Windows 10 Upgrade? - Page 5 - TCCoA Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 135 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 12:45 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston-Bull View Post
About time this was said "It's not the end of the world if you do upgrade. It's livable."
Yes but I see no compelling reason to jump on board for MS version of OSx or Android, and if there is nothing to gain why do I need to spend time retweaking the UI.

To date the features everyone is talking about is Cortana, Edge and fixed Windows 8 interface. So if you have Win7, don't use IE, or don't need a talking search function what is to be gained over Win7?

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 135 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 04:40 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowez View Post
Yes but I see no compelling reason to jump on board for MS version of OSx or Android, and if there is nothing to gain why do I need to spend time retweaking the UI.

To date the features everyone is talking about is Cortana, Edge and fixed Windows 8 interface. So if you have Win7, don't use IE, or don't need a talking search function what is to be gained over Win7?

It's dealers choice. Yes, if you're happy with Win 7 there's no need to upgrade. There are just as many reasons not to upgrade as there are to upgrade.

But, off the top of my head here are a few reasons beyond those you outlined above why one might want to switch.
  • Support beyond 2020 (3 years, 5 months & 23 days from now)
  • Cut & paste into command prompt - if you ever use it ...
  • It's still free (It won't be after July 29 - You'll have to pay $119 for it after that) For me this would be the biggest reason to go ahead and make the switch.
  • Eligibility for future updates - For Free
  • Speed (Yes, it's faster than Win 7), Security & Stability
  • Faster & better start menu searches of your files

If you do not like it, rollback to your old Windows - the free license is still yours to keep.

To Upgrade Or Not To Upgrade To Windows 10 -- That Is The Question!

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #123 of 135 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 06:50 AM

I am still using Windows 8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 135 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 04:50 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rf-harris View Post
I am still using Windows 8
Ouch, that is one I would have upgraded from with out question.

So how is everyone liking the anniversary update? BSOD?

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #125 of 135 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 11:32 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowez View Post
Ouch, that is one I would have upgraded from with out question.

So how is everyone liking the anniversary update? BSOD?
The only device that gave me a little grief was my Intel Compute Stick (basically, a full Win PC with and HDMI plug that is designed to turn any TV into a "Win-based smartTV". I use it in my tbird to control/datalog the Quarterhorse.

It originally shipped with Win 8 which I then upgraded to Win 10 without any fuss.
The anniversary update took a little more work b/c after it downloaded, there wasn't enough space on the stick (32GB total - current Win 10 - Anniversary installer = <16GB free).
I ended up downloading the update onto a USB stick and installing from there.

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
post #126 of 135 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 11:36 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
BTW, if you missed the deadline and still want to upgrade to Win 10 (you should esp if you use Win 8), MSFT is still allowing anyone who uses Windows with the assistive technologies (like the magnifier) to upgrade. No doctors note needed. Just turn on the magnifier before installation if you wanna be extra paranoid.

See details here:
Here's how to get Windows 10 for free -- still - CNET

PS. Personally, I wouldn't put it off any longer if running Win 7/8. While there is no deadline on this upgrade offer, it could get pulled at any time.

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
post #127 of 135 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 02:31 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
I noticed today that there's another push on to update WIN 10. I'm currently running build 1803. I've seen that 1809 and 1903 are shit. Any of you IT guys have any thoughts on these build?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 09-14-2019 at 02:38 PM.
post #128 of 135 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 08:50 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
I have 1903 on my laptop and the only thing I noticed specifically is the Bluetooth will not connect to anything, which has been hit and miss on this device intermittently anyway.

I’m glad you posted that video, I have some important files and programs I don’t want to lose I left in downloads so I’ll be sure to migrate them to a new folder before I run a cleanup. God I hate Windows 10.

-Matt
post #129 of 135 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 09:18 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
We have been pushing out the most recent builds when we set up new images at the clients. So far we haven't run into anything with 1809 or 1903 that causes headaches... but the school year has just begun. One thing we always do before building the images is "decrapify" them in an audit boot - i.e. get rid of all the MS bloatware.
Trunk Monkey likes this.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #130 of 135 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 11:39 AM

Super Moderator

Garage
Brandon,

Can you give me a short how-to about how to "decrapify" my own PC? What exactly do you delete? Can it all be done from add/remove programs?

I also had a question about the TCCoA forum I recently noticed on my office laptop that attached images and avatars stopped showing up in Firefox. The drop down menus also stopped working. Did our overlords change something recently?

Which blocker is interfering with them loading? I'm running Ublock, Ghostery and NoScript. Thanks.

post #131 of 135 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 12:09 PM
Kind of slapped together

Super Moderator

I'd have to guess Ghostery since I run UBlock and NoScript and they work for me. Albeit in Brave (a Chromium based browser.)

RwP

Fuelly
post #132 of 135 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 08:21 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
Copy and paste the script from here....

https://community.spiceworks.com/scr...fier-18xx-19xx

.... into a notepad file. Then save it as a .ps1 (click "all files" for save as type, then include the extension when you name it). On the machine you want to decrapify, load up an audit boot (ctrl+shift+f3 during the "set up Windows" process) or you can invoke audit mode directly from sysprep in System32. Fire up an admin powershell once you're there (Windows + x) and run...

"set-executionpolicy unrestricted" and confirm "y" when it asks

Then enter the path to the executable ps1 file, followed by any arguments/flags separated with a space. E.g. d:\decrap.ps1 -clearstart

When you're done finish up with "set-executionpolicy restricted" and reboot into OOBE. If you're doing this on an already-in-use system, you will need to delete any old Windows accounts before rebooting as well, to ensure they grab the decrapfied settings when building the profile from the defaults. Obviously, back up any data before you do that.
RalphP and CDsDontBurn like this.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #133 of 135 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 06:42 AM
Kind of slapped together

Super Moderator

Heh.

Wish I had that .PS1 file four months ago ...

RwP

Fuelly
post #134 of 135 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 12:11 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Thanks Brandon!

On my other issue. After going through the scripts individually it looks like ajax.googleapis.com was the script that blocked the drop down menus. They resumed working after I enabled that script. Anyone else notice this or am I the odd one out?

post #135 of 135 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 01:35 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Super Moderator

Garage
I have vertalscope, woopra, and tccoa as being allowed to run the site in NoScript.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in