Can't decide...trade or no?? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Unhappy Can't decide...trade or no??

Ok so I'm about to get a 99 Ford Explorer and I wasn't going to trade my car in, (a 96 Ford Thunderbird) but now I'm thinking it might be the more practical thing to do instead of what I want to do, which is keep it and fix it a little at a time. I love Tbirds, I've had 4 cars and all of them Tbirds. If my car didn't need as much work as it does, I wouldn't even be thinking about trading it. As of right now, it needs cats, it's leaking oil in 5 spots, brakes and front end work...oh and it has about 150,500 miles on it. The body and interior is in awesome condition. I've got a system in it, chrome rims. full sunroof and really the only other cosmetic stuff I want to do to it is add a rear spoiler, fresh paint job and tint the windows. I want to keep it as a 'project' car but I'm not a mechanic and I'm not currently dating one so I would have to pay someone to do the work which will be costly. So, if you were in my position....would you trade it or keep it?

My hearts saying keep it but my head is telling me to trade, it just makes more sense. Ahhhhh, I just don't know!

P.S. just a side note....when I was at the dealership and I told him I was interested in the Explorer the guy goes "well 4 doors really come in handy when you have kids" lol, I laughed and said "oh no, I don't have kids but I do like to shop a lot and need the extra space!" the look was priceless.

Teresa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 08:21 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to 5.0 bird
Sweetness, you must be doing some serious shopping if you can't get it all in the bird. Well, I think you've gotta ask yourself one thing. Would you rather have your bird or the lousy amount of cash they're probably gonna try to allow you for it. If it's enough to make it not worth having the car anymore then I'd say do it. If not then keep it.

Matt

1986 Cougar 5.0

1989 Mk VII LSC 5 speed (sold)

1992 Thunderbird Sport 5.0 (sold)
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 bird
Sweetness, you must be doing some serious shopping if you can't get it all in the bird. Well, I think you've gotta ask yourself one thing. Would you rather have your bird or the lousy amount of cash they're probably gonna try to allow you for it. If it's enough to make it not worth having the car anymore then I'd say do it. If not then keep it.

I do! I can't fit anything in the trunk with my box and subs in there...plus I'm always buying some type of 'build it yourself' furniture. lol

I was thinking about that too...they'll probably give me $1500 - $2000 for it and that's around how much it would cost me just to fix it, not fix it up. Plus, I love seeing a nice Cougar or Thunderbird driving down the road....I'm so sick of seeing the norm...Mustangs, Civics, some over priced car....I wanna have a hot Tbird and people go "wow, that's nice...what kind of car is that again?" that's the best.

Thanks for your comment/advise 5.0 bird

Teresa
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 09:54 PM
Awaiting E-Mail Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness45oh
...I was thinking about that too...they'll probably give me $1500 - $2000 for it...
If you trade your car in to a dealer you will always lose. They may tell you that they are giving you 2K for it but they will get it back somehow. If you want to get rid of it sell it yourself.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 09:57 PM
PostWhore

I say keep the Bird as a fun car. Like ya said there is something about these cars, the Cat leaks oil and PS fluid and the odometer is gonna hit 360,000 this weekend but I still wont get rid of it, when I finish school Im gettin another truck and the Cougar is getting a major overhaul. I think having a nice Cat/Bird is way better than any riced out civic or rich boy toys.

Besides, if you just go out what do ya wanna be, look like the snobby soccer mom in the SUV or that girl in the T-Bird

"She aint a Cadillac and she aint a Rolls, but there aint nothin wrong with the radio"

Of course everyone loves a hard worker, they do all the work!

90 LS - gone damn city drivers
93 Explorer XL 2dr 4x4 - totalled does anyone in that f*ckin city know how to drive

OK, that was twice in 6 months, red means STOP
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 11:34 PM
$.25 poster

Send a message via AIM to AlpineBird
keep it.

you wont get enough money from the dealership to justify losing the car....

