I feel like driving my car right through the stealership's offices! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Angry I feel like driving my car right through the stealership's offices!

Okay, when I bought my PT Cruiser back in September, I figured that it wouldn't be so bad since it should be a reliable and efficient vehicle. It has been anything but, and the dealership doesn't seem to be willing to do anything about it. I've had the vehicle in the dealership's shop at least 5 times already. The alignment was out the first day I had it and had to be fixed. I recently had the power steering pump replaced, which they charged me the $100 deductable for (would've been $385 without warranty coverage). I've had it in several times for poor gas mileage and an electrical issue, but they keep trying to tell me that it's completely normal.

Okay, so it's normal for a PT to get 11.9 MPG in the city, 19 MPG on the highway, and for the interior lights and headlights to dim/flicker on their own or when I hit the brakes? Sure, especially when last night I hit the brakes and the headlights completely went out for about two seconds. That's not good on a dark road at 11:30 at night. I already contacted Chrysler, but they say they can't do anything about it since the dealership is independently owned, but that my complaint was put in their file. I went back to the dealership yet again today, but they say all they can do is keep trying to fix it or trade me out of it. Their only "possibility" for a trade-out was a new Neon for $450 a month, which is WAY out of my price range, and I don't want a Neon anyway.

I'm sick of dealing with these people. Is there anything I can do to force them to do something about this?

"Push the stands back, take the plates off, and let us RACE!" ~ Dale Earnhardt, Sr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 06:29 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

IN Lemon Law

Indiana has a lemon law, but it looks like it has to be a 'single problem' that the dealer can't fix after like 4 tries.

:
The statements in this post are my opinions only.
If you have a problem with them, please PM me
and keep the boards clear of flame wars.

:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

It's been in for the gas mileage about 4 times, but their records won't show that since they refused to look at it once.

"Push the stands back, take the plates off, and let us RACE!" ~ Dale Earnhardt, Sr.
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 07:56 PM
Dim Bulb

Send a message via AIM to Falcon5783 Send a message via MSN to Falcon5783 Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon5783
So take it in once more for the fourth time to look at it

+1

Elliot
'95 who-the-hell-knows-what in progress
2003 Mustang Cobra radiator, 180* T-stat, Hayden Ultra-cool auxiliary transmission cooler, 13" slotted/cross-drilled front rotors, Dual-Piston PBR calipers Powder Coated Red w/ black logo, 17" 7-spoke Chrome Motegis, JVC Arsenal 5000 HU with touch screen, Kappa 5x7's, Audiobahn 12 pushing 550 rms, FF50 driving lights, FF75 fog lights, xenon 95 air dam, 97 side skirts, rear window tbird decal
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 08:36 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

www.tryadifferentdealer.com

CMP Drag Racing
best ET: 12.410 -- best MPH: 107.61
NMRA MM7270 -- NMCA EFI/? ????
Thank you to the CMP Drag Racing team: Tony, Doug, Maryann, Dale, Paul and Chris.

post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 08:40 PM
1st Gear Poster

my mom bought a PT loser. I hate that car
she purchased it for $20,000 brand new off the dealership in 2003 (overpriced IMO)
she takes it to the dealership every other month for service.
the thermastat went out.
the rotors already wraped.
poor gas milelage as well.
pulls to one side on freeway
and now recently she found out that the cylinder heads wheres cracked from a overheating problem. car only has 35,000 miles it.
I would make them trade you for another one without the problems
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 09:38 PM
Awaiting E-Mail Confirmation

It is strange to me to hear about how bad these things are. My mother bought one as soon as they came out. Over the years she has put close to 100k miles on it. The only thing that has broken on it was the battery cable corroded until it split in two last week.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 11:05 PM

Does the car still have the factory warranty? If so, any Chrysler dealership should work on it. You also could file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, but nothing may come out of it.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicRattlehead

I don't really feel like driving 50+ miles to the next Chrysler dealership. If they don't do something about this, I will seek an attorney.

post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell all Paul
Does the car still have the factory warranty? If so, any Chrysler dealership should work on it. You also could file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, but nothing may come out of it.

It doesn't have the factory warranty, but I'm paying extra per month for an extended 2-year/24,000-mile full-coverage warranty. They just don't seem to know what they're doing, or they don't care. All they ever seem to do is hook it up to the computer. I think the only time they ever popped the hood was to replace the power steering pump (unless they can do that underneath the "car", eliminating another need to open the hood ).

post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 01:10 AM
6th Gear Poster

You could do like my neighbors dad did when he bought his new 2005 Chevy pickup. They wouldnt fix the problems, nor take the vehicle back...SO...he cut out and made his own yellow lemon shaped magnets and stuck them all over his truck, which let people know it was a lemon, and put the dealerships name on it. He drove it for about 3 months like that. Then they were tired of seeing it, and it actually ruined some of their business. So they replaced the truck, and gave him a new one. Hasnt had a single problem with it yet.

