Thinking of buying an SRT-4 - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Tx_Cat Send a message via MSN to Tx_Cat Send a message via Yahoo to Tx_Cat
Thinking of buying an SRT-4

Do any of you guys have any experience on SRT4 Neons? Pros vs Cons? The more I see them, the more I want one. I've seen 02-03 range from 11-13k with under 30k miles. Im looking for a reliable and fast "beater" car. I always wanted to buy a 1990-1993 VW Cabriolet but I cannot seem to find one in good shape here locally

PhotobucketNitrous and boost go together like peanut butter and jellyPhotobucket

Nuttin make you feel more like a man in a Thunder Cougar Falcon Bird

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 10:51 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
seat is a wee bit small for me, as is the rest of the interior. later models got the limited slip standard. Ive read that the limited slip was optional on the ealrier models. They have Michelin Pilots as rolling stock but they are quite soft so check for tire wear.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 12:07 PM
Veteran Poster

when my f250 was in the shop I had a neon rental, it made my 4cyl infiniti g20 feel like a caddy. At 23, you should be past any desire to sit in a neon.

SOLD!!!!

5.4 block from 99 expedition bored .20 over
Forged crank/Manley Rods/JE flat tops/chromemoly rings and Steeda Underdrives
P&P PI heads (by me) w/ 3 angle valve job w/copper gaskets with ARP studs/bolts and One piece lightning cams
80mm Pro-M MAF and Cut & welded '95 4.6 intake
Jmodded Trans & Trac-loc pumpkin (Cobra) 3.27
Raxles, ADDCO 1 1/4", Eibachs, JL Braces
18" CEC type 169 wheels w/ 245/40 front 255/45 rear
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 12:46 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Juice Send a message via MSN to Juice Send a message via Yahoo to Juice
You were the one talking **** about that guy's Neon last year when I first joined and now you're looking at one, oh the irony.

Seriously though, I've heard the SRT-4's are like a completely different car under a Neon shell, so it really isn't "still a Neon".

The only drawback I can think of without really looking into it is fitting. I know I couldn't fit in one, hell I have a hard time fitting in Mustangs!

Anyway, those are pretty cool/quick little cars. And if you take all the SRT-4 stuff off, you have one hell of a sleeper.

~Chuck

I put the sexy in dyslexia.
Chaos Journey
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 01:17 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliHwyPatrol
I know I couldn't fit in one, hell I have a hard time fitting in Mustangs!
Lol I don't think Ford had 6-footers in mind when they designed the SN95. You pay a price for that sexy roofline. Then again if I had the loot, I think I'd make myself fit in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliHwyPatrol
Anyway, those are pretty cool/quick little cars. And if you take all the SRT-4 stuff off, you have one hell of a sleeper.
~Chuck
I can see it now: some kid in a riced-out Civic pulls up to what appears to be a beater Neon on steelies, and promptly gets his doors blown off

While we're on the subject of the SRT-4: Is 2.4T Mitsu-based or is it a domestic powerplant? I know they beefed up the original to make the SRT-4, but I don't know who built the original powerplants.

'99 Taurus 24V: daily driver/auto-xer
'95 Thunderbird LX V8: in the garage-"hibernating"
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 02:02 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Gcline
yeah, its a 4g64 with an evo 3 turbo i believe, dont hold me to that though

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 Sport 4.6L
P.I. Intake, Mustang T/B and Upper Plenum,B&M Heavy Duty Trans Cooler, Trans Temp Gauge, A/F Ratio Gauge, K&N Cone Filter, Air Silencer Delete, 50% Front 20% Rear Tint, A&A Fiberglass GFX Kit, Xenon Front Clip, Magnaflow High Flow Cats

2001 Nissan Altima GXE Limited Edition

Daily Driver, 38mpg!

Quote:
at least Ford can pay their bills and not go on welfare like GM and Chrysler.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 04:09 PM

And for a Wrong wheel Drive they hardly have any Torque steer (Unlike GM 3800SC'd cars)

1996 Thunderbird LX 3.8L
-255rwhp 273rwtq-
-Vortech V1 S-trim [email protected], aftercooled-
-Built 4R70W W/3200rpm PI
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC
-stock, stock, big dent, and more stock-
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 04:23 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancherlee
And for a Wrong wheel Drive they hardly have any Torque steer (Unlike GM 3800SC'd cars)
the old oldsmobile 98 regencys from the mid nintys had no torque steer either, and talk about a sleeper !

64 ford galaxie -FE powered beast!- sleeping giant
69 cougar standard- 347/c6 -efi restomod, heidts prog 4 link heavily modified front, custom strutrods boxed lowers rollerperches 620 lowering springs! meier shock tower brace
96 f150 supercab lifted beast! 351 powered beast
87 shasta roadmaster 29ft travel trailer- pimpdaddy camping!
mn12 less!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 09:16 AM
motor city poster

Send a message via AIM to Red96Bird
well heres what i think my brothers best friend has had one now for almost 2 years.... going for many rides in it, beating on it, and hearing about some of the problems and good parts..

his came stock with bfg i believe g-force t/a's, pretty comfortable to sit in and you could find one with the optional "viper" seats. the car is pretty fast, but on the street and strip, no chance whatso ever of dropping the clutch. you will shake the whole car to pieces with axle hop.

some other minor problems he has had with his as well as a bunch of other srt 4's some reason they are having problems with the turbos and they are wearing out very very pre-maturely. when he got his, it would hold 13-15 psi of boost and now it can only hold like 9 or so. but if chrysler can get ahold of parts for them they will warranty that. My brothers friend had a set of axle shafts wear out at 20K miles, ive never heard of a car do that before?

but all in all, its still a fun car to drive, good brakes, good handling.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 09:30 AM
Full Metal

Send a message via AIM to RedThunder94 Send a message via Yahoo to RedThunder94
i fit in them, but barely, and i'm a big guy, awesomely fast, and the one i test drove back in 04 had the bfg tires.

here's my old thread btw. clicky

Smash Forehead on Keyboard to Continue....

