Network Sound - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Network Sound

Looking at play audio over the LAN curious what the best setup is. Coming form a local live source. Been looking an Sonos, but not interested in the internet radio stuff.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 10:12 AM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
I'm not doing this at the moment, but I used to have VLC set up to stream on the server, and any client could hook to that stream.

That works for video and audio, as long as you don't send Blu-ray quality video to the old 486 computer to play.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 12:15 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I use VLC for network streams as well, although in my case it's typically a Blu-ray streaming from MakeMKV on my BD equipped PC to one of the other devices with VLC in the house. I don't have much experience with VLC as the media server (I do however use WMP's built in server to access movies and music across the network via the PS3 downstairs).

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 161k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 155k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
I'm not doing this at the moment, but I used to have VLC set up to stream on the server, and any client could hook to that stream.

That works for video and audio, as long as you don't send Blu-ray quality video to the old 486 computer to play.
Even a live stream, ie: Line In source?
I found plenty of stuff for serving files.

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
93 5.0 Tbird
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 11:33 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Q: Are you trying to have the sound synchronized automatically from multiple speakers? Meaning, you have one song playing out of multiple speakers in the house and the audio is in sync?

Or, do you want to play file A2 stored in room A on speaker B in room B with no relation to File A2 being played back on speaker C in room C?

Sound synchronization is a trickier thing as each sound output device must know it's distance from the other sound output devices to stay in sync.
-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 03:08 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
I've found that as long as the server isn't playing musing, everything is amazingly close; apparently all the 'players' have about the same latency.

But VLC has a menu for syncing stuff up, also.

If it's a Line Level source, I'd put small amps in each room, and run then from a central spot.

At one time I had the stereo in the living room running an amp in my room, the basement, garage, and back porch.

Now it's all bluetooth; one USB transmitter, multiple receivers.

I digitized all my music, Vinyl and all.

If you like Rush, either get the FLAC files, or record the vinyl; the CD's suck (Too loud, too much compression) after about Exit Stage Left.

The most recent Music I've bought was on Vinyl.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Not playing files, want to transmit actual live input. Right now looking at just one satellite output, but being synced would be nice if expand across the whole site. Satellite output some ~300'-500' away from soundboard, quality is secondary so no need to stay analog or run dedicated audio lines.

93 SC Tbird
93 5.0 Tbird
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 11:59 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowez View Post
Not playing files, want to transmit actual live input. Right now looking at just one satellite output, but being synced would be nice if expand across the whole site. Satellite output some ~300'-500' away from soundboard, quality is secondary so no need to stay analog or run dedicated audio lines.
Based on what you are talking about doing -- single live audio stream input to one or more endpoints (what you call satellite outputs), you might consider something with Raspberry Pi 3 model B.
When on sale, ypou can pick these up for $25 (MSRP is $35) and the model Bs inlcude both WIFI plus a "good enough" audio DAC (not as high quality as a standalone sound card but you already said sound quality was secondary).

https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_p...dio_streaming/
https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.co...g-audio-server
https://stmllr.net/blog/live-mp3-str...-raspberry-pi/

IceCast or VLC seem to be the popular choices

That's probably the cheap/nerdy way to solve your problem.

---
Easy/$ way to solve the problem would be a PC at the source end and a Sonos client at the satellite.
https://www.howtogeek.com/292842/how...-sonos-player/

Or a Sonos device at each end
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answe...ne-in-on-sonos

Not sure if multiple Sonos clients will sync to each other with the PC as the source but my I'm guessing they probably will work
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answe...w/party%20mode

I'm sure there's a way to do this with the Raspberry Pis but you'll probably have to do the synchronization (adjusting playback delay) yourself.

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Well that confirms what I've found, guess I didn't miss anything unfortunately.

I liked the Raspberry idea when I found it but not ideal for other users, I don't want something that only I can use in this application. The tech illiterate need to be know what to do.

93 SC Tbird
93 5.0 Tbird

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in