'96 Alpine Bird 281ci
- Clear Corners
- DynoMax Cat-Back
- Purchased with 36,000 miles, now at 101k
- No mods planned untill it's DD life is over

1998 5.9 Limited Grand Cherokee
- Flowmaster Exhaust
- AEM Brute Force Intake
- Mopar Performance ECU

- 275hp-395ft/lbs at the crank (est.) Track results in the spring!!!
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 11:37 PM
Jedi Master

Don't leave us Teresa, i'll cry if you do....

-Orlando

friends don't let friends drive Chevy
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 11:45 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
What was said about the dealers "getting it back" is true somewhat.

If they offer you what seems like a fair (or even great) price on your trade, you can bet they are making enough off of what you are buying to make up for it. Now this isn't always bad. Some dealers do it to make it easier for you to get a loan. If the bank/loan company sees that you are putting XXX down (in the form of the trade) they are more likely to give a loan than if you are putting less "down". Weird huh.

Anyway, you will definitely lose money on a trade in. If you do trade it in, make sure you know what it is worth before you go in and make sure that is how much you get. Its also a good idea to let them believe you are buying outright before they find out you are trading in a car. (its amazing how that can affect how much they have in the car they are selling you!)

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Yea, I think I'm leaning more an more to just keeping it. Where there's a will there's a way....(now if I could only find a mechanic name Will...)

Teresa
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 12:34 PM
PostSlut

I'm sure some guy on here would be more than happy to lend a hand....

edit: damn, you posted to quick.

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 01:26 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Gcline
lol, im a mechanic, only not really, i just work at advance auto parts...

so if your needing parts

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 Sport 4.6L
P.I. Intake, Mustang T/B and Upper Plenum,B&M Heavy Duty Trans Cooler, Trans Temp Gauge, A/F Ratio Gauge, K&N Cone Filter, Air Silencer Delete, 50% Front 20% Rear Tint, A&A Fiberglass GFX Kit, Xenon Front Clip, Magnaflow High Flow Cats

2001 Nissan Altima GXE Limited Edition

Daily Driver, 38mpg!

Quote:
at least Ford can pay their bills and not go on welfare like GM and Chrysler.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 01:45 PM
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

Send a message via AIM to big mike
teresa, keep it. if you need help with repairs, charm some of the nj boys into helping you out, and repay them with some dinner. if you lived in texas...well, you know

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 01:53 PM
$.25 poster

Send a message via AIM to AlpineBird
hey i live in NJ, but im not a mechanic lol.

oh well. good luck with whatever you do with it.

'96 Alpine Bird 281ci
- Clear Corners
- DynoMax Cat-Back
- Purchased with 36,000 miles, now at 101k
- No mods planned untill it's DD life is over

1998 5.9 Limited Grand Cherokee
- Flowmaster Exhaust
- AEM Brute Force Intake
- Mopar Performance ECU

- 275hp-395ft/lbs at the crank (est.) Track results in the spring!!!
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 02:32 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Quote:
Yea, I think I'm leaning more an more to just keeping it. Where there's a will there's a way....(now if I could only find a mechanic name Will...)
Hi, I'm Will....

As someone who has usually owned a small "fleet" of vehicles, I feel your pain in making a decision like this. (I just went through one like it in deciding to repair or part out my 94!! )

Here’s just my .02:

Having too many vehicles, all of which have “pending upgrades/projects”, makes you get spread too thin. After years of having a car for this, a truck for that, a toy to play around with, etc., etc, etc. I’ve decided to limit myself to the necessities:

A truck for obvious reasons
A daily driver that gets good gas mileage and is reliable transportation
A car for trips/vacations and dates (like I ever use it for that… )
And a show/performance/”fun” car

That way time and money can be spent on just a few cars that you will get a lot more satisfaction upon completing set projects and goals.

But that’s just my .02… and did I mention my name is Will…Not really

Sadly, all my current cars still have pending projects!!!

