with a 1995. When I lived in North Carolina I was grandfathered in and had to sign a statement whenever I got an inspection as they would not pass you unless you had the NC stickers on it. Since they will check when you bring it in looks like you don't have a choice but to remove it.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

So let me ask. If I pay the ticket ($82), does that mean I do not have to take the tint off? I am bascially just taking a risk of getting pulled over again, if I leave it on. Or if I take the tint off, will I still have to pay the ticket? A friend told me that if I pay the ticket, I shouldn't have to take the tint off. And if I take the tint off, I shouldn't have to pay the ticket.

I never thought a ticket would be so confusing! : )

-Kornhaus
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 11:12 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Midnight
That sounds about right. I had the same thing happen to me. It was on for a long long time before some cop decided to pull me over. She was like if you take it off you will not have to pay the fine. I told her that I did not want to take it off and would rather pay the fine.

Sprtnlax14: i was was up at 4:30 to hunt
LtlLinds424: you did NOT just say hunt
Sprtnlax14: whatever, the day you become a vegan we'll talk
LtlLinds424: the day that you stop only spitting game and not producing girls in your bed... we'll talk

My Dragons
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 11:16 AM
leet sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight
That sounds about right. I had the same thing happen to me. It was on for a long long time before some cop decided to pull me over. She was like if you take it off you will not have to pay the fine. I told her that I did not want to take it off and would rather pay the fine.
yeah right?!
thats weird lol
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

My fiancee is going to call the Chief of Police, and see what the deal is. If I take off the tint, I will save $82 bucks.

-Kornhaus
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 11:50 AM
leet sauce

keep us posted plz
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 11:52 AM
Eleventeenth Gear Poster

I got a tint ticket a year or so ago. I had the option to pay the $72 fine and leave the tint if I wanted to, or remove the tint and pay 50% of the ticket.

I payed the $72 and left the tint on. It was the first time I ever had a problem with 5% tint in 5-6 years and the cops around here don't seem to car to much about tint, so I figure problems are few and far between.

Sold = 96 Thunderbird
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 01:51 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron K.
I got a tint ticket a year or so ago. I had the option to pay the $72 fine and leave the tint if I wanted to, or remove the tint and pay 50% of the ticket.

I payed the $72 and left the tint on. It was the first time I ever had a problem with 5% tint in 5-6 years and the cops around here don't seem to car to much about tint, so I figure problems are few and far between.

thats what happens when you drive like an asshat...

BTW, friday night is gonna be in the 40s, wanna go racin?

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 02:02 PM
Eleventeenth Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Obucina
You'd know huh

Quote:
Possibly, if I get my tires & rotors installed by then.

Sold = 96 Thunderbird
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 02:29 PM
I Break Stuff

Send a message via AIM to 94V8Thunderbird Send a message via Yahoo to 94V8Thunderbird
lucky bastards with your workin transmissions, PI motors, and ball joints that dont squeak lol.

1988 Mustang GT 306, 4 bbl holley, edlebrock intake, nitrous cam, 4 inch cowl hood.
94 LX PI swapped Bird (sold) missing that car so bad
TCCoABAMF
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 02:42 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94V8Thunderbird
lucky bastards with your workin transmissions, PI motors, and ball joints that dont squeak lol.

ball joints are 'posed to be silent?

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 02:48 PM
I Break Stuff

Send a message via AIM to 94V8Thunderbird Send a message via Yahoo to 94V8Thunderbird
yeah i think so, im also pretty sure my back wheel isnt supposed to move back and forth, oh yeah i finally got those pics from back in december loaded into the computer lol.

1988 Mustang GT 306, 4 bbl holley, edlebrock intake, nitrous cam, 4 inch cowl hood.
94 LX PI swapped Bird (sold) missing that car so bad
TCCoABAMF
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 04:08 PM
$.25 poster

Send a message via AIM to AlpineBird
I hope i can get atleast 4 years out of my window tint. I had the fronts done on my jeep about a month ago. A week later i was driving on the expressway and a state trooper pulled up along side of me so i rolled my windows down. The he slowed up, got behind me and started to tail me. He pulled me over, and gave me crap about not wearing my seatbelt, (i was wearing it though). He never said anything about rolling up the windows....he had to know, why else would i roll both of them down going 70mph on a 30 degree winter day lol.

Im still trying to figure out if he was picking on me becuase of the tint, or if it were just a coincedence. Oh well, im not complaining i still have my tint lol.