2004 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
Pioneer DEH-P6000UB Infinity 2 way 6x8's, and Eclipse 5x7 3 ways, Fultron Tweets, Infinity 1211A, Alpine SWR-1222D Type-R 12.

1999 VW New Beetle SOLD!

1990 F150 Lariat Xlt 4.9L std cab longbed, E4OD, Work Truck.

1994 F150 XL 5.0L 4R70W Current Project.

Member of the MN12Online posse.

click here to check 'em out.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 08:37 PM
PostWhore

My job gave me the chance to drive a few SRT-4s at Willow Springs raceway at speed. It's without question the best FWD car I've ever driven--it has the handling of the SVT Focus but a ton more power and speed. The engine is stout and can handle a lot more power, too. For the price, it's also pretty hard to find anything else that can keep up with one (at least among new cars, I have no idea what its resale value is like). I don't think you'd be disappointed, but try to find one with the Quaife differential, which I think is in the 04-up models.

Executive Editor, Ford Builder Magazine--hit me up if your ride is worthy!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 10:52 AM
6th Gear Poster

http://www.mopar.com/street/products_srt4_stage3.htm

1997 Sport - Work in progress:>
MP BB 304 Teksid 4v- w IC'd / Ported M112
Need:
Eaton pulley puller (VMP or BF preferred)
H/E
Cowl Hood
FRPS
FORE Regulator
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 11:11 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to edg1957
My buddy has one, just a few mods and he runs 13.1's in the 1/4. Damn fast little cars, stays pretty close to my LS1 from a roll...Certainly faster than my LX!

Ed

1996 LX - SOLD March 2003
1996 Sport - New project Dec 2005
2002 Z28 - 11.73 @ 11.81/1.50 60 ft - Bolt ons!
www.streetsleepers.com
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 03:49 PM

A little info:

'03 was th first year for the SRT4. Rated at 215hp/235tq. Had an "open" front dif and rolled on Mich. Pilots.

'04 & '05 got bigger injectors and a Quaife limited slip (all gear torque biasing, so no "clutch packs" to burn up). Power was upped to 230hp/250tq. Most will dyno in that range to the wheels. Dodge seems to have either under-rated the power, or took the power ratings at the wheels. Both years roll on BFG KDW 2's.
An ACR (Amercian Club Racer) package was available about 1/2 way thru the '05 year. Included different rims in 16" instead of 17", and some small adjustments on the suspension.

On all models, the "viper" seats were standard. Only 3 option were available for all 3 years. Moonroof, "Livin' loud kicker" stereo with 6 cd changer, and side curtain airbags, which caused the viper seats to go bye-bye in exhange for some low back buskets.

Dodge also offered an "SRT4" Design package for the regular neon. In other words, a clone. Same hood(with scoop), front clip, rear wing and dual exhaust.
However, the exhaust on the "clone" is attached to a muffler which is clearly visible from behind the car. True SRT4's don't have mufflers.

The motor is NOT a Mitsubishi 4G64, although it has a Mitsu turbo. The 4G64 is a SOHC, this is a DOHC.It's a redesign and beefed up version of the 2.4 that is in the PT cruiser. Dollar for dollar, new for new, and stock for stock it has NO competion.

Hope this info helps. I would say buy one if you can find a NEW one on the lot somewhere. Otherwise, run away!!!

2004 SRT-4: stock/daily driver
1997 Talon AWD: Minor mods/good winter car
1992 Ranger: Can't kill it

Last edited by srt4-guy; 02-11-2006 at 04:28 PM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Tx_Cat Send a message via MSN to Tx_Cat Send a message via Yahoo to Tx_Cat
Thanks for the inputs. I'll start looking for an 04-up. I went to a dealership and they had only 2, which I liked a Black one, but DAMN, payment of $450-500 pero month without including insurance? lol BUt I'll keep my options open, I really like my cat bue I think it's time for a new toy while I modidy my car

PhotobucketNitrous and boost go together like peanut butter and jellyPhotobucket

Nuttin make you feel more like a man in a Thunder Cougar Falcon Bird

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 01:23 AM
5th Gear Poster

My friend had a srt-4the insurance on it was not a lot becasue it was still considered a family car he was 17
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 09:53 AM
6th Gear Poster

Only gripe I have with the car is the looks, it still looks a little too weenie for me.

That would be ok, if it meant it was a sleaper and incognito, off the cop radar, etc.

But its not that either.

Lots of attention from cops, I would guess because they expect to see a young punk driver, or the cops are young punks themselves... but I dunno.

Personally for that price range, I could easily have a clean lightning, much less attention from the cops, and a machine with serious potential, good durability and great utility.

Just my .02 if I had a long commute I'm sure the gas mileage of the Neon would be a consideration, but its not a concern for me.

1997 Sport - Work in progress:>
MP BB 304 Teksid 4v- w IC'd / Ported M112
Need:
Eaton pulley puller (VMP or BF preferred)
H/E
Cowl Hood
FRPS
FORE Regulator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in