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 02:49 PM
Jedi Master

Quote:
i'll change my name to Will....

-Orlando

post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 02:54 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to agutsechicken
I won't lie to you,my name is will and im a mechanic........ok I lied my name isnt will and im not exactly what you would call a mechanic. but id keep the bird,they are right you never get that great of a deal with dealers even if they say you do and you being a girl they probaly will jerk you around more(no afence) last time i bought a new-to me- truck i got them to drop the price by 2k but i was smart and signed the extended warrenty and jumped the price back up to about 2k or soor we could do a trade you nurture me and comfort me with this cold and i'll work on your car....o snaps we are to far away alwell.
anyway what im getting at is keep the bird.

Its a jeep thing I don't under stand.

Last edited by agutsechicken; 03-02-2006 at 03:13 PM.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

ok i'm keeping it. i might as well...i've poured my heart (and my money) into it so there's no way i'll get half of what would be consider 'worth it'. besides, i really would be upset seeing someone else driving my car down the road!

and to all the Will's (or wannabe Wills) thanks so much, lol, you guys are crazy!

i think i'm just gonna have to learn how to work on cars....

(Teresa knows
how to change wiper blades, fuses, bulbs, air filters and lets not forget about knowing where the dipsticks are and how to 'read' them

so far I'm off to a good start.....right??

Teresa
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 06:52 PM
4th Gear Poster

whats a dipstick?

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

it's the stick that shows you how much oil or trans fluid you have..right? don't tell me i just made an @ss outta myself!

Teresa
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 06:57 PM
4th Gear Poster

lol no i was makeing fun of me.Yes you are 100% correct although ive been called a dipstick befor too

post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 07:37 PM
PostSlut

Well the oil goes in the 710 cap.

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 10:03 PM
Jedi Master

i remember seeing this dude at autozone pouring tranny fluid where you pour in the engine oil....

-Orlando

post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 10:19 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
If you need help with any projects on your bird, I am a mechanic, and I am in NJ, and I don't mind helping out once it warms up. Don't get rid of the bird just for the trade in. Even if you have to take it off the road for a while to save registration and insurance costs, that would be better than getting rid of it.

Mike

PS. My stepfather did something once when he bought a new grand marquis. His trade in wasn't worth as much, but he was persistant about it so he got a good deal in the end. Here's what he did.
1)Negotiate a price with the salesman from the original $28000 to 22000
2)Once they settled the a price, then he told him about the taurus he wanted to trade in.
3)After negotiating with them to get $1800 for the taurus, he said he would think about it
4)Next day, offered them $20,200, or basically what he was going to give them but he wanted to keep the taurus. Since they had already put so much work into it and it was a leftover of the previous model year, they took it, so he got a $28000 car for just over $20000
5)After all ths was said and done, he paid cash so they didn't even make any money off the financing like they assumed they would. You probably don't have the option of this last step, but it was kind of cool cause by not telling them everything right away he let them keep assuming they would make the money somewhere else, and they never did.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 10:33 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Very good advice. Tell them as little as possible, let their assumptions work for you.

DON'T tell them about the trade in until you get a firm price on the car you're buying. Then negotiate what your trade in is worth.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
<<< SOLD >>>
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Yea, I'm not too good with talking to salemen. (This is the first time I'm actually buying semi new...or at least from a dealer not from some guy with a car on his lawn) When I went there, it was just for the hell of it b/c I honestly didn't think I would get approved for financing or that there was anything I would be interested in. But I found one that I like wayyyyy in the back of the lot that just came in. I was told it was gonna sell for $8500 and I said well I'll put $2k down on it but I'm not sure I'll get approved to finance the rest. Well I did and they dropped the price down to $8k for me since my family's bought so many cars off them. But last night I was looking on Edmunds.com and saw that the most a 99 Explorer would cost was like $6k (give or take a few hundred) so now I feel like I'm getting jipped or something. I mean, I know they have to make money too and being that this guy has always been good to us and backs up his word 110% I'm fine with giving some extra cash to him but I think another $500 or so should come off that price. Don't you?

