TCCoA Forums banner

Headgasket Parts

1K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  PCD 
#1 ·
I'm going to be changing out my Headgaskets here soon. Where is the best place to find the Fel-Pro Upper Motor Gasket Set, and the ARP Head Bolts.

I parked the car until i can repair them. Today i checked the oil and it still looked like normal used oil. No coolant at all in it. This means my bottom end is probably still great right? It also seems like the leak was very small. When i have the heads off, i plan to have them milled to make the surface smooth. Although they probably aren't that bad it's still cheap insurance. What are some tips on doing the headgasket repair job right. I plan on picking up a Haynes Manual and a Click Type Torque Wrench to do it right. Anything else i should look out for?

#2 ·
You can have the heads checked for flatness before you have them milled.

You can buy fel-pro gaskets and ARP head bolts HERE You'll also need the upper engine gasket kit from fel-pro, you can buy it at an auto parts store.

It's a good idea to change the oil 3-4 times after you get the engine back together and started, this'll clean out any coolant in the engine (even if you can't see it) and prevent hydro-lock

If you have a car friend ask him to help you out. It's always easier with two people, especially if he's an mn12er.

-Thomas

#3 ·
Look out for rust on the exhaust manifold bolts. The bolts that hold the manifolds to the downtubes made my HG job a royal pain. Also, it's a good idea to label connectors and such. And take some pictures so you can see how to route things over and under each other. I like to keep little parts and nuts and bolts that go together in Zip-loc bags, one for each group. Oh, and organize all the pushrods and rocker arms by which cylinder they came from and reinstall them in the same exact place. You can use an egg carton to hold the bolts and rockers and poke the pushrods through the bottom of the carton. Oh, and your O2 sensors may be damaged from coolant contamination. PS, when you use silicone sealant, make sure it is O2 sensor safe, because silicone damages O2 sensors.

Also, I like to shop here for all kinds of auto parts:
RockAuto.com

I hope your repair goes well!

#5 ·
Yeah I noticed that too, sorry. you can get fel-pro gaskets from most any auto parts store along with the upper engine gasket kit.

You don't have to put rockers and pushrods back in the same place they're all the same. But doesn't really matter.

It's a good idea to spray some wd-40 on the manifold bolts the day before you tear into the engine, just makes things easier.

I didn't really mark connectors or take pictures because as long as they all get to where they're going they don't need to be routed any special way. And every connector is different other than the fuel rail connectors, but they line up well.

One thing you can do though, it to mark which spark plug wire goes to what cylinder. It saves you time by not having to look it up in a manual later.

-Thomas

#6 ·
Make sure and drain the coolant really good before you start working. Then pull the plugs and rotate the engine a few times around to push anything out of the cylinders. You dont want that stuff pouring down into your block when you break the heads off. good luck!

#8 ·
AEDM8 said:
Can you use the 99 head gaskets on an early model. Say a 90 3.8?

Im thinking yes, done it before but dont remember.

Thanks-
I would have to say no, since the coolant holes are different. The first pic is of a 89-97? singleport head (3.8L N/A, not SC), the second pic is of a 99+ head.

-Rod

#10 ·
So thats a yes?

Makes me wonder. Im almost positive on my 92 we used 99 head gaskets and havnt had any problems. Id rather use something that isnt going to break again in a few thousand miles. Head gaskets are something I like to avoid doing.

#11 ·
go to ford buy the update head seat , the same one they were using for recall, it includes everything! head gaskets , intake , v/c, head bolts, i can look it up and price it tommarow, i dont think its much worse than 110.00 or so.

#12 ·
AEDM8 said:
So thats a yes?
That's a yes if you're using the SC heads or the 98 N/A singleport heads. The coolant holes in the 89-97 N/A singleport heads don't match up with the 99+ gaskets.

-Rod

#13 ·
ok its friday morning here iam at work, pn F5PZ-6051-CA, msrp is 102.98 , i could sell it to you for 83.68 plus ship

#15 ·
yea it blows, i have no afternoon deliverys either, :(

#16 ·
jk89cat said:
go to ford buy the update head seat , the same one they were using for recall, it includes everything! head gaskets , intake , v/c, head bolts, i can look it up and price it tommarow, i dont think its much worse than 110.00 or so.
What is the "v/c"? Also, are the gaskets included going to last a while or are they the same gaskets that i currently have on my 95 3.8?

#18 ·
racecougar said:
"v/c" likely stands for "valve cover" gaskets.

-Rod
yes thats right, they should be better, they are not the productions ones in your car, ford had a recall a few years back on them and this was the update kit they were using.

#20 ·
dan, if i remember correctly they changed the head gaskets and head bolts a little, your car should of been covered by the recall. or at least had the extended coverage. im not 100% i can look it up tommarow, oh i believe they we covered if they came in otherwise it was an inspection or something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.