School - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Dim Bulb

Send a message via AIM to Falcon5783 Send a message via MSN to Falcon5783 Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon5783
School

Okay so maybe it's just me, but I'm thinking I could get a really good deal on some edumacation... I just started a new job working as a paint prepper for (obviously) a painter, to which I'm hoping I can actually get into doing some paint work. In having worked at an autobody collision center, and now moving into a paint shop, with some persuasion from my parents I stopped by a local votec school for a collision/refinishing course. They've got a 4-qtr certificate, and a 6-quarter degree (with certificate), plus any social sciences etc (already have those). The full 2-year AAS degree works out to be about $4,900, tool and books are estimated at about $5,200 or so, all in all it works out to be about 10k for a two year degree, I'd keep all my tools, and learn in an environment with all up-to-date equipment. If I apply for FAFSA and get the full PELL grant amount (which is probably fairly feasible at this point), I'd be elligble for I think $1,350 per quarter, and I'd only be out about 4-5k for my degree. So given the circumstances, price, etc, what do you guys think about the deal?

+1

Elliot
'95 who-the-hell-knows-what in progress
2003 Mustang Cobra radiator, 180* T-stat, Hayden Ultra-cool auxiliary transmission cooler, 13" slotted/cross-drilled front rotors, Dual-Piston PBR calipers Powder Coated Red w/ black logo, 17" 7-spoke Chrome Motegis, JVC Arsenal 5000 HU with touch screen, Kappa 5x7's, Audiobahn 12 pushing 550 rms, FF50 driving lights, FF75 fog lights, xenon 95 air dam, 97 side skirts, rear window tbird decal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 04:50 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to whitecoug
Usually, there are alternative loans that you can apply for, other grants from the school, etc to help off set the cost of schooling. At ISU, a resident pays somewhere around $14K per year in tuition, room/board, etc. I have enough loans (some I pay interest on) to fully cover that cost each year. There are definately places out there that will get you money to get an education.

Joe

1994 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L Special Edition

PnP'd NPIs, PI Cams, PI intake, 80mm GT MAF, 24# Injectors, Shorty Headers, SCT Tuned, Jmod, Trans Cooler, 3.73's, Underdrives, Zex Dry kit 75 shot, Dirtydog TC, Trans built by Darrin, 97 Cupholders

219 RWHP/256 RWTQ NA
280 RWHP/343 RWTQ Bottle Fed (75 shot)
[email protected] mph 5/20/06

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Dim Bulb

Send a message via AIM to Falcon5783 Send a message via MSN to Falcon5783 Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon5783
Yeah I could definately get a school loan if I had to. I can always apply for scholarships and pay some outta pocket, and if all else fails, though I REALLY don't want to, I've got stocks I could sell off. Whitecoug, are you near Thomas Abney, ever been through class with him?

+1

Elliot
2003 Mustang Cobra radiator, 180* T-stat, Hayden Ultra-cool auxiliary transmission cooler, 13" slotted/cross-drilled front rotors, Dual-Piston PBR calipers Powder Coated Red w/ black logo, 17" 7-spoke Chrome Motegis, JVC Arsenal 5000 HU with touch screen, Kappa 5x7's, Audiobahn 12 pushing 550 rms, FF50 driving lights, FF75 fog lights, xenon 95 air dam, 97 side skirts, rear window tbird decal
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 06:34 PM
Beer and Cheese

Garage
You could all ways join the Air National Guard (one weekend a month and two weeks a year), and get the GI bill and kicker; basically they would pay you to go to school. I'm going part time right now for my AD in fire science, I all ready have my FF 1 and 2 so now just need to take the general ed classes. The AF is paying for every thing, some thing to think about. Plus what ever job you choose you can get college credits for Basic training and the job you decide to go with. If you have any questions..You have my aim

Thanks,

Josh

God Bless the men & women who have served and serving to keep us free
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 11:33 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon5783
Yeah I could definately get a school loan if I had to. I can always apply for scholarships and pay some outta pocket, and if all else fails, though I REALLY don't want to, I've got stocks I could sell off. Whitecoug, are you near Thomas Abney, ever been through class with him?
Yup, sure am. He lives on the other side of town from me, but we get together now and again. Don't have class with him, I think he said he was heading back to DMAC this semester, and I'm going to ISU.

Joe

PnP'd NPIs, PI Cams, PI intake, 80mm GT MAF, 24# Injectors, Shorty Headers, SCT Tuned, Jmod, Trans Cooler, 3.73's, Underdrives, Zex Dry kit 75 shot, Dirtydog TC, Trans built by Darrin, 97 Cupholders

219 RWHP/256 RWTQ NA

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 12:06 AM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to 93Nightmistbird
el, i hate school....its midnight and i just got home from chicago and i have to be up in less than 6 hours with no sleep, gahh...

but whatever your talking about sounds like a good deal...thumbs up from me

Owner, for some strange reason, has decided to spend her money on Photography Equipment. Preferably Canon. Any chance of Donations to a poor college Equine Science student? hehe

I can try, can't I?....

Oh, and I can't wait for Halloween Weekend!!!

My other Favorite places: MySpace, Myspace Blog, Facebook, Photography on the Net, Southern Illinois University at Carbondale
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Dim Bulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecoug
Yup, sure am. He lives on the other side of town from me, but we get together now and again. Don't have class with him, I think he said he was heading back to DMAC this semester, and I'm going to ISU.

Joe
Make sure to kick him squa in the nuts for me, he hasn't been around in a while. How do you like your college? He was trying to recruit me to look into it a while ago lol

Thanks Steph, glad you had a good day, sleep well

+1

Elliot
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 08:08 AM
PostWhore

Well, it's alright for a school I guess. I'm an Ag Engr, and we have one of the top 3 programs nation wide, so it's pretty decent. We keep getting increases in tution and now have a special engineering fee, so it keeps getting more expensive. Thus, I have decided to take summer classes just to be done next May.

Joe

219 RWHP/256 RWTQ NA

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 09:19 AM
PostWhore

I say go for it. Though Ive been getting screwed around for the past two years by my college, got screwed outta 3 classes so I have to take two over the summer and one sometime after, among other things there. But It will be worth it, and I got a good deal on a line of credit from my bank so it wont be too bad when Im done, bout 10k I figure total almost no interest and very easy payment terms. The guys I went to HS with all wish theyd gone too ( Im the only one)

"She aint a Cadillac and she aint a Rolls, but there aint nothin wrong with the radio"

Of course everyone loves a hard worker, they do all the work!

90 LS - gone damn city drivers
93 Explorer XL 2dr 4x4 - totalled does anyone in that f*ckin city know how to drive

OK, that was twice in 6 months, red means STOP
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Dim Bulb

Blue what kinda school are you going to and what are you persuing?

+1

Elliot
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 12:04 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ben_cline Send a message via MSN to ben_cline Send a message via Yahoo to ben_cline
My bro is going to school for Auto Collision Repair. It's pretty good. He's thinking of either working in a shop and maybe starting his own shop after a while, or being a claims adjuster. He wants to live in Columbia with his fiance, so there should be plenty of work with either route. So if you don't want to work on cars, you can work for an insurance agency. That'll keep your options open.

Benjamin' 07/30/82 Christian MySpace CarDomain
Celica and Chevy 1500 are sold for parts. Now I'm left with the broken Buick and my '98 Dakota.
Bedroom: Pioneer VSX23, DefTech BP6s (front) ProCenter 2000, Mirage Omni 350s, 10" Kicker L7 pushed by PExpress plate amp, XBox 360, PS3, 50" LG 3D plasma.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in