Teresa
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 07:56 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
You will ALWAYS pay more at a dealership or used car lot than if you just shop around. Then when you factor in that you are also paying finance charges on top of that already inflated price... you're really getting hosed over!!

If you want to deal with a salesman, just stick to your guns and say, "$6K is all I'm willing to pay". DO NOT let them say, "Well what do you want your payments be?". ONLY talk a dollar amount, never, EVER monthly payments! It is so much easier for them to convince you to, "Only $20 more per month"... vs. an extra 2 or 3 grand!!

I use the dealerships/car lots to "research" the vehicles I'm interested in. Take them for test drives, see how you like or don't like them.... And then get the AutoTrader/Newspaper/eBay/etc. to actually buy the car. You can save upwards of $2K to $3K sometimes doing that. And one bought from an individual is usually just as good as one traded in at a lot. They brag that they "do multipoint inspections, etc..." Bull Shiet! They wash them and jack the price $2000!!!

Don’t think that “they have to make money also”. For what the pay for a trade in, believe me, they are making plenty of money!!!

Just my .02 and good luck.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 09:36 AM
PostWhore

Big dealers will rip ya off everytime. Buddy of mine was looking at newer trucks and I went with him, and the BS I heard. "We inspect all our vehicles and only buy off lease vehicles direct from Ford Credit, or GM, they have no accidents etc." ,

OK so then why are they going to take his car for a trade in which is not a lease and not from the company direct, and has also been in two collisions?

All the ones we looked at were from 3-6K over what they would go for privately. And of course there was the whole, we dont make alot on our sales, we make money on the volume that we sell, everything on this lot goes within a month.

You would be way better off to buy privately. When I bought the Ranger, the ones that were at the lots were 4-5k and not in the greatest condition. I got mine for half of that, and it was in perfect shape. Just look around, if your not in a rush to buy something youll find a great deal.

"She aint a Cadillac and she aint a Rolls, but there aint nothin wrong with the radio"

Of course everyone loves a hard worker, they do all the work!

90 LS - gone damn city drivers
93 Explorer XL 2dr 4x4 - totalled does anyone in that f*ckin city know how to drive

OK, that was twice in 6 months, red means STOP
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 09:53 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I just sold a 2000 Eddie Bauer Explorer with low miles for much less than that. I believe it was close to 6500.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
<<< SOLD >>>
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 10:13 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ben_cline Send a message via MSN to ben_cline Send a message via Yahoo to ben_cline
If you sell it, I'd sell to someone else. You'd probably wanna remove ANYTHING that you'd want to keep for another MN12. I looked at a Mark VIII once. They're niceeee. I think my grandma was kinda scared, but I wanted to test it out. Only thing was the bags were going out, interior was going to crap, and I didn't trust the guys there. Real crappy car lot. They didn't detail their cars or anything.

Personally, I'd want to have something with lower mileage. Mine have always seemed to have stuff go wrong around 160k.

Also, something that helps your insurance, get a junky car or one with less value, have that be your main vehicle, and insurance will be cheaper on your other one. This, um, one girl has the title to something like an 89 Dodge Shadow, and drives an 04 Sunfire. She's never seen the Shadow, but apparently they just use the title to bring insurance on the Sunfire down. So maybe if you get a little car, or something you can pay less insurance on, that'd be the way to go. Or you could get an Aspire, like someone I know, and get better gas mileage when you can't drive your Explorer.

Benjamin' 07/30/82 Christian MySpace CarDomain
Celica and Chevy 1500 are sold for parts. Now I'm left with the broken Buick and my '98 Dakota.
Bedroom: Pioneer VSX23, DefTech BP6s (front) ProCenter 2000, Mirage Omni 350s, 10" Kicker L7 pushed by PExpress plate amp, XBox 360, PS3, 50" LG 3D plasma.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in