I'm sure you could find some yellow magnet squares somewhere, like a hardware store or somethin, just shape em like a lemon and go to the dealership and say "look, you guys need to fix my vehicle, or replace it, OR i'm going to keep driving my PT cruiser around like this, with lemons tattooed all over it, and your business name, so people know you have crappy vehicles" or somethin like that.
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 03:24 AM
Dim Bulb

Send a message via AIM to Falcon5783 Send a message via MSN to Falcon5783 Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon5783
as much as I'd find that hilarious, I think that borderlines slander. I think it MIGHT be legal because it's not in a publication, but I'm not positive of the details. Still, that'd certainly get their attention

+1

Elliot
2003 Mustang Cobra radiator, 180* T-stat, Hayden Ultra-cool auxiliary transmission cooler, 13" slotted/cross-drilled front rotors, Dual-Piston PBR calipers Powder Coated Red w/ black logo, 17" 7-spoke Chrome Motegis, JVC Arsenal 5000 HU with touch screen, Kappa 5x7's, Audiobahn 12 pushing 550 rms, FF50 driving lights, FF75 fog lights, xenon 95 air dam, 97 side skirts, rear window tbird decal
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 05:53 AM
Awaiting E-Mail Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon5783
as much as I'd find that hilarious, I think that borderlines slander. I think it MIGHT be legal because it's not in a publication, but I'm not positive of the details. Still, that'd certainly get their attention
Slander would be "They are a bunch of cheating liars." Saying, "I bought this truck at Joe's Dealership and it is always tore up," is only telling the truth.
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 09:15 AM

welcome to the horrible world of "extended warrenty". The dealership DOES sell you the warrenty but there hands are tied behind there back when it comes to actually doing repairs under the warrenty. They, the Extended Warrenty companies, operate just like most insurance companies, DENY EVERY CLAIM. the dealership is responsible to prove that the "mafunction" is 100% the cars fault and not from abuse, improper maintainece, or an act of god. If the dealership can prove that then the deny the claim and get stuck with the bill which is why they don't really want to look at it again unless they are 99% sure they can find the cause immediatly. Extended warrenty should never be boughten as they usually find you at fault for a failure 90% of the time, Wait until you gernade the Tranny or pop a headgasket........ Driver abuse.....

1996 Thunderbird LX 3.8L
-255rwhp 273rwtq-
-Vortech V1 S-trim [email protected], aftercooled-
-Built 4R70W W/3200rpm PI
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC
-stock, stock, big dent, and more stock-
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 10:12 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman_72
Slander would be "They are a bunch of cheating liars." Saying, "I bought this truck at Joe's Dealership and it is always tore up," is only telling the truth.

I agree that just having the dealerships name on your truck would not be slander. I don't think you even need to say that you have had problems. Just having their name written on a 'lemon shape' would get the point across quite nicely.

I say go for it, it's not like they are your favorite people right now. (unless you don't want to drive around in a lemon car........)

:
The statements in this post are my opinions only.
If you have a problem with them, please PM me
and keep the boards clear of flame wars.

:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 01:00 PM
leet sauce

omg that is awesoem!
smart people always succeed!
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 01:42 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Sounds like a sucky experience all around, no all that far away from what my grand parents are going through. I am surprised that you haven't had any cooling maladies and head gaskets. Say what you want, I got 120k out of my Cougar before the head gaskets went out, and I can't say I wasn't partially to blame, but a few year old car on the second set of gaskets and heads, ouch. Seems like a weak spot on them along with other things. It sucks for my grand parents, heads after warranty expired, extended one didn't cover it fully, chunk of change. My grand father (lives in the mountains miles away from civilization and is in his 80s) had to buy a beater Ranger to have a vehicle that he can successfully drive more than 3 times in a row.

I thought a plus side was it got good mileage, but it sucks for that too. He loves it for the looks and slight utility value it has, but he was better off with his 80's grand wagoneer.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 04:36 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon5783

It's never slander (or libel) if the statement is based on truth.

Looking for another MN12 for a new project!
1997 Thunderbird Sport SOLD! :-(
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 05:57 PM
Dim Bulb

As true as that is, companies have big budgets for keeping bad PR like that under wraps

http://whatdidyoubringme.homestead.c...itMagnets.html - seventh row down, under tropical fruits

+1

Elliot
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 12:27 PM
Veteran Poster

Drive the 50 miles to another dealer!! Take a couple days off if you need to and drop it of, with an appointment, first thing in the morning. If necessary, have them bill you and you submit it to your warranty company (read fine print first). There is no excuse for a dealer doing that, they know you're far from the next one and will do anything to keep from getting it fixed (more deductibles to collect)

SOLD!!!!

5.4 block from 99 expedition bored .20 over
Forged crank/Manley Rods/JE flat tops/chromemoly rings and Steeda Underdrives
P&P PI heads (by me) w/ 3 angle valve job w/copper gaskets with ARP studs/bolts and One piece lightning cams
80mm Pro-M MAF and Cut & welded '95 4.6 intake
Jmodded Trans & Trac-loc pumpkin (Cobra) 3.27
Raxles, ADDCO 1 1/4", Eibachs, JL Braces
18" CEC type 169 wheels w/ 245/40 front 255/45 rear
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 02:53 PM
6th Gear Poster

Doesn't the lemon law only apply to new vehicles? It's pretty much buyer beware when your buying a used vehicle, though most dealers offer a 30 day warranty.