'96 Alpine Bird 281ci
- Clear Corners
- DynoMax Cat-Back
- Purchased with 36,000 miles, now at 101k
- No mods planned untill it's DD life is over

1998 5.9 Limited Grand Cherokee
- Flowmaster Exhaust
- AEM Brute Force Intake
- Mopar Performance ECU

- 275hp-395ft/lbs at the crank (est.) Track results in the spring!!!
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 04:17 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to whitecoug
You guys are lucky...When I got my car back in Feb 02, I was driving through town and got pulled over. I knew there was tint on the windows...mind you this was about 2 days after I bought the car. Didn't know if it was too dark or not. Sure enough...too dark. Got a warning for it and I stripped it since it was starting too peal anyways. But my rear windows are very dark. That's still there. And as a side note...my warning also had something on it about not having plates...guess he couldn't see the paper plate through the rear tint

Joe

1994 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L Special Edition

PnP'd NPIs, PI Cams, PI intake, 80mm GT MAF, 24# Injectors, Shorty Headers, SCT Tuned, Jmod, Trans Cooler, 3.73's, Underdrives, Zex Dry kit 75 shot, Dirtydog TC, Trans built by Darrin, 97 Cupholders

219 RWHP/256 RWTQ NA
280 RWHP/343 RWTQ Bottle Fed (75 shot)
[email protected] mph 5/20/06

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 11:15 PM
Boom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron K.

There are cops that enforce tint laws in Florida??? Who knew...

TCCoABAMFC - Founding Member
Official Member of the TCCoA Evil Underground Moderator Conspiracy
TCCoA Gun Club

2003 Mach 1 - 4.6L DOHC V8/4R70W

1995 Cougar XR7 - PI 4.6L SOHC V8
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:

What the hell does this have to do with my thread? Oh, I know... NOTHING!

-Kornhaus
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 07:58 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Scott, I suspect that you will have to do both, not only remove the tint, but pay the ticket. My reasoning as follows. You were doing something illegal...having the window tint darker than allowed by state law. If you plead guilty to the ticket and you do have to have the ticket adjudicated, you will have to pay a fine. But, you said you have to go to court or the police station (inspection station) to have the car looked at which leads me to conclude you still have to take it off, one way or another. If you left the tint on, you'd be in violation again and you'd receive another ticket for this topic. (Don't think about double jeopardy as it doesn't apply!).

Tell you what, take a look at your state laws on line. They'll tell you what is going to happen. Anything else is just hearsay or conjecture, really...see above! I'm reasoning this out...

So, review the state laws. If you have trouble interpreting them, send me an email at my private mail, [email protected] and I'll give you a hand. I just don't have time right now to research it myself and it will give you a lesson on how to get the specific answer to your specific question from the official source. Further, if the statute is in your favor, you will be that much further ahead!

Ralf W.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 09:23 AM
Boom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkornhaus
What the hell does this have to do with my thread? Oh, I know... NOTHING!

-Kornhaus
Chill bro...not that big a deal.

Florida crew, let's take it elsewhere I guess...

TCCoABAMFC - Founding Member
Official Member of the TCCoA Evil Underground Moderator Conspiracy
TCCoA Gun Club

2003 Mach 1 - 4.6L DOHC V8/4R70W

1995 Cougar XR7 - PI 4.6L SOHC V8
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmguy
Chill bro...not that big a deal.

Florida crew, let's take it elsewhere I guess...
There are 5 posts that have nothing to do with this thread, or even window tint.

I just don't understand why PM's or an E-mail couldn't have been sent to one another. Last time I accidentally "hi-jacked" a thread, I was "told" to stop!!!

-Kornhaus
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 10:22 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

well, if you had bothered to research the tint laws in your state before having the tint done, you wouldnt have that problem...even knowing that if you put limo tint on your car will get you busted, thats your fault.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 10:23 AM
Eleventeenth Gear Poster

Pay the ticket and put second layer of 5% on.

That post was on topic

Sold = 96 Thunderbird
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 12:09 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Ricerbird
i looked at the illinois laws. and 6 inches of the windshiled can be tinted as dark as you want it at the top. the driver windows can not be done at all as for everything behind the drvers widows there is now law as to how dark it can be so you could put 3 layers of 5% tint and get nothing said to you about it. the only thing you have to have with the back window tinted is two side mirrors. but im thinkin bout havin my rear quarter glasses and my back window done also 5% on my wind shield 6 inches just to stay legal. but ill be right on every boundry of illegal.

but i have a new suspension getting here tomorrow so i got better things to spend my money on. but im dropping my car 2-3 inches. you know since ill already be down there replacing the bad stuff might as well make it better.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
well, if you had bothered to research the tint laws in your state before having the tint done, you wouldnt have that problem...even knowing that if you put limo tint on your car will get you busted, thats your fault.
I knew it was illegal. I never said different. I was mainly looking to see if anyone has had the same experience/problem. Also, I was just wondering if I paid the ticket, do I still have to take the tint off.

Whatever!

-Kornhaus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in