p0125 - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

p0125

Hello. About three months ago I started up my 99 sc2, which I've maintained to the tee and has ran like a champ, and she started to sputter, blew a little white smoke, and then ran with eratic rpms during driving. I'll be cruising, regardless of speed, and the rpms will kick up for a few seconds, acting like an involuntary nitro boost. Normally she idles at 1100, but nowadays it's around 12 or 1300. First, I personally replaced the radiator, which had a 1/4" crack in the upper tank, no more white smoke on startup. Still the sporadic rpms and the difficulty starting when warm. Then I replaced the thermostat, the coolant temp sensor on the radiator hose, and finally the 02 sensor up on the block. A little smoother running, but still the immense difficulty starting when warm. When I start cold, it starts fine, despite the rpms hovering slightly above her optimal 1100rpms, and the temp guage shooting up to the mid point along with the cooling fan immediately coming on. So I'm thinking that somewhere, the computer thinks that the engine is overheating and so doesn't want to start up again as a protective measure. A couple of weeks ago I ran an obd which produced the p0125 ect error, but I didn't clear it because I didn't know how. Do you have to reset the computer in order for any "repairs" to take effect? Could it be the throttle body sensor? Thanks for your time, take care,
Greg
CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 06:50 PM
PostWhore

Cool

Hello and welcome to the boards. First question. I'm assuming that the car is a '99 "Saturn" SC2. Is that correct? If so, my Actron scanner software tells me that the engine is a 1.9, either with MFI or PFI. You say it's a 1.6? In any case, a code P0125 is - closed loop fuel control, insufficent coolant temperature. That tells me that the motor isn't operating at it's correct temperature. Another thing too, if you were throwing White smoke, not vapor, out your exhaust, that usually indicates a blown head gasket. Have you noticed any oily residue in the radiater on the cap? Any milky residue on your oil dip stick? These are tell tale signs of a bad head gasket. Let me know what you find out after you've checked these. Take care!!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

p0125

oops, yeah, I meant 1.9. I haven't noticed any residue on the cap or on the stick, but I'll do a double take asap. A couple of local mechanics sugested, by the smell when I started it, that it was getting a rich mixture and that the 02sensor might be the problem. Again, the white smoke went away as soon as I replaced the radiator. Perhaps the crack allowed for an excess of air to get sucked into the cooling system and threw the mixture off. Anyhow, the main issue is that once it's started, after it gets warm, it doesn't want to start back up again. When it's cold it starts, but the temp guage shoots up and the cooling fan comes on right away. I think it eventually turns off, though. According to a Saturn tech, 94 or 95 and above don't have a temp sensor on the block, but that the coolant sensor on the radiator hose, which I replaced, takes its place. Thanks again for the reply!
Greg
CA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in