I hate it for you. I was looking at a PTCruiser for my wife unti I looked at the mileage figures. My V8 bird gets better mileage than that little I4. 12 MPG around town sounds awful low for a 4 cyl. I discppointed because my '98 Explorer 4WD I bought gets 15MPG arounds town, 20 HWy, but that's with 4.10 gears. You should be getting much better with the PT.

Trade it, that's probably what the former owner did to get rid of it.

97 T-Bird Sport: Dynomax catback, Removed silencer w/ K&N panel, DReinhart chip, Lightning AGSF12-FM1 plugs/180 stat, Tokico 1.25" dropped stance, bye bye fender gap

'79 F100 SB : 300 ci six, Hurst Mastershift 3spd floor shifter, Offenhauser intake, Holley 4 brrl, EFI manifolds, Chebbie Rockers, Summit Racing 3.50 gearset, DISO 2.5" diesel muffler and 2.5" exhaust, Its'a six?!
post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Update: I got a call from DBM today. "We hooked it up and we can't find anything wrong with it. Also, I tried to get the lights to flicker, but they haven't yet. Is there anything you could suggest that might get them to flicker?" "Nope. They do it on their own. And what about the mileage? Did you check the cats and the O2 sensors?" "Yeah, those would've shown up in the computer if there was something wrong with them. Only thing I can suggest is for you to drive it around and start writing down your mileage recordings, that way I have something to show to the service people or Chrysler so we can maybe get it fixed."

Okay, so a dirty catalytic converter or O2 sensor would show up on the car's computer? I've never heard of that being possible. Oh, and you can't take my word for it, but if I write down some numbers on paper, that's proof enough? Okay, let me get my calculator out and start making up some numbers for you. I told the idiot to keep the vehicle there until he finds the problems. Inside, I was hoping that the tornado we had in the area last night had gone through the dealership and wiped it all out (this was after everyone was gone, so don't call me sadistic ).

post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 08:43 PM
Dim Bulb

that's not sadistic, that'd be awesome

+1

Elliot
post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 08:48 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

yeah really its a chryler dealership, now if it was a ford dealership then it would be sad.
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 02:04 AM
5th Gear Poster

I like the lemon on the car!! I have seen people who were fed up with there cars that they bought from different lots use white shoe polish and write things on the window. You could write, "I got my PT Loser at (insert name), inquire about the crappy service, etc, etc." Now, after writing all over the rear, side windows, drive you piece of crap around your town, and remember to keep track of your gas mileage!! Also, a piece of plywood strapped to the back would give you a lot of room t list the cars problems, and people behind you could easily read it. Finally, park the beast in front of the business!!!
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 03:55 AM
Dim Bulb

No no, just park it across the street so the dealership can't have it towed on the grounds of vehicle abandonment or trespassing

+1

Elliot
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 06:46 AM

This may possibly help you and the dealership diagnose problems.

http://www.ptcruizer.com/repairs-pt-cruiser.html

You have never mentioned what year, how many miles, recent tune-ups, etc.

2004 SRT-4: stock/daily driver
1997 Talon AWD: Minor mods/good winter car
1992 Ranger: Can't kill it
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt4-guy
This may possibly help you and the dealership diagnose problems.

http://www.ptcruizer.com/repairs-pt-cruiser.html

You have never mentioned what year, how many miles, recent tune-ups, etc.

It's a 2002 Limited, and it's got less than 18,000 miles on it.

post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 08:31 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Hey Rally, I don't know about that gas mileage problem. On that thunderbird I bought from you, you had been complaining about the mileage on it. I haven't done a darn thing to it that would affect that and it gets about 19 city and 26 highway. I hate to be chiming in with this, but that thunderbird gets great mileage for what it is. I put it on the NGS the first time I was able to drive it and it actually ran really good. I logged all the data and its about perfect.
I am all for sticking it to a dealer when there is a problem that they won't take care of, don't get me wrong. I just wanted to let you know what happened with this car on that complaint of poor fuel economy. I haven't been able to duplicate it in several thousand miles of driving.

Good luck with it and I hope they get it fixed.
Darrin

Oh, have you put a stereo in that PT?

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin
Hey Rally, I don't know about that gas mileage problem. On that thunderbird I bought from you, you had been complaining about the mileage on it. I haven't done a darn thing to it that would affect that and it gets about 19 city and 26 highway. I hate to be chiming in with this, but that thunderbird gets great mileage for what it is. I put it on the NGS the first time I was able to drive it and it actually ran really good. I logged all the data and its about perfect.
I am all for sticking it to a dealer when there is a problem that they won't take care of, don't get me wrong. I just wanted to let you know what happened with this car on that complaint of poor fuel economy. I haven't been able to duplicate it in several thousand miles of driving.

Good luck with it and I hope they get it fixed.
Darrin

Oh, have you put a stereo in that PT?

I don't know why my mileage seems to be so low, then. I don't drive hard, and I don't idle except at stop lights. I really can't think of any other reason I'd be getting such low numbers.

And no, I haven't done any mods or upgrades to this thing at all. I don't like it enough to do that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in